Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

General 2013-14 Wrestling thread

Posted by ugarte 
General 2013-14 Wrestling thread
Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: November 12, 2013 11:18AM

We can save the single purpose threads for the conference and NCAA tournaments and keep this thread for general bits of wrestling news.

The season kicked off with the Binghamton Open and the team did pretty well overall (though not quite as well as Penn State, who remain the team to beat). I wouldn't have even mentioned this but for the start of the season by Nahshon Garrett, who began the season ranked #3 in the country.

In a preseason exhibition, Garrett beat #7 Jarrod Patterson, an Oklahoma senior, 6-1 in OT. He followed that up by winning the Binghamton Open over #2 Nico Megaludis of Penn State 6-5. He'll almost certainly be #2 in the next rankings, behind only Jesse Delgado, the returning national champion. Mega beat Garrett last year, so this was nice opportunity for vengeance, as they didn't meet in the NCAAs.

Getting other good results from our frosh, so while this may be a bit of a rebuilding year (by Cornell's recent standards) it is still going to be a very good year.

Re: General 2013-14 Wrestling thread
Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: November 12, 2013 11:24AM

ugarte
We can save the single purpose threads for the conference and NCAA tournaments and keep this thread for general bits of wrestling news.

The season kicked off with the Binghamton Open and the team did pretty well overall (though not quite as well as Penn State, who remain the team to beat). I wouldn't have even mentioned this but for the start of the season by Nahshon Garrett, who began the season ranked #3 in the country.

In a preseason exhibition, Garrett beat #7 Jarrod Patterson, an Oklahoma senior, 6-1 in OT. He followed that up by winning the Binghamton Open over #2 Nico Megaludis of Penn State 6-5. He'll almost certainly be #2 in the next rankings, behind only Jesse Delgado, the returning national champion. Mega beat Garrett last year, so this was nice opportunity for vengeance, as they didn't meet in the NCAAs.

Getting other good results from our frosh, so while this may be a bit of a rebuilding year (by Cornell's recent standards) it is still going to be a very good year.

It seems that while there's no Kyle Dake this year, we have more depth up-and-down the lineup than ever before.

Date: November 12, 2013 11:28AM

scoop85
ugarte

It seems that while there's no Kyle Dake this year, we have more depth up-and-down the lineup than ever before.
Until we hit heavy... sigh.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 11:32PM

Easy win over Bingo this evening 33-6. The only two losses were at the weights were the regular starters (Garrett and Nevinger) were taking the night off. The freshman class continue to impress as Grey earns a tech fall while Realbuto and Dean get dominant pins.

Date: November 24, 2013 08:49PM

5 Big Red wrestlers won NY titles today: Grey (133), Villalonga (149), Realbuto (157), Dean (184), and Bennett (197). Garrett would have been a heavy favorite to win at 125 had he wrestled and Nevinger would have been favored at 141 (though Hofstra's Luke Vaith is very good).

Right now I think 7 starters are set, barring injury. There are the two veteran national title contenders in Garrett and Nevinger who are both top 5 ranked. Throw in the super frosh of Grey, Realbuto and Dean. Jace Bennett is probably the starter at 197 and he is top 20 ranked. And Styker Lane is the best heavy, though CU wrestling fans know that is faint praise as the Big Red continue to struggle at that weight. 149 is a two man fight with former super recruit Chris Villalonga trying to hold off yet another freshman in Alex Cisneros. That leaves 165 and 174 where coach Koll will try to find the hot wrestler every weekend.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 11:46AM

Dave Dean, father of freshman Gabe, named head of "Olympic Development Program " at Cornell. Haven't seen any other mentions of this. Interesting.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 12:07PM

Cornell crushed Maryland 31-9 in the first meet at MSG, but third-ranked Nevinger lost 5-0 in his first match of the year. Gabe Dean wrestled tough against Maryland's third-ranked 184 pounder, but came up short 5-3.

Date: December 01, 2013 04:08PM

And then beat Illinois 18-15 thanks to Stryker Lane's 2 OT victory at Hvy. And Gabe Dean's pin with 5 seconds remaining.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 11:42PM

mountainred
And then beat Illinois 18-15 thanks to Stryker Lane's 2 OT victory at Hvy. And Gabe Dean's pin with 5 seconds remaining.

From TeamUSA

In the featured college dual meet, sixth-ranked Cornell and seventh-ranked Illinois were deadlocked 15-15 entering the final match at heavyweight.

