Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornellians in the Olympics, Winter 2014

Posted by David Harding 
Cornellians in the Olympics, Winter 2014
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 10:58PM

Several Cornellian hockey players will compete in the Olympics this year, as has been noted in the hockey forum. Today the US bobsled and luge team was announced, including pilot Jamie Greubel '06. Chris Langton '07, featured with Jamie in the December "Ezra", did not make the team, though his older brother Steve is back.

Greubel has claimed five World Cup medals, including today’s win, and currently leads the U.S. women in points as the second ranked driver in the world.

Anyone else in other sports?

Re: Cornellians in the Olympics, Winter 2014
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 20, 2014 08:06AM

I was watching the replay of the US-Canada Women's match last evening and I found myself rooting for Canada because of our four players.

I guess I know where my allegiances lie.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 11:26AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
The best thing about the World Cup is it's fun to root for the US. In pretty much everything else that's the equivalent of rooting for Exxon.

There is no sweeter feeling than when the US men's basketball team loses.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 01:22PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
The best thing about the World Cup is it's fun to root for the US. In pretty much everything else that's the equivalent of rooting for Exxon.

I disagree outside of the main sports, basketball, top few track and field athletes, etc many of the US athletes have to live very modestly to get to the olympics because they dont have much time to work and there is no government funding unlike other countries

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 04:52PM

phillysportsfan
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82

I disagree outside of the main sports, basketball, top few track and field athletes, etc many of the US athletes have to live very modestly to get to the olympics because they dont have much time to work and there is no government funding unlike other countries
There's jingoism and then there's the completely natural feeling of being a part of something. I have my issues with the way we collectively run this country but unless there is a particular athlete or storyline pulling me in another direction, I root for the US teams even if we're playing someone we should beat handily.

Date: January 20, 2014 06:40PM

ugarte
and then there's the completely natural feeling of being a part of something
Part of it is rooting for the underdog -- we are never the underdog -- we have hundred million dollar facilities and we're competing against countries that spend money on, oh I dunno, lowering infant mortality. Part of it is the hatred that network TV engenders. Anything that ruins Bob Costs' jingoistic day benefits humanity.

In about 20 years we'll be 70's Great Britain and I'll root for us again. At the moment we're the British Empire and any time we lose, in anything, I smile.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 20, 2014 06:56PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Part of it is rooting for the underdog -- we are never the underdog -- we have hundred million dollar facilities and we're competing against countries that spend money on, oh I dunno, lowering infant mortality. Part of it is the hatred that network TV engenders. Anything that ruins Bob Costs' jingoistic day benefits humanity.

In about 20 years we'll be 70's Great Britain and I'll root for us again. At the moment we're the British Empire and any time we lose, in anything, I smile.
Really? Bob Costas is the personification of your dislike for the current state of our society? And you call yourself a baseball fan?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2014 07:55PM

KeithK
Trotsky
ugarte

Really? Bob Costas is the personification of your dislike for the current state of our society? And you call yourself a baseball fan?

Yeah, Costas I don't get. If he had said Brian Kilmeade, well, that I would understand.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 04:11PM

Part of the fun of the Winter Olympics, however, is rooting for the US athletes who compete in sports in which we are underdogs, like biathlon, cross-country skiing, curling, luge, and ski jumping, or relative underdogs, like alpine, bobsled, and short-track speed skating; indeed, we are at least relative underdogs in most non-television-contrived (i.e., freestyle "skiing"; snowboarding) winter sports. (Vide some crowd-edited thing.)

And then there's nordic combined, the finest, most exciting discipline at the games, in which the US is suddenly competitive. What a great story, and partially an upstate New York one at that!

(Yes, I got into it all the way back in 2006, before the medals.)

My real ire regarding the Olympics, Winter and Summer, is reserved for NBC, which finds a way, with few exceptions, to ignore relatively or completely every sport in which US athletes are not super, duper dominant, including most of those I mentioned above.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 22, 2014 04:27PM

Scersk '97
Part of the fun of the Winter Olympics, however, is rooting for the US athletes who compete in sports in which we are underdogs, like biathlon, cross-country skiing, curling, luge, and ski jumping, or relative underdogs, like alpine, bobsled, and short-track speed skating; indeed, we are at least relative underdogs in most non-television-contrived (i.e., freestyle "skiing"; snowboarding) winter sports. (Vide some crowd-edited thing.)

And then there's nordic combined, the finest, most exciting discipline at the games, in which the US is suddenly competitive. What a great story, and partially an upstate New York one at that!

(Yes, I got into it all the way back in 2006, before the medals.)

My real ire regarding the Olympics, Winter and Summer, is reserved for NBC, which finds a way, with few exceptions, to ignore relatively or completely every sport in which US athletes are not super, duper dominant, including most of those I mentioned above.

IIRC, NBC actually does a pretty good job with curling coverage. I think they turn CNBC into "the curling network". Which reminds me, I'll need to clear out some space on that DVR thingy.

And if you come across these dudes while channel surfing during the olympics, you have found the curling station (or lost footage featuring Project Runaway's runner-ups).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 05:23PM by Rita.

