Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Search for a new Cornell head football coach

Posted by Ken711 
Search for a new Cornell head football coach
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 05:19PM

With Kent Austin resigning to accept the GM/Head Coach roles with the Hamilton Tiger Cats, the search for a new head coach begins. Look for UVA Offensive Coordinator and Cornell grad Bill Lazor be one of those targeted.

Re: Search for a new Cornell head football coach
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2012 11:39PM

And he'd stay 3-4 years and move on like Hohfer and others. I'm getting tired of Cornell Football's habitual Rent-A-Coach approach.

Cornell had a chance to get Al Bagnoli, Penn's current 21 year, 8 outright Ivy Title coach when he was still a highly successful coach at Division 3 Union. Why not try the same approach? Maybe Larry Kehres from Mount Union - record of 317-24-3 and ten national championships in a no-scholarship division.

Maybe Jim Gagliardi from St. John's, Minnesota. He's an assistant for his father, who is retiring after about 6o years there, 4 national championships and 6 runners-up. He's apparently unhappy about the University conductiong a search for their next coach in spite of his strong support from the football alumni.

I'm sure there are others.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 12:16AM

Football has been one of the few major sports where Cornell hasn't found a head coach who's leading Cornell into the upper reaches of the Ivy League. Hockey, women's hockey, lacrosse, wrestling are all outstanding. Now soccer. I do like the idea of an outstanding D3 coach. Of course, it's easier to figure in hindsight which was the right D3 coach.

Cornell went 11-19 in Kent Austin's 3 years. What would it have been without Jeff Matthews?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 18, 2012 07:39AM

billhoward
Football has been one of the few major sports where Cornell hasn't found a head coach who's leading Cornell into the upper reaches of the Ivy League. Hockey, women's hockey, lacrosse, wrestling are all outstanding. Now soccer. I do like the idea of an outstanding D3 coach. Of course, it's easier to figure in hindsight which was the right D3 coach.

Cornell went 11-19 in Kent Austin's 3 years. What would it have been without Jeff Matthews?

Even uglier.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 09:40AM

We should give them a pass on Austin as far as the coaching carousel goes. It was obvious he wasn't going to be permanent, and Cornell was fine with that because they were hemorrhaging.

They aren't now. They're a weak program, but not ludicrously so, and they can afford to run the kind of search people have suggested: find the guy who believes in establishing a program and staying forever. That's a different personality than the ultra ambitious coaches who want to keep testing themselves by winning at a higher level.

I would think somebody who went to Cornell, or at least an Ivy, and understands and believes in the Ivy mission, would be preferable.

Date: December 18, 2012 10:58AM

Another early name in addition to Bill Lazor under consideration is former UNC Offensive Coordinator John Shoop I agree, a successful D3 or even D2 coach should also be in consideration if warranted.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 05:55PM

TimV
And he'd stay 3-4 years and move on like Hohfer and others. I'm getting tired of Cornell Football's habitual Rent-A-Coach approach.

Cornell had a chance to get Al Bagnoli, Penn's current 21 year, 8 outright Ivy Title coach when he was still a highly successful coach at Division 3 Union. Why not try the same approach? Maybe Larry Kehres from Mount Union - record of 317-24-3 and ten national championships in a no-scholarship division.

Maybe Jim Gagliardi from St. John's, Minnesota. He's an assistant for his father, who is retiring after about 6o years there, 4 national championships and 6 runners-up. He's apparently unhappy about the University conductiong a search for their next coach in spite of his strong support from the football alumni.

While the general sentiment is a good one, you might want to consider people who haven't planted roots someplace as your target. I'd be STUNNED if Gagliardi hasn't gotten better offers than Cornell in the past and you don't build a program around a post-retirement guy just whiling away the golden years. The Mount Union guy also clearly likes his small pond because he's a goddamn whale in that pond.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 12:27AM

ugarte
TimV

While the general sentiment is a good one, you might want to consider people who haven't planted roots someplace as your target. I'd be STUNNED if Gagliardi hasn't gotten better offers than Cornell in the past and you don't build a program around a post-retirement guy just whiling away the golden years. The Mount Union guy also clearly likes his small pond because he's a goddamn whale in that pond.

Wrong Gagliardi. The son, not the retired guy - we tried that before with Bob Blackman. Just want a guy who's been very successful at a school with academic chops and no scholarships. And a guy from Minnesota probably wouldn't find Ithaca too bad.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 12:12PM

Trotsky
I would think somebody who went to Cornell, or at least an Ivy, and understands and believes in the Ivy mission, would be preferable.

Are there any current assistants at the other Ivies who might deserve a shot at a head coaching job?

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 04:32PM

jtn27
Trotsky

Are there any current assistants at the other Ivies who might deserve a shot at a head coaching job?
Ya know, its not like Brown doesn't have a history of fairly sucessful football coaches coming out of their program.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 10:01PM

TimV
ugarte
TimV

Wrong Gagliardi. The son, not the retired guy - we tried that before with Bob Blackman. Just want a guy who's been very successful at a school with academic chops and no scholarships. And a guy from Minnesota probably wouldn't find Ithaca too bad.
Whoops. My bad. I skimmed. I'd take a guy who studied at the knee of Gagliardi pere.

Date: December 21, 2012 11:10PM

Word is that John Shoop interviewed on Tuesday.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 05:20AM

Ken711
[chapelboro.com]

Date: December 22, 2012 09:36AM

Al DeFlorio
Ken711
[chapelboro.com]

My concern with a young coach like Shoop is, would he commit long-term to building a championship program at Cornell, or would get frustrated/discouraged and want to return to coaching at a higher level which his prior experience was based on.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 04:03PM

Ken711
Al DeFlorio
Ken711
[chapelboro.com]

My concern with a young coach like Shoop is, would he commit long-term to building a championship program at Cornell, or would get frustrated/discouraged and want to return to coaching at a higher level which his prior experience was based on.
Agree. And will he be able to adjust to Ivy recruiting and financial aid restrictions.

I'm with Tim...a successful D-3 coach or an experienced Ivy assistant.

Date: December 22, 2012 05:24PM

Al DeFlorio
Ken711
Al DeFlorio
Ken711
[chapelboro.com]

Agree. And will he be able to adjust to Ivy recruiting and financial aid restrictions.

I'm with Tim...a successful D-3 coach or an experienced Ivy assistant.

Al, although there's no assurances, I'm pretty sure Andy Noel will be probing the commitment side from his interviews (after going through the Austin resignation), and hopefully, it will weigh more heavily on the final decision than just a flashy coaching resume.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2012 05:26PM by Ken711.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 09:38PM

Another discussion on the topic
[www.voy.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2012 09:38PM by David Harding.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 11:43PM

A poster on voy.com. Nothing wrong with this kind of environment:

>>> I think at Cornell (as with any Ivy) where there is a lot of academic pressure, players need to have some fun at practice and games.

Posted by: George64 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2013 11:43PM

Ken711
With Kent Austin resigning to accept the GM/Head Coach roles with the Hamilton Tiger Cats, the search for a new head coach begins. Look for UVA Offensive Coordinator and Cornell grad Bill Lazor be one of those targeted.
Bill Lazor reportedly leaving UVA to join Philadelphia Eagles staff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login