Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harkness-Lacrosse-RPI

Posted by marty 
Harkness-Lacrosse-RPI
Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-10.myvzw.com)
Date: July 13, 2012 11:54AM

Dr. Martin Davis, better known for removing my tonsils, weighs in on the RPI team at the '48 Olympics:

Times Union

Re: Harkness-Lacrosse-RPI
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2012 06:56PM

Great article. Ned coached the same way 20 years later- conditioning, all movement, all the time. Thank God, he can't see me now.scared

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2012 03:45PM

I can't disagree with this:

Davis wants to add one thing: He and his living teammates wish RPI would induct the entire 1948 team into the school's athletic Hall of Fame. Maybe then future generations can tell the story of RPI's trip to the Olympics as well as he can.

Read more: [www.timesunion.com]

How many NCAA Div I teams win Olympic Gold?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.metro.volia.net)
Date: July 14, 2012 04:07PM

Jim Hyla

Davis wants to add one thing: He and his living teammates wish RPI would induct the entire 1948 team into the school's athletic Hall of Fame. Maybe then future generations can tell the story of RPI's trip to the Olympics as well as he can.

American college crews won every Olympic eight-oar with cox gold from 1920 through 1956 (three for Cal, two Yale, one each Navy and Washington).

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 03:28PM

Didn't realize lacrosse was a demonstration sport 60+ years ago. Sometimes that leads to it being an Olympic sport. But you can't have just 3-4 countries playing. Now the IOC also wants it to be telegenic and preferably not take up a lot of time. Beach volleyball was a gimme once the IOC saw what the uniforms looked like.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 09:18PM

billhoward
Didn't realize lacrosse was a demonstration sport 60+ years ago. Sometimes that leads to it being an Olympic sport. But you can't have just 3-4 countries playing.

That's what I don't understand about baseball & softball being taken away as an Olympic sport. Besides North America, it has a very strong presence in many latino countries as well as the Pacific rim countries. There have been major leaguers emerging from Australia as well.

Most recent news is detailed here: [sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 09:28PM

RichH
billhoward
Didn't realize lacrosse was a demonstration sport 60+ years ago. Sometimes that leads to it being an Olympic sport. But you can't have just 3-4 countries playing.

That's what I don't understand about baseball & softball being taken away as an Olympic sport. Besides North America, it has a very strong presence in many latino countries as well as the Pacific rim countries. There have been major leaguers emerging from Australia as well.

From what I heard, baseball got the axe because the IOC wanted pro players like in basketball and hockey, but the MLB isn't willing to take a break like the NHL. Softball got lumped in with baseball.

Edit: I just read that article and it basically says the same thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 09:30PM by jtn27.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 10:12PM

jtn27
RichH
billhoward

From what I heard, baseball got the axe because the IOC wanted pro players like in basketball and hockey, but the MLB isn't willing to take a break like the NHL. Softball got lumped in with baseball.

And that completely goes against the "olympic ideal" of amateur athletics that I grew up believing in. But, whatever, </MONEY>

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: July 23, 2012 03:51PM

RichH
jtn27
RichH
billhoward

And that completely goes against the "olympic ideal" of amateur athletics that I grew up believing in. But, whatever, </MONEY>
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Date: July 23, 2012 03:51PM

RichH
jtn27
RichH
billhoward

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 23, 2012 08:23PM

jtn27
From what I heard, baseball got the axe because the IOC wanted pro players like in basketball and hockey, but the MLB isn't willing to take a break like the NHL.
And thank God for that! It would be utterly ridiculous would it be for MLB to take two weeks off in the middl a pennant race for an international tournament. Especially for Sydney in 2000, when the games were in late September.

It kind of works in hockey because the regular seaosn has always been something of an afterthought.

Date: July 24, 2012 11:56AM

KeithK
jtn27
From what I heard, baseball got the axe because the IOC wanted pro players like in basketball and hockey, but the MLB isn't willing to take a break like the NHL.
And thank God for that! It would be utterly ridiculous would it be for MLB to take two weeks off in the middl a pennant race for an international tournament. Especially for Sydney in 2000, when the games were in late September.

It kind of works in hockey because the regular seaosn has always been something of an afterthought.

I think it might work to make baseball a winter Olympic sport so that it's in the offseason and the pros can participate like with basketball. Plus, it would mean an end to the WBC. The biggest problem would be infrastructure since it would require the construction of one or more indoor baseball stadiums in each host city.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 02:34PM

jtn27
KeithK
jtn27

I think it might work to make baseball a winter Olympic sport so that it's in the offseason and the pros can participate like with basketball. Plus, it would mean an end to the WBC. The biggest problem would be infrastructure since it would require the construction of one or more indoor baseball stadiums in each host city.
You want to play Olympic baseball in February indoors. I'm not sure this even merits a response.

Date: July 24, 2012 03:32PM

KeithK
jtn27
KeithK
jtn27

You want to play Olympic baseball in February indoors. I'm not sure this even merits a response.

Better than not playing at all.

Posted by: Robb (192.206.89.---)
Date: July 24, 2012 04:05PM

jtn27
KeithK
jtn27

Wait - Olympic baseball on skates? I'm liking the sound of this....

Date: July 24, 2012 04:05PM

jtn27
KeithK
jtn27
KeithK
jtn27

Better than not playing at all.
Yeah, we'd miss out on all of those Olympic baseball memories.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 12:53PM

Al DeFlorio
Jim Hyla

American college crews won every Olympic eight-oar with cox gold from 1920 through 1956 (three for Cal, two Yale, one each Navy and Washington).

Then perhaps the question should have been how many D-III schools have won Olympic Gold medals? (I realize that there were no NCAA divisions in 1948.) :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login