Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs

Posted by billhoward 
Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2015 10:16PM

Cornell gets in as the last home seed (strongest SOS in Ivies)
From Ivies, Yale, Brown and Cornell but not Princeton.
From New York State, Syracuse, Cornell, Colgate, Albany, Marist (play in)

For all our griping about Cornell's season being below expectations, think how Princeton (possible first team out) feels about the last decade: 2006 7-seed lose second round to Syracuse, 2007 lose first round to Georgetown, 2009 4-seed lose second round 6-4 to Cornell, 2010 6-seed lose first round to Notre Dame, 2012 lose first round to Virginia. 2010-2015 four no-invites plus two one-and-dones.

The NCAA wants bus trip games first round (or is the round of 16 now the second round?) where possible, but are they also telling Cornell: You beat Albany once, you have a home not neutral game this time, prove your worth, do it again. And as a reward you get to play (most likely) 1-seed Notre Dame in the quarterfinals.

NCAA printable bracket: [cdn.assets.insidelacrosse.com] (Actually, Inside Lacrosse bracket. NCAA's didn't load.)

(First team hosts)
Denver bracket
1. Notre Dame (10-2) vs. Towson (11-5, CAA)/High Point (10-6, SoCon) Saturday, 5 p.m., ESPNU [play-in game for Towson/High Point]
8. Cornell (10-5) vs. Albany (15-2, America East) Saturday, Noon, ESPNU (Albany losses 16-9 to Cornell at Dallas, 17-12 at Syracuse.)
Winners play in Denver

5. Duke (12-5) vs. Ohio State (11-6) Saturday, 7:30 p.m., ESPNU
4. Denver (13-2, Big East) vs. Brown (12-4), Sunday, 3 p.m., ESPNU
Winners play in Denver Saturday

Annapolis/Navy Marine Corps Stadium bracket
3. North Carolina (12-3) vs. Colgate (10-5, Patriot) Sunday, 5:15 p.m., ESPNU
6. Maryland (12-3) vs. Yale (11-4), Saturday, 2:30 p.m., ESPNU

7. Virginia (10-4) vs. Johns Hopkins (9-6, Big Ten), Sunday, 1 p.m., ESPNU
2. Syracuse (12-2, ACC) vs. Marist (13-3, MAAC)/Bryant (8-9, NEC), Sunday, 7:30 p.m., ESPNU
Winners play Sunday
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 06:01AM by billhoward.

Re: Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs
Date: May 03, 2015 11:30PM

What are the potential first round upsets? I like Yale against 6 Maryland esp. since Yale beat them 10-6 in the RS back in February. Could Ohio State get lucky against 5 Duke? Brown get incredibly lucky against 4 Denver?

Three rematches (winner first):
Cornell - Albany
Yale - Maryland
Virginia - Hopkins

This is the 40th anniversary of Maryland's last NCAA title. Since then, seven trips to the title game and bubkes.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2015 05:13AM

Wait, lax has a play-in now? I wonder, if the MAAC autobid situation in hockey happened now, if they would have let us go from 12 to 13 teams with a playin...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 04, 2015 09:52AM

jtwcornell91
Wait, lax has a play-in now? I wonder, if the MAAC autobid situation in hockey happened now, if they would have let us go from 12 to 13 teams with a playin...
You only get a playin if the number of autobids > number of tourney slots / 2. That is, at least half the participants (in the main tourney) have to be at large. Lacrosse has 10 conferences and a 16-team tourney, so they have 2 playin games among the four lowest-rated conference champions.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2015 06:48AM

And, if I might add, it was heart-warming to hear everybody involved with the Syracuse lax program whine and moan on TV last night, after being insulted by a #2 seed in the tournament.
I guess being "great" is meaningless unless the world repeatedly tells you that you are??

wank

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2015 06:01PM

Looked at Syracuse roster and they are carrying 61 on their roster with one-quarter being "redshirts". I guess Desko is stockpiling talent and at the same time keeping other teams from getting talented players. The same strategy that Bear Bryant used at Alabama back in the day.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2015 06:58PM

rss77
Looked at Syracuse roster and they are carrying 61 on their roster with one-quarter being "redshirts". I guess Desko is stockpiling talent and at the same time keeping other teams from getting talented players. The same strategy that Bear Bryant used at Alabama back in the day.
Why go there and be deep on the depth chart than another top school and start?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2015 09:19PM

also have to wonder about red shirting close to 15 kids when you only get a limited number of scholies..

