Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

FF Semi vs. Duke

Posted by Jim Hyla 
FF Semi vs. Duke
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2013 07:19PM

About time we got to do this.

Re: FF Semi vs. Duke
Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 07:23PM

I will be making the trek up to Philly for this. I feel we are the best team in the country. I felt the same way when we faced Duke in a semi-final game in 2007. Hoping for a different result this time around.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 08:46PM

Anyone know what section the Cornell tickets are in?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 08:58PM

I want revenge on Duke. Then I want more revenge. Very thirsty for revenge this tournament.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 07:46AM

ugarte
I want revenge on Duke. Then I want more revenge. Very thirsty for revenge this tournament.
+1

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: May 20, 2013 08:14AM

Interesting geographic battle -- North Carolina versus New York in both games. Seems like the Confederacy switched to wearing blue.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 20, 2013 08:17AM

KenP
Interesting geographic battle -- North Carolina versus New York in both games. Seems like the Confederacy switched to wearing blue.

???

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: May 20, 2013 08:42AM

Killer
KenP

???

KenP turned the DU/UNC game off after the first.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2013 08:46AM

ugarte
On Tierney? That could be fun.

Posted by: margolism (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 09:32AM

Should be an interesting matchup this weekend. Cornell this year reminds me of the Duke team that had the Greer-Danowski power combo.

I wonder if Cornell having two blowout victories [in the tournament thus far] vs. Duke having two squeakers is a positive or a negative. Duke mentally knows they can come back. Cornell hasn't been in that situation.

Some other interesting tidbits I have observed in the stats:

- Only Cornell, Denver, North Carolina (OUT), and OSU (OUT) have thus far been able to score 16 goals in at least one game in this tournament.
- Cornell defense has given up the fewest goals per game (7, tied with Syracuse) thus far in the NCAA tournament. A very pleasant surprise.
- Almost half of Cornell's wins (6 of 14) were their opponents worst losses of the year, and in at least a few cases, their worst losses in several years. If you combine "second worst losses", then more than half (8 of 14) Cornell victories were either the oppositions worst or second worst losses of the season.

Looking at trending stats, Cornell has given up an average of 9 goals per game over their last five games, scoring an average of 15 gpg. All these teams had winning records.
Duke has given up an average of 10 goals in their last five games, while scoring 15.2 gpg. But two of those games were against very weak teams (Rutgers and Marquette, which only won 7 games this season combined.)

Against teams with winning records, Cornell 7-3 against teams with winning records, scoring 13.6 gpg against teams with winning records. Giving up 8.6 goals per game against teams with winning records. Differential of 5.
Duke 7-5 against teams with winning records, scoring 12.2 gpg against teams with winning records. Giving up 11.4 goals against teams with winning records. Differential of .8.

So while Duke has a very good record, against better teams they typically squeak by, while Cornell has often had a comfortable margin of victory.

I would be curious to see save percentages and face off percentages over the last five games.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 09:33AM by margolism.

Date: May 20, 2013 09:44AM

Killer
KenP

???
Never mind I'll crawl back to my hole in the ground. **]

Date: May 20, 2013 12:38PM

Josh '99
ugarte
I was aware that it worked either way! But I don't know that I feel all that revenge-y against Tierney. IIRC we had the upper hand on Princeton at the end of his tenure.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-70-192-202.myvzw.com)
Date: May 20, 2013 01:56PM

ugarte
Josh '99
ugarte
I was aware that it worked either way! But I don't know that I feel all that revenge-y against Tierney. IIRC we had the upper hand on Princeton at the end of his tenure.
Man had a long tenure, though. Kicked Cornell around in the nineties.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: May 20, 2013 07:28PM

ugarte
Josh '99
ugarte

Let's not become too elated from our recent success. One of the more interesting things about the path forward is that 3 HOF-calibre coaches stand in the way.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 07:49PM

Swampy
Let's not become too elated from our recent success. One of the more interesting things about the path forward is that 3 HOF-calibre coaches stand in the way.
You've got that right. And that's a big advantage in a game that goes down to the wire, as did the three those coaches won this past weekend.

Date: May 20, 2013 08:23PM

Al DeFlorio
Swampy
You've got that right. And that's a big advantage in a game that goes down to the wire, as did the three those coaches won this past weekend.
One thing has nothing to do with the other! All I'm saying is that any strong emotions about Tierney simmered down once he stopped owning us.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 09:10PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Swampy
One thing has nothing to do with the other! All I'm saying is that any strong emotions about Tierney simmered down once he stopped owning us.
Right! That's why I responded to Swampy's posting, not yours. Tierney's getting to be ancient history--and he looks even older than Jack Parker.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 10:32PM

phillysportsfan
Anyone know what section the Cornell tickets are in?

