Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ben DeLuca fired

Posted by scoop85 
Ben DeLuca fired
Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: November 14, 2013 12:21PM

E-mail sent out by Andy Noel:

"Dear Cornell Lacrosse alumni, parents and friends,

Earlier this morning, I relieved Ben DeLuca of his duties as head coach of Cornell Lacrosse. As many of you know, a decision to replace a coach is never an easy one and I trust that you will all understand that we did not make this decision lightly. Thanks in advance to the many of you who will extend Coach DeLuca support as he deals with this difficult outcome.

Offensive coordinator Matt Kerwick has accepted the role of interim head coach and will provide strong leadership as we move forward toward the 2014 spring season and defensive coordinator, Peter Milliman, will continue to lead the Big Red defense. A national search will commence immediately.

Our team members, especially seniors in their final year representing Big Red Lacrosse, must receive our continued support and commitment as they compete to leave their mark in program history. Every difficult challenge provides an opportunity to grow, sometimes in unforeseen ways. Resilience, optimism and unity are critical at this time and the umbrella of staunch support, consistently provided by our alumni and friends, provides a foundation that is needed and appreciated very much."

Andy

J. Andrew Noel, Jr.
Meakem-Smith Director of Athletics
& Physical Education
Cornell Athletics
Teagle Hall
Campus Road
Ithaca, NY 14853"

Re: Ben DeLuca fired
Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 14, 2013 12:30PM

Wow. He must have been caught lying or covering up the hazing incident.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: November 14, 2013 12:32PM

scoop85
E-mail sent out by Andy Noel:

"Dear Cornell Lacrosse alumni, parents and friends,

Earlier this morning, I relieved Ben DeLuca of his duties as head coach of Cornell Lacrosse. As many of you know, a decision to replace a coach is never an easy one and I trust that you will all understand that we did not make this decision lightly. Thanks in advance to the many of you who will extend Coach DeLuca support as he deals with this difficult outcome.

Offensive coordinator Matt Kerwick has accepted the role of interim head coach and will provide strong leadership as we move forward toward the 2014 spring season and defensive coordinator, Peter Milliman, will continue to lead the Big Red defense. A national search will commence immediately.
...... (rest of the letter deleted)......

Is this fallout from the hazing incident(s) earlier this fall?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 12:37PM

It aint good. That's harsh language for a professional communique. Note to self: do not use Andy for job reference...

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2013 12:52PM

Ben bordered on incompetent. He angered many recruits and parents with poor communication and follow-up; I know this first-hand. His recruiting efforts have been weak, and now that the Pannell/Mock class is gone, I don't expect them to remain dominant. Clearly Tambroni was the force behind their strength. Nothing personal against Ben, but I'm glad Andy fired him, and hopefully the program will be able to move forward again.

My sincerest best wishes go to Ben and his family.

Posted by: Redscore (---.customer.static.ip.paetec.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 02:16PM

Townie
Ben bordered on incompetent. He angered many recruits and parents with poor communication and follow-up; I know this first-hand. His recruiting efforts have been weak, and now that the Pannell/Mock class is gone, I don't expect them to remain dominant. Clearly Tambroni was the force behind their strength. Nothing personal against Ben, but I'm glad Andy fired him, and hopefully the program will be able to move forward again.

This is complete BS. What a ridiculous post, incompetent, glad he was fired, and you end with your sincerest best wishes? The whole hazing incident was a crock of **** and a witch hunt. This was nothing more than a personal dislike combined with some spoiled brat kids and their parents creating a situation where a good guy lost his job. How the heck does this help Cornell going forward. If I'm a top coach or recruit, there's no way I want to come here given this crap.
Thanks for screwing up a proud, incredible tradition filled program Mr. Noel.

Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 08:45PM

Given the unusual timing of this announcement, it would appear that something recently happened or was uncovered, leading to his dismissal. If it had to do with the September hazing incident, my guess would be that new information surfaced that was damaging. Then again, it could be something completely different, but obviously extremely serious.

I thought Ben was a good coach, based on his high winning percentage, at least. Given that he is an alum and has strong metrics behind him, I am sure that this firing was not taken lightly. I would also imagine that the AD and administration recognized the potential backlash that would result from his dismissal, and still felt this was necessary.

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2013 09:29PM

Redscore
Townie

This is complete BS. What a ridiculous post, incompetent, glad he was fired, and you end with your sincerest best wishes? The whole hazing incident was a crock of **** and a witch hunt. This was nothing more than a personal dislike combined with some spoiled brat kids and their parents creating a situation where a good guy lost his job. How the heck does this help Cornell going forward. If I'm a top coach or recruit, there's no way I want to come here given this crap.
Thanks for screwing up a proud, incredible tradition filled program Mr. Noel.

To conclude that this was all because of the hazing leads me to believe that you have little intimate knowledge of Ben as head coach, or his weaknesses in that role. And ad hominen insults cast at the kids and Andy Noel add nothing. Sure, universities will sacrifice a "fall guy" for incidents beyond their control for the sake of appearances, and had I not witnessed Ben's blatant unresponsiveness I might share your view. The kid I referred to was initially contacted by Ben, whereupon Ben ignored EVERY response from the kid...for nearly a year. Seeking to make a decision about the kid's education, the parents went through Athletics administration several times, but still no response from Ben. It turns out this was not an isolated incident but a pattern; the hazing may have tipped the scales. The kid was eventually recruited by Syracuse and is now on their team. Cornell was his first choice, and he had the grades and board scores for a legitimate shot at admission. By the time Ben contacted him, he'd already accepted Syracuse. And by the way, this kid is an excellent lacrosse player who received a write-up in Inside Lacrosse magazine for his performance at the Blue Chip camp.