Re: Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs - Albany @ Cornell
Date: May 09, 2015 01:12PM

Albany 11, Cornell 3 at the half. From 2-0 Cornell to 11-2 Albany. Ouch!

Posted by: ithacat (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 02:14PM

Said it before the hire and nothing's changed: Kerwick is an average coach and he'll turn Cornell into an average program.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 02:37PM

Every so often - less than once per generation - a player, coach, or team introduces something new that fundamentally alters the way the game is played. No, I'm not talking about Lyle Thompson's amazing performance and career - I'm talking about the 2015 Cornell offense, who will go down in history as the unit which caused the NCAA to start keeping track of a new stat: the Shotover. Shots so poorly conceived and executed that they would have been better off just throwing the ball out of bounds so the defense can at least get set.

Cornell's offense was just unbelievably bad - it was perfectly clear that they were only thinking one step at a time, and if that move didn't work, they had no clue what to do next, so they either had to pull it back to midfield to start over or take the terrible shot anyway. Ugh. Nobody was cutting, there was no movement whatsoever. One dodger (usually from 40 yards out) and 5 spectators. I'm not sure I remember making Albany pay for an early slide a single time - we just waited for the double team and shot right into it. The shots they managed to take were late, slow, and off balance with no leverage. That's a recipe for wasting a dominating faceoff performance every time.

All season, Cornell's offense has found ways to be less than the sum of its parts. If I were coach, this summer's practices would all take place on a basketball court so the offense can figure out how to create space that's not 30 yards away from the goal.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2015 02:45PM

ithacat
Said it before the hire and nothing's changed: Kerwick is an average coach and he'll turn Cornell into an average program.

Unfortunately, I'm close to agreeing with you.:-/

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2015 02:55PM

Robb
Every so often - less than once per generation - a player, coach, or team introduces something new that fundamentally alters the way the game is played. No, I'm not talking about Lyle Thompson's amazing performance and career - I'm talking about the 2015 Cornell offense, who will go down in history as the unit which caused the NCAA to start keeping track of a new stat: the Shotover. Shots so poorly conceived and executed that they would have been better off just throwing the ball out of bounds so the defense can at least get set.

Cornell's offense was just unbelievably bad - it was perfectly clear that they were only thinking one step at a time, and if that move didn't work, they had no clue what to do next, so they either had to pull it back to midfield to start over or take the terrible shot anyway. Ugh. Nobody was cutting, there was no movement whatsoever. One dodger (usually from 40 yards out) and 5 spectators. I'm not sure I remember making Albany pay for an early slide a single time - we just waited for the double team and shot right into it. The shots they managed to take were late, slow, and off balance with no leverage. That's a recipe for wasting a dominating faceoff performance every time.

All season, Cornell's offense has found ways to be less than the sum of its parts. If I were coach, this summer's practices would all take place on a basketball court so the offense can figure out how to create space that's not 30 yards away from the goal.

You are so spot on; we devolved into the type of "offense" that you so well described. The sad fact is -- and what seems to be a damning indictment of the coaching -- is that earlier in the season (think Yale) we actually showed some fluidity on offense. I frankly have ho idea what the hell happened to this team.

Posted by: BearLover (---.wrls.harvard.edu)
Date: May 09, 2015 04:41PM

Robb

Sounds like hockey!

Re: Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs - first round games
Date: May 09, 2015 04:54PM

Saturday
Albany 19, Cornell 10 - hard to overcome an 11-goal run by Albany, No. 1 Notre Dame (or Towson?) gets Lyle Thompson and the Great Danes next week in Denver.
Maryland 8, Yale 7 - Yale can't hold a 7-4 lead, hits the pipe final 10 seconds. Question on whether Yale tied late and refs missed the goal [www.insidelacrosse.com]. Ivy hopes now ride on Brown.
#2 Notre Dame 12, Towson 10 - who'd have thought so close against Towson, which needed the play-in to make the field
Ohio State 16, #5 Duke 11 - Defending champ Duke's season last 7 hours longer than Cornell's.

