Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schoellkopf / new West Stands

Posted by billhoward 
Schoellkopf / new West Stands
Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2016 11:23AM

Imagine what a successor to West Stands would be like combining offices, weight rooms, and stands.

I believe the old West Stands seated 7,000. The new stands don't need that many seats. It would be nice to have some of the seats - 2,000 perhaps? - under a roof or awning to improve the fan experience on rainy or snowy gamedays. Cold you can deal with; rain is harder.

Perhaps the press box moves closer to the field and includes skyboxes for boosters or fan groups or corporate events. Maybe that's part of the offices under the stands. Go to Ivy football games especially at HYP and you'll see impressive tailgates sponsored by brokerage firms.

Please make the stands - lowest row of seats - start at least a half-dozen feet off field level so your view isn't affected by people on the sidelines or any canopied scorer tables or player enclosures. It was disappointing that the Berman Field stands are so low. Berman feels low-rent compared to, say, Princeton's Class of 1952 field for lax / soccer. Its 4000 capacity is about right, just about filled for a major event such as Princeton-Cornell lax when both teams are nationally ranked. It's also surrounded by evergreens, making it feel like an enclosed facility.

Re: Schoellkopf / new West Stands
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.cupolice.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2016 06:35AM

I believe the plan is to shift the field surface closer to the cresent side of the stadium, thus giving more space for whatever long term plan they have for the west side.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 07:13AM

Cop at Lynah
I believe the plan is to shift the field surface closer to the cresent side of the stadium, thus giving more space for whatever long term plan they have for the west side.

That's a good point.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 02:40PM

Just plant trees. I have always loved the end zone view of the trees leading down into the Cascadilla Creek gorge. Wrap that all the way around the west side of the stadium; it will be unique and bucolic, and one small step away from the increasing cluttering and uglification of the campus.

Date: March 15, 2016 08:01PM

Trotsky
Just plant trees. I have always loved the end zone view of the trees leading down into the Cascadilla Creek gorge. Wrap that all the way around the west side of the stadium; it will be unique and bucolic, and one small step away from the increasing cluttering and uglification of the campus.

I don't think they can afford not to develop the shrinking land/space available to support 36 athletic teams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 08:02PM by Ken711.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 08:32PM

Ken711
Trotsky

I don't think they can afford not to develop the shrinking land/space available to support 36 athletic teams.
Drop football; that'll pay for the trees. The background will be beautiful for our next lax national championship.

Ship the whole Eng school to Roosevelt Island and raze that whole part of the campus.

And some Aggie please fix the goddamn Dutch elms.

Date: March 15, 2016 09:21PM

Trotsky
Ken711
Trotsky

Drop football; that'll pay for the trees. The background will be beautiful for our next lax national championship.

Ship the whole Eng school to Roosevelt Island and raze that whole part of the campus.

Good one...:-D

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2016 07:13AM

Trotsky
Ken711
Trotsky

Certainly don't care about football.

Many of us wouldn't have attended CU, if Engr was not on campus. Hell, school diversity was one of the main reasons some of us didn't go to Clarkson or RPI. I might have followed my brother to Lehigh and now be following wrestling.:-/

They are coming up with good elm trees, not that any of us will ever get to see those beautiful canopies again.:`-(

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 16, 2016 09:01AM

Indeed, there may be some hope on the elms:

[www.bostonglobe.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2016 12:07PM

Killer
Indeed, there may be some hope on the elms:
[www.bostonglobe.com]
The road (Washington Road) from Route 1 into Princeton campus has a spectacular run of elms that somehow have escaped the blight. [en.wikipedia.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login