Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Olympics to drop wrestling

Posted by flyersgolf 
Olympics to drop wrestling
Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 04:11PM

[espn.go.com]

What a sham. Now lets see what they add.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 04:12PM by flyersgolf.

Re: Olympics to drop wrestling
Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: February 12, 2013 04:17PM

flyersgolf
[espn.go.com]

jet-ski twittering? javelin catching-texting?

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 12, 2013 04:23PM

Rita
flyersgolf
[espn.go.com]

jet-ski twittering? javelin catching-texting?

I think those are events in the post-modern pentathlon.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 04:59PM

I wouldn't mind wrestling being cut, but it makes no sense when you look at some of the events that are staying, like modern pentathlon, equestrian, table tennis, and synchronized swimming. If all those events were being cut in addition to wrestling, I wouldn't care, but as it is now, it's a dumb move.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 05:17PM

Meanwhile, the Winter Olympics has no difficulty adding events. Who's up for Luge Relay? Team Figure Skating? Ski Half Pipe? Mixed Biathlon Relay?

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 06:35PM

nyc94
Mixed Biathlon Relay?
Why are you picking on one of the best advances for gender equality in the Olympics, in an extremely physically and mentally taxing sport?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 07:13PM

jtn27
I wouldn't mind wrestling being cut, but it makes no sense when you look at some of the events that are staying, like modern pentathlon, equestrian, table tennis, and synchronized swimming. If all those events were being cut in addition to wrestling, I wouldn't care, but as it is now, it's a dumb move.

Equestrian, like wrestling, is also a founding sport for the Modern Games. They should all be permanently protected.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 07:31PM

Ben
nyc94
Mixed Biathlon Relay?
Why are you picking on one of the best advances for gender equality in the Olympics, in an extremely physically and mentally taxing sport?

Not sure if serious. If you are, I believe women already compete in the biathlon. Not sure what putting men and women on the same team accomplishes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 07:38PM by nyc94.

Posted by: Ben (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 07:39PM

nyc94
Ben
nyc94
Mixed Biathlon Relay?

Not sure if serious. If not, I believe women already compete in the biathlon. Not sure what putting men and women on the same team accomplishes.
The IBU has had a Women's World Cup since the early 1980s, and the Mixed Relay has been a regular event for the last seven seasons. Putting men and women in the same race bridges the divide between the two halves of the sport and ensures more exposure for the women's side, a bit like the Red-White game including both men's and women's teams.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2013 08:38PM

Trotsky
jtn27

Equestrian, like wrestling, is also a founding sport for the Modern Games. They should all be permanently protected.

Equestrian wasn't in the 1896 Olympics. It was in 1900 and then 1912-present. Other sports to debut in 1900 include tug of war, polo, and croquet.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 09:07PM

I put the chances of wrestling being dropped from the games at close to zero. Too many countries of disparate political orientations compete at the highest level. US, the former Eastern Bloc, the Middle East (Iran and Turkey in particular)...

This is a shakedown of the wrestling federation.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2013 09:42PM

There's the ribbon twirling gymnastics event that remains. The sport that will live forever is women's beach volleyball.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 12:30AM

billhoward
The sport that will live forever is women's beach volleyball.
It will be knocked out in 2050.

Posted by: ugarte (63.115.136.---)
Date: February 13, 2013 09:42AM

billhoward
There's the ribbon twirling gymnastics event that remains. The sport that will live forever is women's beach volleyball.
Rythmic gymnastics is part of the larger umbrella of "gymnastics" - it isn't up for debate. And, honestly, it is impressive as shit to watch but for the fact that the girls are so young that it feels creepy.

Date: February 13, 2013 10:15AM

ugarte
And, honestly, it is impressive as shit to watch but for the fact that the girls are so young that it feels creepy.

That window only get bigger. :(

Anyway, a lot of things are impressive but not Olympic events.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 10:31AM

Trotsky
ugarte
And, honestly, it is impressive as shit to watch but for the fact that the girls are so young that it feels creepy.

That window only get bigger. :(

Anyway, a lot of things are impressive but not Olympic events.

video: [www.youtube.com]
a) you are a freaking fountain of knowledge
b) this was how James Bond liked his martinis prepared

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 01:38PM

This is the one I'm backing - at least it is timed instead of judged.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.nmmlaw.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 11:38AM

ugarte
billhoward
Rythmic gymnastics is part of the larger umbrella of "gymnastics" - it isn't up for debate. And, honestly, it is impressive as shit to watch but for the fact that the girls are so young that it feels creepy.