The match went through two cycles of overtime before Cornell’s Stryker Lane earned a hard-fought 4-3 victory over Illinois wrestler Christopher Lopez. That gave the Big Red a dramatic 18-15 win.

“Oh my goodness, that was so fun,” Lane said. “I could hear the crowd cheering for me. That got me pumped up and made me forget how I tired I was. I was glad I was able to get the job done at one of the best venues in the world.”

Cornell and Illinois highlighted the large field of 16 college squads that each competed in a pair of duals on Sunday.

Delgado, an Illinois junior, was named Outstanding Wrestler in the college division. The top-ranked Delgado, a returning NCAA champion, topped second-ranked Nahshon Garrett of Cornell 6-2 at 125 pounds. Garrett placed third at the 2013 NCAAs as a freshman.

“I didn’t think I wrestled well at all,” Delgado said. “I wasn’t moving my feet too well and my shots weren’t crisp. I just had to gut it out. It was a tough match, but I’m going to keep getting better and it won’t be that close the next time.”

Delgado clearly hasn't taken the course in athletes' gracious platitudes.

Date: December 01, 2013 11:48PM

BYW, Kyle Dake did not appear as planned in Grapple at the Garden due to a broken hand.
[www.intermatwrestle.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: December 02, 2013 09:14AM

David Harding
BYW, Kyle Dake did not appear as planned in Grapple at the Garden due to a broken hand.
[www.intermatwrestle.com]

Sounds like a 1980's WWF pay-per-view...

Date: December 08, 2013 10:44AM

Impressive performance for the wrestling team on their annual Las Vegas trip. The team finished fourth behind #6 Oklahoma, #7 Nebraska and #10 Ohio State, but were a man down as Mike Nevinger (149) was a late scratch. Mike's points certainly would have pushed the Big Red past Ohio State and maybe past Nebraska.

The youngsters continue to impress and these guys have a very bright future. Sophomore Nahshon Garrett rolled to the 125 title in a loaded field that had a half dozen top 15 wrestlers. I don't think he gave up an offensive point. Our other champ was Freshman Gabe Dean who won at 184 knocking off the #5 guy in the nation in the semis. Freshman Brian Realbuto finished second at 157, losing only to #3 James Green by a point in a match that could have gone either way. Freshman Mark Grey finished an oddly disappointing 4th at 133; it says something about your freshman class if 4th place in a top flight tournament is "oddly disappointing." Freshman Dylan Palacio came in unseeded at 165, but finished 6th. He beat three ranked wrestlers in the process and probably needs a year of weight training to be a serious A-A threat. But he is fun to watch.

Chris Villalonga also deserves a shout out. He's been dealing with high expectations as a blue chip recruit, but he looks like he has turned a corner. He finished 3rd at 149, losing only to defending national champ Kendric Maple and twice defeating #7 Scott Sakaguchi of Oregon State (CV was 0-3 against him before and the losses weren't that close).

Following up on my 11/24 post, CV and Palacio are probably now the starters for the foreseeable future. That only leaves 174 as unsettled.

Date: January 02, 2014 08:57PM

Cornell freshman Gabe Dean just snapped two-time NCAA champ Ed Ruth's 84-match winning streak in the finals of the Southern Scuffle. 7-4.

[instagram.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 09:12PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: January 02, 2014 09:48PM

Al DeFlorio
Cornell freshman Gabe Dean just snapped two-time NCAA champ Ed Ruth's 84-match winning streak in the finals of the Southern Scuffle. 7-4.

[instagram.com]#

Phenomenal performance. Gabe's title give the Big Red 2 champs; Nahshon Garrett defended his new #1 ranking by winning at 125.

Date: January 03, 2014 07:14AM

Dean-Ruth video here: [www.flowrestling.org]

Posted by: dag14 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 09:33AM

Thanks for the link to the match video. I "watched" it via live stats and knew Gabe had won but had no idea he did so decisively, or that Ruth's winning streak was that impressive. Gabe Dean is the real deal.

Date: January 03, 2014 10:55AM

dag14
Thanks for the link to the match video. I "watched" it via live stats and knew Gabe had won but had no idea he did so decisively, or that Ruth's winning streak was that impressive. Gabe Dean is the real deal.
I "watched" it the same way. That's probably what it was like "watching" big Cornell away football games in the 30s and 40s on the large gridiron board in Barton Hall.

