Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland

Posted by billhoward 
NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 07:42AM

Disappointing not to have home field for game 1 but that's not unusual for Cornell in recent years. We started last year's NCAAs at Maryland and played the QF game there as well. This year, 5 pm Saturday vs. Maryland. Cornell was not as good as its 9-0 start (taken to OT by Michigan) and not quite as bad as the 2-4 that ended the season. The Ivies have 3 teams in the tournament including Penn with a 4-seed and home field. Harvard is in, Yale is out, and along with Cornell, at season's end they all were 1 or 2 goals apart in head-to-heads. Harvard was the last team in, Hofstra the first team out. The Cornell-Maryland winner plays the Syracuse-game winner at Hofstra Saturday 5/17.

1. Duke (13-3) vs. winner of Air Force (10-5) (ECAC)/Richmond (6-10) (Atlantic Sun) Sunday, 5:15 p.m. ESPNU

8. Virginia (10-5) vs. Johns Hopkins (10-4) Sunday, 1 p.m., ESPN2

5. Denver (14-2) (Big East) vs. North Carolina (10-4) Saturday, 7:30 p.m., ESPNU

4. Penn (11-3) (Ivy) vs. Drexel (12-4) (CAA) Sunday, 3 p.m., ESPNU

2. Syracuse (11-4) vs. winner of Bryant (14-4) (NEC)/Siena (11-5) (MAAC) Sunday, 7:30 p.m., ESPNU

7. Maryland (11-3) vs. Cornell (11-4) Saturday, 5 p.m., ESPNU

3. Loyola (15-1) (Patriot) vs. Albany (11-5) (America East) Saturday, noon, ESPNU

6. Notre Dame (9-5) (ACC) vs. Harvard (10-6) Saturday, 2:30 p.m., ESPNU

Re: NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland
Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2014 05:12PM

And, if by some intervention of the Norse gods we make it past the Turtles we get...

Sorexcuse!!

It must be a cruel joke the gods are playing upon us.

bang

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 05, 2014 05:28PM

Johnny 5
And, if by some intervention of the Norse gods we make it past the Turtles we get...

Sorexcuse!!

bang
Who would you rather have? Eventually we have to beat Syracuse in a game that matters.

Date: May 05, 2014 05:47PM

ugarte
Johnny 5

Sorexcuse!!

bang
Who would you rather have? Eventually we have to beat Syracuse in a game that matters.

Selfishly, I would simply like to see Syracuse lose to anyone, rather than have to suffer through us losing to them again.
Petty? Yes. But, my distaste for the gang from Onondaga County Club knows no limits.

cuss

Date: May 05, 2014 09:53PM

We could have been Penn with a first-round vs. Drexel. So close.

Maryland is probably not thrilled to have us show up on their doorstep for a first-round match again. This is a winnable game.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.90.---)
Date: May 06, 2014 01:00PM

billhoward
We could have been Penn with a first-round vs. Drexel. So close.

Maryland is probably not thrilled to have us show up on their doorstep for a first-round match again. This is a winnable game.

I can only hope.

deadhorse

Date: May 06, 2014 03:57PM

Maryland is 11-3. Its best wins are 16-8 at Syracuse in February back when Syracuse seemed to be having an off year, and 10-6 hosting Duke March 1. Worst loss April 12 at Hopkins 11-6, along with an 11-8 loss at NC and 6-5 to Notre Dame in the ACC tournament. All their losses were on the road; the closest home win as by 2 over Villanova. Leading scorer Mike Chanenchuk (Ivy rookie of the year at Princeton, then transferred) has another ankle injury, played in last week's Navy game but his only stat was one shot.

Posted by: toddlose (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2014 07:42PM

billhoward
Maryland is 11-3. Its best wins are 16-8 at Syracuse in February back when Syracuse seemed to be having an off year, and 10-6 hosting Duke March 1. Worst loss April 12 at Hopkins 11-6, along with an 11-8 loss at NC and 6-5 to Notre Dame in the ACC tournament. All their losses were on the road; the closest home win as by 2 over Villanova. Leading scorer Mike Chanenchuk (Ivy rookie of the year at Princeton, then transferred) has another ankle injury, played in last week's Navy game but his only stat was one shot.