Announced as Section 104.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2013 03:38AM

Dear Big Red Lacrosse Fan:

For the fourth time in seven years Big Red Lacrosse will represent Cornell University in the NCAA Lacrosse Championship Final Four!

Cornell University’s Department of Athletics has teamed up with Alumni Affairs & Development and lacrosse alumni to host a pre-game tailgate party in Lot K, right next to Lincoln Financial Field (click here for a map). The weather looks to be perfect, we expect 500+ sports crazed CU Lacrosse fans and we hope you can join us... should be fun!

Schedule of Events for Saturday, May 25, 2013

Tailgate opens: 11:30 AM

Parade: 2:00 PM

Game starts: 2:30 PM

Cost: $20

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE TAILGATE

Event Details

Our tailgate area will open at 11:30AM and the Big Red Pep Band will parade the parents, former players and fans into the stadium around 2:00PM to cheer the Big Red on to victory! Traditional tailgate fare will be available: Subs, salads, cookies, bottled water and assorted sodas. The sale of alcoholic beverages are prohibited outside of Lincoln Financial Field so it’s BYOB.

If we win on Saturday, we’ll do the same thing all over again on Monday! Look for a follow-up email!

Go Big Red!

[secure.www.alumniconnections.com]

Cornell is running another tailgate as they did back in 2010 in Baltimore
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 03:43AM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2013 08:23AM

Al DeFlorio
... All I'm saying is that any strong emotions about Tierney simmered down once he stopped owning us.
Right! That's why I responded to Swampy's posting, not yours. Tierney's getting to be ancient history--and he looks even older than Jack Parker.[/quote]
Tierney is about 60, BU's Jack Parker is 68. The younger you are, the less relevant the difference. HS students sometimes can't discern 40 from 60, or actually they can, and see no difference.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2013 08:40AM

billhoward
The younger you are, the less relevant the difference. HS students sometimes can't discern 40 from 60, or actually they can, and see no difference.
It works the other way, too. At 25 the difference between 20 and 30 is a chasm. At 50, the difference has vanished. Distant objects merge.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 08:41AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 21, 2013 10:58AM

Trotsky
billhoward
The younger you are, the less relevant the difference. HS students sometimes can't discern 40 from 60, or actually they can, and see no difference.
It works the other way, too. At 25 the difference between 20 and 30 is a chasm. At 50, the difference has vanished. Distant objects merge.
Actually it is because your vision is going.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 21, 2013 11:26AM

ugarte
Trotsky
billhoward
Speak up!

Date: May 21, 2013 12:04PM

ugarte
Trotsky
billhoward
Today is yesterday's pupil.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (155.247.88.---)
Date: May 21, 2013 12:27PM

Revenge tour, +2.

Rise up.

Date: May 21, 2013 01:28PM

Trotsky
billhoward
Oh yes indeed. I recall at 24 seeing a 10th reunion event and thinking the people looked ancient. Julia Roberts said there are but three ages in Hollywood: babe, assistant DA, and Driving Miss Daisy.

Re: FF Semi vs. Duke - safe to wear red
Date: May 21, 2013 01:34PM

Nice that we have an opponent Saturday that doesn't wear red. On the other side Monday, our bracket plays the bracket that is crimson/gold (Denver) or orange and what, white? black? for Syracuse.

Date: May 21, 2013 01:35PM

billhoward
Trotsky
billhoward
Oh yes indeed. I recall at 24 seeing a 10th reunion event and thinking the people looked ancient. Julia Roberts said there are but three ages in Hollywood: babe, assistant DA, and Driving Miss Daisy.

“Who is Hugh O’Brian?”
“Get me Hugh O’Brian.”
“Get me a young Hugh O’Brian.”
“Who is Hugh O’Brian?”

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2013 10:24PM

Will be there... plus '???' (Got two in the Cornell section, but having trouble finding someone to come Sat).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 07:25AM

I'll be there.