I know Ben and like him, but I'm relieved he was let go because I believe (as do other lax supporters) that he was detrimental to the long-term health of the program. Ben has 34 players. In the last two years he recruited 15 players (6 sophomores and 9 freshmen). By comparison, Syracuse has 17 freshman. Of course quality trumps quantity, but his low numbers are symptomatic of his poor follow-up efforts, which show little respect to people making important decisions. In my view, HE has done more to erode Cornell's status among recruits than anyone.

Finally, my judgment that his performance bordered on incompetence does not preclude me from wishing him well. I like and respect Ben the man, but based upon my experience of him as recruiter/head coach (and other things I've heard from very trustworthy people), I believe his departure is a positive step for the program. There's nothing "ridiculous" about that.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 10:32PM

Any thoughts on possible coaches that might be interested in the Cornell job?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2013 11:22PM

Ken711

I'm guessing Tillman is too expensive.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2013 09:12AM

Ken711
Cornell rides with Jeff Kerwick, the interim head coach, for the 2014 season. He's not a grad assistant kind of coach; he's Hobart '90 (Jeff Tambroni was '92) with a half-dozen college postings and 15 years as head coach. (Kerwick Bio) Maybe he's good enough to handle the job full-time. Maybe ex-coach Richie Moran, who's eternally young even if he's hit 70, steps into a more significant role as advisor, confidant, and proof that Cornell lacrosse continues on.

It's uncertain who'd jump ship from a full-time coaching position 3 months before the season starts to come to Cornell. It wouldn't help his reputation long-term. So maybe Cornell forgoes 2014 as a strong recruiting year in order to get the best coach possible in May or June 2014 and build for the future. [edit add:] And much as people disliking Andy Noel for making ushers be tough on Lynah spectators who allegedly drop the F-bomb, he does have a pretty good track record on hires. Give or take football, we have about as strong a sports program as any Ivy school.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 12:05PM by billhoward.

Posted by: shamer2001 (---.carestreamhealth.com)
Date: November 15, 2013 03:50PM

those who follow cuse/cornell lacrosse know exactly the recruit to whom you are referring and it's not a very good comparison. he is a very good player with good lax genes, but he was not highly recruited even after his pg year. if ben wanted him, i'm sure he would have returned the attempts. not a very good anecdotal comparison, esp when you consider ben brought in buczek and donovan and a lot of other very good talent. a good recruiting class is not defined by its total number either.

the definition of a good coach comes from the results on the field and in the classroom. ben did nothing but excel in both metrics. his loyalty to school and players led him to coaching the past several seasons without a contract, but such loyalty was not returned to him. he deserved better and will no doubt continue to excel wherever he ends up.

Date: November 19, 2013 12:44PM

Bloomberg story [www.bloomberg.com] quotes several players who say they weren't informed about the process or the reasons for his dismissal and that will hurt the Cornell program and relations with lax alumni. For instance, Max Seibald '09: “When you remove someone for reasons that are undisclosed to all of us, it’s tough for us to swallow and tough for us to understand.” But then there's Mike French '76, Cornell's greatest player ever give or take Rob Pannell '12/'13 '76 and Eamon McEneaney '77: “I don’t need to know all the reasons why decisions are made,” French, a former partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and owner of the National Lacrosse League’s Philadelphia Wings, said in a telephone interview. “I’m a fan, and I trust that there’s a process and I trust the people that make those judgments.”

It's unlikely Cornell is going to formally detail to alumni the reasons for the dismissal and it's equally likely they'll learn through the grapevine what happened.

(Seems unusual, Bloomberg covering lacrosse, and it's going to get rarer: NYT reports Bloomberg is laying off staff in sports and arts/culture to concentrate on its core, business news. [www.nytimes.com] )
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2013 09:05PM by billhoward.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 19, 2013 01:06PM

billhoward

It's unlikely Cornell is going to formally detail to alumni the reasons for the dismissal and it's equally likely they'll learn through the grapevine what happened.

Strange...they're always so communicative during fundraising time in the spring...:-(

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: November 19, 2013 01:47PM

So. Anybody know how satisfied Coach Tambroni and his wife are in Happy Valley?

Sorry. This DeLuca news just reminded me how devestated I was after learning that Tambroni news back then, and now it's hitting me doubly so.

Date: November 19, 2013 02:15PM

RichH
So. Anybody know how satisfied Coach Tambroni and his wife are in Happy Valley? Sorry. This DeLuca news just reminded me how devestated I was after learning that Tambroni news back then, and now it's hitting me doubly so.
Cornell is becoming the cradle of lacrosse coaches (we don't want to start a run of this being the grave of coaches, too.):
* Dave Pietramala, Cornell coach 1998-2000 to Hopkins coach.
* Jeff Tambroni, Cornell coach 2001-2010 to Penn State coach.
* John Tillman, Cornell player to Ithaca-Navy asst coach to Harvard coach to Maryland coach
* Mike Waldvogel, Cornell assistant 1970s during Cornell's 3 NCAA titles to long-time Yale head coach through 2002 (now Fairfield women's coach)
* Other?

