Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell baseball no-hitter

Posted by dag14 
Cornell baseball no-hitter
Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2012 03:35PM

Sophomore pitcher Connor Kaufman threw a no-hitter against Dartmouth as the team won 2-0 Sunday afternoon. It is the first solo 7-inning no-hitter since the 1960's. Unfortunately, it was raining and cold so only a handful of fans were present to see it.

Re: Cornell baseball no-hitter
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2012 11:33AM

As opposed to the handful of fans who would have seen it if it was warm and sunny?

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-252-30.myvzw.com)
Date: April 29, 2012 05:57PM

Cornell won their division in unnecessarily dramatic fashion and will host Dartmouth for the Ivy League title best of three series May 5-6.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2012 05:57PM

nyc94
Cornell won their division in unnecessarily dramatic fashion and will host Dartmouth for the Ivy League title best of three series May 5-6.
Is there an Ivy autobid to the NCAAs?

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2012 06:20PM

Trotsky
nyc94

I believe so. If the Big Red do claim it, they'd have nearly a month off; the baseball championship doesn't start until June 1.

Date: April 29, 2012 06:36PM

kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

I believe so. If the Big Red do claim it, they'd have nearly a month off; the baseball championship doesn't start until June 1.
It would appear from the Ivy Baseball Record Book that the Ivy championship series winner does go to the NCAAs.

Cornell has been to the NCAAs only once, in 1977.

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: April 30, 2012 01:48PM

Trotsky
kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

It would appear from the Ivy Baseball Record Book that the Ivy championship series winner does go to the NCAAs.

The Ivy champ definitely gets a bid. The softball team has been more successful. They have gone to the tournament 5 times under the current coach and even have a win (over Long Beach State in 2004). There's a thread about that win somewhere on eLF.

Date: April 30, 2012 03:43PM

ugarte
Trotsky
kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

The Ivy champ definitely gets a bid. The softball team has been more successful. They have gone to the tournament 5 times under the current coach and even have a win (over Long Beach State in 2004). There's a thread about that win somewhere on eLF.
Also, I knew 1977 didn't sound right for the last title: Cornell won the Ivies in 2009 and they've won 7 Ivy tites overall. [en.wikipedia.org]

Edit: Wikipedia is wrong; Cornell lost in the Ivy playoff in 2009 and it appears that the pre-1977 Cornell titles were either shared (and Cornell lost in a playoff), predated the NCAA tournament or were years in which Cornell's conference, the EIBL (Ivies+Army and Navy), didn't get an automatic bid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 03:55PM by ugarte.

Date: April 30, 2012 03:57PM

ugarte
ugarte
Trotsky
kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

Also, I knew 1977 didn't sound right for the last title: Cornell won the Ivies in 2009 and they've won 7 Ivy tites overall. [en.wikipedia.org]

Edit: Wikipedia is wrong; Cornell lost in the Ivy playoff in 2009 and it appears that the pre-1977 Cornell titles were either shared (and Cornell lost in a playoff), predated the NCAA tournament or were years in which Cornell's conference, the EIBL (Ivies+Army and Navy), didn't get an automatic bid (or got an automatic bid to regional qualification).

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: April 30, 2012 04:01PM

ugarte
ugarte
ugarte
Trotsky
kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

Edit: Wikipedia is wrong; Cornell lost in the Ivy playoff in 2009 and it appears that the pre-1977 Cornell titles were either shared (and Cornell lost in a playoff), predated the NCAA tournament or were years in which Cornell's conference, the EIBL (Ivies+Army and Navy), didn't get an automatic bid (or got an automatic bid to regional qualification).

Oh dear, what is the world coming too if you can't believe what is written on Wikipedia? worry

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 30, 2012 04:20PM

ugarte
ugarte
Trotsky
kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

Edit: Wikipedia is wrong; Cornell lost in the Ivy playoff in 2009 and it appears that the pre-1977 Cornell titles were either shared (and Cornell lost in a playoff), predated the NCAA tournament or were years in which Cornell's conference, the EIBL (Ivies+Army and Navy), didn't get an automatic bid.

According to the Ivy Record Book Cornell was EIBL champion 5 times and Ivy Champion 4 times. They note "Beginning in 1956 if an EIBL Champion was not an Ivy school, the next highest Ivy finisher was considered to be the Ivy champion."

