Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Harvard Lax

Posted by RichH 
Cornell @ Harvard Lax
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 01:39PM

Harvard's Lacrosse video is free today:

[client.stretchinternet.com]#

Re: Cornell @ Harvard Lax
Date: April 06, 2013 01:54PM

6-4 Harvard at the half. In the short time I've been watching, I've seen some very sloppy mistakes by CU, giving H the majority of possession time late in the 2nd. H scored twice in the last 1:30 of the half to take the lead. Noble had an easy clear on the man-down, but coughed it up, leading to the go-ahead score. Mock with 2, Pannell with 1.

Harvard leads the nation in having broadcasters who really don't seem to know much about the sport they are calling.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 01:55PM by RichH.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:01PM

H broadcaster calling Pannell's goal "SportsCenter Top 10 worthy" and then tried to describe it as "underhand, backhand...whatever you want to call it"

The video is the scoreboard feed, and there was an ad for the Harvard Varsity Golf tournament that showed various Harvard athletes golfing in their equipment. The Harvard hockey player was driving the golf cart.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:10PM

CU starts shooting on unsettled situations, Mock with 2 of 3 to start the 3rd, including a man-up, now 7-6 Red. CU seems to be struggling on the faceoffs.

Posted by: ugarte (38.96.141.---)
Date: April 06, 2013 02:18PM

9-7 Harvard, 5 min. left in 3Q. Cornell constantly defending EMOs and losing at the x since I started watching. Yikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 02:18PM by ugarte.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:24PM

10-7 Harvard after 3. Cornell not looking good.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:43PM

12-12, late in the 4th. Cornell settling down on both ends and tied it up. Cornell still getting dangerously chippy on D and ending up a man down.

Date: April 06, 2013 02:45PM

13-12, Cornell. 2:41 left. Cornell offense is starting to find the seams. Van Bourgondien with the last two, from the exact same spot.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 02:47PM

Not only has Cornell come back for a 14-12 lead late in the fourth, but Harvard video and Cornell audio are nearly in sync.

Re: Cornell @ Harvard Lax - Cornell 14-12 final
Date: April 06, 2013 02:51PM

Cornell outscores Crimson 6-2 in fourth, fights off 2 penalties last 2 minutes, to win 14-12. Phew.l

Date: April 06, 2013 02:54PM

Harvard audio wasn't bad. 14-12 final as Cornell dominated the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game.

I started watching in the second half and don't think I saw a single Cornell EMO (not a criticism of the officials; I didn't see anything that warranted a flag). I saw 6 or 7 for Harvard and this is also not a criticism of the officials. Some of the calls against Cornell were chintzy but the Red were playing rough.

Date: April 06, 2013 04:15PM

Rich, thanks for posting. I never thought Harvard would give away something of value.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 04:22PM

ugarte
Cornell still getting dangerously chippy on D and ending up a man down.
Clearly Schafer's fault.

Date: April 06, 2013 04:26PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Cornell still getting dangerously chippy on D and ending up a man down.
Clearly Schafer's fault.
Don't think I didn't think that. We know it isn't Schafer because the team won RIGHT GUYS

Posted by: tretiak (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 05:34PM

It took Cornell 3 quarters to figure out how to penetrate Krieger's Fort Kick-Ass.

SMOKE BOMB!

Posted by: Ken70 (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 09:21PM

Sitting in the stands we didn't look like a top 5 team for the first 50 minutes today.

Harvard outplayed us for 3 and 1/4 periods. They had more patience on offense and found good shooting situations consistently. Defensively they looked every bit as good. From the X we were just miserable.

Then we got serious,like we knew we could get it done in the waning minutes, so why work hard before? From about 9 to go we played like a number 2 team. Happens over and over again in college lacrosse.

One strange and uncomfortable moment was very early. "Beating his chest", an image usually only literally seen in grade B movies. But after a clever underhanded goal just a couple minutes in Pannell literally beat his chest in celebration of himself. It clearly wasn't a game defining moment for his team, but one just for him. It seemed very self absorbed, and unusually so.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2013 11:52PM

Ken70

One strange and uncomfortable moment was very early. "Beating his chest", an image usually only literally seen in grade B movies. But after a clever underhanded goal just a couple minutes in Pannell literally beat his chest in celebration of himself. It clearly wasn't a game defining moment for his team, but one just for him. It seemed very self absorbed, and unusually so.