I say we win this game.

Re: NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland - worst stat ever?
Date: May 07, 2014 08:04AM

Christian Swezey, Inside Lacrosse
An incredible streak is on the line in College Park, Md. Dating from 1990, every Ivy League team to beat Virginia in the regular season has reached the Final Four. This stat applies this year because the Big Red defeated Virginia, 12-9, on March 8 in Ithaca, N.Y.
[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 09:47AM

toddlose
billhoward

I say we win this game.
I second

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 07, 2014 12:33PM

Towerroad
toddlose
billhoward

I say we win this game.
I second
I'll pass this strategy on to the coaching staff.

Re: NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland odds of winning
Date: May 07, 2014 03:18PM

[www.insidelacrosse.com] says Maryland has a 60-40 chance of winning Saturday's game. It also projects the odds of each team winning succeeding rounds and winning the NCAAs. For what it's worth.

Maryland, Duke and Loyola each have an 11%-12% chance of winning it all. We have the 11th best chance of winning, 4.5%, with Penn and Harvard just behind Cornell. (Syracuse, the 2-seed, is the 8th most likely tournament winner.) Assuming all 3 Ivies survive round 1 (Penn is favored 55-45, Harvard is a 58-42 underdog), our chances fall less quickly than the other two.

Cornell's odds of winning this round and the ones before are:
Maryland     39.8%
Quarterfinal 21.2%
Seminfinal    9.7%
Final         4.5%

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.105.135.---)
Date: May 07, 2014 04:35PM

So Cornell needs to roll a critical hit on a d20. I didn't think they'd get in to the tourney, so I'll take that.

Supposedly Harvard was the last team to make the field. I guess this means the Ivy tournament worked this year as I presume the additional win and loss against strong opponents was a net gain for Harvard. Or do people think their fate wasn't altered by those two games?

Date: May 07, 2014 04:58PM

Brian Coughlin, Inside Lacrosse
Using offensive and defensive efficiencies, as well as possession margins — all adjusted for SOS — the probability of each team winning the NCAA tournament was derived.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2014 05:07PM

billhoward
[www.insidelacrosse.com] says Maryland has a 60-40 chance of winning Saturday's game. It also projects the odds of each team winning succeeding rounds and winning the NCAAs. For what it's worth.

Maryland, Duke and Loyola each have an 11%-12% chance of winning it all. We have the 11th best chance of winning, 4.5%, with Penn and Harvard just behind Cornell. (Syracuse, the 2-seed, is the 8th most likely tournament winner.) Assuming all 3 Ivies survive round 1 (Penn is favored 55-45, Harvard is a 58-42 underdog), our chances fall less quickly than the other two.

Cornell's odds of winning this round and the ones before are:
Maryland     39.8%
Quarterfinal 21.2%
Seminfinal    9.7%
Final         4.5%
The Maryland probability appears to be based on their having an overwhelming edge over Syracuse in a prospective second round match-up. Syracuse has higher percentage to advance out of round one, so it has to be in round two that Maryland moves ahead of Syracuse. I don't buy that for a minute. Coughlin must give heavy weighting to a team's winning face-off percentage as a key to what appears to be his holy grail: possession.

Re: NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland roll call
Date: May 09, 2014 02:25PM

I'll be going +1, stopping first on Maryland's Eastern shore to see a 1 pm DIII matchup, Lynchburg-Washington, then on to Byrd Stadium again this year, again vs. the Terps.

At Maryland, I see from game notes that Maryland now wants to charge for parking. I don't which named lot is which but at least for the first round game last year, there was no charge to park next to the stadium (100 yards away) on a surface lot. Maybe this is football rules re-linked for lax.

Cornell site >>> TAILGATING: The University of Maryland's Department of Public Safety provides detailed Tailgating Tips.
Cornell site >>> [www.umpd.umd.edu]
PARKING: After 4 p.m. on weekends, there is no charge for parking in Lots Z1 or 1b or in Regents Drive Garage. Lots R2 and R3 are limited to vehicles displaying current valid permits for the respective lots at all times. Fans arriving on campus before 4 p.m. on weekdays should park in Union Lane Garage (located between Cole Field House and Stamp Student Union). Rates are $2.00 per hour ($10.00 per day maximum). The garage may only be accessed via Campus Drive and Union Lane, at the top level of the garage.