EIBL: 1939 (shared with Harvard), 1940, 1952
EIBL and Ivy: 1972 (shared with Harvard, Harvard won playoff), 1977 (shared with Columbia, Cornell won playoff for autobid),
Ivy only: 1979, 1982 (finished second to Navy both times)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2012 04:36PM by nyc94.

Date: April 30, 2012 04:33PM

nyc94
ugarte
ugarte
Trotsky
kingpin248
Trotsky
nyc94

According to the Ivy Record Book Cornell was EIBL champion 5 times and Ivy Champion 4 times. They note "Beginning in 1956 if an EIBL Champion was not an Ivy school, the next highest Ivy finisher was considered to be the Ivy champion."

EIBL: 1939 (shared with Harvard), 1940, 1952
EIBL and Ivy: 1972 (shared with Harvard), 1977 (shared with Columbia),
Ivy only: 1979, 1982 (finished second to Navy both times)
That was also my source.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2012 07:17PM

Rita
Oh dear, what is the world coming too if you can't believe what is written on Wikipedia? worry

Still one of my favorite Onion articles of all time:

[www.theonion.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 01, 2012 12:59AM

Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

I periodically go on the Harvard hockey and ECAC Hockey Wikipedia pages to make sure there are no errors. For instance, today I found that the ECAC Hockey page incorrectly listed Harvard's arena as Bright Hockey Center. I made sure to remedy this error.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 01, 2012 07:37PM

jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

I periodically go on the Harvard hockey and ECAC Hockey Wikipedia pages to make sure there are no errors. For instance, today I found that the ECAC Hockey page incorrectly listed Harvard's arena as Bright Hockey Center. I made sure to remedy this error.

Some jerk changed it back.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 01, 2012 10:10PM

French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

I'll wait a few months before fixing it again. No sense in doing it every day.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2012 10:24PM

jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

No sense in spending a weekend going to hockey games in Potsdam and Canton either, but we do it. That's what it means to be faithful.

Date: May 01, 2012 11:14PM

css228
jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

No sense in spending a weekend going to hockey games in Potsdam and Canton either, but we do it. That's what it means to be faithful.

If you want to go through all the Wikipedia pages that concern Harvard hockey every day to make sure it says "Lynah East" be my guest.

Date: May 02, 2012 10:13AM

French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

Typical. rolleyes

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 02, 2012 12:09PM

jtn27
css228
jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

If you want to go through all the Wikipedia pages that concern Harvard hockey every day to make sure it says "Lynah East" be my guest.

"All the Wikipedia pages"? How many pages can a team with 6 fans have?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 02, 2012 02:16PM

French Rage
jtn27
css228
jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

In my rather unscientific search, I've found Lynah East is mentioned (and often incorrectly named) on pages for ECAC Hockey, Harvard Crimson Hockey, Harvard University, Harvard Crimson, and its own page. There are probably a few others too.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: May 02, 2012 06:17PM

jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
css228
jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

In my rather unscientific search, I've found Lynah East is mentioned (and often incorrectly named) on pages for ECAC Hockey, Harvard Crimson Hockey, Harvard University, Harvard Crimson, and its own page. There are probably a few others too.

What about its predecessor, Beebe East?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 02, 2012 07:21PM

RichH
jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
css228
jtn27
French Rage
jtn27
Beeeej
Rita

[www.theonion.com]

What about its predecessor, Beebe East?

Are you sure that's not, Beeeebe East?

Date: May 05, 2012 12:39PM

Game 1 of the championship series is underway; Cornell leads 5-0 through two innings. Free stream here: [www.ustream.tv]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 02:01PM

Cornell baseball is now up 10-0 in game 1.

Things didn't go as well for the softball team. Somewhat apropos for the thread... the Penn pitcher threw a perfect game and Penn won 4-0 to advance to the championship series against Harvard.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-252-7.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2012 02:05PM

ugarte
Cornell baseball is now up 10-0 in game 1.

Things didn't go as well for the softball team. Somewhat apropos for the thread... the Penn pitcher threw a perfect game and Penn won 4-0 to advance to the championship series against Harvard.

11-3 top 8
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 02:15PM by nyc94.

Date: May 05, 2012 02:14PM

11-3, top 8.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2012 02:17PM

ugarte
11-3, top 8.
Now's the time for a "total runs" series.dribble

Date: May 05, 2012 02:30PM

And it's a final. Cornell wins 11-3. Game 2 will start at around 3pm. Same video stream.