Agreed.... but it was one heck of a goal, I will not hold that against a player who has always put the team ahead of himself. I'm just enjoying this ride and not in the mood to pee on my own team.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 05:55AM

Redscore
Ken70

Agreed.... but it was one heck of a goal, I will not hold that against a player who has always put the team ahead of himself. I'm just enjoying this ride and not in the mood to pee on my own team.
+1

Date: April 07, 2013 08:41AM

billhoward
Rich, thanks for posting. I never thought Harvard would give away something of value.

But if you wanted to see Cornell-Harvard softball, it would have cost you $5. Maybe Harvard knew the lax would bring in more of a broader following, so they dropped the pay wall to showcase Harvard.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 08:44AM by RichH.

Date: April 07, 2013 09:13AM

RichH
billhoward
But if you wanted to see Cornell-Harvard softball, it would have cost you $5. Maybe Harvard knew the lax would bring in more of a broader following, so they dropped the pay wall to showcase Harvard.
That is probably the reason. Maybe Harvard smelled upset. Maybe Harvard thought this sport only lasted 3 periods. Someday I'm going to write an article on the economics of pay-per-view college sports videos. Outside the B1G sports at the big schools, I bet it loses money and what little you bring it, the provider of the feed takes most of that small amount. The net benefit would be to make it free for all sports. The majority of people watching the softball feed were probably parents. Who are already in for fifty grand a year in tuition and fees.

Re: Cornell @ Harvard Lax - Pannell's amazing goal
Date: April 07, 2013 09:27AM

RichH
Go the archived (On Demand) videos section. Pick up the feed at about 22:30. (The video scrubbing is imprecise, so if you get to around 21:00, just watch until it comes up.) Fiore makes a save, Cornell clears to midfield. Pannell picks up the ball at midfield. Runs clockwise behind the net, comes front right, circles, turns, picks up defenders, turns some more, and shoots low, blind, and sort of not looking at the net. Not highlights-reel pretty because there's no fluid over-the-head arcing motion. If he's thumping his chest (as Ken70 notes), it feels more like one of those thank you, Lord or good to be alive moments more than dang, I'm good gestures.

This tied the score at 2-all. Harvard was impressed enough to run an instant replay of the shot, giving away time that could have gone to a still photo of the Crimson Golfer of the Week.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 09:57AM

billhoward
RichH
Go the archived (On Demand) videos section. Pick up the feed at about 22:30. (The video scrubbing is imprecise, so if you get to around 21:00, just watch until it comes up.) Fiore makes a save, Cornell clears to midfield. Pannell picks up the ball at midfield. Runs clockwise behind the net, comes front right, circles, turns, picks up defenders, turns some more, and shoots low, blind, and sort of not looking at the net. Not highlights-reel pretty because there's no fluid over-the-head arcing motion. If he's thumping his chest (as Ken70 notes), it feels more like one of those thank you, Lord or good to be alive moments more than dang, I'm good gestures.

This tied the score at 2-all. Harvard was impressed enough to run an instant replay of the shot, giving away time that could have gone to a still photo of the Crimson Golfer of the Week.

Pretty impressive.

Date: April 07, 2013 10:12AM

Towerroad
billhoward
RichH

Pretty impressive.
I hear Brown is adding this clip to the Yann Denis Rhymes With Hobey minisite.

Posted by: Robb (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 10:44AM

billhoward
RichH

I definitely saw no questionable chest thumping in that clip - he opens his arms to hug a teammate who is approaching, hugs all around, and then after the scrum breaks up, he uses both hands to underline where it says "Cornell" on his chest. Hardly gaudy self-promotion if you ask me.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 12:32PM

Robb
billhoward
RichH

I definitely saw no questionable chest thumping in that clip - he opens his arms to hug a teammate who is approaching, hugs all around, and then after the scrum breaks up, he uses both hands to underline where it says "Cornell" on his chest. Hardly gaudy self-promotion if you ask me.

