Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yale at Cornell Football

Posted by TimV 
Yale at Cornell Football
Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 01:07PM

Sunnier in Ithaca than Cape Cod, Al. WTF????

Re: Yale at Cornell Football
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 01:10PM

The game is on TV.. NBC Sports (nee Versus).

It looks like a lovely fall day in Ithaca. There was also rain in Miami this morning, but it is still hot, humid and gross.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:13PM

New pants are gray. Don't like em.

Posted by: CornellChris (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2012 01:19PM

Ugh. Field looks awful. I get that other sports use Schoellkopf, but clean it up when you're actually on national TV. All those extra lines make us look lke a glorified high school.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 22, 2012 01:27PM

Rita

First down lines and on-field graphics!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 01:29PM

TimV
Retro from the 30s, Tim. Wore gray during Tom Harp era. Gary Wood wore gray pants.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:31PM

Shane Savage still hurting.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:32PM

Yuh. The end of that era was actually the beginning of my era. After gary Wood and Pete Gogolak it was a very forgetable era. Maybe that's why I don't like em. They could go all the way back to my fathers era - paint the dome of the helmet white.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 01:34PM by TimV.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:33PM

CornellChris
Ugh. Field looks awful. I get that other sports use Schoellkopf, but clean it up when you're actually on national TV. All those extra lines make us look lke a glorified high school.

Except the lacrosse lines, right? THOSE are beautiful!;-)

Date: September 22, 2012 01:36PM

TimV
Yuh. The end of that era was actually the beginning of my era. After gary Wood and Pete Gogolak it was a very forgetable era. Maybe that's why I don't like em. They could go all the way back to my fathers era - paint the dome of the helmet white.
Sleeve stripes would have to be on the forearms.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:38PM

Actually I dont remember that the 38-40 teams had any stripes. I'll have to check the yearbooks.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:40PM

Also to complete the Tom Harp look the helmets would have to be plain white.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:42PM

TimV
Also to complete the Tom Harp look the helmets would have to be plain white.
And UCLA shoulder stripes.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:44PM

We have two starters wearing #6?

Date: September 22, 2012 01:56PM

Looks like we found a running back.

Date: September 22, 2012 01:59PM

Two guys, I guess. Ondash on O, Watson-Lewis on D

Date: September 22, 2012 02:00PM

Is Chat available? People will get tired of our BS.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2012 02:01PM

Awfully impressive start. Much better on both lines than against Fordham. Hagy played very little last week for some reason. Kid looks legit.

Date: September 22, 2012 02:06PM

All three Yale stops caused by dropped passes (two, admittedly, after hard hits).

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 22, 2012 02:07PM

Rita

Thanks for the heads up!

Crowd looks great.

Date: September 22, 2012 02:29PM

35-0. We this good, or Yale that bad?

Here's to some Davy-in-3 in the second half!

Date: September 22, 2012 02:43PM

I think we're that good. 2 TDs off turnovers, but D has shaped up, and there's no question about the O.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 03:09PM by TimV.

Date: September 22, 2012 02:49PM

TimV
I think we're that good. @ TDs off turnovers, but D has shaped up, and there's no question about the O.
And there's a running game...at last.banana

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2012 03:14PM

One concern is the place kicker is shaky. Could bite us in a close game

Date: September 22, 2012 03:19PM

Keecker? Keecker??? We don' need no steenkin keecker!

Date: September 22, 2012 04:09PM

Well, this Yale coach sure seems like a real jerk. Emptying his timeouts down 40 points with 40 seconds left.

Date: September 22, 2012 04:16PM

Sounds like Tampa Bay sending their guys against the Giants on the kneel-down play. "Just trying to change team culture. Would like to avoid another rout by Harvard this year."

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 08:48PM

TimV

I had the Harvard @ Brown game on (game 2 of NBC sports IVY League doubleheader) and what is the deal with Harvard's gold pants? No style points from me on those. ugh.

Date: September 22, 2012 09:36PM

Rita
TimV

I had the Harvard @ Brown game on (game 2 of NBC sports IVY League doubleheader) and what is the deal with Harvard's gold pants? No style points from me on those. ugh.
Harvard's been wearing those as long as I can remember...and that's a long time.bolt

Date: September 22, 2012 09:56PM

Rita
... what is the deal with Harvard's gold pants? No style points from me on those. ugh.

It's another attempt at throwback cool. Long ago, even before Al was a young boy, football pants were made of canvas and were a natural khaki color. Harvard wore tan pants at least since the 60's in a nod to those days. When shiny silky synthetics evolved, the canvas look disappeared.

Al had suggested our gray pants were a retro look back to the Tom Harp era of 1961-65. If they really wanted to replicate that look, the players would wear the jerseys from last year with the shoulder hoops, todays gray pants, plain white helmets, and the dour facial expressions of teams whose best season was 5-4.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 11:52PM

TimV
Rita
... what is the deal with Harvard's gold pants? No style points from me on those. ugh.

It's another attempt at throwback cool. Long ago, even before Al was a young boy, football pants were made of canvas and were a natural khaki color. Harvard wore tan pants at least since the 60's in a nod to those days. When shiny silky synthetics evolved, the canvas look disappeared.

Al had suggested our gray pants were a retro look back to the Tom Harp era of 1961-65. If they really wanted to replicate that look, the players would wear the jerseys from last year with the shoulder hoops, todays gray pants, plain white helmets, and the dour facial expressions of teams whose best season was 5-4.

