Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lax vs. Syracuse

Posted by RichH 
Lax vs. Syracuse
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 10, 2012 01:22PM

No mention of the win vs. Harvard on this forum. Syracuse is always a big game, and Cornell is going for the 700th all-time win for the program tonight.

[cornellbigred.com]
[www.theithacajournal.com]

Re: Lax vs. Syracuse
Posted by: Cornell95 (---.natick.army.mil)
Date: April 10, 2012 01:55PM

I have family in the area and I am positive they will be in attendance... unfortunately cheering for the Orange
(except my Mom... I am her favorite)

There is generally a monsoon whenever they play in Ithaca,but doesnt look like the forecast is too bad this year

Wont be able to catch the webcast in realtime
How quickly does Redcast get the replay up (assuming they can do that if they use the TW feed)?
Considering paying for the game and turning off the phone until I get home at 10pm and can watch the video

kdm3

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 08:27PM

Barry L just announced in the 3rd that "RedCast video is inoperable." Not exactly true. It went down during halftime, but I got it back in time for Lang's goal to start the 2nd half. Still working well for me. *knock on something*

7-4, Cornell leading 4:46 left in the 3rd.

Lang & Van Bourgundien with hat-tricks. Syracuse starting the 2nd half sloppily.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 08:33PM by RichH.

Posted by: tretiak (---.chem.ucsb.edu)
Date: April 10, 2012 08:39PM

Here's the link to the Inside Lacrosse in-game blog for those who aren't watching.

[games.insidelacrosse.com]

Re: Cornell 10 vs. Syracuse 6 4th
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 08:48PM

9-5 lead for Cornell with 10:00 to play in the 4th against an uncharacteristically weak Orange team.

[edit add] Cornell up 9-6 with 6:00 to play. No way Syracuse can make up a 3-goal deficit in 6 minutes. Barry Leonard says "Time is the enemy of Syracuse."

Phew, another Cornell goal. 10-6 Cornell with 5:26 to play.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2012 08:56PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 08:56PM

10-6, 5 mins to go. The weather looks miserable but it could just be Redcast filming through an old sock.

Re: Cornell 10 vs. Syracuse 6 4th
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 09:06PM

billhoward
Cornell up 9-6 with 6:00 to play. No way Syracuse can make up a 3-goal deficit in 6 minutes. Barry Leonard says "Time is the enemy of Syracuse."

9-6 leads over SU in the 4th make me queasy.

11-6 now. 2:25 to go.

Date: April 10, 2012 09:10PM

Trotsky
10-6, 5 mins to go. The weather looks miserable but it could just be Redcast filming through an old sock.
The green Fieldturf has the look of mom's overcooked peas. Ah, we were spoiled by RPI's video of the ECACs.

Re: Lax 12 vs. Syracuse 6 final
Date: April 10, 2012 09:12PM

Any victory over Syracuse is a good one. Great game in goal by Andrew West.

Is the guy on crutches on the sideline Rob Pannell and if so is that an improvement over being on a scooter? Let's hope.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 09:19PM

billhoward
Any victory over Syracuse is a good one.
Yes, although that was the worst Syracuse team I've ever seen.

Date: April 10, 2012 09:22PM

Trotsky
billhoward
There's bad and then there's miserable. Cornell took down Syracuse 21-3 in the 1970s, a decade before Syracuse got serious about the sport.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 09:33PM

Trotsky
billhoward

The 2007 Syracuse team was probably worse. And I don't have to remind everyone how good our 2007 team was. Better than the team that should've won a national title in 2009, despite finishing with that loss to Duke in the semis. And even that year, it took a great play from behind the net by Max to break a 15-15 tie.

This was a statement win, as winning games in this rivalry is never easy. It looked like Jordan Stevens got hurt towards the end, hopefully he's ok.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 10, 2012 10:14PM

Trotsky

This doesn't exclude the possibility of the old sock, but the weather was miserable. It drizzled on and off through out the game and I'm only just starting to regain feeling in my toes.

Date: April 10, 2012 11:06PM

Cornell Big Red sports story notes this is the third straight time Cornell has held the Orange under 10 goals. More impressive if it had been four straight.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2012 11:28PM

billhoward
Cornell Big Red sports story notes this is the third straight time Cornell has held the Orange under 10 goals. More impressive if it had been four straight.

Well, last year we beat them 11-6 in their worst loss since 2007. This year we beat them 12-6 in what was also their worst loss since 2007. So according to La Cross' transitivity theorem, Worst Loss Since 07 = (11-6) = 5 = (12-6) = 6, or 5=6. Subtracting five from both sides yields, 0=1. This is indeed very impressive.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 07:55AM

billhoward

Is the guy on crutches on the sideline Rob Pannell and if so is that an improvement over being on a scooter? Let's hope.

I originally thought so, too. (As did Dan Freshman in his article for Inside Lacrosse.)
But, unless I'm going blind (maybe?) Pannell was in a modified boot walking the sidelines.
He evidenced no obvious limp & was chatting up the other players throughout the game.
I think he even donned a helmet at one point to keep the rain/snow off?