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: November 19, 2013 02:27PM

Ned Harkness, lacrosse coach 1966-68, to Detroit Red Wings and Union College

Date: November 19, 2013 03:01PM

TimV
And football coach George Seifert (3-15 1975, 1976), who probably saw a lacrosse game looking out his window at Schoellkopf and then decamped for the pros and eventually two Super Bowls at San Francisco.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2013 04:20PM

billhoward
TimV
And football coach George Seifert (3-15 1975, 1976), who probably saw a lacrosse game looking out his window at Schoellkopf and then decamped for the pros and eventually two Super Bowls at San Francisco.

I don't know if "decamped" is the right word. Seifert was fired after two seasons, I assume so that Cornell could hire Bob Blackman, the once highly successful (104-37-3) Dartmouth coach, who had recently been dismissed by Illinois. In his six years at Cornell, Blackman went 23-33-1. Meanwhile, Seifert returned to Stanford as an assistant under Bill Walsh, followed him to the 49ers, and became head coach there in 1989.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2013 07:09PM by George64.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2013 04:41PM

billhoward
Rob Pannell '76
wtf

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: November 20, 2013 12:11AM

Also don't forget Bruce Arena - he only attended for 2 years, but managed national honors in both lacrosse and soccer (which he didn't even intend to play), and I think his first full-time coaching gig (lacrosse assistant coach) was at Cornell. Went on to coach UVA to 5 national titles in soccer, and then arguably had the best stint of any US national team soccer coach.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 12:13AM

Robb
Also don't forget Bruce Arena
Holy shit. Had no idea about this.

Date: November 20, 2013 10:16AM

Trotsky
Robb
IIRC, Arena as a player stumbled into soccer goaltending by chance when the HS starter got injured or bounced, and Arena was asked to move from defense. At Cornell he was more a lax player and also the second or third string soccer goalie until they got injured. He wound up tending goal in Cornell's 1972 trip to the NCAA (soccer) final four. He was HM or 2nd team All-America in both sports. He would have been an amazing lax coach (actually he was a Cornell asst for a year and also at Virginia worked with lax as well as soccer for a while). Instead he was an amazing soccer coach.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 12:23PM

billhoward
Instead he was an amazing soccer coach.
What a waste. :-P

Letter of support for Ben Deluca
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 03:34PM

Cornell Sun Letter of Support for Coach DeLuca

No castigation, just support for a good soldier.

If you'd like to add your signature and you have a google account go here.

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 06:52PM

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 06:50AM

And, so...the facts of the matter may emerge when??

wtf

Date: November 21, 2013 02:20PM

If you're reading tea leaves, start with Sun managing editor Akane Otani's story today and this. It was about time somebody asked the head guy some questions.

Akane Otani, Cornell Sun
In an interview with The Sun Wednesday, President David Skorton said the dismissal was “not just based on one incident.”

Posted by: cbuckser (172.56.17.---)
Date: November 21, 2013 03:40PM

Trotsky
Robb

In addition, former football coach Kent Austin is leading the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to this Sunday's Grey Cup in Regina, SK.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2013 05:36PM

cbuckser
Trotsky
Robb

In addition, former football coach Kent Austin is leading the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to this Sunday's Grey Cup in Regina, SK.
Taking any kind of credit for Kent Austin on the basis of three years when he was already a well established coach seems like a bit of a stretch.

Date: November 27, 2013 06:33PM

So, Pietramala and Tambroni are in DeLuca's corner.
What is really going on here?

cuss

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 08:24PM

Johnny 5
So, Pietramala and Tambroni are in DeLuca's corner.
What is really going on here?

cuss
Guys with no stakes in the fight are supporting their friend.

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 12:55AM

Another signer of the letter of support for DeLuca, as published at Inside Lacrosse, is Professor Rosemary Avery, Chair of the Department of Policy Analysis and Management, and faculty advisor to the men's lacrosse team. Was she consulted before DeLuca was fired? If not, why not?

Date: November 28, 2013 05:40AM

CU77
Another signer of the letter of support for DeLuca, as published at Inside Lacrosse, is Professor Rosemary Avery, Chair of the Department of Policy Analysis and Management, and faculty advisor to the men's lacrosse team. Was she consulted before DeLuca was fired? If not, why not?
Personnel matters are something for a manager and the manager's supervisor to discuss and resolve, bringing in HR and legal. A faculty advisor is perhaps due some kind of broad explanation, perhaps not. If being consulted means asking whether it's okay to dismiss the coach, that's more likely inappropriate. Rules of privacy surrounding a personnel action aren't discarded because one of New York's 10 biggest employers is a university. ILR grads chime in here.

Enough of the story will surface over time but it can't come from Cornell officially.

And now for something completely different
Posted by: Cornell95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 11:37PM

Rather than start a new thread, just figured I would add a short bit of positive press about the lax program here

[www.majorleaguelacrosse.com]

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 09:57AM

Matt Cooney '97 signed the open letter. How was he connected to the lax program? Friends with some players or did he play lax as well?

Date: November 29, 2013 11:03AM

DeLuca graduated in '98, so Cooney was probably friends with him directly (and maybe played some lax as well).

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 11:42AM

CU77
Isn't faculty advisor a player liaison? Why would Professor Avery be consulted about personnel decisions in that role? I'd expect that she'd be given the news about a firing a little early, perhaps, to prepare for interactions with the students who might, understandably, be upset, but it is not a position expected to be part of the decision to fire a coach in the middle of his contract.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 11:14PM

Fallout in terms of recruiting has already started. Cornell loses top recruit to UVA.