Re: NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland roll call
Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2014 09:48PM

Terps have already started playing dirty.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2014 05:17PM

1-0 Cornell with 5:00 left in the first quarter. (Buczek)
2-0 with 1:20 left in the first (O'Neill)
3-0 with 11:20 left in the second (Donovan)
4-0 with 10:13 left in the second
[Cornell goal waved off for, i guess, a crease violation]
[Knight has a million saves. Amazing so far.]
4-1 with 6:01 left in the second
[Stepped away]
6-4 Cornell after 3Q
[Stepping away again]
7-7 with 8:12 remaining. MD looking very strong.
53 seconds left, Maryland TO. GAAAAAHHHH
Second Maryland TO with 9 seconds left.
Total defensive breakdown (or, if you want to be generous, excellent pass across the field to a guy in space), Maryland with the GWG with 2 seconds remaining.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 07:12PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Redscore (24.91.37.---)
Date: May 10, 2014 07:13PM

This team did all it could all year, but do we always have to be the team that comes back but falls short, and lets everyone come back and beat us? It really feels like crap!!!!

Date: May 10, 2014 07:14PM

Did everything we could to give this one away in the second half. Tough to lose like that.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2014 07:15PM

Al DeFlorio
Did everything we could to give this one away in the second half. Tough to lose like that.

Couldn't get the ball off the ground in the second half for our life, and too many unforced errors. Too bad

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2014 07:17PM

Very disappointing loss but to be honest, Maryland was better everywhere but in goal. I'd have been more than happy to have had Knight carry us to the QF but I think the better team top-to-bottom won. They were better at the X, had more ground balls, seemed to score more from ball movement…

Knight's a beast, though.

Date: May 10, 2014 07:29PM

We have taken so many unnecessary penalties this year by cross-checking someone right after he scores a goal. Led to two second half Maryland goals today, each of which brought them back into the game. The late Donovan unforced turnover and Buczek's badly-thought shot that turned it over to Maryland late just compounded the problem. And Cornell's inability to muster a consistent offense just puzzles me after watching them shred Virginia and Penn in succession mid-season. The winning goal was predictable. Someone should have been in Chanenchuk's face from the restart.

Posted by: rss77 (---.sub-70-209-144.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2014 07:38PM

Poor wing play on the face offs has plagued the team since the 9-0 start. If Tesoriero could not pick up the ball cleanly we just weren't going to get possession.

Posted by: Redscore (24.91.37.---)
Date: May 10, 2014 08:03PM

rss77
Poor wing play on the face offs has plagued the team since the 9-0 start. If Tesoriero could not pick up the ball cleanly we just weren't going to get possession.

Totally agree. All those damn face-offs were lost off wing play....

Date: May 11, 2014 09:13AM

If Maryland was clearly better, the final score suggested two teams that could beat each other on different days. Maryland had no answer for Cornell in the first half. The second half was the opposite. Cornell's defensive play to keep attackers from circling around from behind was phenomenal esp. first half. Maryland was better on faceoffs in the second half (8x10 vs 3x7 first half), their wingmen were better, but it also felt as if every bounce went Maryland's way in the second half. Same goes for GBs.

Some other possibilities: Maryland adjusted better at halftime than Cornell. Cornell wore itself out. Cornell couldn't separate the physical part of the game from the late hit (Maryland 2x5 on man up including 2x2 second half, Cornell 1x2). Cornell didn't build up the killer lead that made a comeback impossible (Virginia 2009 semifinals, Penn RS this year). Also bad luck: How often will Matt Donovan mishandle at pass late in the game? You also think back to Donovan's disallowed third goal of the first half when he circled the cage only to step on the line?

The underlying reason we lost: Letting Hofstra beat us in OT 4 weeks ago and losing home field for the playoffs. That or not beating Penn in the Ivy first game.

Attendance was listed as 2210. 1,000 had to be Cornellians. It was a great atmosphere for about 3 quarters. Now let's hope Syracuse or someone else takes down the Terps so Maryland not Cornell is the team that has gone the longest without repeating an NCAA title.

