Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Michigan MLax C15-14 OT

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell @ Michigan MLax C15-14 OT
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2014 04:45PM

[www.mgoblue.com]
Didn't realize Cornell is playing indoors at Oosterbaan Field House. Seats 1,000. Next to Yost ice arena. We need one of these things. Michigan site says it's also available for intramurals.

Still trying to get a handle on why Cornell would start a lacrosse series with Michigan *at* Michigan. 2 in Ithaca, 1 in Ann Arbor would be more fitting. Can you think of anything other than "travel guarantee"? I don't think Michigan at Cornell in 2015 is part of the sesquicentennial celebration.

Final Cornell 15, Michigan 14, overtime. Matt Donovan's fifth goal wins it for Cornell. Cornell was up by 2 in the fourth (or by 3?), outshot Michigan 14-5 in the fourth but Michigan ties in the final minute.

Donovan 5-0-5
Lintner 3-0-3 (13 goals in 2014)
Buczek 2-2-4

Doug Tesoriero was 15-33 on faceoffs, did better early in the game.

Michigan next game is Maryland. The Wolverines are getting experiences.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 03:15PM by billhoward.

Re: Cornell @ Michigan MLax
Posted by: Redscore (24.91.37.---)
Date: March 01, 2014 01:24AM

billhoward

[www.mgoblue.com]
Didn't realize Cornell is playing indoors at Oosterbaan Field House. Seats 1,000. Next to Yost ice arena. We need one of these things. Michigan site says it's also available for intramurals.

Still trying to get a handle on why Cornell would start a lacrosse series with Michigan *at* Michigan. 2 in Ithaca, 1 in Ann Arbor would be more fitting. Can you think of anything other than "travel guarantee"? I don't think Michigan at Cornell in 2015 is part of the sesquicentennial celebration.

Agree fully, What the heck is wrong with us. Low self respect?

Actually mean this. Not trying to be sarcastic.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 01:25AM by Redscore.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 09:01AM

Maybe we're betting they will be the next Denver, so we get on the ground floor for a "rivalry" that will help the SOS? Or perhaps we really wanted to get another indoor game that we were sure would be played regardless of the weather?

I know Maryland is making a trip up there in a few weeks, but that could have been arranged after the Turtles agreed to jump to the big ten.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2014 10:17AM

Redscore
billhoward

[www.mgoblue.com]

Agree fully, What the heck is wrong with us. Low self respect?

Actually mean this. Not trying to be sarcastic.

Are you referring to the field or that we are going there?

The problem with us having the field is $.

As for going there, I think it's a great idea. Assuming we don't have to pay, and maybe earn some, the idea that we might try to help a new program get established is fine with me.

Date: March 01, 2014 10:47AM

Setting up a rivalry early on with rising powers in the midwest makes sense: Michigan, Penn State (we will at some point) (we are in hockey), Denver, maybe Ohio State. Stanford if and when it takes up men's lacrosse.

To be competitive, Cornell can't give scholarships outright but as aid increases for all students (not a bad deal) it pulls along the student-athletes. We can hire better coaches if the positions are endowed and many are. Great facilities help and the wrestling center is the best example. Over the last generation facilities have improved, in part because we needed more artificial turf fields to make up for the loss of Lower Alumni Field in the late 1970s (now Comstock Hall) and half of Upper Alumni Field. Harvard now Princeton have winter bubbles up. We have a much better field house now in Bartels but it's half as big as needed to play games. I'm waiting for the first Ivy - Princeton? Harvard? - to build an indoor facility big enough to play games in and seat spectators, but would that be 500? 1000? 2500? 5000?

Re: Cornell @ Michigan MLax - broadcast
Date: March 01, 2014 01:02PM

Painful hearing the Michigan broadcast team. Better than nothing at all.

Re: Cornell @ Michigan MLax - the game
Date: March 01, 2014 01:05PM

So much for being able to say Cornell has never trailed Michigan. We lose first faceoff, Michigan scores. Lintner gets his 11th of the year a few seconds later, doubling his career total. 1-1 early.

Halftime 9-8 Cornell. Buczek, Donovan, Lintner 2G. Donville 4 saves, 8 GA. (Michigan goalie has about 3 saves.)

Q3 12-11 after 3. Cornell up. Cornell is ahead on faceoffs but it's not a wide margin. This is not a walk in the park.

Q4 14-14 end of 4. Was: 13-12 Cornell with 6 minutes to play. Tesoriero went off for :30 after his third faceoff violation, letting Michigan close to 1. 4:19 to play, tied at 13. Lintner gets his third, makes it 14-13 with 2:33 left. Cornell controls the ball with 1:30 to play. Michigan gets ball back with :56, Treshour goes down for a minute for a slash. Michigan ties at at 14-14 with :26 to play. Regulation ends tied at 14-14.

Overtime Faceoff controlled by Michigan, calls timeout. Michigan loses ball, Cornell clears, takes timeout. Donovan's fifth goal wins it in OT, 15-14.
Edited 18 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 03:06PM by billhoward.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 01:58PM

9-8 RED at the half.

Posted by: ithacat (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 02:35PM

If Andy doesn't hire a talented coach the program is going to fall mightily. DeLuca was not recruiting well and team has shown that by struggling to beat two of the weakest teams in the country, and has its hands full with Michigan.

