Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell academic program coordinator may have played role in UNC scandal . . .

Posted by George64 
Cornell academic program coordinator may have played role in UNC scandal . . .
Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2014 08:44PM

"Former head football coach John Bunting admitted that he knew of the paper classes and said that former Director of Football Cynthia Reynolds told him they were part of her strategy to keep players eligible. Reynolds, who is now an academic program coordinator at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, was one of four employees who refused to cooperate with Wainstein's investigation."

CNN report

Re: Cornell academic program coordinator may have played role in UNC scandal . . .
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 23, 2014 06:52AM

George64
"Former head football coach John Bunting admitted that he knew of the paper classes and said that former Director of Football Cynthia Reynolds told him they were part of her strategy to keep players eligible. Reynolds, who is now an academic program coordinator at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, was one of four employees who refused to cooperate with Wainstein's investigation."

CNN report

If true, she should be fired.

Re: Cornell academic program coordinator may have played role in UNC scandal . . .
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2014 07:54AM

Jim Hyla
George64

CNN report

If true, she should be fired.

My thought as well. The fact that she refused to cooperate in the investigation, given her key position at UNC as it relates to the scandal, does not bode well for her, except perhaps from a legal standpoint. But from the article, it's not much of a leap to assume she was knee deep in it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 08:31AM by scoop85.

Date: October 23, 2014 08:53AM

The Cynthia Reynolds at Cornell is the academic programs administrator for the School of Applied and Engineering Physics, so nothing to do with athletics. Any paper classes in AEP, Jim?

More
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 09:00AM by George64.

Date: October 23, 2014 02:24PM

Given that I'm laid up at home a couple of days, I took the time to read the full report. Reynolds had good reason not to agree to be interviewed, as the evidence in the report -- including emails sent by her and to her from others at UNC -- makes clear that she steered UNC football players to these phony paper-only "courses" solely as a way for the players to boost their GPA's and maintain their eligibility.

Most damning is her email to a UNC football operations coordinator sent in the summer of 2009 after Debby Crowder, the staff member at UNC who was responsible for the phony courses (and graded seemingly every paper submitted as an A or high B regardless of the quality), announced her retirement. Reynolds wrote, "Ms. Crowder is retiring at the end of July ... if the guys papers are not in ... I would expect D's or C's at best. Most need better than that. ALL WORK FROM THE AFAM DEPARTMENT MUST BE DONE AND TURNED IN ON THE LAST DAY OF CLASS."

I assume her lawyer has advised her that speaking to the investigators could only expose her to possible criminal liability.

Based on what I read in that report, Reynolds has no business working at Cornell or in any other academic environment.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 03:00PM by scoop85.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2014 03:17PM

George64
The Cynthia Reynolds at Cornell is the academic programs administrator for the School of Applied and Engineering Physics, so nothing to do with athletics. Any paper classes in AEP, Jim?

More

Let's see, I don't think so, but maybe the physics department course with Prof Hans Bethe. Remembering some of my Prelim grades from that course, I wish it had been paper.nut

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 05:50PM

Article in Ithaca Journal: [www.ithacajournal.com]

Date: October 23, 2014 07:48PM

Al DeFlorio

Based on the IJ article it appears as if Cornell could care less about her active participation in academic fraud, as long as it doesn't happen at Cornell.

Shameful.

Date: October 23, 2014 08:05PM

In an interesting twist, in 2010, after Reynolds was let go by UNC, she filed an age discrimination complaint with the EEOC: [www.newsobserver.com] In the article, she is quoted as saying, ironically, that "[t]here are policies, and you have to follow them."

If nothing else the woman has chutzpah.

Date: October 24, 2014 11:09AM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Based on the IJ article it appears as if Cornell could care less about her active participation in academic fraud, as long as it doesn't happen at Cornell.

Shameful.

So tell me, what should Cornell do, fire her? If so ,why? If not, then what should they do?

They have said they have nothing to do with what happened at UNC, and thus nothing to say about the report, at this time (my addition).

I said, "If true, they should fire her." So, rightfully I think, they are letting the process work through. I hope you wouldn't punish someone just because something is reported in the press.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 24, 2014 12:03PM

I'm sure Cornell is doing what their extremely expensive lawyers are telling them to do. At that level, there are no principles, there are only outcomes.

Date: October 24, 2014 02:09PM

Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Shameful.

So tell me, what should Cornell do, fire her? If so ,why? If not, then what should they do?

They have said they have nothing to do with what happened at UNC, and thus nothing to say about the report, at this time (my addition).