Maybe back for the Brown game??

dribble

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 07:58AM

One thing you can count on Syracuse will get better. It's a great rivalry.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 11, 2012 09:18AM

Johnny 5
billhoward

I originally thought so, too. (As did Dan Freshman in his article for Inside Lacrosse.)
But, unless I'm going blind (maybe?) Pannell was in a modified boot walking the sidelines.
He evidenced no obvious limp & was chatting up the other players throughout the game.
I think he even donned a helmet at one point to keep the rain/snow off?

Maybe back for the Brown game??

dribble

Some chat on the Laxpower forum has Rob sitting out until the Princeton game or even sitting out the year and coming back next year. I think both are unlikely.

Assuming his foot is OK for the Brown game, the reason he might sit out until Princeton would be strategic. Coach Desko said 'Cuse had to prepare for Cornell with and without Pannell. Keeping an opponent guessing like this is a great advantage, but at this point Cornell can still sit Pannell and play with anyone. However, if his foot is OK by the Brown game (and he's gotten himself back into game shape), I'd play him ASAP for three reasons: it increases our chance of winning; he and the rest of the offense are going to have to get their timing & coordination back through actual game experience (and he has to acclimate himself to a team that's much more balanced than the one he last played with); and the poor guy has been sitting on the sidelines almost all season, so let's give him a chance to play.

As for coming back next year, Ivy rules make this unlikely. He was also the #1 pick in the MLL draft. Even with the lower salaries in lacrosse, how many players would pass this up? Finally, this year's team has already shown it's capable of playing and winning on Memorial Day, even without Rob. Remember, the one-goal OT loss to Virginia came while the team was still getting used to his absence. If he gets his groove back, we have an excellent chance of winning all the marbles. Next year's team may not be as strong, and you have to grab for the ring when you can.

burnout

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: April 11, 2012 12:29PM

I didn't see the player on crutches but I am guessing it is Matt Taylor who had surgery over spring break.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: April 11, 2012 12:35PM

Best all-around game since last year's rout of Brown. Great fun to read the Post-Standard article. Even more fun to read the teeth/gnashing comments after the article. Syracuse Post Standard

Those comments referenced this player problem I had not heard about.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2012 02:59PM

TimV
Best all-around game since last year's rout of Brown. Great fun to read the Post-Standard article. Even more fun to read the teeth/gnashing comments after the article. Syracuse Post Standard
Any day I can hear Syracuse fans complaining about their lacrosse team is a good day in my book.

Nice to see Tesoriero have such a good game (good enough that the Post-Standard led with it, even). He's better than Brown's guy and statistically an even match with Princeton's, so hopefully he can build some momentum through those two games and into the postseason.

Date: April 11, 2012 03:40PM

Josh '99
TimV
Any day I can hear Syracuse fans complaining about their lacrosse team is a good day in my book.

Nice to see Tesoriero have such a good game (good enough that the Post-Standard led with it, even). He's better than Brown's guy and statistically an even match with Princeton's, so hopefully he can build some momentum through those two games and into the postseason.

Yes, it was wonderful.
I brought along our local high school team's star players & felt in a way vindicated.
All we ever hear locally is SU, SU, SU; ad nauseum.
Too bad Rachacha Time Wiener broadcast a hockey game.
Oh, well.....it's on "tape" tonight at seven. Better late than never?

cheer

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 07:03PM

Ronald '09

The 2007 Syracuse team was probably worse.
That team may have had some issues, but it had a lot of talent: Mike Leveille (2008 Tewaaraton), Kenny Nims, Dan Hardy, Pat Perritt, Matt Abbott, Chris Daniello,

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2012 10:15PM

[twcs.tv]

That's not a direct link and I can't find one for it, but right now on that page you'll get the Time Warner Sports recap of the game with some highlights (you have to wait for a short local ad to finish before it starts).

update: this appears to be the direct link (you can order a DVD from them) - [twcs.tv]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2012 10:20PM by JasonN95.

Re: To make up for absence of win over Harvard post
Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 09:52AM

RichH
No mention of the win vs. Harvard on this forum.

Although this is long, it's very well done, with great music. It's also mis-titled Should be "Cornell beats Harvard...Again." If you don't want to watch it all, best part is at 7:32-8:39.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: April 14, 2012 12:36PM

Yikes. Just turned on ESPNU, and SU is leading Rutgers 18-3 with 4:30 left...in the THIRD. Ouch.

Date: April 15, 2012 07:37AM

Robb
Yikes. Just turned on ESPNU, and SU is leading Rutgers 18-3 with 4:30 left...in the THIRD. Ouch.

Coach Dikso is getting his "revenge"?

moon

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2012 09:09PM

Al DeFlorio
Ronald '09

The 2007 Syracuse team was probably worse.
That team may have had some issues, but it had a lot of talent: Mike Leveille (2008 Tewaaraton), Kenny Nims, Dan Hardy, Pat Perritt, Matt Abbott, Chris Daniello,

True...went on to win the next two national championships. Doesn't look like this year's Orange has as talented a young core to save them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login