Date: March 01, 2014 02:44PM

ithacat
If Andy doesn't hire a talented coach the program is going to fall mightily. DeLuca was not recruiting well and team has shown that by struggling to beat two of the weakest teams in the country, and has its hands full with Michigan.
Laxpower computer ranking has Michigan 30, Cornell 44 ... for what it's worth, early in the season. Maryland-Penn State-Notre Dame are 1-2-3. We'll have to see later if Michigan turned out to be a weaker team.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 03:08PM

Red wins in OT on Donovan's fifth of the day. 15-14.

Posted by: ithacat (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 03:26PM

So beating Michigan helps Cornell's lax power ranking. That would seem to be telling. Rather be 3-0 than the alternatives, so I can still believe it's early.

Date: March 01, 2014 03:58PM

ithacat
First, aren't Cornell fans supposed to run Bill Courtney out of town before turning on Matt Kerwick? We're jumping the gun. Second, we knew there'd be a falloff losing the NCAA's all-time scoring leader and a solid senior class including the #2 scorer and the top defender. The transition - the dismissal - cost Cornell a year of recruiting, or two years because so many players commit two years in advance and also the players headed to college next fall could still back out. This is a year for team solidarity, for the parents and friends of Cornell lacrosse to be faithful and supportive, and let's see what happens. Is it possible the team would be 3-0 with a couple squeaker victories early on even without a coaching change? Even in an off year, Cornell fans are pretty supportive. There's a story that high school student Ken Dryden went on a recruiting trip to see Princeton play a home game, and the fans at Princeton helped cement his decision to attend Cornell. So hang in there.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2014 09:48PM

billhoward
Setting up a rivalry early on with rising powers in the midwest makes sense: Michigan, Penn State (we will at some point) (we are in hockey), Denver, maybe Ohio State. Stanford if and when it takes up men's lacrosse.

http://stanfordlacrosse.org/

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2014 01:50PM

billhoward
ithacat
First, aren't Cornell fans supposed to run Bill Courtney out of town before turning on Matt Kerwick? We're jumping the gun. Second, we knew there'd be a falloff losing the NCAA's all-time scoring leader and a solid senior class including the #2 scorer and the top defender. The transition - the dismissal - cost Cornell a year of recruiting, or two years because so many players commit two years in advance and also the players headed to college next fall could still back out. This is a year for team solidarity, for the parents and friends of Cornell lacrosse to be faithful and supportive, and let's see what happens. Is it possible the team would be 3-0 with a couple squeaker victories early on even without a coaching change? Even in an off year, Cornell fans are pretty supportive. There's a story that high school student Ken Dryden went on a recruiting trip to see Princeton play a home game, and the fans at Princeton helped cement his decision to attend Cornell. So hang in there.

Kerwick's an interim head coach and as long as that's his status I'll keep hoping Cornell hires someone else after the season. His 111-101 career record makes me think Cornell can do better and, more importantly, needs to do better. The fact that the team is struggling against a weak schedule (currently 63/67 according to laxpower) thus far reinforces the notion that DeLuca was not getting the job done in recruiting.

I still send money to the program and I've stood in the snow plenty of times watching the team play. That's not going to change...well, hopefully the snow part changes.

Posted by: mountainred (---.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 11:16AM

ithacat
billhoward
ithacat

Kerwick's an interim head coach and as long as that's his status I'll keep hoping Cornell hires someone else after the season. His 111-101 career record makes me think Cornell can do better and, more importantly, needs to do better. The fact that the team is struggling against a weak schedule (currently 63/67 according to laxpower) thus far reinforces the notion that DeLuca was not getting the job done in recruiting.

I still send money to the program and I've stood in the snow plenty of times watching the team play. That's not going to change...well, hopefully the snow part changes.

I'll play devil's advocate for Kerwick. Going 11-17 at Jacksonsville isn't bad considering those were the first two years at D1 for the program. And I think he led Hobart to their last two NCAA appearances and league title. He's probably not the next Richie Moran or Jeff Tambroni, but there are worse coaches. I grant you the team hasn't looked great (not that I watched the UM game), but a ton of talent graduated last May.

Still, I have no problem with hitting the proverbial "reset" button and finding someone new and unaffiliated with the program to be the next full-time HC.

Date: March 03, 2014 03:10PM

Exactly. Accidental coach Matt Kerwick may be underrated. (Hard not to be based on this thread.) We may get steamrollered in a couple games this year. Or maybe not. Based purely on USILA rankings, we're looking at a 9-5 season and the 4-seed in the Ivy lacrosse tournament, losing to Virginia, Yale, Syracuse at home, Princeton on Long Island, and Penn in Philaelphia. Our 15 ranking now and our future prospects are due more to who graduated than to who's coaching.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 04, 2014 04:34PM

mountainred
I'll play devil's advocate for Kerwick. Going 11-17 at Jacksonsville isn't bad considering those were the first two years at D1 for the program. And I think he led Hobart to their last two NCAA appearances and league title. He's probably not the next Richie Moran or Jeff Tambroni, but there are worse coaches. I grant you the team hasn't looked great (not that I watched the UM game), but a ton of talent graduated last May.

Still, I have no problem with hitting the proverbial "reset" button and finding someone new and unaffiliated with the program to be the next full-time HC.

Starting up a program has to be a challenge (Michigan was only 2-26 in their first two years). I just think he's an average coach and the program deserves more. Andy's given him the chance to impress those who really matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login