I've got my ticket for Saturday; not in the Cornell section, but in the lower bowl somewhere. Since I'll be coming solo, odds are I'll move to a seat near the CU section.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 12:40PM

Since they had the nerve to schedule the lacrosse final four the weekend before my wedding, I won't be able to make it down for the semi but might be able to do a day trip down to Philly for the final if we make it that far.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 01:03PM

Josh '99
Since they had the nerve to schedule the lacrosse final four the weekend before my wedding, I won't be able to make it down for the semi but might be able to do a day trip down to Philly for the final if we make it that far.

Since it's always this weekend, we need to see who has the nerve to schedule what. Anyway, it's the weekend before, not the weekend of.bolt

Date: May 22, 2013 02:05PM

Jim Hyla
Josh '99

Since it's always this weekend, we need to see who has the nerve to schedule what. Anyway, it's the weekend before, not the weekend of.bolt
Heh. Yes, you're absolutely right. I blame myself. :-D

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 22, 2013 03:09PM

DeLuca, Tierney, Danowski, and Desko excerpts from the media conference call:

[insidelacrosse.com]

DeLuca has the shortest section of the four, and pretty much only talks about Special Teams and Defense.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2013 03:09PM by RichH.

Re: FF Semi vs. Duke - weather advantage
Date: May 24, 2013 09:47AM

It's going to rain Saturday in Philadelphia, sunny Monday. So do we believe this benefits the attack because the defense will have trouble getting traction when Mock or Pannell changes direction suddenly? Or does it hamper the delicate ballet between the two?

Getting psyched for Saturday.

Date: May 24, 2013 10:02AM

billhoward
It's going to rain Saturday in Philadelphia, sunny Monday. So do we believe this benefits the attack because the defense will have trouble getting traction when Mock or Pannell changes direction suddenly? Or does it hamper the delicate ballet between the two?
If it rains the way it did yesterday it'll drown everybody. That was nuts.

Date: May 24, 2013 10:06AM

billhoward

Getting psyched for Saturday.
"Men, this game will come down to one thing: CLEAT SELECTION!"

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 11:22AM

Trotsky
billhoward

"A chance of showers before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 65. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%."

We've played in Weather before.

Date: May 24, 2013 11:23AM

RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

"A chance of showers before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 65. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%."

Yeah, but there isn't going to be Weather on Monday, when we might play the notoriously Weather-averse Syracuse.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 11:27AM

Josh '99
RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

Yeah, but there isn't going to be Weather on Monday, when we might play the notoriously Weather-averse Syracuse.

There is no Monday until a thread appears here to discuss such a mythical day.

Date: May 24, 2013 12:50PM

RichH
Josh '99
RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

What is this Monday you speak of?

Date: May 24, 2013 02:28PM

Towerroad
RichH
Josh '99
RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

To be clear, I wasn't making any assumptions about Cornell playing on Monday, just that there will, in all likelihood, be a day of the week by that name.

Date: May 24, 2013 03:00PM

Josh '99
Towerroad
RichH
Josh '99
RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

To be clear, I wasn't making any assumptions about Cornell playing on Monday, just that there will, in all likelihood, be a day of the week by that name.

Still not getting it. I know today is Friday an then there is Saturday nothing beyond.

Date: May 24, 2013 09:18PM

Towerroad
Josh '99
Towerroad
RichH
Josh '99
RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

Still not getting it. I know today is Friday an then there is Saturday nothing beyond.
Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today i-is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball [tomorrow]

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards

Re: FF Semi vs. Duke - on Satellite Radio
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 10:38PM

FYI for those of you spending time in your car on Saturday.

Sirius/XM satellite radio will be broadcasting the college lax semis and final on their College Sports Station, channel 91 on XM (not sure what channel if you have a Sirius radio). It is also available on the internet (you can sign up for a trial version if you don't have the internet version of satellite radio).

Date: May 25, 2013 09:12AM

ugarte
Towerroad
Josh '99
Towerroad
RichH
Josh '99
RichH
Trotsky
billhoward

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today i-is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball [tomorrow]

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards

I have heard tell of this Sunday you speak of. I think it is a day reserved for great rejoicing.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2013 02:40PM

Rita
FYI for those of you spending time in your car on Saturday.

Sirius/XM satellite radio will be broadcasting the college lax semis and final on their College Sports Station, channel 91 on XM (not sure what channel if you have a Sirius radio). It is also available on the internet (you can sign up for a trial version if you don't have the internet version of satellite radio).

On ESPN3 too.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:07PM

Againcuss

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 05:10PM

Screw those f'ing Refs!!!

Date: May 25, 2013 05:11PM

Un-fucking-believable.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2013 05:12PM

Can't really blame the refs for this one. Gotta blame that awful 3rd quarter.