Give credit to Albany for dismantling Loyola 13-6. I thought Loyala was overrated; the committee sort of recognized it by dropping the #1 polls team to #3 seed. Notre Dame took down Harvard 13-5 (not unexpected except maybe for the margin) and Denver handled North Carolina 9-5, all Saturday. Denver has ejected NC three straight years now. Penn plays Drexel today; that should not be close. [Edit add: It was not close, 16-11, but I thought it was Penn that was going to win. Not so.] So now with top seeds Syracuse and Duke to play today, since it can't be Cornell, who do you want to see and not see win it all? I'd like to see Albany make a deep run, that and Penn. Rather have Syracuse win than Duke. I'm neutral about Notre Dame or Denver. Since we beat Virginia, it wouldn't hurt to see them do well [add: nope; upset by Hopkins].
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 08:31PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2014 12:43PM

ugarte
Total defensive breakdown (or, if you want to be generous, excellent pass across the field to a guy in space), Maryland with the GWG with 2 seconds remaining.
Yep. Should have played straight man-to-man with only 9 seconds on the clock. Instead, seemingly every defender got sucked into the ball, resulting in an easy tic-tac-score. Terrible defensive fundamentals - the ball can't score; your man can.

Re: NCAA lax - Cornell-Maryland - 1st round results
Date: May 11, 2014 09:57PM

Bleep! Four of eight first round games were upsets with 5, 6 and 7 goal margins. But not the one we cared about. Maryland plays Bryant to go the final four.

Drexel 16, Penn 11
Hopkins 14, Virginia 8
Bryant 10, Syracuse 9
Albany 13, Loyola 6
Notre Dame 13, Harvard 5
Denver 8, UNC 5
Duke 20, Air Force 5
Maryland 8, Cornell 7

Date: May 11, 2014 10:08PM

billhoward
Bleep! Four of eight first round games were upsets with 5, 6 and 7 goal margins. But not the one we cared about. Maryland plays Bryant to go the final four.

Drexel 16, Penn 11
Hopkins 14, Virginia 8
Bryant 10, Syracuse 9
Albany 13, Loyola 6
Notre Dame 13, Harvard 5
Denver 8, UNC 5
Duke 20, Air Force 5
Maryland 8, Cornell 7
If Cornell had held on, four of the six "A" league teams would have gone home, and three of the four "original" ACC teams--the ones with the "thoroughbreds." Really a shame.

Date: May 12, 2014 07:13AM

Yes, a real shame. But, nothing to be ashamed of.

And, the season wasn't a total failure....

Tactless?? Yeah, I suppose so. Sorry.
But, if the finals came down to a game between SU and a team captained by Vladamir Putin I'd be cheering in Russian.
I am thinking about therapy, though.

cheer
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 07:21AM by Johnny 5.

Posted by: Redscore (---.customer.static.ip.paetec.net)
Date: May 12, 2014 09:42AM

Bryant with the shocker, No need to cheer for Putin. This helps a bit, but not that much...

Date: May 12, 2014 11:43AM

Syracuse may be leading in D1 lax early round chokes against overwhelming underdogs. But they still do work in the odd NCAA title, too. Upsize the balloon caption font and you've got yourself a nice T-shirt or sign for next year's game at Syracuse.

Date: May 12, 2014 02:36PM

I guess the good news for Syracuse is there was no large banner this year reading MASTERS OF MEMORIAL DAY.rolleyes

Date: May 13, 2014 07:28AM

billhoward
Syracuse may be leading in D1 lax early round chokes against overwhelming underdogs. But they still do work in the odd NCAA title, too. Upsize the balloon caption font and you've got yourself a nice T-shirt or sign for next year's game at Syracuse.