[www.laxlessons.com]

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 10:28AM

Got the call from UVA. What a dirty business. but we all knew that already.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 11:17AM

Redscore

As if Starsia doesn't get enough blue chippers cuss

Date: December 02, 2013 10:18AM

Redscore
The idea that this is dirty is based on a pretty warped premise: that a change in coach should not change the recruit's perspective.The restrictions in football and basketball are the abominations. Take off the red-colored glasses. Sometimes the naivete about this sort of thing on this forum is mind-boggling.

What possible reason can you give for Virginia holding off on making the call? He isn't enrolled, the coach he chose to play at Cornell for is gone, UVA is an excellent school with an elite lax program ...

Posted by: CU77 (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:18PM

ugarte
CU77
Isn't faculty advisor a player liaison? Why would Professor Avery be consulted about personnel decisions in that role? I'd expect that she'd be given the news about a firing a little early, perhaps, to prepare for interactions with the students who might, understandably, be upset, but it is not a position expected to be part of the decision to fire a coach in the middle of his contract.
Given the publicly known facts, the only possible conclusion is that DeLuca's firing was due to the "hazing" incident and at least one other (publicly unreported) off-field incident. I would think that the team's faculty advisor would be in a position to judge whether the coach was handling these in an appropriate manner or not. To me, the fact that the team's faculty advisor publicly signed a letter that (in my view) rebukes the administration for firing the coach is (to me) a notable sign that the administration's action was unwarranted.

And what I know for sure is this: for the first time in 40 years, I feel embarrassed to be a Cornellian.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:41PM

CU77
And what I know for sure is this: for the first time in 40 years, I feel embarrassed to be a Cornellian.
Really? Your standards are way too low. ;-)

Posted by: Redscore (---.customer.static.ip.paetec.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:43PM

ugarte
Redscore
The idea that this is dirty is based on a pretty warped premise: that a change in coach should not change the recruit's perspective.The restrictions in football and basketball are the abominations. Take off the red-colored glasses. Sometimes the naivete about this sort of thing on this forum is mind-boggling.

What possible reason can you give for Virginia holding off on making the call? He isn't enrolled, the coach he chose to play at Cornell for is gone, UVA is an excellent school with an elite lax program ...

Sometimes the jerks on this forum are mind-boggling. Do you have to make everything so personal?
I think a player should be absolutely free to do what ever he or she wants to do all the way until they enroll. So its not a question of forming an opinion based on a warped premise. I have no problem with him looking around again and choosing Virginia or any other school because Cornell is now different than what it was when he enrolled, or even if he just changed his mind for whatever reason.
Despite what you say, I do have problem with a school calling after they know that the player has committed. Let the recruit decide if he or she wants to look around but I have no rose colored glasses and I know that in any competitive situation the world works differently. I just don't have to like it and I would hope my school wouldn't do it, but I'm sure they all do. That's all. I also would hope to be able to post something like that without being called a naive fool.

Date: December 02, 2013 03:11PM

Redscore
ugarte
Redscore

Sometimes the jerks on this forum are mind-boggling. Do you have to make everything so personal?
I think a player should be absolutely free to do what ever he or she wants to do all the way until they enroll. So its not a question of forming an opinion based on a warped premise. I have no problem with him looking around again and choosing Virginia or any other school because Cornell is now different than what it was when he enrolled, or even if he just changed his mind for whatever reason.
Despite what you say, I do have problem with a school calling after they know that the player has committed. Let the recruit decide if he or she wants to look around but I have no rose colored glasses and I know that in any competitive situation the world works differently. I just don't have to like it and I would hope my school wouldn't do it, but I'm sure they all do. That's all. I also would hope to be able to post something like that without being called a naive fool.
I'm comfortable with my post. It is only as personal as you choose to take it. You are only the most recent person to express this kind of piffle.

You have no objection to anything except Starsia making a phone call to a player who "committed" - as if that means anything outside of the cartel of NCAA sports. If Greco didn't have misgivings he wouldn't have taken the call. You sound like a jilted ex. Your post is somewhere in the neighborhood of naive or self-serving, so you might as well wear the shoe - it fits.

*puts on jerk shoes* *thinks damn, these are comfy*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:12PM by ugarte.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 07:45PM

Oh yeah, Reilly? Well, the jerk store called. They are running out of you!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2013 10:49AM

It astounds me that the facts regarding this debacle are still unannounced.
I wonder if Max Seibald or Rob Pannell are looking for a side job?

help

Date: December 09, 2013 01:43PM

Personnel actions and the facts and findings behind them don't get announced, much as we'd like the inside story. The best to hope for is vigorous digging and reporting provides a rounded understanding of what happened.

Max Seibald and Rob Pannell would certainly be marquee names for the coaching staff. The best players aren't always the best coaches.

Assistant now interim head coach Matt Kerwick, who has lots of experience, including at Cornell, seems like the most likely person to carry Cornell into 2014, perhaps show he can be the head coach permanently. It feels as if Cornell will be hiring a coach for the 2015 season not 2014.

Date: December 09, 2013 02:29PM

Johnny 5
Do you mean "leaked"? Why would the details get announced? I'm sure that DeLuca knows the school's reasons. Neither he or the school are talking, though, and here's a non-exclusive list of reasons why that might be:

- When DeLuca was fired, he also received a settlement with a non-disclosure agreement

- there is a possibility of future litigation

- the school is being respectful enough not to air details

- nobody gives out controversial information unless they are compelled to do so and nobody is under any compulsion here.