The 4th quarter, however, was amazing. AMAZING. It redeemed that game and made it exciting right up until the final minute. Too bad they fell short, but at least they ended the game playing like they meant it.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:15PM

You can blame the refs. There is always a hundred reasons one loses a game, but they really gave Duke a breather when we were about to catch up. I can't let them off. Two horrible calls that lost us possessions in the midst of almost tying the game. Everything before that gets thrown out the window.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:26PM

Redscore
You can blame the refs. There is always a hundred reasons one loses a game, but they really gave Duke a breather when we were about to catch up. I can't let them off. Two horrible calls that lost us possessions in the midst of almost tying the game. Everything before that gets thrown out the window.
That's a little more than I think it's reasonable but it was frustrating as hell.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:26PM

Thank you to the Senior Class and the whole team for a great run.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 05:28PM

For those of us here and not watching tv with replay, was it really a phantom tip?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 05:29PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: May 25, 2013 05:34PM

DeltaOne81
For those of us here and not watching tv with replay, was it really a phantom tip?

Totally blown call. Even the Duke player knew he had thrown it out of bounds and had turned and was running back. The Connor Buzcek in the crease call was even worse.... I realize that we lost the game for a number of other reasons but I still find those calls unforgivable. Oh well...

Posted by: underskill (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 05:46PM

So duke lacrosse is the equivalent of unh hockey?

Date: May 26, 2013 10:54AM

With apologies to Ernest Lawrence Thayer

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The Big Red band is playing, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere the Frosh are laughing, and the coeds jump and shout;
But there is no joy in Redville – the Big Red has struck out.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2013 12:49PM

Well, fuck.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 11:42PM

Argh really tough loss, the fast start felt like the last 2 games but I guess it was fool's gold considering we had that lead despite getting killed on the faceoffs. 3rd quarter was a disgrace but the team showed some heart with that comeback. The national championship drought continues, when are they ever going to end the drought

Not sure yesterday could have worse, we lose in a tough way and Syracuse who hasnt played well the whole tournament limps through another victory to make the title game. Cant root for either team tomorrow, we should just pretend there is no game tomorrow, I dont think I can watch it

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 12:07PM

phillysportsfan
Cant root for either team tomorrow, we should just pretend there is no game tomorrow, I dont think I can watch it

A tactical nuclear strike would leave a smoking hole where Duke lacrosse, Syracuse lacrosse, and the city of Philadelphia are today.

Just sayin'.

(Too bad the Red Sox - Phillies game is at Fenway.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 12:09PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2013 01:25PM

Trotsky
phillysportsfan
Cant root for either team tomorrow, we should just pretend there is no game tomorrow, I dont think I can watch it

A tactical nuclear strike would leave a smoking hole where Duke lacrosse, Syracuse lacrosse, and the city of Philadelphia are today.

Just sayin'.

(Too bad the Red Sox - Phillies game is at Fenway.)

Well, I was going to say we should root for whichever team is more likely to have an ineligible player, so the title could be vacated, but WHAT THE FRELL ESPNU just listed Syracuse with 11 national titles, including the vacated one. No, you bastards, that's 10 titles, NOT including the vacated one. That's what vacated means! cuss:-(bang

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 01:26PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 03:30PM

Congrats to the Big Red on a great season and to Rob Panell on a great collegiate career.

I'll root for Syracuse becuase their success just makes us more angry and Duke has enough sports success with bball alone.

Date: May 27, 2013 04:19PM

Geez, that hurt seeing Duke hoist the trophy.

Rob, thanks for coming back and giving it the old college try.

Posted by: semsox (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 06:20PM

At the very least Duke's win should seal the Tewaaraton for Rob. Small consolation for what I'm sure was a fairly emotional weekend for him and the rest of the team.

Date: May 27, 2013 07:17PM

You might say the championship game was Saturday.

Date: May 27, 2013 09:34PM

Jim Hyla
you might, but Syracuse beat us this year, so I wouldn't

Date: May 28, 2013 12:45PM

Jim Hyla

You can say it but it will not make it true. Syracuse beat 3 teams and got to the finals, we only beat 2. Let's give them the same respect Duke gave them at the end of the game.

Date: May 28, 2013 02:44PM

Three of the teams in the final four were lucky to get there. They stumnbled into Philadephia. Syracuse with the advantage of the #1 seed had tournament margins of +5, +1, +1 and -6. Duke had margins of +1, +1, +2 and +6. Cornell had margins of +8, +10, and -2. Denver had margins of +5, +1, and -1. Duke and Syracuse IIRC were not certain of making the tournament at midseason.

