Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

David Archer new head football coach

Posted by Ken711 
David Archer new head football coach
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 03:25PM

Per the report on Footballscoop.com and now official.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2013 10:48PM by Ken711.

Re: David Archer new head football caoch
Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: January 03, 2013 03:27PM

Wow.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 03:59PM

That's this David Archer, not this David Archer, in case your first move was to go to Wikipedia and then wonder why our new head coach was a guy who has never coached before.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 04:03PM

It's not this one, either.

Posted by: dag14 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 06:04PM

It is official: cornell athletics announcement Press conference tomorrow at 2.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 06:29PM

Not clear to me what all this "turnaround" hype is. The team won two Ivy games this year. As for his "recruiting success," I'd say he's attracted undersized linemen who can neither block nor tackle. I'm not blown away by this selection, I regret to say. Seems more driven by convenience than anything. Not sure why a blue-chip Ivy recruit would flock to him rather than Murphy at Harvard or Bagnoli at Penn. Sorry...that's my take.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 07:39PM

Surprised that's for sure. I hope he brings new experienced coordinators to run the offense and defense.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 08:33PM

maybe andy noel thought better of conducting a big-ass talent search a la kent austin in favor of keeping expectations nice and low (reasonable). sports are full of coaches saying they want to turn programs around, change teams' cultures (remember coach knowles's gimmickry?), but it's all grasping at straws in a zero sum game, because for every program that "turns around" for the better, another turns for the worst. as many people have mentioned, kent austin wasn't able to recruit the best players for his system. the team should have had much more success this year than they did given their offensive talent, and the pileup of injuries (which has to be in some way related to the coaching) didn't help.maybe he found the ivy league recruiting process to be too demanding of him. i don't really know.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2013 08:44PM

There's obviously a lot that we don't know.rolleyesI haven't heard about next year's class. One possibility is that there is a great class coming in and Andy felt it was important to keep those players attached to CU. However that doesn't mean he's head coach material.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 08:57PM

Jim Hyla
There's obviously a lot that we don't know.rolleyesI haven't heard about next year's class. One possibility is that there is a great class coming in and Andy felt it was important to keep those players attached to CU. However that doesn't mean he's head coach material.
Was reading a WWII novel about a unassuming looking new lieutenant. The dialog: "There's more to him than meets the eye." "That wouldn't be hard." Andy Noel's hires have been pretty good. Let's see how it pans out.

Date: January 03, 2013 10:13PM

I'm thinking he maybe Cornell will get lucky again promoting from within like they did with the lacrosse program. My only concern is any lack of experience as a coordinator. Given Condell and Austin left, I would expect he would at least bring in an experienced offensive coordinator. And given our last place in the Ivy League defense, I hope he replaces Dameron as well with an experienced defensive coordinator.

Date: January 04, 2013 11:06AM

billhoward
Andy Noel's hires have been pretty good. Let's see how it pans out.
True enough.

We are not really in a position to hire an experienced and successful coach and then expect, if he succeeds, that he will stay. Maybe this is an attempt to end the Coaching Churn. If nothing else a Cornellian isn't going to exhaust himself in a losing effort butting up against academic requirements for recruits.

And look on the bright side. The longer we suck at football, the more alumni support will realign behind hockey. :)

Date: January 04, 2013 01:39PM

Nothing wrong with youth if it's the right coach. Look at the Ned Harkness successors: Richie Moran arrived at 32, had an unbeaten lacrosse season at 33 (no tourney), NCAA title at 34, and three titles total by 40. Dick Bertrand arrived as hockey coach at 29 and had 2 NCAA title shots by age 33. An alumnus head coach is always good. Okay, so that was a while ago.

I really bought into the idea that Kent Austin was tired of big time football and the machinations of keeping players eligible and wanted to do something decent in the next act of his career, maybe be the Pete Caril of Ivy football.

Look at how quickly Princeton reloaded. They were in the same boat as Cornell 3-4 years ago.

Re: David Archer new head football coach
Date: January 04, 2013 01:54PM

I just hope he brings in some new strong coordinators. On offense, how about developing something of a running game for a change. On defense, having the linemen and linebackers be the leading tacklers in post-game stats, instead of the defensive backs. Lastly, although Archer is being praised as great recruiter, they really need to focus on recruiting better size linemen in future recruiting classes. Harvard recruits a 6'7" 310lb OT, and Cornell recruits a 6'4" 260 lb OT.

Date: January 04, 2013 02:03PM

Ken711
I just hope he brings in some new strong coordinators. On offense, how about developing something of a running game for a change. On defense, having the linemen and linebackers be the leading tacklers in post-game stats, instead of the defensive backs. Lastly, although Archer is being praised as great recruiter, they really need to focus on recruiting better size linemen in future recruiting classes. Harvard recruits a 6'7" 310lb OT, and Cornell recruits a 6'4" 260 lb OT.
Harvard linemen so big they *all* had to wear knee braces on the outside.