These reasons are not mutually exclusive and also 100% SPECULATION. You don't have the answers you want because the people who have the answers don't want to share them. Full stop.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.syr.choiceone.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 02:30PM

It "astounds" me that someone believes he's entitled to the "facts" regarding a personnel decision involving an employer and its employee.

Posted by: mountainred (---.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 11:39AM

ugarte
Johnny 5
I'm sure that DeLuca knows the school's reasons.

You would think that, but Deluca's statement began with "For reasons which still remain unclear to me." I don't take everything I read in these situations at face value, so who knows? Perhaps it is intended to be a cute way of saying "I don't understand why the reasons justified discharge." Or maybe it's a negoiated phrase, but it's an odd choice if that's the case. If I'm the school, I wouldn't agree to something that makes it look like we didn't explain the rationale; I'd rather have a vague statement that Ben didn't agree with the reason(s).

We aren't entitled to any further explanation, but the school does have some incentive to assure possible donors (as they view all of us) that the decision was fair and reasonable.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 12:16PM

mountainred
ugarte
Johnny 5

You would think that, but Deluca's statement began with "For reasons which still remain unclear to me." I don't take everything I read in these situations at face value, so who knows? Perhaps it is intended to be a cute way of saying "I don't understand why the reasons justified discharge." Or maybe it's a negoiated phrase, but it's an odd choice if that's the case. If I'm the school, I wouldn't agree to something that makes it look like we didn't explain the rationale; I'd rather have a vague statement that Ben didn't agree with the reason(s).

We aren't entitled to any further explanation, but the school does have some incentive to assure possible donors (as they view all of us) that the decision was fair and reasonable.
Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't leave to spend more time with his family. That's typically how it works in private industry.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 02:10PM

Kyle Rose
mountainred
ugarte
Johnny 5

Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't leave to spend more time with his family. That's typically how it works in private industry.

Don't forget pursue other projects or differences in strategic vision.

Regardless of the merits, I think this was done in a very shabby way. The act may have been justified but I don't think that is the way to treat a long term employee. I wont be making any donations to the athletic department this year as a result.

Date: December 10, 2013 02:29PM

mountainred
ugarte
Johnny 5

Just spitballing here, but I'm guessing it's probably not a good strategy for future employment to iterate the list of all the reasons why the last guy fired you on the front page of the paper.

I'm sure any potential donor with sufficient enough, ahem, "gravitas" is able to have all of his questions answered to his satisfaction. Would it really be best for Cornell to yield veto or even oversight power to every yokel who kicks in a hundred bucks to the athletic department? Not a chance.

Date: December 10, 2013 04:15PM

mountainred
ugarte
Johnny 5

You would think that, but Deluca's statement began with "For reasons which still remain unclear to me." I don't take everything I read in these situations at face value, so who knows?
The last place I'd look for an honest assessment of Cornell's reasons for firing Ben DeLuca would be Ben DeLuca's public statement. The second-to-last place I'd look is Cornell's public statement.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 10, 2013 05:05PM

Robb
Would it really be best for Cornell to yield veto or even oversight power to every yokel who kicks in a hundred bucks to the athletic department? Not a chance.
No, just *this* yokel! I want some concrete value for my C-note!

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 08:12AM

Robb
mountainred
ugarte
Johnny 5

Just spitballing here, but I'm guessing it's probably not a good strategy for future employment to iterate the list of all the reasons why the last guy fired you on the front page of the paper.

I'm sure any potential donor with sufficient enough, ahem, "gravitas" is able to have all of his questions answered to his satisfaction. Would it really be best for Cornell to yield veto or even oversight power to every yokel who kicks in a hundred bucks to the athletic department? Not a chance.

I don't expect Cornell to vet personnel decisions with the alumni or to explain them. They are big boys and girls, they make decisions have to live with them. Now, those that are asked to donate (who are also big boys and girls) can make their own decisions based on the information that is publically availalbe. I have decided not to give money to the athletics dept this year because of my perception of the shabby way DeLuca was canned. The majority of my donation goes elsewhere but the portion that went to athletics will stay in my pocket this year. I am sure the institution will survive.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 09:16AM

Towerroad
Regardless of the merits, I think this was done in a very shabby way.
Towerroad
I don't expect Cornell to vet personnel decisions with the alumni or to explain them. They are big boys and girls, they make decisions have to live with them. Now, those that are asked to donate (who are also big boys and girls) can make their own decisions based on the information that is publically availalbe. I have decided not to give money to the athletics dept this year because of my perception of the shabby way DeLuca was canned.
I am genuinely puzzled by what you've written.

1. You say you "don't expect Cornell to vet personnel decisions."

2. You say that even if the dismissal was "merited" it was handled in a "shabby way."

How, then, should Cornell have handled it differently if it was "merited" given that personnel decisions shouldn't be vetted or explained?

Date: December 11, 2013 01:27PM

Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Towerroad
I don't expect Cornell to vet personnel decisions with the alumni or to explain them. They are big boys and girls, they make decisions have to live with them. Now, those that are asked to donate (who are also big boys and girls) can make their own decisions based on the information that is publically availalbe. I have decided not to give money to the athletics dept this year because of my perception of the shabby way DeLuca was canned.

2. You say that even if the dismissal was "merited" it was handled in a "shabby way."

How, then, should Cornell have handled it differently if it was "merited" given that personnel decisions shouldn't be vetted or explained?