It's boring as hell to watch and a joke. Frankly I think all gymnastics is questionable as a "sport". Anything that is 100% judged should not be in the Olympics. The Olympics should not be open to subjectivity. The 100m dash? Javelin? Any judges there?

Posted by: Weder (---.atlanta.hp.com)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:11PM

CUontheslopes
ugarte
billhoward

It's boring as hell to watch and a joke. Frankly I think all gymnastics is questionable as a "sport". Anything that is 100% judged should not be in the Olympics. The Olympics should not be open to subjectivity. The 100m dash? Javelin? Any judges there?

If you're going to eliminate subjectivity, there go all the team sports ... and the fighting sports ... and ...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 12:12PM by Weder.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:44PM

Weder
CUontheslopes
ugarte
billhoward

If you're going to eliminate subjectivity, there go all the team sports ... and the fighting sports ... and ...
I think there's a distinction between subjective determination of an objective question by an official (did the soccer ball go over the goal line? was player X tripped by player Y or did he fall on his own?) and subjective judgment of a subjective question (how pretty was that ribbon-twirling?).

Posted by: ugarte (63.115.136.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:51PM

Josh '99
Weder
CUontheslopes
ugarte
billhoward

I think there's a distinction between subjective determination of an objective question by an official (did the soccer ball go over the goal line? was player X tripped by player Y or did he fall on his own?) and subjective judgment of a subjective question (how pretty was that ribbon-twirling?).
Your unfamiliarity with the objective criteria of a judged sport /= the lack of objective criteria

Date: February 14, 2013 12:55PM

CUontheslopes
The Olympics should not be open to subjectivity.

Rudolf Carnap never got laid.

The Olympics is a celebration of athletic commitment and achievement. The human world is FAR bigger than mere mechanistic measures of space and time.

I'd prefer an Olympics that was entirely subjective to just another boring time trial.

Some sports lend themselves to "objective" measures. That's great -- the world needs ditch diggers too. But other sports are subjective, thankfully.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 12:57PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: css228 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: February 14, 2013 01:06PM

ugarte
Josh '99
Weder
CUontheslopes
ugarte
billhoward

Your unfamiliarity with the objective criteria of a judged sport /= the lack of objective criteria
Yes, track and field is full of judges. Lane judges, start judges, zone judges. Ever seen a team disqualified for a late handoff, or a 100 m guy dq'd for going out of their lane? Not to mention the photo judges that lead to the runoff that didn't happen at last year's US Olympic Trials.

Date: February 14, 2013 01:25PM

I think the point was that subjective judgment calls enforcing rules ("did he stray out of the lane?" ) are different from subjective judgment calls about aesthetics ("was that double Axel beautiful?" ). The former are about inexact measurement of quantities. The latter are about non-deterministic qualities that give some people agita.

Personally I defend the latter as of equal or even greater value, but they are different things.

As an aside, who decided quotation mark followed by a closed paren should be an emoticon? That's stupid. (Age, I realize this was not you. I am just howling at the wind.)
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 01:33PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 07:44PM

ugarte
I put the chances of wrestling being dropped from the games at close to zero. Too many countries of disparate political orientations compete at the highest level. US, the former Eastern Bloc, the Middle East (Iran and Turkey in particular)...

This is a shakedown of the wrestling federation.
Lets hope so, wrestling is an ancient elemental sport practiced around the world. If you took athletes from the ancient games and put them in the ring with modern athletes you would still have a contest regulated more or less by the same rules. This is shameful

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 11:37PM

Trotsky
I think the point was that subjective judgment calls enforcing rules ("did he stray out of the lane?" ) are different from subjective judgment calls about aesthetics ("was that double Axel beautiful?" ). The former are about inexact measurement of quantities. The latter are about non-deterministic qualities that give some people agita.

Personally I defend the latter as of equal or even greater value, but they are different things.

... snip ...

So would you be OK if hockey were judged by the aesthetics of the extra pass or the deke around the last defender rather than whether or not the puck actually crosses the line?

If this were in fact the case, Cornell would have to give back lots of hardware from the early Schafer. (Unless there's an aesthetic to clutch-and-grab.)

Date: February 15, 2013 08:30AM

Swampy
Trotsky

... snip ...

So would you be OK if hockey were judged by the aesthetics of the extra pass or the deke around the last defender rather than whether or not the puck actually crosses the line?