I said, "If true, they should fire her." So, rightfully I think, they are letting the process work through. I hope you wouldn't punish someone just because something is reported in the press.

Jim, I'm on the same page -- as an attorney I do believe in due process. But certainly I don't want Cornell simply saying "it's UNC's problem" and washing their hands of the entire situation. If there is sufficient proof that Reynolds did what the report said she did -- and her own e-mail is rather damning evidence -- then she should be fired.

Date: October 24, 2014 04:30PM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Shameful.

Jim, I'm on the same page -- as an attorney I do believe in due process. But certainly I don't want Cornell simply saying "it's UNC's problem" and washing their hands of the entire situation. If there is sufficient proof that Reynolds did what the report said she did -- and her own e-mail is rather damning evidence -- then she should be fired.

This post is certainly of a different tone than your first. Let the process unwind before you condemn Cornell.

Date: October 24, 2014 05:53PM

Jim Hyla
scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Shameful.

This post is certainly of a different tone than your first. Let the process unwind before you condemn Cornell.

Yeah, in hindsight my initial post was a bit more forceful than intended.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2014 11:44PM

I think she should at least be suspended while this process unfolds. If this situation had materialized and reached this point while she was in the application stage, would she even have been considered for the job at Cornell? Isn't this allegation at least as serious as the situation that burned Ben Deluca?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 11:52PM by TimV.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 09:29AM

scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Shameful.

Unless the employee made a significant misrepesentation about her background I doubt that Cornell has a reason to fire her. If she told the truth on her application and resume and Cornell hired her then she should be judged by the job she does at Cornell.

Honestly, is anybody really surprised that this sort of thing happens. Reminds me of Casablanca

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]

Croupier: Your winnings, sir.

Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.

[aloud]

Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

Date: October 25, 2014 10:28AM

Towerroad
scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Shameful.

Unless the employee made a significant misrepesentation about her background I doubt that Cornell has a reason to fire her. If she told the truth on her application and resume and Cornell hired her then she should be judged by the job she does at Cornell.

Honestly, is anybody really surprised that this sort of thing happens. Reminds me of Casablanca

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

[aloud]

So, I'm sure that during her interview she said, "I participated in academic fraud at UNC, so I thought I'd come back to Cornell before it hit the fan," and the interviewer said, "great -- when can you start?"

Give me a break.

Date: October 25, 2014 11:20AM

scoop85
Towerroad
scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Jim Hyla
scoop85
Al DeFlorio

Shameful.

[aloud]

So, I'm sure that during her interview she said, "I participated in academic fraud at UNC, so I thought I'd come back to Cornell before it hit the fan," and the interviewer said, "great -- when can you start?"

Give me a break.

The topic probably never came up. If she did not misrepresent herself to Cornell then she should be judged on her Cornell performance. You can create a perfectly true resume without putting an embarassing event on the document. Nobody puts the embarrassing stuff on their resume. Would you? She was not under any obligation to disclose an embarassing fact. If Cornell asked and she did not tell the truth that is a different matter.

Next time you apply for a job, think about all the times you did embarassing or stupid things and put them on your resume.

I am not condoning what happened at UNC by any means but I am also not so green as to think this activity is not replicated 100's of other institutions.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 12:15PM

If the stories are true then this isn't just something "embarrassing" that she did at her last job. Its committing academic fraud. A pattern of such behavior indicates that this individual is unsuited for a job as ana academic program coordinator.

I have no way of knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell has clauses in their emplyment agreements that would allow for dismissal on these grounds.

Cornell absolutely should wait until this situation plays itself out. Even though this isn't a court she deserves the presumption of innocence until culpubility is clearly demonstrated.

Date: October 25, 2014 06:24PM

KeithK
If the stories are true then this isn't just something "embarrassing" that she did at her last job. Its committing academic fraud. A pattern of such behavior indicates that this individual is unsuited for a job as ana academic program coordinator.

I have no way of knowing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell has clauses in their emplyment agreements that would allow for dismissal on these grounds.

Cornell absolutely should wait until this situation plays itself out. Even though this isn't a court she deserves the presumption of innocence until culpubility is clearly demonstrated.

First off I doubt that Cornell has employment agreements for people in these positions. I suspect they are employees at will.

Secondly, who exactly committeed academic fraud? The person in quesiton was not an academic (an important distintion in academia). The fraud was committeed by the instructor (an academic) who clearly did not do their job and potentially by the "student" (an academic) who did not do theirs either. The advisor was just that someone who know where the "gut" classes were and encouraged "students" to take them.