Let me try and explain:

Mr. Deluca was a long time employee who was successful enough to have been recently promoted to lead one of the most prestigious athletic programs at Cornell. I assume he was appointed by Mr. Noel with the approval of the Admin.

His on the field record is hard to argue with.

The press release announcing his dismissal was one of the most blunt instruments of its type I have ever seen. My belief is that it was written harshly to send others a message.

I am forced to one of two conclusions, neither flattering to the admin.

A. There was a serious difference of opinion about how Mr. DeLuca was running the program which might include the "hazing" incident. If this was the case I believe that Mr. DeLuca should have been given and taken an opportunity to resign or lacking that the press release should have had some wording to the effect about differences of opinion about the direction of the program instead of the "don't let the door hit you in the ass" wording.

B. There was some other egregious activity which will never made public that justified the summary dismissal. In that case, Mr. Noel's judgement in appointing him must be brought into question given that both of them have been in the same organization for over a decade.

Every firing of this type represents an institutional failure. A failure to find the right person for the job that his/her superiors want done. In my opinion, the Admin. and Mr. Noel bear a significant portion of the responsibility for what happened and at least for this year I will withhold my financial support because of the poor job they did. I do not think we should reward poor performance by supposed professionals.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 01:30PM by Towerroad.

Date: December 11, 2013 02:05PM

Towerroad
Every firing of this type represents an institutional failure. A failure to find the right person for the job that his/her superiors want done.

This leads to its own set of problems: y having hired z, y tends to ignore or even suppress problems with z since that would call into question y's competence. Have a problem with z? You can't go to y because that would challenge y, but you can't go to y's boss x because x hired y... infinite regress.

Date: December 11, 2013 02:50PM

Towerroad
Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Towerroad

Let me try and explain:

Mr. Deluca was a long time employee who was successful enough to have been recently promoted to lead one of the most prestigious athletic programs at Cornell. I assume he was appointed by Mr. Noel with the approval of the Admin.

The press release announcing his dismissal was one of the most blunt instruments of its type I have ever seen. My belief is that it was written harshly to send others a message.

A. There was a serious difference of opinion about how Mr. DeLuca was running the program which might include the "hazing" incident. If this was the case I believe that Mr. DeLuca should have been given and taken an opportunity to resign or lacking that the press release should have had some wording to the effect about differences of opinion about the direction of the program instead of the "don't let the door hit you in the ass" wording.

B. There was some other egregious activity which will never made public that justified the summary dismissal. In that case, Mr. Noel's judgement in appointing him must be brought into question given that both of them have been in the same organization for over a decade.

Every firing of this type represents an institutional failure. A failure to find the right person for the job that his/her superiors want done. In my opinion, the Admin. and Mr. Noel bear a significant portion of the responsibility for what happened and at least for this year I will withhold my financial support because of the poor job they did. I do not think we should reward poor performance by supposed professionals.
Perhaps the most tortuous bit of reasoning I have ever seen, sorry to say--in particular part B. Suggest you read again the first posting on this thread...carefully.

Date: December 11, 2013 03:33PM

Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Towerroad

Let me try and explain:

Perhaps the most tortuous bit of reasoning I have ever seen, sorry to say--in particular part B. Suggest you read again the first posting on this thread...carefully.
I re read it and stand by my assessment. It is my money and my choice just like firing Mr. DeLuca was Mr. Noel and the Admin's. choice.

Date: December 11, 2013 04:52PM

Towerroad
I re read it and stand by my assessment. It is my money and my choice just like firing Mr. DeLuca was Mr. Noel and the Admin's. choice.
I could not care less what you do with your money, and have had no intention of trying to influence that. Apparently, you've missed the point I've been trying to make, so I'll just stop trying to make it.

Date: December 12, 2013 08:18AM

Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
I could not care less what you do with your money, and have had no intention of trying to influence that. Apparently, you've missed the point I've been trying to make, so I'll just stop trying to make it.
I understood your point.

On Dec 8, 1941 Winston Churchill sent a formal declaration of war to the Ambassador of Japan. The note was filled with diplomatic language and very polite but non the less clear. Churchill was criticized for the polite tone. Churchill waived off these complaints saying "If you are going to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite." I think the press release failed this test.

Date: December 12, 2013 09:02AM

Towerroad
Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
I understood your point.

On Dec 8, 1941 Winston Churchill sent a formal declaration of war to the Ambassador of Japan. The note was filled with diplomatic language and very polite but non the less clear. Churchill was criticized for the polite tone. Churchill waived off these complaints saying "If you are going to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite." I think the press release failed this test.
We'll disagree.

The first paragraph, the only one addressing DeLuca, is perfectly fine as written. The first sentence states the action taken. The second says it was a difficult action to take. The third asks us to be supportive of DeLuca.

Paragraph two describes the coaching changes taken as a result. Paragraph three asks, for the good of the players and the program, that people not react as you have.

Date: December 13, 2013 10:33AM

Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
Al DeFlorio
Towerroad
I understood your point.

We'll disagree.

The first paragraph, the only one addressing DeLuca, is perfectly fine as written. The first sentence states the action taken. The second says it was a difficult action to take. The third asks us to be supportive of DeLuca.

Paragraph two describes the coaching changes taken as a result. Paragraph three asks, for the good of the players and the program, that people not react as you have.

Yes, we disagree.

So, if you were me, and felt as I do how would you register your displeasure?

