Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament

Posted by kingpin248 
2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament
Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 09:13PM

(1) Syracuse v. Bryant
(8) Penn State v. Yale

(5) North Carolina v. Lehigh
(4) Denver v. Albany

(3) Ohio State v. Towson
(6) Maryland v. Cornell

(7) Duke v. Loyola
(2) Notre Dame v. Detroit

1/8 and 3/6 quarterfinals at College Park; 4/5 and 2/7 quarterfinals at Indianapolis.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2013 09:27PM by kingpin248.

Re: 2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament
Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 09:16PM

How is UNC's seed not higher?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2013 09:16PM by phillysportsfan.

Date: May 05, 2013 09:25PM

Damn we dont even get a home game

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 09:48PM

this makes us the last team in, right?

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 09:54PM

Reminds me of ncaa hockey seedings of years past. Cornell dropped to the 10th seed. If you have the home field for your conference tournament you should win at least one game.

UNC and Cornell demoted.

Ohio State got a bump up.

They said they used computer rankings to help with seeding. I do not see much of that.

Projected braketology

Lacrosse Magazine

College Park

(1) BIG EAST/Syracuse vs. NORTHEAST/Bryant
(8) Cornell vs. Loyola

Indianapolis

(4) ECAC/Ohio State vs. PATRIOT/Lehigh
(5) Denver vs. Duke

College Park

(3) North Carolina vs. COLONIAL/Towson
(6) Maryland vs. AMERICA EAST/Albany

Indianapolis

(2) Notre Dame vs. METRO ATLANTIC/Detroit
(7) Penn State vs. IVY/Yale

Inside lacrosse

1. Syracuse (Big East)
Bryant (NEC)

8. Cornell
Albany (America East)

4. North Carolina
Towson (CAA)

Penn State
5. Ohio State

Yale (Ivy)
3. Denver (ECAC)

6. Maryland
Lehigh (Patriot League)

Loyola
7. Duke

Detroit (MAAC)
2. Notre Dame
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2013 09:56PM by flyersgolf.

Re: 2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament - ESPNU selection show
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 10:16PM

The sport of lacrosse is ascending. The ESPNU selection show is descending, run by a bunch of amateurs (drawing paychecks) with game video backing them up. The studio announcers had a chance to talk about who's likely to advance and Kessenich and Carcaterra don't say squat beyond that Syracuse, the No. 1 seed, has a favorable matchup. Well, yes, Bryant (Laxpower RPI 32) and Detroit (RPI 53) don't belong in the tournament except they won conference championships. Which may be for the good of lacrosse. I think one of them mentioned that Cornell and Loyola (also Lehigh (?)) might be tough competition in an aside.

The show brings on Bryant (fired Duke) coach Mike Pressler about the excitement of being in the show but, please, in fairness at least mention it wasn't "circumstances" it was a coach who lost control of his players off-field that got him fired. They bring on the NCAA selection committee head and don't drill him harder on whether a formulaic selection system misses getting the best teams in the tournament, or why No. 1 (polls) UNC is a 5-seed. The most he admitted to was that Bucknell was probably that the last team not to make it.

Quint Kessenich looks like a young Bob Costas. But if he wants to be the next Bob Costas, he has to step us his game. Otherwise he's going to top out covering college lacrosse and wrestling.

Re: 2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament - upsets
Date: May 05, 2013 10:28PM

I like Cornell and Albany to beat the higher seeds, maybe Lehigh over NC. The only two safe games are the 1-2 seeds, Syracuse over Bryant (although the Orange did lose to RPI-39 Hobart and Bryant is better than that at 32) and Notre Dame over Deroit (RPI 53 of 63).

kingpin248
(1) Syracuse v. Bryant <<< Syracuse
(8) Penn State v. Yale <<< pick 'em

(5) North Carolina v. Lehigh <<< Lehigh?
(4) Denver v. Albany <<< Albany

(3) Ohio State v. Towson <<< pick 'em, don't see either in the final four
(6) Maryland v. Cornell <<< Cornell

(7) Duke v. Loyola <<< pick 'em
(2) Notre Dame v. Detroit <<< disband the team if the Irish don't win; to save airfare Detroit buses to ND not flies to Syracuse

1/8 and 3/6 quarterfinals at College Park; 4/5 and 2/7 quarterfinals at Indianapolis.