Did you ever take a "gut"? Were you guilty of fraud? Or was the instructor guilty of fraud? The answer to the second question is quite possibly yes, at the least consumer fraud for failing to deliver value for the very considerable sums in question.

Provided the person in question did not lie on her application or interview, Cornell has little recourse if she is doing the administrative job she was hired for.

Date: October 26, 2014 06:36AM

Towerroad
KeithK

First off I doubt that Cornell has employment agreements for people in these positions. I suspect they are employees at will.

Secondly, who exactly committeed academic fraud? The person in quesiton was not an academic (an important distintion in academia). The fraud was committeed by the instructor (an academic) who clearly did not do their job and potentially by the "student" (an academic) who did not do theirs either. The advisor was just that someone who know where the "gut" classes were and encouraged "students" to take them.

Did you ever take a "gut"? Were you guilty of fraud? Or was the instructor guilty of fraud? The answer to the second question is quite possibly yes, at the least consumer fraud for failing to deliver value for the very considerable sums in question.

Provided the person in question did not lie on her application or interview, Cornell has little recourse if she is doing the administrative job she was hired for.

Unless you have knowledge of Cornell's contracts, I don't know where you get the basis for saying this.

Date: October 26, 2014 08:29AM

Jim Hyla
Towerroad
KeithK

Unless you have knowledge of Cornell's contracts, I don't know where you get the basis for saying this.

I suggested that there was no employment contract. I have never had an employment contract and I suspect that the vast majority of posters here have not either. Do you have knowledge to the contrary. If so I will stand corrected.

My fundamental point is that the person in question is not an academic and you have to be an academic (instructor, prof, researcher, student, dean etc) to commit academic fraud. Only an academic can commit academic fraud.

Academics jealously guard their "Academic Freedom" this includes the right to grade as they see fit. If they have Academic Freedom then they have to take responsibility for their use of that freedom. UNC fired a few at the bottom of this scheme and then said "Nothing to see here folks, move along".

I spent a semester as an instructor of Stats at a local U. I was unsure about the grading ruberic and asked the chairman of my program about what mean and standard deviaiton should be. He looked genuinely puzzled at the question and had no answer. I don't think anyone ever asked him that sort of question before. Of course I should just use my best judgement. I could have given all A's or all D's and nobody could change them.

My point is that the person who made it know what the needed grade was did not do anything wrong. I had students who came to me with tales of woe about the grade they needed. The person who committeed fraud was the person solely responsible for issuing the grade the instructor and the instructors academic supervisors if they knew what was going on.

The whole business stinks of course and far more heads should role but will not. The NC$$ will make a few grumbling noises and then the same thing will go on an 100's of other Universities (can you be sure it is not happening at Cornell?).

The interesting question is, since UNC is public and the public's money is involved did the perpetrators committ actual fraud which could entail becoming a guest of the state.

Date: October 26, 2014 10:29AM

Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Towerroad
KeithK

I suggested that there was no employment contract. I have never had an employment contract and I suspect that the vast majority of posters here have not either. Do you have knowledge to the contrary. If so I will stand corrected.

My fundamental point is that the person in question is not an academic and you have to be an academic (instructor, prof, researcher, student, dean etc) to commit academic fraud. Only an academic can commit academic fraud.

Academics jealously guard their "Academic Freedom" this includes the right to grade as they see fit. If they have Academic Freedom then they have to take responsibility for their use of that freedom. UNC fired a few at the bottom of this scheme and then said "Nothing to see here folks, move along".

I spent a semester as an instructor of Stats at a local U. I was unsure about the grading ruberic and asked the chairman of my program about what mean and standard deviaiton should be. He looked genuinely puzzled at the question and had no answer. I don't think anyone ever asked him that sort of question before. Of course I should just use my best judgement. I could have given all A's or all D's and nobody could change them.

My point is that the person who made it know what the needed grade was did not do anything wrong. I had students who came to me with tales of woe about the grade they needed. The person who committeed fraud was the person solely responsible for issuing the grade the instructor and the instructors academic supervisors if they knew what was going on.

The whole business stinks of course and far more heads should role but will not. The NC$$ will make a few grumbling noises and then the same thing will go on an 100's of other Universities (can you be sure it is not happening at Cornell?).

The interesting question is, since UNC is public and the public's money is involved did the perpetrators committ actual fraud which could entail becoming a guest of the state.