Date: January 22, 2014 06:35PM

Scersk '97
Part of the fun of the Winter Olympics, however, is rooting for the US athletes who compete in sports in which we are underdogs, like biathlon, cross-country skiing, curling, luge, and ski jumping, or relative underdogs, like alpine, bobsled, and short-track speed skating;
Agree, except for the last one -- I thought we dominated that. Wasn't that what that Ohno jerk was in?

Date: January 23, 2014 03:07AM

Rita
IIRC, NBC actually does a pretty good job with curling coverage. I think they turn CNBC into "the curling network". Which reminds me, I'll need to clear out some space on that DVR thingy.

And if you come across these dudes while channel surfing during the olympics, you have found the curling station (or lost footage featuring Project Runaway's runner-ups).

Yes all that coverage keeps curling clubs in the US afloat, we have gotten over 1000 people show up at open houses during the Olympics in the past

[www.curldc.org]

If anyone lives in the Baltimore/DC area there is a curling club in Laurel, MD. We are having 2 open houses during the Olympics: February 8, 2014 9:00am – 3:00pm and February 16, 2014 11:00 am – 4:00 pm

Posted by: billhoward (69.162.16.---)
Date: January 23, 2014 09:53AM

Rita

There's always the undercurrent of the viewers thinking, "Curling is a sport? It's like bowling with a flat ball."

With 500 channels, there ought to to be room for a couple views of the Olympics beyond the main channel covering USA-centric sports preceded by the up close and personal stories. Did every athlete lose a father at an early age, or have a special needs sibling?

Date: January 23, 2014 12:21PM

billhoward
Rita

There's always the undercurrent of the viewers thinking, "Curling is a sport? It's like bowling with a flat ball."

With 500 channels, there ought to to be room for a couple views of the Olympics beyond the main channel covering USA-centric sports preceded by the up close and personal stories. Did every athlete lose a father at an early age, or have a special needs sibling?

After you sweep rocks for a full game you'll think it is a sport or at least good exercise

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 23, 2014 12:25PM

billhoward

The rule of television is: whenever there is single piano, change the channel immediately. It's the international signal for "Weepy, Ham-fisted Manipulation Ahead."

It helps whenever they run their human interest stories to imagine the skater's mother was secretly a child murderer and richly deserved it.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 23, 2014 12:28PM

Trotsky
billhoward

The rule of television is: whenever there is single piano, change the channel immediately. It's the international signal for "Weepy, Ham-fisted Manipulation Ahead."

It helps whenever they run their human interest stories to imagine the skater's mother was secretly a child murderer and richly deserved it.

Unless the skater was a poor African-American growing up in the ghetto. Then you'd be a racist. bolt

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 23, 2014 02:21PM

phillysportsfan
Rita

Yes all that coverage keeps curling clubs in the US afloat, we have gotten over 1000 people show up at open houses during the Olympics in the past

[www.curldc.org]

If anyone lives in the Baltimore/DC area there is a curling club in Laurel, MD. We are having 2 open houses during the Olympics: February 8, 2014 9:00am – 3:00pm and February 16, 2014 11:00 am – 4:00 pm

More publicity for curling and your club via NPR. Let us know if "phillysportsfan" is one of the people pictured :).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 24, 2014 07:49AM

Chris Langton '12 Named Replacement Athlete For US Bobsled Team

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 18, 2014 08:50PM

After two of four runs, USA-2 piloted by Jamie Greubel sits third, 0.56 seconds behind USA-1 (and 0.33 behind CAN-1 in second). Heats three and four tomorrow, scheduled for 11:15 am and 12:25 pm EST respectively. Today's coverage led off the NBC prime time telecast.

Date: February 19, 2014 10:27PM

both us teams had rough 3rd and 4th runs but hold on for silver bronze

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 12:18PM

Be thankful it was Cornell women representing Team Canada hockey, not Cornell men representing Team USA. Ouch. Finland 5, USA 0 for the bronze medal.

Date: February 22, 2014 02:16PM

billhoward
not Cornell men representing Team USA. Ouch. Finland 5, USA 0 for the bronze medal.
Well obviously if Cornell men had been on the team, the US would have won gold.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2014 04:41PM

Trotsky
billhoward
not Cornell men representing Team USA. Ouch. Finland 5, USA 0 for the bronze medal.
Well obviously if Cornell men had been on the team, the US would have won gold.

Patrick Kane certainly did a good impression of a male Cornell hockey player. Ouch. Two missed penalty shots. In one game.

Posted by: ithacat (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2014 12:18PM

Rita

Patrick Kane certainly did a good impression of a male Cornell hockey player. Ouch. Two missed penalty shots. In one game.

That must be why the staff rarely recruits Buffalo.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 07:25PM

ithacat
Rita

Or just that: Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: February 24, 2014 01:17PM

Roy 82
ithacat
Rita

Or just that: Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

I'm pretty sure that's the longest you can go with it still being a grammatically correct sentence.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 24, 2014 02:07PM

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the Buffalo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login