Date: May 05, 2013 10:35PM

Apparently so (Cornell as last team in) since Loyola gets a lower-seeded opponent, No. 7 duke instead of No. 6 Maryland. Give or take E-W brackets, we are the 11 seed and 12-16 are AQ cannon fodder.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2013 10:54PM by billhoward.

Date: May 05, 2013 10:56PM

phillysportsfan
RPI has it Cornell, Maryland, NC as top three teams if I read it right

Re: 2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament - ESPNU selection show
Date: May 05, 2013 11:18PM

billhoward
The sport of lacrosse is ascending. The ESPNU selection show is descending, run by a bunch of amateurs (drawing paychecks) with game video backing them up. The studio announcers had a chance to talk about who's likely to advance and Kessenich and Carcaterra don't say squat beyond that Syracuse, the No. 1 seed, has a favorable matchup. Well, yes, Bryant (Laxpower RPI 32) and Detroit (RPI 53) don't belong in the tournament except they won conference championships. Which may be for the good of lacrosse. I think one of them mentioned that Cornell and Loyola (also Lehigh (?)) might be tough competition in an aside.

The show brings on Bryant (fired Duke) coach Mike Pressler about the excitement of being in the show but, please, in fairness at least mention it wasn't "circumstances" it was a coach who lost control of his players off-field that got him fired. They bring on the NCAA selection committee head and don't drill him harder on whether a formulaic selection system misses getting the best teams in the tournament, or why No. 1 (polls) UNC is a 5-seed. The most he admitted to was that Bucknell was probably that the last team not to make it.

Quint Kessenich looks like a young Bob Costas. But if he wants to be the next Bob Costas, he has to step us his game. Otherwise he's going to top out covering college lacrosse and wrestling.

Yeah and they are obsessed with Hopkins, they wasted 5 minutes talking about Hopkins and interviewing Pietramala instead of talking about the teams actually in the tournament

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 06, 2013 07:42AM

I think the nebulous "Strength of Schedule" burned us this year. We played one top 5 team, and too many weak teams. I understand we want to support NY state lax and keep travel costs down, but we need to pick some better teams if we want to be treated like a real program.

That and with the exception of Denver, the seeds all show signs of Big Name School Bias.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 09:40AM

flyersgolf
They said they used computer rankings to help with seeding. I do not see much of that.
If somebody keeps their objective criteria secret, they aren't using objective criteria.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 10:50AM

With the first round loss in the Ivy tournament and the lack of games against what ended up being the cream of the crop I think we got the placing we deserved +/- 1.

I don't think we were ever going to draw Bryant/Detroit in the first round and there is a lot of parity among the balance of the field so we were going to have to beat somebody good to get to he second round so it might as well be Maryland.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 06, 2013 12:04PM

Towerroad
With the first round loss in the Ivy tournament and the lack of games against what ended up being the cream of the crop I think we got the placing we deserved +/- 1.

I don't think we were ever going to draw Bryant/Detroit in the first round and there is a lot of parity among the balance of the field so we were going to have to beat somebody good to get to he second round so it might as well be Maryland.

Should we get by Maryland, I like the potential QF pairing over any of the others, too.

Date: May 06, 2013 01:24PM

RichH
Towerroad

Should we get by Maryland, I like the potential QF pairing over any of the others, too.

And fortunately our bracket plays the QF game at Maryland; I had thought our bracket was going to Indianapolis (since Mariucci Arena was not available to stuff Cornell in). The Cornell-Maryland winner gets the Towson-Ohio State winner in the QFs. The NCAA seeders have TOSU as the third best team in the country. [insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 01:34PM

Trotsky
flyersgolf
If somebody keeps their objective criteria secret, they aren't using objective criteria.
That's... not really true. If someone keeps their objective criteria secret, it gives external observers reason to believe they might not be using objective critieria, but it doesn't mean they're not objective. Here, this list of names is ranked using objective criteria:

