Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's basketball loses to Columbia

Posted by Ken711 
Men's basketball loses to Columbia
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 06:15PM

Losing 67-58 to Columbia playing at home isn't a great sign to start the Ivy season on. I'm starting to have doubts whether Coach Courtney is going to work out here as coach.

Re: Men's basketball loses to Columbia
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2013 08:58PM

Ken711
Losing 67-58 to Columbia playing at home isn't a great sign to start the Ivy season on. I'm starting to have doubts whether Coach Courtney is going to work out here as coach.

I have similar concerns, as the on-court strategy leaves you scratching your head. But in fairness I'd like to see how he does with a complete roster of his recruits, so I think the jury is still out.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hil-boscodt.bos.wayport.net)
Date: January 19, 2013 09:38PM

Program appears to be going nowhere.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2013 12:46PM

I've seen us twice on TV this year and have not been impressed. We had a poor second half. We didn't execute well on offense once Columbia took away our open 3-pointers. Defensively, we let Columbia's guards penetrate at will. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the season, unless we can bounce back and beat Columbia in New York next weekend.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr03.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 08:34AM

I've watched them a half dozen times or so and they really look more like a YMCA team than a cohesive D1 squad. I was hoping this would be the year Courtney's recruits asserted themselves, but they really haven't (aside from Miller). Whatever momentum the program had after 2010 is gone.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:54AM

mountainred
I've watched them a half dozen times or so and they really look more like a YMCA team than a cohesive D1 squad. I was hoping this would be the year Courtney's recruits asserted themselves, but they really haven't (aside from Miller). Whatever momentum the program had after 2010 is gone.

The 2010 season seems like a distant memory. Unless Cornell totally tanks the rest of the season, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get another season. But then, it will be time for Andy Noel to make a change if we aren't making any progress.

Posted by: mountainred (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 11:10AM

Ken711
mountainred

The 2010 season seems like a distant memory. Unless Cornell totally tanks the rest of the season, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get another season. But then, it will be time for Andy Noel to make a change if we aren't making any progress.

My guess is Bill gets his entire contract, however long that is. I don't think the school has fired its basketball coach since 1980, though Al Walker's resignation may have been close. Historically, all the school has demanded from its hoops team is not embarrass the university.

Date: January 21, 2013 07:07PM

mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

My guess is Bill gets his entire contract, however long that is. I don't think the school has fired its basketball coach since 1980, though Al Walker's resignation may have been close. Historically, all the school has demanded from its hoops team is not embarrass the university.

Question then is what is the length of his contract, 4 or 5 years?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 09:27PM

mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

Hoping this continues to be the standard. Jeez. One good run from what was a pretty lucky recruiting class and all of a sudden there are people who expect Cornell basketball to be better than meh. I'm grateful for the run but not expecting much in the future.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 10:09PM

ugarte
mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

Hoping this continues to be the standard. Jeez. One good run from what was a pretty lucky recruiting class and all of a sudden there are people who expect Cornell basketball to be better than meh. I'm grateful for the run but not expecting much in the future.
That's how people felt about hockey in 1963 and lacrosse in 1965. Then something happened that brought about a different future. No reason a sport has to be "meh" forever.

Posted by: mountainred (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 09:53AM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

That's how people felt about hockey in 1963 and lacrosse in 1965. Then something happened that brought about a different future. No reason a sport has to be "meh" forever.
I don't think "meh" should be the standard for any sport. The Sweet Sixteen isn't going to be repeated anytime soon, if ever, and certainly isn't a realistic standard for the program. I do think it is a shame that the momentum of that run has been lost and that we are struggling to stay out of the bottom 100 on Ken Pomeroy's ratings. Is a top 150 team, top half of D1, really too much to ask for?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 10:47AM

mountainred
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

I don't think "meh" should be the standard for any sport. The Sweet Sixteen isn't going to be repeated anytime soon, if ever, and certainly isn't a realistic standard for the program. I do think it is a shame that the momentum of that run has been lost and that we are struggling to stay out of the bottom 100 on Ken Pomeroy's ratings. Is a top 150 team, top half of D1, really too much to ask for?
Frankly, I'd be happy with a team that's competitive for the Ivy title. Losing badly at home to Columbia is not an indication of being "competitive."

Date: January 22, 2013 02:14PM

Al DeFlorio
mountainred
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

Frankly, I'd be happy with a team that's competitive for the Ivy title. Losing badly at home to Columbia is not an indication of being "competitive."

Well said Al.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 22, 2013 02:17PM

Al DeFlorio
mountainred
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
mountainred
Ken711
mountainred

Give me a reason to pay attention after February 15th (and I don't mean with an Ivy tournament). Everything else is gravy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login