No question Duke did a good job shutting off Steve Mock and found a way to get 7 of 8 SOG past our goalkeeping in the third period. We did an amazing job coming back. We can think of plenty of if-onlys: the shot that didn't go just before the half, all the pipes Pannell & co. hit, our playing the All-America FOGO specialist to a near draw and then coming close to winning the crucial faceoff after Cornell draw to within 1, 15-14, with :53 left.

The championship determines a champion if not the best team.

We all have to let off steam because we suspect it may be a while until there's a Cornell team that can seriously contend for the title again. I'm wonder if that's how hockey fans felt in the spring of 1969 with Ken Dryden departed.

Date: May 28, 2013 03:28PM

Any thoughts on Steve Mock's lower-than-normal productivity? To the untrained eye he seemed to be standing around in the center of the field. Was he unable to get open due to Duke's superior defense? Perhaps he wasn't 100% healthy?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 04:00PM

billhoward
We all have to let off steam because we suspect it may be a while until there's a Cornell team that can seriously contend for the title again. I'm wonder if that's how hockey fans felt in the spring of 1969 with Ken Dryden departed.
I think a lot of people thought this in 2009 when Max Seibald graduated.

Date: May 28, 2013 04:35PM

Kyle Rose
billhoward
Exactly. Was Buczek a senior? He looked pretty great. There is still talent on this team. I'm not giving up yet.

The differnce in the semi - as someone who only got to watch the 4th quarter, so I'm mostly referring to the almost-comeback - was goaltending, but not ours. Fiore was fine in the time that I watched but Duke's keeper was AMAZING. He stopped a few from point-blank range that I still can't believe. It took that kind of amazing goaltending to preserve that 8 goal lead. Brutal, but it was good to see that the team really kept at it.

On the other hand I had to unfollow Cornell Lax on Twitter because they retweeted every "good job, good effort" tweet and it was making me sick. It was a terrible, brutal loss and I'll need some time before I'm willing to say "good season anyway, guys!" since I know this was a squad good enough to be champions.

Date: May 28, 2013 04:45PM

Kyle Rose
billhoward
It was somewhat different. In 2009 we had a freshman attackman with unlimited potential, RP3. No doubt there are solid freshmen and sophomores to carry Cornell the next 2-3 years especially attackman Matt Donvan, midfielder Connor Buczek, and two-thirds of the close defense, plus face off Doug Tesoriero (who almost played Duke's AA FOGO guy evenly). The team has definite potential in 2014 and even more in 2015. But this is a team that loses 5 of its 6 All-America honorees (1st 2nd 3rd or HM). Beyond Buczek, are there any returnees likely to be on the initial Tewaaraton watch list?

Princeton's first midfield will be world-class next year and Mike McDonald, their sophomore attackman, was more visible I thouught than Matt Donovan; I think they're the Ivy favorite starting the season. Donovan needs to step up on attack again and it will be good to see if rising senior Cody Bremner shows the promise we saw at times his freshman year. AJ Fiore's terrible third quarter may have been a turning point in the Duke game but I think we're still going to miss him.

Date: May 28, 2013 04:55PM

KenP
Any thoughts on Steve Mock's lower-than-normal productivity? To the untrained eye he seemed to be standing around in the center of the field. Was he unable to get open due to Duke's superior defense? Perhaps he wasn't 100% healthy?
A couple of teams not just Duke clamped down in close and shut off Mock. Pannell-to-Mock is tightly choreographed and sometimes the timing is just off a tad. But Pannell shooting on-goal and the midfield picked up the slack. Almost.

I think we lost because (not sure which order):
* 3-4-5 shots in the first half that really should have gone in, didn't. (When I saw Pannell's pipe and Mock / Donovan missig up close, I thought, no problem, the odds will swing our way, except they didn't.)
* Failure to score and tie at 7-7 at halftime
* Duke scores on 7 of 8 shots in the third (maybe that goes higher)
* Failure to control the faceff following the goal that made it 15-14 with a minute to play
* A couple fourth quarter shots that were either great Duke saves or our shooting at the goalie's stick
* A Duke goal, forget which, that was a half-field pass to an attackman alone on the crease, shades of Memorial Day 2009
* Blown calls?

In comparison, I don't think Duke can point to nearly as many instances where they could have gotten many more goals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login