I thought he had just motioned that he had ripped their hearts out.

Date: April 07, 2013 12:51PM

Robb
Just watched the clip and that's exactly what I saw. Much ado about nothing.

Date: April 07, 2013 01:28PM

Al DeFlorio
Robb
Just watched the clip and that's exactly what I saw. Much ado about nothing.
Well, it got me to spend 10 minutes finding the video and time-in rather than ask someone else to do it.

Re: Cornell @ Harvard Lax - other Ivy results
Date: April 07, 2013 01:49PM

About what you'd expect:

Cornell 14, Harvard 12 -- a little closer than I expected (hoped?)
Yale 7, Dartmouth 5 -- shouldn't have been so close
Penn 10, Brown 3 -- maybe should have been closer
Syracuse 13, Princeton 12 -- Syracuse scored the last 3 goals, at Princeton

Ivy records
Cornell      4-0 to play at Brown, Princeton @ Meadowlands in Ivies 
Princeton    2-1 to play at Dartmouth, Harvard, Cornell 
Penn         2-2 
Yale         2-2
Brown        1-2
Harvard      1-2
Dartmouth    0-3
Cornell beats Princeton, we host the Ivy tournament (unless Brown wins out, meaning we could lose out to Brown in the H2H, but then Princeton could be ahead of us too by winnng out). Too bad we don't have the bye weekend before Princeton not before Brown. I think those are the possibilities. Since we've beaten Penn and Yale, they can't beat us H2H.

For Cornell, first, Syracuse Wednesday on ESPNU. then a bye weekend.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 06:38PM

billhoward
About what you'd expect:

Ivy records
Penn         2-2 
Yale         2-2
Brown        1-2
Harvard      1-2
Dartmouth    0-3
Cornell beats Princeton, we host the Ivy tournament (unless Brown wins out, meaning we could lose out to Brown in the H2H, but then Princeton could be ahead of us too by winnng out). Too bad we don't have the bye weekend before Princeton not before Brown. I think those are the possibilities. Since we've beaten Penn and Yale, they can't beat us H2H.

Actually, Cornell clinches first place outright with a win over Princeton. I'm hardly an expert, but it seems like beating Brown still matters for at-large and seeding purposes regardless of the outcome of the Princeton game. Besides, if Princeton loses one other game a win over Brown clinches home field.

Date: April 07, 2013 06:46PM

Mock is now the leading goal scorer in Division I with 37, and in goals per game with 3.4.

Date: April 07, 2013 10:48PM

Tom Lento
billhoward
About what you'd expect:

Ivy records
Penn         2-2 
Yale         2-2
Brown        1-2
Harvard      1-2
Dartmouth    0-3

Actually, Cornell clinches first place outright with a win over Princeton. I'm hardly an expert, but it seems like beating Brown still matters for at-large and seeding purposes regardless of the outcome of the Princeton game. Besides, if Princeton loses one other game a win over Brown clinches home field.
If Brown wins the rest of its matches, then it would be 4-2 and one of the wins would have been over Cornell, making Cornell either 5-1 (if we beat Princeton) or 4-2 (lose to Brown and Princeton) and Brown at 4-2 would be ahead of us. So you're right that a win over Princeton makes us at worst 5-1 and the only one-Ivy-loss team, thus the Ivy champ and tournament host, as it should be.

This is rock, scissors, paper. Yale, Harvard, Penn, Princeton and Brown could possibly finish 4-2. We've beaten Yale, Penn and Harvard, haven't played Brown and Princeton. Princeton has beaten Brown, hasn't played Harvard (probably a tougher match than Cornell-Brown), nor winless Dartmouth.

Beating Syracause is going to matter for ranking and seeding, too. Maybe they'll try a 2-3 zone.

Regarding teams outside the Ivy League, #1 Maryland Friday got past 3-8 Navy 11-8 and #3 Denver needed 2 OT to beat Bellarmine. #4 Notre Dame beat 7-5 and unranked Providence 13-8. #5 Loyola beat unranked, 6-5 Fairfield 13-7. Nobody at the top looked unbeatable. We need a couple more of those 19-7 games. I could see us blowing out Brown ... and also not beating Brown.