Date: January 03, 2014 11:09AM

Garrett-Megaludis video here: [www.flowrestling.org]

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2014 01:52PM

Al DeFlorio

[instagram.com]#
Dean gets Outstanding Wrestler Award. Taylor wins, now that Dake has graduated.

Date: January 12, 2014 04:09PM

Cornell lays out Lehigh 33-7, winning 8 of the 10 weights. Biggest win is probably freshman Brian Realbuto's major decision (8-0) over top 10 ranked and defending EIWA champ Joe Napoli. Nice win for Villalonga over a ranked opponent as well.

Posted by: mountainred (---.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 23, 2014 01:12PM

I saw this posted on the wrestlingreport forum about William Koll (Rob's son and wrestling recruit): [www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com]

It's a good read and makes William out to be a great person, in addition to being a 2X state champ.

Date: January 23, 2014 11:34PM

mountainred
I saw this posted on the wrestlingreport forum about William Koll (Rob's son and wrestling recruit): [www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com]

It's a good read and makes William out to be a great person, in addition to being a 2X state champ.
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 09:39PM

Cornell skunked Brown, 38-0.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: January 26, 2014 03:06PM

Cornell leads Rutgers 13-6 at the break. Grey loses in an uninspired match. Not an impressive first half, other than Garrett.

Date: January 26, 2014 03:21PM

ithacat
Cornell leads Rutgers 13-6 at the break. Grey loses in an uninspired match. Not an impressive first half, other than Garrett.
I thought Mike Nevinger looked pretty good, winning 13-2. Should have been given that fall at the end of the period.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2014 04:51PM

Al DeFlorio
ithacat
I thought Mike Nevinger looked pretty good, winning 13-2. Should have been given that fall at the end of the period.

Nevinger's match was interesting. Looked like he had that pin at the end of the 1st, then almost got pinned, before taking care of his opponent. In the 2nd half of the dual Gabe Dean was the star. Pickett had a thrilling (if mostly boring) match, at least the end was thrilling. JAP almost pulled off an upset before losing in SV.

29-9 final. Decent crowd of 2,833 too.

Date: February 01, 2014 10:24PM

Cornell shuts out Penn 32-0 and dominates Princeton 36-7. No losses against Penn but 4 pins vs. Princeton.

Date: February 03, 2014 12:27AM

ugarte
Cornell shuts out Penn 32-0 and dominates Princeton 36-7. No losses against Penn but 4 pins vs. Princeton.
Correction: Penn was docked a point for some shenanigans from their bench, so actual final score 32 - (-1)

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 06, 2014 12:20AM

ugarte
ugarte
Correction: Penn was docked a point for some shenanigans from their bench, so actual final score 32 - (-1)

Wow, it wasn't that many years ago (or was it? time flies...) when Cornell v Penn duals were tight affairs. I remember watching on tv a few years back Cornell winning at Penn by narrowly taking the last match.

Obviously the Cornell wrestling program has made huge strives forward. Over the last few years have the other Ivies stayed about the same, gotten worse, or improved but not at a rate on par with Cornell?

Date: February 06, 2014 09:39AM

JasonN95
ugarte
ugarte

Wow, it wasn't that many years ago (or was it? time flies...) when Cornell v Penn duals were tight affairs. I remember watching on tv a few years back Cornell winning at Penn by narrowly taking the last match.

Obviously the Cornell wrestling program has made huge strives forward. Over the last few years have the other Ivies stayed about the same, gotten worse, or improved but not at a rate on par with Cornell?
Cornell has pulled away from the pack. The other Ivies have still collectively gotten a few All-Americans (or at least been competitive for AA) but don't have our top-end talent or depth. The Penn match was "closer" than it looks from the score, because some of the individual matches were close. Harvard had some very good wrestlers in the last few years (O'Connor, Jantzen, W. Peppleman), but all of them have graduated.

Despite getting shut out, Brown and Penn each have a top 10-ish wrestler at 184 ... but they wrestle in the same weight class as our #3 Gabe Dean. Penn has a guy in the top 20 at 165... and Dylan Palacio is just a little better. Penn has a guy in the top 20 at 125... we have the #1 wrestler in the country. The only weight class where the best Ivy wrestler is (a) not Cornell and (b) ranked, is at 174 where Duke Pickett is unranked and Columbia has the guy currently sitting at #20. If things go right this weekend, maybe they'll flip places.

