Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 9 @ Harvard 10 lax

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell 9 @ Harvard 10 lax
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 03:00PM

Harvard never behind after the first goal. Cornell ties in the final minute, Massimilian wins the following faceoff, loses it to Harvard, which needs about 3 strides and a shot to score. Two straight for Harvard over Cornell. We now pretty much have to win out including @ Brown (2-0 Ivy going into today2-1) and Princeton (2-1) to host the Ivy tournament. Arrgh! Box score: [gocrimson.com]

Saturday 4/2/15
Harvard 10, Cornell 9  
Penn 14, Brown 11 
Yale 10, Dartmouth 4 
Stony Brook 13, Princeton 10 

Ivies 
Cornell   3-1  To play @ Brown, Princeton (already beat Yale) 
Brown     2-1  @Yale, Cornell, Dartmouth (already beat Princeton) 
Princeton 2-1  @Dartmouth, Harvard, @ Cornell
Yale      2-2  Brown, @Harvard 
Harvard   1-2
Dartmouth 1-2
Penn      1-3 

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 10:17AM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell 9 @ Harvard 10 lax
Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2015 06:06PM

Again another tight game with Cornell's offense winning all the statistical categories for the score and the turnovers. Turnovers have really plagued the team this season plus the offense really appears stagnant with pass, pass, pass, outside shot going wide or high, the goalie making the save on goal, etc. Kerwick may need to look to his bench to give the offense a kick start. Certainly not blaming the defense or Massimillan-he won most of the faceoffs as he has all season and he will learn from his mistake. Hopefully the team will work on ball security as it faces Canisius and Hofstra.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 06:38PM

Agree - turnovers were an absolute killer. When you go 17-for-23 on faceoffs and hold the other team to 10 goals, you should win every game. Also agree about the offense - the only focus seems to be to get our shooters' hands free, but even if the shooter's hands are free, it's a save or block if the defense and goalie are set. Need much more dynamic movement of the ball and the players without the ball to open up the shooting lanes (or develop some inside shooting opportunities) and get the goalie shifting his feet.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 10:59PM

Coach Kerwick has to take some of the heat for this loss. At 9-9, when Massimillan wins the FO But is forced to come back to the Cornell side of the field he needs to use his TO (especially when he has two in his pocket). As a coach you must minimize the possibility of a transition turnover especially when, with less than 1 minute to play, the next goal will likely win the game.
Otherwise, tight game. Both defenses played stout. Cornell dealt some devastating hits late in the game but seemed to either get called for a push/slash or turned the ball over in transition. Wind looked like a major factor limiting the longer passes and transition offense for both teams.
Need a tune up before we finish the season with Brown and Princeton or we could be outside looking in for an NCAA bid.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 11:31AM

MattShaf
Coach Kerwick has to take some of the heat for this loss. At 9-9, when Massimillan wins the FO But is forced to come back to the Cornell side of the field he needs to use his TO (especially when he has two in his pocket). As a coach you must minimize the possibility of a transition turnover especially when, with less than 1 minute to play, the next goal will likely win the game.
Otherwise, tight game. Both defenses played stout. Cornell dealt some devastating hits late in the game but seemed to either get called for a push/slash or turned the ball over in transition. Wind looked like a major factor limiting the longer passes and transition offense for both teams.
Need a tune up before we finish the season with Brown and Princeton or we could be outside looking in for an NCAA bid.

This was also discussed a bit on laxpower, but my feeling is that Kerwick is not allowed to call a timeout there since Dom is going backwards into the defensive zone? Does he not have to successfully clear the ball into the attacking zone before calling the timeout there?

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 07:28PM

semsox
MattShaf

This was also discussed a bit on laxpower, but my feeling is that Kerwick is not allowed to call a timeout there since Dom is going backwards into the defensive zone? Does he not have to successfully clear the ball into the attacking zone before calling the timeout there?

I always thought you needed possession in the offensive end (both feet clearly in) to take a timeout.

Date: April 05, 2015 09:12PM

I scoured NCAA rule book and can't find that stipulation. I think it is common practice to get the ball in the zone first to stop the clear clock and prevent the other team from setting up a tougher ride. Certainly we see coaches call timeout with a defenseman in trouble or a clear in trouble in many circumstances. If the face off has separate rules I am unaware of them but will re look at the NCAA rule book and post anything I find on the topic.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 09:20PM

NCAA Men's Lacrosse
Rules & Interpretations
2015-2016

Team Timeouts

SECTION 27

When the ball is dead, only a member of either team who is
on the field or a team’s head coach may request an official to call timeout.

During play, official team timeouts may be called by a field player of the team
in possession of the ball or by that team’s head coach only when the player in
possession of the ball has contact with the ground with at least one foot in contact
with the ground on or across the restraining line in his offensive end of the field.

Date: April 05, 2015 09:42PM

Stand corrected and apologies to Coach Kerwick who clearly knows the rules better than myself at the college level. Thanks for the link. FWIW, this is not the rule at the High school (section 25 article 2) level.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 10:09PM by MattShaf.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 09:50PM

MattShaf
Stand corrected and apologies to Coach Kerwick who clearly knows the rules better than myself at the college level. Thanks for the link.

My pleasure.
I wasn't 100% sure either.

;-)

Date: April 05, 2015 10:13PM

Edited my original post to reflect the high school rule which allows the team in possession of the ball to call timeout at any location on field. This is also rule at youth level and in the NLL. MLL doesn't have a restraining Box so not sure how they play it.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2015 12:20AM

Coach K does a good job of calling a TO to take care of the ball. Note the 2 TOs in the first half for this purpose. We had won the faceoff but he didn't like what he saw as we moved into the offensive zone; pressure on the ball carrier, poor matchups, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login