Sunday
Denver 15, Brown 9 - Three one-and-dones for the Ivies. Only Yale came close.
Hopkins 19, Virgina 7 - It was 13-2 at the half. Hopkins does peak later in the season, it seems. Started 4-6.
North Carolina 19, Colgate 12 - Colgate led 4-3 early
Syracuse 20, Marist 8 - Good, now two games where the winning margin was worse than Albany-Cornell.

Next weekend:

#2 Notre Dame vs #6 Albany 3:00 Saturday
#15 Ohio State vs. #3 Denver 5:30 Saturday

#2 Syracuse vs. Hopkins 12:00 Sunday
#3 UNC vs. #6 Maryland 2:30 Sunday
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 10:56PM by billhoward.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 11:20PM

Well, Cornell lax made Deadspin.

This is today's game, this is the whole season. [screengrabber.deadspin.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2015 03:23PM

ugarte
Well, Cornell lax made Deadspin.

This is today's game, this is the whole season. [screengrabber.deadspin.com]

True and disgusting barf

Posted by: CU77 (---.physics.ucsb.edu)
Date: May 11, 2015 09:03PM

To say that "this is the whole season" is nonsense. It is also a gratuitous, needless, and embarrassing (to you) insult to the players.

This year's Cornell men's lacrosse team was co-champ of the Ivies and a top-8 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Yes, they lost a first-round NCAA tournament game. So did Virginia (national champs in 2011, 2006, 2003, ...) by a worse score than Cornell lost by. Virginia's goalie had zero saves against 13 goals in the first half.

Good teams can lose, sometimes badly. Are you (or were you) on a Cornell varsity team that had anywhere close to the accomplishments of this year's lax team?? I didn't think so.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2015 12:11AM

CU77
To say that "this is the whole season" is nonsense. It is also a gratuitous, needless, and embarrassing (to you) insult to the players.

This year's Cornell men's lacrosse team was co-champ of the Ivies and a top-8 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Yes, they lost a first-round NCAA tournament game. So did Virginia (national champs in 2011, 2006, 2003, ...) by a worse score than Cornell lost by. Virginia's goalie had zero saves against 13 goals in the first half.

Good teams can lose, sometimes badly. Are you (or were you) on a Cornell varsity team that had anywhere close to the accomplishments of this year's lax team?? I didn't think so.
Oh shut up.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 12, 2015 09:44AM

CU77
Are you (or were you) on a Cornell varsity team that had anywhere close to the accomplishments of this year's lax team?? I didn't think so.
This is an instance of the dumbest class of fallacies in sports fandom.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2015 07:14PM

Kyle Rose
CU77
Are you (or were you) on a Cornell varsity team that had anywhere close to the accomplishments of this year's lax team?? I didn't think so.

I was on the championship intramural softball team my senior year. Does that count?

Date: May 12, 2015 09:36PM

toddlose
Kyle Rose
CU77
I was on the championship intramural softball team my senior year. Does that count?
Was your GPA and good works (more than walking a drunk back to campus) enough to get you nominated for Lowes Senior Class Award?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (204.27.156.---)
Date: May 13, 2015 11:43AM

billhoward
toddlose
Kyle Rose
CU77
Was your GPA and good works (more than walking a drunk back to campus) enough to get you nominated for Lowes Senior Class Award?

Or were you responsible for a documented miracle?

Re: Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs - D1 semifinals
Date: May 23, 2015 03:32PM

Denver chokes up a 4-goal lead late in the 4th, Notre Dame ties at 10 with about :10 to play. Denver wins OT faceoff, loses ball, ND brings ball into attack box and gets it stick-checked away, Denver clears as far as midfield and loses ball but ND called for procedural problem, Denver gets into box, time out, time in, score, 11-10 win. Shades of the 2009 final except the team that gave up the lead eventually won. Stands did not look overly full and only the lower deck appeared open.

After ND goes down, announcers note there'll be a B1G Ten final regardless of who wins in the second game, Hopkins or Maryland. Sort of like the Soviet Union saying the 1960 Olympic women's 4x100 clean-and-jerk was an all-USSR podium after they held Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Armenia, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Ukraine and Uzbekistan post WW-II.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 05:07PM by billhoward.