Even if only a faculty member can be guilty of perpetrating academic fraud (and I'm not so sure that's correct), Reynolds quite possibly conspired to commit academic fraud -- her own email cited in the report puts her squarely in the crosshairs.

Based on the information in the public domain I'll be disappointed if Cornell doesn't thoroughly investigate the circumstances of her hiring, especially what if any information was divulged regarding her activities at UNC

Date: October 26, 2014 11:57AM

scoop85
Towerroad
Jim Hyla
Towerroad
KeithK

Even if only a faculty member can be guilty of perpetrating academic fraud (and I'm not so sure that's correct), Reynolds quite possibly conspired to commit academic fraud -- her own email cited in the report puts her squarely in the crosshairs.

Based on the information in the public domain I'll be disappointed if Cornell doesn't thoroughly investigate the circumstances of her hiring, especially what if any information was divulged regarding her activities at UNC

I would like to clarify 3 points in my argeument

1. Students can commit academic fraud they are part of the academic community. Deans, Dept Heads, Provosts, and Presidents can as well. I do not think that people who's job function is adminsitrative can. At a University there is a very real class structure line between those that consider themselves "Academis" and those lesser administrative beings that existe merely to serve them.

2. Academic fraud is not a crime. I am not sure that conspiracy to commit it is even a real thing.

3. The "Students" involved also bear some responsibility. If they took one of these courses should their diploma's be revoked?

My supositions are based on the person in question being a member of the lower admintrative class and being an employee at will. I am certain that Cornell is looking at her application and resume. But, if she did not lie on those documents then the decision to hire her is Cornell's. For all we know she told the University about her experience.

Finally, I think it would be healthy if the NC AG began investigating with an eye towards prosecution. A dean or AD or two doing the perp walk would be a real wake up call for an incredibly corrupt system.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 26, 2014 12:07PM

Towerroad
Finally, I think it would be healthy if the NC AG began investigating with an eye towards prosecution. A dean or AD or two doing the perp walk would be a real wake up call for an incredibly corrupt system.

That'll never happen. Think about all of the income that comes into North Carolina every Saturday afternoon (or every time there's a basketball game). Nobody wants to kill that golden-egg laying goose.

Date: October 27, 2014 07:25AM

And my point is that none of us have any idea about her hiring, contract or not. So none of us can make any statement, based upon facts, about what Cornell can do.

Date: October 27, 2014 08:04AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Towerroad

That'll never happen. Think about all of the income that comes into North Carolina every Saturday afternoon (or every time there's a basketball game). Nobody wants to kill that golden-egg laying goose.

I agree, no AG is going to get reelected for putting killing the golden goose. I suspect that the NC$$ will have to issue some sort of sanction complete with double talk and hyprocacy.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 11:56AM

Jim Hyla
And my point is that none of us have any idea about her hiring, contract or not. So none of us can make any statement, based upon facts, about what Cornell can do.

I forgot that Al Gore invented the internet soley for the purpose of diseminating verifyalby true statements and that idle conjecture and speculation is strictly forbidden. My bad, I hope the fine is not too big.

Date: October 28, 2014 07:45AM

Towerroad
Jim Hyla

I forgot that Al Gore invented the internet soley for the purpose of diseminating verifyalby true statements and that idle conjecture and speculation is strictly forbidden. My bad, I hope the fine is not too big.

Thanks, I couldn't have said it better myself. It fits the prior statement to a T.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: October 28, 2014 03:50PM

Both of you, grow up. Do people disagree with you offline? Is this how you react? Or do you nod your head and walk away? At least take it to PM. Holy shit.

Date: November 05, 2014 10:27AM

More from Inside Higher Ed.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 05, 2014 12:16PM

Give her a fair trial...then hang her. whistle

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2014 01:44PM

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen an online column with reader's comments that were actually thoughtful, constructive and didn't once use the word "asshole." Imagine that.nut

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2014 09:24PM

George64
More from Inside Higher Ed.
Inside Higher Education Editor Scott Jaschik is Class of '85 and takes an active interest in Cornell when there are newsworthy matters and apparently still keeps abreast of The Sun's stories and editorials. He was back at reunion in 2005 and sitting in the audience when Jeff Lehman announced he was stepping down as Cornell president. That generated several thorough stories on the site. Cornell maybe wished at that point Jaschik had chosen Penn to matriculate.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2014 12:12PM

Former UNC football player on academic fraud

Nothing in here about Cynthia Reynolds in particular, but more about the fraud in general.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login