We're relatively weak at 197 and Hwt. for an elite program, and have taken losses at those weights (with our first string) in Ivy matches this year. Our heavy is getting better as the year goes along, though - a soph who has taken the starting spot from a senior who qualified for NCAAs last year. Plus this is a rumored incoming frosh [www.flowrestling.org], so we may still be getting better as a team even though we're going to graduate two All-Americans (if you go by chalk) in Nevinger and Villalonga.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2014 09:43AM by ugarte.

Date: February 06, 2014 10:46AM

ugarte
Plus this is a rumored incoming frosh [www.flowrestling.org], so we may still be getting better as a team even though we're going to graduate two All-Americans (if you go by chalk) in Nevinger and Villalonga.
I believe Villalonga has additional eligibility, but don't know if he'll graduate this June and therefore be ineligible by Ivy rules. Note Koll's comments at 149 in his December 9 update here:

[wrestlingreport.com]

Date: February 06, 2014 11:07AM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Plus this is a rumored incoming frosh [www.flowrestling.org], so we may still be getting better as a team even though we're going to graduate two All-Americans (if you go by chalk) in Nevinger and Villalonga.
I believe Villalonga has additional eligibility, but don't know if he'll graduate this June and therefore be ineligible by Ivy rules. Note Koll's comments at 149 in his December 9 update here:

[wrestlingreport.com]
Yeah, that's always confusing. I see that he wrestled his frosh year, but if he got the medical waiver, he could come back. I think Koll calling him a junior suggests that he's planning his courseload to spend five years as a full-time undergrad.

Date: February 06, 2014 11:41AM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
ugarte

[wrestlingreport.com]
Yeah, that's always confusing. I see that he wrestled his frosh year, but if he got the medical waiver, he could come back. I think Koll calling him a junior suggests that he's planning his courseload to spend five years as a full-time undergrad.
His last match freshman year was in December, so maybe it's just an additional semester. I'm assuming--and could be wrong--those fall 2010 matches were in a Cornell singlet or they wouldn't be listed on his Cornell record. He wrestled quite a few matches but in just a few tournaments. I don't know how the NCAA counts things for getting a medical waiver in wrestling.

Date: February 06, 2014 11:47AM

Nice New York Wrestling News article here: [www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com]

Date: February 08, 2014 02:58PM

Cornell wins their 12th straight Ivy title and 63rd straight Ivy dual by beating Columbia 22-15.

A lot of things fell into place for Columbia. Four Big Red starters were out and the Lions won all four of those matches, including the dual's only pin. But Jace Bennett and Jacob Aiken-Phillips get shutouts at 197 and Hwt. to secure the win.

Date: February 16, 2014 09:15PM

Cornell is competing in the National Duals tournament and won their opening match over Virginia Tech - a talented but not elite squad - 34-0. There were a lot of close matches but we won 'em all. Big wins for Jace Bennett (a pin) and Jacob Aiken-Phillips at the top two weights.

In alumni news, Kyle Dake won the Cerro Pelado tournament in Havana while Jordan Burroughs - his top competition for the USA singlet in his weight class - finally lost for the first time in years to fellow American Nick Marable at a tournament in Turkey. Really hoping Kyle can break through and beat Burroughs the next time they meet.

Date: February 17, 2014 04:05PM

#4 Cornell beats #11 Oklahoma 23-20 in the National Duals semis and will face #1 Minnesota in the finals with a decent chance to win, given the weight-by-weight matchups. Cornell in red.

125 - Brancale s vs. #1 Garrett
133 - #8 Thorn vs. #15 Grey
141 - #6 C. Dardanes vs. #4 Nevinger
149 - #5 N. Dardanes vs. #4 Villalonga
157 - #9 Ness vs #6 Realbuto
165 - Zilverberg vs. #10 Palacio
174 - #4 Storley vs. Shanaman
184 - #5 Steinhaus vs. #2 Dean
197 - #1 Schiller vs. #17 Bennett
285 - #5 Nelson vs. Aiken-Phillips

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 18, 2014 06:54AM

Palacio's Overtime Fall Headlines Wrestling's National Duals Final Loss To No. 1 Minnesota

#1 Minnesota 24, #4 Cornell 15
Feb. 17, 2014 * Columbus, Ohio

125 - #1 Nahshon Garrett (Cor) won by decision over Sam Brancale (Minn), 12-5

133 - #8 David Thorn (Minn) won by major decision over #15 Mark Grey (Cor), 11-3

141 –#5 Chris Dardanes (Minn) won by major decision over Logan David (Cor), 16-6

149 - #3 Nick Dardanes (Minn) won by decision over #6 Chris Villalonga (Cor), 5-4 (sv1)