And whose most exciting play was three yards and a cloud of dust. wank

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 01:02PM

Al DeFlorio
We have two starters wearing #6?
Though it still strikes me as odd, I've noticed it to be pretty commonplace in NCAA football, because of the size of the rosters. If you look at Cornell's current roster, there are (I counted) 105 players, so if every guy has to have a two-digit number then it's inevitable that there will be repetitions; as it is, there are multiple players wearing #s 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 22, 31, 46. I think it's less common for both players wearing a number to be starters; by and large they're players who are two or three class years apart, and the younger of the two players will, to make a vast unsupported generalization, tend not to get too much palying time.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 24, 2012 09:29PM

Josh '99
If you look at Cornell's current roster, there are (I counted) 105 players
What possible reason could there be for having 100+ players on the roster? Ridiculous. And we'e not even a scholarship school.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 24, 2012 10:29PM

KeithK
Josh '99
What possible reason could there be for having 100+ players on the roster? Ridiculous. And we'e not even a scholarship school.
You got me.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 11:14PM

It's only been, what, 55 years we've been waiting for an outright championship? A long way to go still. I for one want to be in Boston Oct. 6 for the Harvard game.

Date: September 25, 2012 06:21AM

billhoward
It's only been, what, 55 years we've been waiting for an outright championship? A long way to go still. I for one want to be in Boston Oct. 6 for the Harvard game.
I, too.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 08:15AM

KeithK
Josh '99

That's one of the reasons for having 100+ players. It doesn't cost them a lot, unlike the scholorship schools. If a stiudent wants to practice, knowing he will never go on road trips and never play in a game, what's wrong with that? It really is in the spirit of Ivy athletics, sport for the joy of it, knowing full well that you're not likely to make a living from it. I say the more the merrier.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 10:12AM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Josh '99

That's one of the reasons for having 100+ players. It doesn't cost them a lot, unlike the scholorship schools. If a stiudent wants to practice, knowing he will never go on road trips and never play in a game, what's wrong with that? It really is in the spirit of Ivy athletics, sport for the joy of it, knowing full well that you're not likely to make a living from it. I say the more the merrier.
Well because of Title IX it leads to them cutting roster spots in other sports (Like Track and Field and Cross Country) or not make other opportunities available to men at all (e.g. Fencing). And those are opportunities for kids to actually compete. Football doesn't need 100+ roster spots.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: September 26, 2012 10:25AM

css228
Jim Hyla
KeithK
Josh '99

Well because of Title IX it leads to them cutting roster spots in other sports (Like Track and Field and Cross Country) or not make other opportunities available to men at all (e.g. Fencing). And those are opportunities for kids to actually compete. Football doesn't need 100+ roster spots.

Is the JV team listed on the Varsity roster? Does Cornell still play JV? It's somewhat more reasonable if the roster includes both teams. Whether a jv team is reasonable is another conversation all together.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2012 10:22AM

css228
Jim Hyla
KeithK
Josh '99

That's true, but it brings up the question of what counts as a student athlete as far as Title IX. Does anyone know? I'd guess that in Ivy football the number of students goes up, and mostly down as the year progresses. Do they only count the number that are on the travel squads? At scholarship schools do all athletes travel, or does a smaller number travel, like the Ivies?

Date: September 27, 2012 12:27PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Josh '99

It does cost a little extra money in terms of equipment and such. But I was really railing about the overall culture in college football (80+ scholarships for a sport that dresses about half that).

Date: September 27, 2012 10:32PM

Jim Hyla
css228
Jim Hyla
KeithK
Josh '99

That's true, but it brings up the question of what counts as a student athlete as far as Title IX. Does anyone know? I'd guess that in Ivy football the number of students goes up, and mostly down as the year progresses. Do they only count the number that are on the travel squads? At scholarship schools do all athletes travel, or does a smaller number travel, like the Ivies?
Anyone who is on the official roster is counted for Title IX purposes. This includes a kid who only practices and never dresses except for at home games just as much as it includes a guy like Jeff Matthews. However, as we've found out, men can count as women's spots if they are on the practice squad of mostly female team under the same coaching (no that this is incredibly ethical, but Cornell does this with its mens club fencers. Many of them are on the Women's Fencing roster).

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2012 02:45PM

The team managers - still more women than men? - count also for Title IX?

Date: September 28, 2012 04:22PM

billhoward
The team managers - still more women than men? - count also for Title IX?
Not one hundred percent sure on them.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: September 30, 2012 11:15AM

css228
However, as we've found out, men can count as women's spots if they are on the practice squad of mostly female team under the same coaching (no that this is incredibly ethical, but Cornell does this with its mens club fencers. Many of them are on the Women's Fencing roster).
Considering that the law forced cancellation of the men's fencing team in the spirit of "equality" I don't have any problem with this.

Date: September 30, 2012 12:01PM

KeithK
css228
However, as we've found out, men can count as women's spots if they are on the practice squad of mostly female team under the same coaching (no that this is incredibly ethical, but Cornell does this with its mens club fencers. Many of them are on the Women's Fencing roster).
Considering that the law forced cancellation of the men's fencing team in the spirit of "equality" I don't have any problem with this.
The law didn't "force" the dropping of men's fencing. It forced equality of treatment for women in intercollegiate athletics. How Cornell chose to conform to that long-overdue law was the administration's decision.

Posted by: Robb (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2012 08:57AM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK
css228
The law didn't "force" the dropping of men's fencing. It forced equality of treatment for women in intercollegiate athletics. How Cornell chose to conform to that long-overdue law was the administration's decision.
Yep. He may be a hockey hero, but Laing Kennedy is on my permanent shit list. Thanks for nothing.

Date: October 04, 2012 02:57PM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK
css228
The current implementation of Title IX law basically requires this kind of decision, decisions which run counter to the idea of gender equity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login