Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Throw in the towel?

Posted by Towerroad 
Throw in the towel?
Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 06:14PM

Should we just throw in the towel on Football? 9 winning seasons since 1980. Columbia does not play hockey or lax, Penn does not play hockey. Is football really worth the effort if we are not competitive?

Re: Throw in the towel?
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2014 06:41PM

Towerroad
Should we just throw in the towel on Football? 9 winning seasons since 1980. Columbia does not play hockey or lax, Penn does not play hockey. Is football really worth the effort if we are not competitive?
Not yet. There's still probably a shitload of alumni $$$ tied to it. Give it another decade for our equivalents of Monty Burns to croak. By then youth football will probably be dead anyway because of the adverse health effects. Do the Ivies have boxing teams anymore?

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 12:21PM

Not as long as Columbia exists. Three winning seasons in the last 50 years. Five since the founding of the league in 1956. In 24 out of the last 60 seasons (40%), they failed to win 2 games.

I can remember without researching three times where Cornell had an chance at a League Championship entering the final week.

Columbia plays on, so should we.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 12:38PM

RichH
Not as long as Columbia exists. Three winning seasons in the last 50 years. Five since the founding of the league in 1956. In 24 out of the last 60 seasons (40%), they failed to win 2 games.

I can remember without researching three times where Cornell had an chance at a League Championship entering the final week.

Just because Columbia makes bad decisions should we?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 01:03PM

RichH

Never give up. Never surrender.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 02:43PM

Towerroad
RichH

Losing is not a reason to stop. Holy crap, man.

Date: October 20, 2014 03:03PM

ugarte
Towerroad
RichH

Losing is not a reason to stop. Holy crap, man.
It is not necessarily a reason to continue either. If it were a question a year or two or a few seasons that is one thing. But sometime you just have to say, "We are not good at this, lets take the precious resources we allocate to this activity and reallocate them." I don't know if football at Cornell is so profitable that it carries its own weight or not.

I am being a bit of a devils advocate here but I think it is a healthy topic. MIT, Cal Tech, U of Chicago don't have teams and they are all fine schools.

Date: October 20, 2014 03:13PM

Trotsky
RichH

Never give up. Never surrender.

Long may it wave.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 04:07PM

Trotsky
Towerroad
Not yet. There's still probably a shitload of alumni $$$ tied to it. Give it another decade for our equivalents of Monty Burns to croak. By then youth football will probably be dead anyway because of the adverse health effects. Do the Ivies have boxing teams anymore?

I agree that football as we know it may be endangered as more and more data on the health effects comes in. Unfortunately, the brain health issue is also seriously affecting ice hockey. Perhaps ice hockey could more easily make adjustments without fundamentally altering the nature of the sport.

BTW, My 2 cents: Losing itself is no reason tothorw in the towel. Econmics and other priorities maybe. But football is iconic.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 20, 2014 04:33PM

Roy 82
BTW, My 2 cents: Losing itself is no reason tothorw in the towel. Econmics and other priorities maybe. But football is iconic.
Especially so for college athletics, at least at schools that aren't masquerading as semi-pro teams. If the program is graduating its student athletes and there aren't significant off field issues then I see no reason that the win-loss record should be important in the fate of the program. And FWIW I have essentially no interest in Cornell football (precious litle for the NFL either these days).

Date: October 20, 2014 04:34PM

Roy 82
Trotsky
Towerroad

I agree that football as we know it may be endangered as more and more data on the health effects comes in. Unfortunately, the brain health issue is also seriously affecting ice hockey. Perhaps ice hockey could more easily make adjustments without fundamentally altering the nature of the sport.

The Freshman beanie used to be iconic as well.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 04:47PM

Towerroad

Cornell women's hockey winning seasons 1980-2009 (8):

I don't recall anyone clamoring to shut it down in 2005.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 04:56PM

KeithK
Roy 82
Especially so for college athletics, at least at schools that aren't masquerading as semi-pro teams. If the program is graduating its student athletes and there aren't significant off field issues then I see no reason that the win-loss record should be important in the fate of the program.
+1. This is the only point that really matters to a program like Cornell's.

And I have zero interest in Ivy League football. I just happen to think that if the alumni and administration want to keep it going, and the students still have interest in playing, then they should play. If you or I don't want to pay it any attention, that's fine too.

Date: October 20, 2014 05:04PM

Chris '03
Towerroad

Cornell women's hockey winning seasons 1980-2009 (8):

I don't recall anyone clamoring to shut it down in 2005.

Title IX considerations would have weighed heavily. For another, football has not been to a Bowl (Frozen 4 equivalent) since the 30's.