Nope. As I said in the other post, some sports are appropriately evaluated by objective criteria, some are not.

As I'm sure you understand, the larger rant is against the "what can not be measured is not important" fallacy that briefly (but damagingly) fooled people with its false profundity in the 20's through 50's. Thankfully, outside of a few last holdouts among naive engineers and crackpot economic cults, it died off in the late 20th century. Seeing it revived in the silly comment about "no subjectivity in the Olympics" above merely made it briefly relevant again, if only to refute and toss out.

All of which belonged on JSID, though, so, never mind.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 08:31AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 11:47AM

Trotsky
As I'm sure you understand, the larger rant is against the "what can not be measured is not important" fallacy
I don't think that's what Swampy is saying. I'm all for appreciating things that cannot be compared quantitatively... but competing for tenths of a point of beauty in the eyes of a judge is absurd: subjective, arbitrary, and pointless. The only sports whose outcome I care about are those with objective criteria determining their outcome. (And the closer they get to arbitrariness, like the unfathomable foul rules in squeakball, the less I give a crap about the outcome.)

That doesn't mean figure skating or gymnastics aren't fun to watch (I especially marvel at the strength of male gymnasts... how the F do they do some of that stuff?), but having a competition between them on the basis of a judge's opinion is dumb, so I frankly couldn't care less who "wins".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 11:48AM by Kyle Rose.

Date: February 15, 2013 12:36PM

Kyle Rose
That doesn't mean figure skating or gymnastics aren't fun to watch (I especially marvel at the strength of male gymnasts... how the F do they do some of that stuff?), but having a competition between them on the basis of a judge's opinion is dumb, so I frankly couldn't care less who "wins".

Interesting point. I would like to argue that the reason we have competitions in subjective activities is in large part because of the same illness -- the need to rank order and have an ultimate "winner" in everything. I don't know whether that's the rot of modernity or just the usual profit intrusion that can make a buck on the dullard denominator of TEH CHAMPINEZSHIP!!!1! (e.g., the replacement of the Bowl system with a national championship).

I'd like to argue that, but the Greeks (who had their heads on straight about this sort of thing) awarded prizes for the best tragedy in their competitions, and fuck knows how you do that, so it might just be that a rooting interest always spices things up. Either that or the Dionysian games were just an excuse for betting pools. "Take Sophocles and give the points."

So yeah, I'm sympathetic to your argument.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 12:38PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 15, 2013 01:24PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose

Interesting point. I would like to argue that the reason we have competitions in subjective activities is in large part because of the same illness -- the need to rank order and have an ultimate "winner" in everything. I don't know whether that's the rot of modernity or just the usual profit intrusion that can make a buck on the dullard denominator of TEH CHAMPINEZSHIP!!!1! (e.g., the replacement of the Bowl system with a national championship).

I'd like to argue that, but the Greeks (who had their heads on straight about this sort of thing) awarded prizes for the best tragedy in their competitions, and fuck knows how you do that, so it might just be that a rooting interest always spices things up. Either that or the Dionysian games were just an excuse for betting pools. "Take Sophocles and give the points."

So yeah, I'm sympathetic to your argument.

That bolded bit. Following the argument, some part of my psyche had a grain of the "Americans hate ties" thing, and that brings it into stronger focus. We can't just sit and appreciate the best performances in the world as long as there are medals to win. Then there's outrage at the suggestion of a slight against the emotional favorites. Ice Capades? Oh, that's fine to enjoy for the sport, because there's nothing shiny at *stake.*

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:27PM

Yet I'll counterpoint in a somewhat facile manner only to say that the world gets real annoying where there's no judgement and no discrimination. "And all the children are above average." That's how we end up with nationally-televised karaoke competitions, starving artist sales, and tweets during news broadcasts.

Sometimes I wish the "cultural Olympiad" still existed, with all its prizes for the best in art, music, etc. Though the predictable rage in America when Taylor Swift only won silver would just send me further off the high dive.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 15, 2013 10:31PM

Trotsky
Either that or the Dionysian games were just an excuse for betting pools.

Oh, I suspect they were an excuse for a great number of activities.

"I'd let you watch; I would invite you.
But the queens we use would not excite you."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2013 02:35AM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
Either that or the Dionysian games were just an excuse for betting pools.

Oh, I suspect they were an excuse for a great number of activities.

"I'd let you watch; I would invite you.
But the queens we use would not excite you."

One night in Ajax makes a hard man humble.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login