Date: January 04, 2013 02:16PM

Ken711
Harvard recruits a 6'7" 310lb OT
You can put on a lot of weight when you're spoon-fed and idle all your life. ;)

Date: January 04, 2013 02:19PM

billhoward
Not so much his football hires up to this point, though. Since he inherited Mangurian from Moore, he's hired Pendergast, Knowles, and Austin, none of whom have been what you'd call overwhelming successes. It'll be fun to root for one of our own guys to do well, at the very least.

Date: January 04, 2013 02:20PM

Trotsky
Ken711
Harvard recruits a 6'7" 310lb OT
You can put on a lot of weight when you're spoon-fed and idle all your life. ;)
You ever stop to think how hurtful this forum must be Harvard players and families?

Date: January 04, 2013 02:31PM

Josh '99
billhoward
Not so much his football hires up to this point, though. Since he inherited Mangurian from Moore, he's hired Pendergast, Knowles, and Austin, none of whom have been what you'd call overwhelming successes. It'll be fun to root for one of our own guys to do well, at the very least.
Knowles and Hofher were "our own guys." The latter was the ass who voted his team #1 in Division I-AA after a 6-0 start and then lost his last four games. After Cornell he was head coach at Buffalo where his teams went 8-49.

Date: January 04, 2013 02:55PM

Another trend happening in the Ivy League, transfers. Columbia is getting a transfer QB from Stanford, Brett Nottingham who was the 12th rated QB in the nation coming out of HS. Today I read that Yale is getting a transfer QB from Clemson. Penn and Harvard have had great success with some BCS school transfers. Even Cornell had a transfer from Maryland, DT Tom McHale who was a great player here back in the 1980's who went onto a pro career in the NFL as an OL. Now if we could just find an impact running back who wants to transfer to the Big Red...:-)

Date: January 04, 2013 03:39PM

Ken711
Another trend happening in the Ivy League, transfers. Columbia is getting a transfer QB from Stanford, Brett Nottingham who was the 12th rated QB in the nation coming out of HS. Today I read that Yale is getting a transfer QB from Clemson. Penn and Harvard have had great success with some BCS school transfers. Even Cornell had a transfer from Maryland, DT Tom McHale who was a great player here back in the 1980's who went onto a pro career in the NFL as an OL. Now if we could just find an impact running back who wants to transfer to the Big Red...:-)
Princeton picked up a transfer QB from Purdue a few years ago. Made him start freshman year all over to protect their nose-in-the-air "no transfers" policy.rolleyes

Date: January 04, 2013 03:48PM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
billhoward
Knowles and Hofher were "our own guys." The latter was the ass who voted his team #1 in Division I-AA after a 6-0 start and then lost his last four games. After Cornell he was head coach at Buffalo where his teams went 8-49.
I had forgotten that Knowles was a Cornell alum. Doesn't really speak to the broader point that Noel's football hires haven't panned out so far.

Date: January 04, 2013 03:55PM

Ken711
If we accept the (not-terribly-controversial) premise that Cornell's offensive line play wasn't great this past season, I would be inclined to speculate that Luke Hagy (528 rushing yards on 4.5 yards per carry and 513 receiving yards as a freshman) coud develop into an impact running back if Harvard and Penn defenders don't break all his bones before he has a chance.

Date: January 04, 2013 04:35PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
billhoward
I had forgotten that Knowles was a Cornell alum. Doesn't really speak to the broader point that Noel's football hires haven't panned out so far.
You'll get no argument from me on that.

Posted by: CornellChris (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2013 07:29PM

So it's finally happened... Cornell's new football coach graduated after I did. I'm officially old. Does this mean I have to stop being optimistic at the start of each season, and just assume we'll lose every game by 40? I've heard such good things about being a curmudgeon. :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 09:19PM

CornellChris
So it's finally happened... Cornell's new football coach graduated after I did. I'm officially old. Does this mean I have to stop being optimistic at the start of each season, and just assume we'll lose every game by 40? I've heard such good things about being a curmudgeon. :-)

Just wait until the players are too young to date your daughter.

Date: January 05, 2013 12:19PM

Trotsky
CornellChris

Just wait until the players are too young to date your daughter.

or granddaughter? Actually my daughter is old enough to date the players, but then I'm an anomaly.dementedIt keeps me thinking young, though.

For those who don't know, I'm a 67yo with an 18yo daughter.nut

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2013 02:28PM

Jim Hyla
You are either brave or crazy. Even the idea of having a 1-year old right now is exhausting.