Re: Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs - attendance
Date: May 23, 2015 03:36PM

Longish piece in Saturday NY Times about attendance peaking circa 2007 then slipping each year in final, NCAA concedes mistakes were made such as jacking up ticket prices. "Any publicity is good if they spell your name right."

NYT: As Lacrosse Rises, Its Final Four Falls Fast

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2015 02:23PM

billhoward
Longish piece in Saturday NY Times about attendance peaking circa 2007 then slipping each year in final, NCAA concedes mistakes were made such as jacking up ticket prices. "Any publicity is good if they spell your name right."

NYT: As Lacrosse Rises, Its Final Four Falls Fast

Once Syracuse stopped being an automatic attendee, SU fans stopped making plans to attend every year on the reasonable expectation they'd see their team there.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2015 04:07AM

So that's what happened to Phil "Joey" Buttafuoco...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 12:18PM by jtwcornell91.

Re: Lacrosse 2015 NCAAs - Denver 10 Maryland 5
Date: May 25, 2015 04:27PM

Denver cruises to its first NCAA lax title and Bill Tierney's seventh. So we don't like Tierney because he's said to be somewhat abrupt with people who cross him, or that's just his nature. It's still pretty amazing what he's done at two different schools. Sort of, ah, Harkness-like.

Maryland remains the championship-winning lax team with the longest drought since hoisting the trophy, last in 1975, and 0x7 since including three fails this decade. Cornell last won in 1977 and is 0x3 since. Assuming you believe 2009 happened.

Date: May 25, 2015 06:00PM

Attendance reported:
Saturday    29,123    D1 semifinals, announced
Sunday      19,559    D2, D3 finals, announced
Monday      24,215    D1 final, announced 
Total       72,897

No offense, NCAA, but 20,000 people were in attendance Sunday for D2 / D3? I know a lot of Limestone / LeMoyne fans left after the first game (D2), but still. Lincoln Financial Field holds 69,1976. Nobody was (allowed?) in the end zone seats, there was virtually no one in the upper half, and even between the 30-yard lines, there were clumps of seats opens between groups of spectators. Below, photo at start of the second game, Tufts-Lynchburg. At this level of attendance, the championship game could be played on a lot of college campuses: Maryland (54,000), Rutgers (54,000), maybe even Princeton (30,000) in the corridor between Washington and New York.

However many turned out for D2/D3, it was easy to park (and under a shaded canopy), plenty of space for tailgating, easy to get through security, and it was pretty much open seating. I went with a group from Lynchburg, our son's school, their first lax title game. Everyone was excited. An alum is said to have underwritten the free barbecue (racks of ribs, chicken, chicken wings, burgers, pulled pork, brisket) and beer bash. They were excited because they hadn't yet learned the many ways your dreams get crushed, like when you go up 4-0 then get ouscored 10-2, or you lose 75% of your faceoffs, or D3's leading single-season goal scorer ever (107 G this year) shoots 2x17.

If Cornell makes a regional next year, Cornell might consider the deal Lynchburg had for students still around, and townies: thirty bucks for a bus there and back, and the game ticket (nominally $25) and that barbecue. Dying to hear about the Cornell lax Class of 2019 and if they're going to help Cornell get into and past the first round in 2016. Lot of sticks to replace.

[edit add] Reported attendance at the two regional quarterfinal sites was:
13,076 Denver (DU, Ohio State, Albany, Notre Dame)
10,235 Annapolis (UNC, Syracuse, Hopkins, Maryland). You can almost walk from Hopkins and Maryland to the Annapolis site.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 10:13PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2015 03:49PM

billhoward
Cornell last won in 1977 and is 0x3 since. Assuming you believe 2009 happened.
Think we lost championship games in 1978, 1987, 1988, and...if I think about it real hard...2009.

And I think Maryland is now 0 for 8 since 1975.

Date: May 26, 2015 09:05PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Cornell last won in 1977 and is 0x3 since. Assuming you believe 2009 happened.
Think we lost championship games in 1978, 1987, 1988, and...if I think about it real hard...2009.
And I think Maryland is now 0 for 8 since 1975.
You're right, there was the 1978 loss following the two title years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login