My family contains 3 generations of Cornellians and we are quite fond of the institution in particular its students and alumni but I am under no allusions about how the institution views us. Cornell is a business and we, the alumni, are cows to be milked. The milk is the only language that counts.

I have contributed for 30+ years and will likely continue till I draw my last breath but the few times they have done something that irks me I speak in the only language that matters.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 13, 2013 10:45AM

Towerroad
My family contains 3 generations of Cornellians and we are quite fond of the institution in particular its students and alumni but I am under no allusions about how the institution views us. Cornell is a business and we, the alumni, are cows to be milked.
You say this, and yet you continue to give them money. Strange. "Alma mater" must be the Latin name for some kind of parasitic infection, like toxoplasmosis.

If I give a business money, I expect to get something for it. Cornell may technically be a non-profit, but it is not a charity in any reasonable sense of the word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 10:45AM by Kyle Rose.

Date: December 13, 2013 10:52AM

Towerroad
the few times they have done something that irks me I speak in the only language that matters.
Sadly, in that language 99.99% of us can never speak above a whisper.

But in the end that is the only way to influence such a huge business.

Date: December 13, 2013 04:25PM

Kyle Rose
Towerroad
My family contains 3 generations of Cornellians and we are quite fond of the institution in particular its students and alumni but I am under no allusions about how the institution views us. Cornell is a business and we, the alumni, are cows to be milked.
You say this, and yet you continue to give them money. Strange. "Alma mater" must be the Latin name for some kind of parasitic infection, like toxoplasmosis.

If I give a business money, I expect to get something for it. Cornell may technically be a non-profit, but it is not a charity in any reasonable sense of the word.

I am a firm believer that the institution provides a social good. In particular it helps people help themselves and prosper. I am happy to support that endeavor so that the institution can provide others with the same advantages it provided me.

That being said, I broke my rose colored glasses a long time ago, Cornell is a business and part of it's revenue stream is gained by milking its alumni. By the way cows (and alumni) are actually pretty happy to be milked on the whole.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: December 13, 2013 05:00PM

Kyle Rose
Towerroad

If you don't feel you get something back, then don't do it. Some of us do feel we not only got something, but continue to receive benefits, and as Towerroad said, feel that helping the next generations is useful. I don't expect to like or agree with all that they do. But then I don't like, or agree, with all that anyone, or any business I know does. That doesn't stop me from liking them, nor from helping them, nor necessarily from buying from them again.

Date: December 13, 2013 08:45PM

Jim Hyla
Some of us do feel we not only got something, but continue to receive benefits, and as Towerroad said, feel that helping the next generations is useful.
Thanks for implying that I don't, Jim. In fact, I agree with all of what you said here. I simply don't think that giving more money to the beast is helpful. Without getting into a whole thing about this, I'll just provide one example: given the efficiency of the wealth extraction machine that is the financial aid system, money going to (say) grants doesn't actually offset costs for any student; rather, it increases the amount that the university spends. Just like any other good or service, the price of a Cornell education is only marginally related to its cost.

I feel strongly that a more useful way to help the next generation of students would be to figure out a way for Cornell to return to its educational mission, and provide a meaningful education of premium quality at a reasonable cost. Refocusing higher education away from the business of expansion and competition for research dollars and for bright minds that couldn't teach a fish how to swim, and toward the mission of education.

But this discussion probably belongs elsewhere.

Date: December 14, 2013 08:20AM

Al DeFlorio
It "astounds" me that someone believes he's entitled to the "facts" regarding a personnel decision involving an employer and its employee.

Ouch, that hurt so bad I think I'm going to have to check for bleeding.
Guess I'll just have to file the episode under, "Kennedy/Hoffa".
Lo siento, mucho.

Do I hafta return my Mensa card, too!?

thud

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2013 08:42AM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
Some of us do feel we not only got something, but continue to receive benefits, and as Towerroad said, feel that helping the next generations is useful.
Thanks for implying that I don't, Jim. In fact, I agree with all of what you said here. I simply don't think that giving more money to the beast is helpful. Without getting into a whole thing about this, I'll just provide one example: given the efficiency of the wealth extraction machine that is the financial aid system, money going to (say) grants doesn't actually offset costs for any student; rather, it increases the amount that the university spends. Just like any other good or service, the price of a Cornell education is only marginally related to its cost.

I feel strongly that a more useful way to help the next generation of students would be to figure out a way for Cornell to return to its educational mission, and provide a meaningful education of premium quality at a reasonable cost. Refocusing higher education away from the business of expansion and competition for research dollars and for bright minds that couldn't teach a fish how to swim, and toward the mission of education.

But this discussion probably belongs elsewhere.

You said that if you give, you expect to get something back. I said some of us give, not only because we get something back but also because of trying to help future generations. I did not mean to imply that you never got anything from Cornell.

It would be nice for you to "figure out a way for Cornell to return to its educational mission, and provide a meaningful education of premium quality at a reasonable cost." If you come up with a solution, tell me and I might enthusiastically endorse it, with money even. Short of a better solution, I choose to not sit on my hands, and my money, but to give in the hope that it might help fulfill that goal. I don't know that it is the best path, just that I don't know any other. The reason that HYP have been able to accomplish a lot toward that end, is because they had a huge headstart in the giving game. I don't know that I have a lot more to say, but no one has ever said I was short on words, so if you want to carry on this discussion elsewhere, that's OK.