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

The fact that you don't know what the criteria are (though I would imagine it's not a difficult code to crack) doesn't mean they weren't objective.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 01:47PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf
That's... not really true. If someone keeps their objective criteria secret, it gives external observers reason to believe they might not be using objective critieria, but it doesn't mean they're not objective. Here, this list of names is ranked using objective criteria:

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

The fact that you don't know what the criteria are (though I would imagine it's not a difficult code to crack) doesn't mean they weren't objective.
In this case, guessing is far more entertaining than knowing.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: May 06, 2013 02:20PM

Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

Yeah, that and speculating why Kyle didn't make the list. ;-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: May 06, 2013 02:28PM

Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

Kyle would have been last in the list and Josh didn't want to pick any fights. And he wanted Greg to be last.

Date: May 06, 2013 02:40PM

Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

Kyle would have been last in the list and Josh didn't want to pick any fights. And he wanted Greg to be last.
Greg being last in a list that I created to dispute a point he made was really just a coincidence.

Date: May 06, 2013 02:57PM

IQ? Looks? Girth? Posts? Snarky posts? Semesters to graduate?

Date: May 06, 2013 03:17PM

billhoward
IQ? Looks? Girth? Posts? Snarky posts? Semesters to graduate?
Many of those are subjective, and I would have no way of accurately judging any of them except for post count.

Date: May 06, 2013 03:20PM

Trotsky
flyersgolf

I object!

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: May 06, 2013 04:22PM

Tickets available at this link. According to the U-MD ticket office, "All seating in the bowl area is general admission. Typically, the visiting team fans will just congregate in an area behind the visiting team bench area."

Date: May 06, 2013 04:32PM

Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

Greg being last in a list that I created to dispute a point he made was really just a coincidence.

Aphabetical starting with the second letter.

Date: May 06, 2013 04:36PM

Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: May 06, 2013 04:44PM

Josh '99
Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.
Too bad (Rob) Szewczyk isn't a hockey fan.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: May 06, 2013 06:10PM

Josh '99
Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.

What's objective about that? You chose to use the Roman alphabet instead of Hebrew, Hangul, Aramaic, or any of the rest. What were your objective criteria for choosing this particular alphabet? Huh?

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: May 06, 2013 06:10PM

Josh '99
Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.

What's objective about that? You chose to use the Roman alphabet instead of Hebrew, Hangul, Aramaic, or any of the rest. What were your objective criteria for choosing this particular alphabet? Huh?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 06, 2013 07:49PM

Swampy
Josh '99
Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.

So, you couldn't be objective enough with 1 post?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 07, 2013 08:59AM

Swampy
Josh '99
Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.

Well, you raise a good point in that there's subjectivity involved in the selection of any particular set of objective criteria to use, but that's the case even if the criteria are openly described like the PWR.

Date: May 07, 2013 09:52AM

phillysportsfan
That was the one semi-tough question asked on the ESPNU selection show. Its strength of schedule is No. 8, which is not bad. Its losses were by one goal each to UMass and Notre Dame (OT) and by three to Duke. It had three one-goal wins, over Fairfield 10-9, Princeton 16-15 and over Duke 18-17 in the ACC playoffs. They should not have lost to UMass or Fairfield. Maybe that had some impact.

Re: 2013 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament - lax insights
Date: May 07, 2013 10:39AM

To give you a better idea of how the 16 teams shake out in the 2013 NCAA lax tournament and who will win in the first round, chew on this, Quint: Selection Sunday Q&A, Reaction

QK
IL: Who is ripe to be upset?
QK: To answer that question, you've got to go watch practice all week and see who isn't mentally locked-in.

IL: How many of the 16 teams can really win the title?
QK: It would surprise me if Detroit, Towson and Bryant won the title.

IL: Who got snubbed?
QK: Bucknell has the strongest resume of the non-participants. ... Penn, Princeton and Drexel are the next best teams to be bypassed in 2013. Hopkins and Virginia will use May as a reflective month, soul searching for solutions. Both programs must evolve if they are going to maintain their status as the sports elite.
As my yoga instructor sister Kyle likes to remind me: "The moments between poses of breathing, thinking and peace are more important than the actual poses themselves."