I am not necessarily clamoring to shut football down. I go to the game every other year when Cornell is in Cambridge and enjoy myself throughly. The Band always wins. But I think this is a question that should be asked.

After all, Cornell decided that it was not interested in Nursing or Nuclear Reactors. Times change.

Posted by: mountainred (69.43.54.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:24PM

The Ivies started as a football conference and I think the Ivy Agreement specifically states that there must be round robin competition in football (and in as many other sports as possible). Dropping football probably means dropping out of the Ivy League, which is not going to happen.

Posted by: dbilmes (32.218.122.---)
Date: October 20, 2014 05:56PM

I wonder what Ed Marino has to say about this.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 06:19PM

dbilmes
Something about the spellcheck button perhaps, or not confusing him with the Tom and Bill Marinaro lacrosse family?

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2014 11:49PM

mountainred
The Ivies started as a football conference and I think the Ivy Agreement specifically states that there must be round robin competition in football (and in as many other sports as possible). Dropping football probably means dropping out of the Ivy League, which is not going to happen.
I think it's pretty unlikely that we would be kicked out of the Ivies if we dropped football. Even if the agreement says something to that effect agreements can be changed.

Date: October 21, 2014 11:23AM

dbilmes
I am not sure why Ed Marinaro's opinion should carry any more weight than anyone elses (his $ are a different matter). I am certain that most if not all the current and former players would object to this course of action but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad idea.

Financial considerations are important, I don't know if football is a money maker or not. What is clear is that we are not very good at it.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2014 07:22PM

Yes Caltech does not have football but the University of Chicago and MIT both have varsity football.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2014 07:45PM

MIT at least had about 50 years off.

Also: let's hear it for CalTech baseball!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 07:46PM by Trotsky.

Date: October 22, 2014 12:41PM

Towerroad
dbilmes
I am not sure why Ed Marinaro's opinion should carry any more weight than anyone elses (his $ are a different matter). I am certain that most if not all the current and former players would object to this course of action but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad idea.

Financial considerations are important, I don't know if football is a money maker or not. What is clear is that we are not very good at it.
Ok you win, it looks like a conference we could be competitive in

[www.newenglandfootballconference.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 22, 2014 03:07PM

Towerroad
Ok you win, it looks like a conference we could be competitive in

[www.newenglandfootballconference.com]

They are in the ECAC...

Date: October 22, 2014 07:55PM

Trotsky
MIT at least had about 50 years off.

Also: let's hear it for CalTech baseball!

A colleague I knew from grad school was a catcher in his undergrad days for CalTech. He threw a party after that win in 2003, as it broke a similarly long losing streak.

Also, due to a self-reported violation, they had to "vacate" the losing streak. Smart, I guess? From [espn.go.com]

Caltech, like USC, Ohio State and Penn State, is on NCAA probation, believe it or not. The Beavers self-reported after violating one of the NCAA's myriad rules, this one stating that student-athletes have to take a full course load to be eligible.

Caltech students aren't officially taking a full course load until the end of the third week of every term. They are allowed to shop the tough classes before finalizing their curricula and many student-athletes chose academic prudence over rigid adherence to NCAA rules.

The baseball team had to vacate its 0-112 record during the period it "cheated."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 07:59PM by RichH.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2014 01:38PM

Cornell trails Brown 14-2 with 2:30 left in the half.

I have watched almost 35 years of mostly bad Cornell football. This is the most inept offensive football I've seen in all those years. The offensive line is hopeless

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 02:19PM

Don't understand why Cornell isn't competitive in football. Wasn't too long ago when we had reasonable success. Under Jim Hofher, from 1990-97, Cornell went 33-23 in Ivies, never finishing below 4th.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 02:23PM

Don't understand why Cornell isn't competitive in football. Wasn't too long ago we had reasonable success. Under Jim Hofher, from 1990-97, Cornell went 33-23 in the Ivies, never finishing below 4th.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2014 06:29PM

CAS
Don't understand why Cornell isn't competitive in football. Wasn't too long ago we had reasonable success. Under Jim Hofher, from 1990-97, Cornell went 33-23 in the Ivies, never finishing below 4th.

Lack of recruiting and coaching. With the former being the greatest issue the last 15 years. Remember the ill-fated Tim Pendergast era.

Posted by: Weder (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 05:09PM

Are we at the point of inducting a second-place team into the athletics department hall of fame?

[frontrow.espn.go.com]

Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2014 06:13PM

Might as well throw the towel in on the men's basketball team as well. Outside of the one Steve Donahue run, winning seasons are few and far between.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login