157 - #5 Dylan Ness (Minn) won by fall over #10 Brian Realbuto (Cor), 1:12

165 - #14 Dylan Palacio (Cor) won by fall over Danny Zilverberg (Minn), 7:36

174 - #6 Logan Storley (Minn) won by decision over Craig Eifert (Cor), 8-2

184 - #3 Gabe Dean (Cor) won by decision over #8 Kevin Steinhaus (Minn), 3-2 (OT2)

197 - #4 Scott Schiller (Minn) won by major decision over Jace Bennett (Cor), 11-1

285 - Jacob Aiken-Phillips (Cor) won by decision over Michael Kroells (Minn), 7-6

Date: February 23, 2014 09:06AM

Cornell finishes its dual season with a 28-19 win over Hofstra. Only three of CU's regular starters competed (Jace, JAP, and Nahshon) and all won comfortably.

Date: March 17, 2014 01:28PM

Nice recap of how our incoming class did in the state wrestling tournaments: [wrestlingreport.com]

SPOILER: They did very well.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 18, 2014 08:31AM

ugarte
Nice recap of how our incoming class did in the state wrestling tournaments: [wrestlingreport.com]

Nice. Though can someone explain to me how one wrester wins 6 state titles? Last I knew, high school was only 4 years, even in Alabama.

Date: March 18, 2014 08:59AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

Nice. Though can someone explain to me how one wrester wins 6 state titles? Last I knew, high school was only 4 years, even in Alabama.
You start in junior high school.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2014 11:39AM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

6 is impressive -- didn't Nickerson have 5 titles? That kid out of Rochester, who said Cornell is his dream school, just won his second title (I think he has three sectional titles) and he's a freshman.

Date: March 18, 2014 11:45AM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

It is pretty amazing to win that many titles if they aren't wisp-thin. The lowest high school weight class is 106 pounds, a tough go for most upperclassmen (the lowest collegiate weight class is 125), so you'll often see them won by freshmen or kids in junior high. Troy Nickerson won 5 NY state titles before coming to Cornell and wrestling at 125.

Womack's 6 titles pretty much chart him as a growing boy: 7th and 8th grade at 103 (2009 and 2010); as a freshman at 112 (2011); soph at 126 (2012); GROWTH SPURT junior and senior at 160 (2013 and 2014) [highschoolsports.al.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 11:46AM by ugarte.

Posted by: dbilmes (72.10.101.---)
Date: March 18, 2014 12:09PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

In New York State, junior high kids can compete on varsity teams. It doesn't happen often, which is probably a good thing.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 18, 2014 12:29PM

dbilmes
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

In New York State, junior high kids can compete on varsity teams. It doesn't happen often, which is probably a good thing.

I don't know if it's still the case, but middle schoolers in NY used to have to pass a fairly rigorous physical fitness test to play up on a varsity team. Even for sports like golf and tennis.

Date: March 18, 2014 01:22PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

It is pretty amazing to win that many titles if they aren't wisp-thin. The lowest high school weight class is 106 pounds, a tough go for most upperclassmen (the lowest collegiate weight class is 125), so you'll often see them won by freshmen or kids in junior high. Troy Nickerson won 5 NY state titles before coming to Cornell and wrestling at 125.

Womack's 6 titles pretty much chart him as a growing boy: 7th and 8th grade at 103 (2009 and 2010); as a freshman at 112 (2011); soph at 126 (2012); GROWTH SPURT junior and senior at 160 (2013 and 2014) [highschoolsports.al.com]
Keeps this up and he'll be our long-sought heavyweight contender.:-P

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2014 01:51PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

NY has a 99lb class.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2014 02:29PM

Chris '03
dbilmes
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

I don't know if it's still the case, but middle schoolers in NY used to have to pass a fairly rigorous physical fitness test to play up on a varsity team. Even for sports like golf and tennis.

the test is much easier now. mostly consists of doing some jumping and some pullups. is not nearly as hard to pass as it was 20-30 years ago.

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2014 03:18PM

Dustin Brown played varsity hockey at Ithaca High School as an eighth grader, the first year he was eligible to do so. He left for the OHL after 9th grade....

Date: March 18, 2014 04:22PM

ithacat
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

NY has a 99lb class.
I shouldn't have been so definitive. It was a pretty quick googling and I thought the reference was to a standard for an interstate body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login