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 07:46AM

Josh '99
Swampy
Josh '99
Towerroad
Josh '99
Chris '03
Rita
Kyle Rose
Josh '99
Trotsky
flyersgolf

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
phillysportsfan
RichH
billhoward
kingpin248
flyersgolf
Josh '99
towerroad
Trotsky

That's correct.

Well, you raise a good point in that there's subjectivity involved in the selection of any particular set of objective criteria to use, but that's the case even if the criteria are openly described like the PWR.

An "objective" criterion ought to be at least mimimally related to the purpose for which it is intended. Just because a selection criterion is definable does not mean it is objective. As a Yankees fan I do not want playoff slots determined by alphabetic order. (Age of the closer would be ok though)

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 11:30AM

Towerroad
An "objective" criterion ought to be at least mimimally related to the purpose for which it is intended. Just because a selection criterion is definable does not mean it is objective. As a Yankees fan I do not want playoff slots determined by alphabetic order. (Age of the closer would be ok though)
Stupid and irrational doesn't make something not objective.

Date: May 08, 2013 12:44PM

KeithK
Towerroad
Stupid and irrational doesn't make something not objective.

I beg to differ. Stupid and irrational are just that stupid and irrational. The root of the word objective is object. If the object to be considered is the winning of a tournament then objective criterion for selection should in some way relate to the probability of winning. A further constraint is that they should be clearly definable preferably well in advance of the actual application of the criterion.

Date: May 08, 2013 12:54PM

Objective does not mean "oriented towards the object." It means "corresponding to observed fact."

An objective criterion could be irrelevant to the object, and thus stupid or irrational, but it would still be objective.

Date: May 08, 2013 12:56PM

Trotsky
Objective does not mean "oriented towards the object." It means "corresponding to observed fact."

An objective criterion could be irrelevant to the object, and thus stupid or irrational, but it would still be objective.

I don't think you are being objective.

Date: May 08, 2013 03:39PM

Towerroad
Trotsky

I came in here for an argument

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: May 08, 2013 03:49PM

Trotsky
Towerroad
Trotsky

That's not allowed unless you've paid.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2013 11:23PM

Trotsky

But what is an "observed fact"? You're not still trying to get that doggie of empiricism to hunt are you? deadhorse

Facts are "theory laden," which calls into question the whole notion of "objectivity," at least if it's defined as "corresponding to observed fact."

Oh, and about correspondence theories of truth or meaning, well don't get me started.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2013 08:35PM

Laxmagazine.com pre-game article here: [laxmagazine.com]

Date: May 09, 2013 10:08PM

Al DeFlorio
Laxmagazine.com pre-game article here: [laxmagazine.com]
And thinks Cornell has the better team.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2013 12:34AM

Weder
Trotsky
Towerroad
Trotsky

Shut your festering gob, you twit.

Date: May 10, 2013 07:30AM

ugarte
Weder
Trotsky
Towerroad
Trotsky

Shut your festering gob, you twit.

You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!

Date: May 13, 2013 09:58AM

Next round:

5/18 12:30 ET: (3) Ohio State vs Cornell at College Park
5/18 03:00 ET: (1) Syracuse vs Yale at College Park
5/19 02:30 ET: (2) Notre Dame vs (7) Duke at Indianapolis
5/19 12:00 ET: (4) Denver vs (5) UNC at Indianapolis
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 10:02AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2013 12:12AM

This is one case when it's okay to root for Yaleyark

Posted by: JasonN95 (38.105.135.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 08:10AM

BearLover

Yes, although another win for Yale puts them dangerously close to fluke win of lacrosse national championship to go with hockey, at which point my head explodes.

Date: May 14, 2013 08:12AM

BearLover

So was last week.

Considering how the Ivy league got dissed by the seeding committee, I think I'd pretty much like to see a Cornell-Yale final. That'll show the bastards.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 11:37AM

JasonN95
BearLover

Yes, although another win for Yale puts them dangerously close to fluke win of lacrosse national championship to go with hockey, at which point my head explodes.

Yeah, this has been lurking in my mind as soon as Yale beat PSU.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 14, 2013 12:52PM

Inside Lacrosse article on Onondaga CC winning their fifth straight championship.

Here's the Syracuse.com article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 12:56PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 11:59PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
BearLover

So was last week.

So was the game against Harvard. wank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login