Date: April 08, 2013 09:07PM

Hi def highlights here, with a good look at RP's no-look goal: [www.lax.com]

Date: April 09, 2013 12:41AM

Al DeFlorio
About 1:40 into the video. Here (this quality video) you can get a good look at the underhand shot going into the upper left corner. Just amazing.

Re: Cornell @ Harvard Lax - Pannell on his goal
Date: April 09, 2013 09:46AM

Rob Pannell (RP3), Twitter
Best goal of my career against the Crimson this past Saturday and here's a great video clip of it! #lucky

Lax.com headlines it, "Rob Pannell's Nasty No-Look Goal"

Date: April 09, 2013 10:46AM

Pannell's second goal was pretty wicked too. Deked his defender standing parallel to the pipe on the goalie's left, about 20 feet away, spun and fired a laser just above the ground into the bottom corner. Barely looked before firing. Goalie didn't have a chance.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 11:48AM

Al DeFlorio
That *is* a great goal. Also:
lax.com
In a game pinning two long standing Ivy League lacrosse rivals against one another, the Cornell Big Red lacrosse team traveled to Cambridge to take on the Harvard Crimson.
Don't you "pit" two rivals against one another, rather than "pin"?
/nitpick

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.90.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 12:51PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio
About 1:40 into the video. Here (this quality video) you can get a good look at the underhand shot going into the upper left corner. Just amazing.

Nice!!

banana

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 12:54PM

I cannot tell what he did. Even in slow-mo, it's just not clear. I need another angle.

Date: April 09, 2013 01:43PM

Kyle Rose
I cannot tell what he did. Even in slow-mo, it's just not clear. I need another angle.
Here's the full sequence:

Pannell runs out in front of the goal, then spins back, breaking toward the corner. When he gets to a 45 degree angle from the goalie's left, with his back to the goal and FACING away from the goal, with a defender on his shoulder he slams on the brakes. The defender skids past, maybe a half step. In one motion he turns toward the goal, pivoting with the basket held low, and whips the ball low-to-high over the goalie's right shoulder.

The sequence from when he turns toward the corner and the ball finds the back of the net takes about 2 seconds.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 09, 2013 02:13PM

ugarte
Kyle Rose

Pannell runs out in front of the goal, then spins back, breaking toward the corner. When he gets to a 45 degree angle from the goalie's left, with his back to the goal and FACING away from the goal, with a defender on his shoulder he slams on the brakes. The defender skids past, maybe a half step. In one motion he turns toward the goal, pivoting with the basket held low, and whips the ball low-to-high over the goalie's right shoulder.

The sequence from when he turns toward the corner and the ball finds the back of the net takes about 2 seconds.

You left out the part where he pounds his chest like the Hulk and then does the Gangnam Style dance on the grave of John Harvard himself.

Wait, that didn't happen? Pity.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 04:07PM

RichH
You left out the part where he pounds his chest like the Hulk and then does the Gangnam Style dance on the grave of John Harvard himself.

They should give him the Tewaaraton on the spot if he did that. Heck, the Hobey and the Heisman too.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 04:10PM

ugarte
Kyle Rose

Thank you. Though what really helped was clicking on "Youtube" to view it in a larger window. That made it quite clear. :-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 09, 2013 05:23PM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
Kyle Rose

Thank you. Though what really helped was clicking on "Youtube" to view it in a larger window. That made it quite clear. :-)

Take off those shades.

Date: April 09, 2013 05:28PM

Kyle Rose
ugarte
Kyle Rose

I should have gone tech support on you and asked "did you view it full screen" but I've been an antagonistic asshole on this forum a lot lately and I figured "why not a change of pace?"

Never again.

Posted by: Swampy (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 04:26AM

ugarte
Kyle Rose

It also appears he got the shot off an instant before he was doubled by a slide.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 10, 2013 09:30AM

Josh '99
RichH

They should give him the Tewaaraton on the spot if he did that. Heck, the Hobey and the Heisman too.
Dont forget the Nobel Prize, The Fields Medal, and a Pulitzer

Date: April 10, 2013 03:18PM

You're upset about Jay-Z leaving the Nets?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login