Bill,
We went with your concept. Ordered shirts.
Small problem. WB lawyers called. Not happy.
They say logo makes Porky look like bloated, mouthy, a-hole.
Called my layer, Joe, to see what he knew. Not much, but he took my retainer.
Sides talking. However, project on hold for now.
Too bad. Max pre-ordered 100. No word from Rob yet.
Will keep you updated.

whistle

Re: NCAA lax - Maryland into final four
Date: May 17, 2014 03:31PM

Maryland 16, Bryant 8. Maryland's 11% chance (says IL) of winning it all looks a lot better now. Goes without saying that the winner of the Cornell-Maryland game almost got a pass into the finals weekend once Bryant upset Syracuse. <sob>

Re: NCAA lax - Duke-Notre Dame final
Date: May 24, 2014 06:35PM

Semifinals in Baltimore: Duke 15, Denver 12 and Notre Dame 11, Maryland 6. This is a repeat of the 2010 game, 6-5 Duke in overtime (off the faceoff). Duke is going for 3 titles in 5 years. That probably makes us Notre Dame fans.

Maryland keeps intact its record of being the D1 champion (1973, 1975) with the longest dry spell since. Cornell is next (wins 1971, 1976, 1977). The Terps are 0-7 in title games since, Cornell 0-4.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 24, 2014 06:48PM

I can't root for either team. Hoping for a giant sink hole in the middle of the field Monday afternoon.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2014 08:48PM

Killer
I can't root for either team. Hoping for a giant sink hole in the middle of the field Monday afternoon.
I appreciate this sentiment, but in this case the tiebreaker is Duke.

Seriously, fuck Duke.

Date: May 25, 2014 07:48AM

Kyle Rose
Killer

Seriously, fuck Duke.

Well said.

flipd Duke.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2014 03:41PM

Johnny 5
Kyle Rose
Killer

Seriously, fuck Duke.

Well said.

flipd Duke.

NCAA results is making it very hard for me to remain a fan.

Fuck.

Re: NCAA lax - Duke 11 Notre Dame 9 title game
Date: May 26, 2014 04:03PM

All the playoff teams that lost by 1 along the way, like Albany 14-13 in OT to Notre Dame, saw this game and felt they couldn't have done any worse than the Irish, who were getting blown out in the third, closed to 1 late, then lost by 2. Now Duke has 3 titles in 5 years.

Date: May 26, 2014 08:52PM

billhoward
All the playoff teams that lost by 1 along the way, like Albany 14-13 in OT to Notre Dame, saw this game and felt they couldn't have done any worse than the Irish, who were getting blown out in the third, closed to 1 late, then lost by 2. Now Duke has 3 titles in 5 years.

And, Ben DeLuca has a national championship to add to his resume'.

help

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: May 27, 2014 03:10PM

Johnny 5
billhoward

help

I guess that makes up for the lack of a paycheck.

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

The most high-profile coach in lacrosse currently not holding a paid coaching position, DeLuca is widely expected to be a top candidate for any future head coach opening in the sport. Throughout the season and leading up to the championship, he’d received emails, letters and text messages from former players, the parents of former Cornell players and Big Red alumni, who were rooting for him and the Blue Devils as they made their way to post-season and onto M&T Bank Stadium.

Date: May 27, 2014 05:27PM

RichH
Johnny 5
billhoward

help

I guess that makes up for the lack of a paycheck.

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

The most high-profile coach in lacrosse currently not holding a paid coaching position, DeLuca is widely expected to be a top candidate for any future head coach opening in the sport. Throughout the season and leading up to the championship, he’d received emails, letters and text messages from former players, the parents of former Cornell players and Big Red alumni, who were rooting for him and the Blue Devils as they made their way to post-season and onto M&T Bank Stadium.

The truth will out??

whistle

Date: May 27, 2014 06:01PM

Johnny 5
billhoward

help
Anyone can do it by being an assistant to John Danowski. DeLuca might have done it on his own if he could have figured out how to stop Duke from scoring nine straight goals in a fourteen minute span a year ago.

Date: May 27, 2014 07:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Anyone can do it by being an assistant to John Danowski. DeLuca might have done it on his own if he could have figured out how to stop Duke from scoring nine straight goals in a fourteen minute span a year ago.
Al, careful or they're going to have you declawed.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: May 30, 2014 03:06PM

RichH

NCAA results is making it very hard for me to remain a fan.

Fuck.

And then this great thing happened:
[www.npr.org]

Pre-announcement story:
[www.npr.org]

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 30, 2014 04:52PM

Yeah, this is good. Congrats to the Thompsons. I would like to see Albany on our dance card on a regular basis.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 12, 2014 07:44AM

That is cool. I like that choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login