Date: January 06, 2013 10:17AM

Trotsky
Jim Hyla
You are either brave or crazy. Even the idea of having a 1-year old right now is exhausting.

I'm not brave.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 11:10AM

Jim Hyla

MY father was the same age when he became a dad. When we were moving into Sage Hall as a January sophomore transfer student we ran into a guy who was moving in his daughter. He looked at my dad and said "Man, I'd hate to be 50 and doing this, right?" My very-young-looking dad smiled and agreed.

Date: January 07, 2013 11:11AM

Interested to see what assistants David Archer keeps. I hope he at the very least brings in new coordinators for the offense and defense.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.columbia.edu)
Date: January 07, 2013 11:56AM

Ken711
Interested to see what assistants David Archer keeps. I hope he at the very least brings in new coordinators for the offense and defense.

I'm guessing it's easier, professionally, to clean house if you're coming in as an outsider. Politics, loyalties, and personal relationships could conceivably tie his hands a little...or at least make him feel as if that's the case.

Date: January 07, 2013 12:58PM

imafrshmn
Ken711

I'm guessing it's easier, professionally, to clean house if you're coming in as an outsider. Politics, loyalties, and personal relationships could conceivably tie his hands a little...or at least make him feel as if that's the case.

I agree, that's why I'd have preferred an outside hire. I can see a few assistants staying on Burkett, Fenton, Hanna and perhaps DeStefano staying. But I wasn't impressed at all with the defensive play calling by Dameron, and of course the pass-happy offense needs a fresh "balanced" approach from a new coordinator.

Date: January 07, 2013 02:26PM

CornellChris
Another sad sign is seeing the first Playmate of the Month born after you were graduated. As is you had a chance with one of them before the age difference cropped up.

Posted by: Ken711 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 11:07AM

imafrshmn
Ken711

From Footballscoop:

Cornell: New head coach David Archer will not be retaining offensive coordinator Jeff Fela, defensive coordinator Kim Dameron or safeties coach Ron McCrone according to sources. We are also told there is a chance defensive line coach Pete DeStefano could move into an off the field role.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 12:48PM

Ken711
imafrshmn
Ken711

From Footballscoop:

Cornell: New head coach David Archer will not be retaining offensive coordinator Jeff Fela, defensive coordinator Kim Dameron or safeties coach Ron McCrone according to sources. We are also told there is a chance defensive line coach Pete DeStefano could move into an off the field role.
The Ithaca Jounal reports that Shane Hurd, head coach at Union-Endicott High School since 2005, will join the Archer staff in an unspecified capacity.

Hurd was elevated from offensive coordinator to U-E head coach in 2005, and proceeded to guide the Tigers to Section 4 championships five times. In his final season at U-E, the Tigers finished 9-2 and advanced to the Class A state semifinals.
WBNG says their source on Hurd's staff claims Hurd will be quarterbacks coach at Cornell.

Archer is a 2000 U-E alumnus. According to FindTheData, Hurd started working there in September 1999, so they overlapped one season.

Date: January 23, 2013 05:15PM

The word is Jared Backus the Princeton DC will be the new Associate HC at Cornell in addition his DC role. The OC is going to be Jason Houghtaling the OC at Wagner.

Date: January 23, 2013 05:22PM

Ken711
The word is Jared Backus the Princeton DC will be the new Associate HC at Cornell in addition his DC role. The OC is going to be Jason Houghtaling the OC at Wagner.
EXTREMELY cursory analysis: under Backus, Princeton allowed by far the most points in Ivy play in 2010, the second-most in 2011, and the second-fewest in 2012.

Date: January 23, 2013 05:28PM

Josh '99
Ken711
EXTREMELY cursory analysis: under Backus, Princeton allowed by far the most points in Ivy play in 2010, the second-most in 2011, and the second-fewest in 2012.

I think Backus is a great hire for Cornell. Princeton's defense certainly improved as they learned their new defensive system. Conversely, Cornell's defense was worse in Austin's 3rd year, dead last in the Ivy's. I really like the staff Dave Archer is putting together so far.

Date: January 29, 2013 02:57PM

Michael Neuberger who was the WR coach at Georgetown University will be joining the Cornell staff, I would assume he will again be coaching the WRs.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: December 07, 2023 11:47AM

Al DeFlorio
Not clear to me what all this "turnaround" hype is. The team won two Ivy games this year. As for his "recruiting success," I'd say he's attracted undersized linemen who can neither block nor tackle. I'm not blown away by this selection, I regret to say. Seems more driven by convenience than anything. Not sure why a blue-chip Ivy recruit would flock to him rather than Murphy at Harvard or Bagnoli at Penn. Sorry...that's my take.

Turns out no one flocked to him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login