Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yale 51 @ Cornell 13 football (Week 3)

Posted by billhoward 
Yale 51 @ Cornell 13 football (Week 3)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 01:07PM

Clicked on stats. Cornell up 2-0 early on Yale, must be on a safety. Whoops, I clicked on field hockey stats. Football, uh, 20-0 the other way in the first.

34-6 Yale at the half (14-yard fumble recovery by James White for Cornell's points).

Things looking up midpoint of the third: Cornell holds and Yale finally punt. It's 37-6. Third period ends 44-6.

51-6 in the fourth. Cornell scores with a minute to play, QB James Few to Luke Hagy, now 51-14.

Final Yale (3-0) 51, Cornell (0-3) 13. Yale has 154 points in 3 games and will probably move into the top 25 in D1 FCS division.

Cornell's take on the game: [cornellbigred.com]
Box score: [cornellbigred.com]

Yale total offense was 585-189, Yale.
Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 05:58PM by billhoward.

Re: Yale-Cornell football
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 02:32PM

To be fair, Yale beat Army last week so I assume they're actually pretty good.

Date: October 04, 2014 02:47PM

Yale may be the surprise team this year. It was picked for fifth in the pre-season poll [www.ivyleaguesports.com]. Cornell was picked 7th. Yale put up 54 points on Lehigh (our Homecoming opponent), then 49 in OT vs. Army. Pre-season No. 1 Princeton is losing to Columbia right now.

If I heard right, Luke Hagy is a ray of light: first Cornell player ever with both 1,000 career yards rushing and 1,000 receiving, and he's a junior.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 02:50PM by billhoward.

Re: Yale 51 @ Cornell 13 football (other Ivies)
Date: October 04, 2014 03:21PM

Yale 51, Cornell 13
Harvard 34, Georgetown 3
Princeton 38, Columbia 6 late 4th
Brown 17, Rhode Island 13 early 4th
Dartmouth 28, Penn 10 half

Re: Yale 51 @ Cornell 13 football (Week 3)
Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 04, 2014 07:37PM

1-9 looks a good best for this season, only a possible win against Columbia. Yale has a transfer from Clemson (Roberts) at QB and from Canada (Vargas) as impact players. Cornell needs a huge influx of talent. Archer is another year besides this year to show some progress and then it's time for a change yet again.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 09:34AM

billhoward

If I heard right, Luke Hagy is a ray of light: first Cornell player ever with both 1,000 career yards rushing and 1,000 receiving, and he's a junior.

Hagy is a solid RB, but that stat is mainly a function of playing with the most prodigious passing QB in school history for two years. Luke is on pace for something like 100 receiving yards this season after having 652 yards last season.

I've watched about half of each of the first three games and the biggest issue is the lack of talent. Cornell is losing the battle at the line of scrimmage in every game. Keeping the Bucknell and Colgate games close despite that talent gap tells me Archer may know what he's doing, if he improves recruiting. But the talent gap is startling.

Date: October 05, 2014 12:29PM

Ken711
1-9 looks a good best for this season, only a possible win against Columbia. Yale has a transfer from Clemson (Roberts) at QB and from Canada (Vargas) as impact players. Cornell needs a huge influx of talent. Archer is another year besides this year to show some progress and then it's time for a change yet again.
"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Posted by: Ken711 (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 05:26PM

billhoward
Ken711

Even Blutarsky can't save this program I'm afraid. ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 05:27PM by Ken711.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 06:05PM

Ken711
billhoward
Ken711

Having watched the Yale-Army game immediately before watching the Cornell-Bucknell gme the stark contrast between these two Ivy programs was clearly apparent. Fortunately, we had a gathering of cousins at the time of the Cornell-Yale game and I was spared the ordeal of watching the debacle. 1-9 is a good prediction, I'd say.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 06:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Ken711
billhoward
Ken711

Having watched the Yale-Army game immediately before watching the Cornell-Bucknell gme the stark contrast between these two Ivy programs was clearly apparent. Fortunately, we had a gathering of cousins at the time of the Cornell-Yale game and I was spared the ordeal of watching the debacle. 1-9 is a good prediction, I'd say.

I think we'll be lucky to win the 1.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 05, 2014 09:05PM

mountainred
billhoward

Hagy is a solid RB, but that stat is mainly a function of playing with the most prodigious passing QB in school history for two years. Luke is on pace for something like 100 receiving yards this season after having 652 yards last season.

I've watched about half of each of the first three games and the biggest issue is the lack of talent. Cornell is losing the battle at the line of scrimmage in every game. Keeping the Bucknell and Colgate games close despite that talent gap tells me Archer may know what he's doing, if he improves recruiting. But the talent gap is startling.

I don't think firing Archer does anything to help the situation. It'd be nice for once for a kid to get recruited by and graduate under the same coach for once. And it would be a nice message to send recruits that there's a good chance the coach recruiting you will also congratulate you on senior day.

Archer is a kid as far as football coaches go. He's not in huge demand to move on to bigger and better things (mangurian, austin). He's an alumnus and has every reason to build something here. Hell, the bar is so low, they'd build a statue of him if they won one outright ivy title in a 20 year career. Maybe he's just not capable but I'm not sure we can make that sort of judgment on a total of 8 ivy league games.

Date: October 06, 2014 01:37AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio
Ken711
billhoward
Ken711

The Columbia game is at Columbia but Cornell makes this a Homecoming in NYC weekend (Big Red Band marching down Fifth Avenue, class receptions) so it's almost a home game. Might even outdraw Columbia. On a nice fall day (which we had 4 years ago, not 2 years ago when it was the Hurricane Sandy weekend), the view from the top of the stadium down onto the Hudson and East Rivers is spectacular. The visitor side is across the field, like HS bleachers.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2014 10:07PM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
Al DeFlorio
Ken711
billhoward
Ken711

The Columbia game is at Columbia but Cornell makes this a Homecoming in NYC weekend (Big Red Band marching down Fifth Avenue, class receptions) so it's almost a home game. Might even outdraw Columbia. On a nice fall day (which we had 4 years ago, not 2 years ago when it was the Hurricane Sandy weekend), the view from the top of the stadium down onto the Hudson and East Rivers is spectacular. The visitor side is across the field, like HS bleachers.

Huh?

Date: October 08, 2014 06:59AM

4 years ago at Columbia-Cornell game in NYC, it was a fabulously warm weekend. Excellent view from the Columbia side of the field especially if you were in the upper half of the stands. 2 years ago at the Cornell-Columbia weekend (2012), it was just after Sandy, not so fabulous a day for football or a view.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login