Date: December 14, 2013 08:58AM

Jim Hyla
The reason that HYP have been able to accomplish a lot toward that end, is because they had a huge headstart in the giving game.
I'll break my rule to address this one statement, because I think it might give you an idea of where I'm coming from. HYP annoy the shit out of me because they have absolutely no excuse to be charging tuition at all. All three could cover every penny they receive in tuition by simply increasing disbursement from their endowments by a fraction of a percentage point. Cornell doesn't have that ability yet, but the proof that the business of higher education is primarily business, not education, is right there for everyone to see. When those schools stop charging tuition, maybe I'd then contribute to Cornell's endowment to get them into the same position. Until then, I have no confidence that any of these jokers have the right mission targeted.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2013 09:26AM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
The reason that HYP have been able to accomplish a lot toward that end, is because they had a huge headstart in the giving game.
I'll break my rule to address this one statement, because I think it might give you an idea of where I'm coming from. HYP annoy the shit out of me because they have absolutely no excuse to be charging tuition at all. All three could cover every penny they receive in tuition by simply increasing disbursement from their endowments by a fraction of a percentage point. Cornell doesn't have that ability yet, but the proof that the business of higher education is primarily business, not education, is right there for everyone to see. When those schools stop charging tuition, maybe I'd then contribute to Cornell's endowment to get them into the same position. Until then, I have no confidence that any of these jokers have the right mission targeted.

I think I know where you're coming from, I just haven't seen a better solution. And haven't HYP quit tuition for a large number of families?

Date: December 14, 2013 10:55AM

Jim Hyla
Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla

I think I know where you're coming from, I just haven't seen a better solution. And haven't HYP quit tuition for a large number of families?
And has continued to jack up the price for others. Seriously, just because a family can pay $40+G/year to send their kids to private school doesn't mean they should have to.

Theoretically, the core mission of elite universities is to educate the next generation of leaders. Charging tuition is one way to make that possible in the absence of other funding sources, but when it stops being necessary it really only makes sense to continue doing so if the school is a money-making venture foremost. If they'd be honest about that and give up any pretense at being tuition-check-to-tuition-check non-profits, I would still chastise them for prioritizing profit over their educational mission, but I suspect people would at least be more informed about what kind of institutions they're giving money to.

I know if I were a long-time donor to Harvard's endowment and knew that money (in concert with that of other donors over the decades) could be used to entirely offset tuition, I would be knocking down doors demanding to know why my money hasn't been used to do what I intended it for. I mean, seriously: what would I have donated it for? Certainly not to give the president of the university a plush new office.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 23, 2013 12:26PM

Kyle Rose
All three could cover every penny they receive in tuition by simply increasing disbursement from their endowments by a fraction of a percentage point. Cornell doesn't have that ability yet

And never will since every enormous gift the University receives is already earmarked for construction of something. Too bad Jay Walker left Priceline in 2000.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 11:19PM

Date: February 07, 2014 11:11AM

Emphasis added:
Laxpower.com
DURHAM, N.C.-Duke lacrosse head coach John Danowski has announced the addition of Ben DeLuca to the coaching staff as a volunteer assistant coach for the 2014 season. DeLuca joins the Blue Devils after three seasons as the Cornell University lacrosse head coach.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2014 08:24PM

billhoward
Emphasis added:
Laxpower.com
DURHAM, N.C.-Duke lacrosse head coach John Danowski has announced the addition of Ben DeLuca to the coaching staff as a volunteer assistant coach for the 2014 season. DeLuca joins the Blue Devils after three seasons as the Cornell University lacrosse head coach.

I thought about this, and realized DeLuca's contract is probably the reason he's had lawyers speaking on his behalf. If Duke were paying him now, the damages for any breach of contract might be less. So working as a volunteer might be crazy like a fox.

I don't know the details, of course, but I wonder if any sharks attorneys out there might shed some light on this conjecture.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 07, 2014 09:12PM

Swampy
billhoward
Emphasis added:
Laxpower.com

I thought about this, and realized DeLuca's contract is probably the reason he's had lawyers speaking on his behalf. If Duke were paying him now, the damages for any breach of contract might be less. So working as a volunteer might be crazy like a fox.

I don't know the details, of course, but I wonder if any sharks attorneys out there might shed some light on this conjecture.

NY law may be different, but generally you would deduct any mitigating wages in calculating damages so long as you could not have worked both jobs. I think the simpler reason DeLuca is working as a volunteer assistant is that Duke's paid assistant positions were full and have been since the school year started. I'm pretty sure the NCAA limits the number of paid coaches you can have, though I don't have the desire to go searching the NCAA rulebook to confirm.

Date: February 15, 2014 10:13AM

mountainred
Swampy
billhoward
Emphasis added:
Laxpower.com

NY law may be different, but generally you would deduct any mitigating wages in calculating damages so long as you could not have worked both jobs. I think the simpler reason DeLuca is working as a volunteer assistant is that Duke's paid assistant positions were full and have been since the school year started. I'm pretty sure the NCAA limits the number of paid coaches you can have, though I don't have the desire to go searching the NCAA rulebook to confirm.

It is far from clear if any contract has been breached. I suspect that Mr. Deluca has or had a contract with Cornell when he was dismissed. I suspect that he served as the lax coach at the pleasure of Mr. Noel. However, I suspect that the contract called for him to be paid a certain amount for a certain time regardless of whether Mr. Noel used him as a Lax coach or not. I think this is a fairly common structure. He may well still be on Cornell's payroll.

Working with John Danowski is certainly not going to hurt his career. I suspect a good reference from him would carry a lot of weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login