Date: May 05, 2012 06:35PM

Lost game 2 0-7? Game 3 1:00 pm Sunday

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-252-14.myvzw.com)
Date: May 05, 2012 07:30PM

dag14
We just barely eked it out under the DeFlorio rules.

Date: May 05, 2012 07:59PM

dag14

Actually the final of game 2 was 7-1 (or 1-7 using your formatting).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 08:00PM by jtn27.

Date: May 05, 2012 08:02PM

ugarte
dag14
We just barely eked it out under the DeFlorio rules.
After last night, I'd take it.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2012 09:33PM

Of course we couldn't have gotten a sweep - that would be too easy.

Date: May 06, 2012 01:16PM

Game 3, 0-0 after 1.

Date: May 06, 2012 02:55PM

1-1 as we come up in bottom of the 8th

Date: May 06, 2012 03:36PM

CHRIS CRUZ!! 2 run home run!! Cornell wins 3-1 in 11 innings!!!

Date: May 06, 2012 03:38PM

In the bottom of the 11th, Chris Cruz blasts a 2-run HR to right field and Cornell wins 3-1. Cornell is headed to the NCAA tournament!

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 04:23PM

Great job by the baseball team getting back to the NCAAs. I was working for the Sports Information Office when we last were in the NCAA tournament back in 1977. We played in a regional in Middletown, CT, which also included St. John's, UConn, Temple and a few other schools. I believe we won our first game but lost our next two in the double-elimination tournament. Hopefully, we can do even better this time.

Date: May 06, 2012 04:45PM

The Cruz home run set a season record [12]. It was the perfect way to take the title.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.sub-174-252-2.myvzw.com)
Date: May 06, 2012 04:52PM

Good day for the Red. Cornell women win the outdoor Heps title.

Date: May 06, 2012 07:00PM

A few months ago if told that either the lacrosse team or the baseball team but not both would make the NCAA Tournament, I think everyone would have guessed the lacrosse team.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 08:22PM

jtn27
A few months ago if told that either the lacrosse team or the baseball team but not both would make the NCAA Tournament, I think everyone would have guessed the lacrosse team.

What crazy person would ever walk up and tell you that?

Date: May 06, 2012 08:45PM

dbilmes
Great job by the baseball team getting back to the NCAAs. I was working for the Sports Information Office when we last were in the NCAA tournament back in 1977. We played in a regional in Middletown, CT, which also included St. John's, UConn, Temple and a few other schools. I believe we won our first game but lost our next two in the double-elimination tournament. Hopefully, we can do even better this time.
When I was looking around for the information in an earlier post in this thread I saw that we went 2-2 in the regional. It would be a huge surprise if we did that well this trip but... I'm willing to be surprised.

Date: May 06, 2012 08:46PM

RichH
jtn27

Tiresias is running out of prophecies.

Date: May 07, 2012 08:32AM

ugarte
RichH
jtn27

Tiresias is running out of prophecies.
And genders.

Date: May 07, 2012 11:05AM

RichH
jtn27

It was one of the people that wander around the Ithaca Commons at 2 a.m.

Date: May 07, 2012 01:23PM

Anyone find a link to video of Cruz's home run? I've looked but haven't come up with anything.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 01:34PM

scoop85
Anyone find a link to video of Cruz's home run? I've looked but haven't come up with anything.

I can't watch the video at work to see if the footage actually contains the specific highlight, but here:

[www.wetmtv.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: May 07, 2012 02:04PM

RichH
scoop85

I can't watch the video at work to see if the footage actually contains the specific highlight, but here:

[www.wetmtv.com]

Thanks -- nice to see that.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 04:37PM

scoop85
RichH
scoop85

[www.wetmtv.com]

Thanks -- nice to see that.
What you can see of it. Man, a single camera from the baseline makes for a terrible view of the game.

Date: May 07, 2012 04:47PM

KeithK

What you can see of it. Man, a single camera from the baseline makes for a terrible view of the game.
Great place to sit if you're there in person, though.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 08, 2012 02:25PM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK

Well yeah. But in person I have peripheral vision.

Date: May 08, 2012 02:26PM

KeithK
Al DeFlorio
KeithK

Well yeah. But in person I have peripheral vision.

Only because you're not wearing a full cage.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2012 02:20PM

kingpin248
CHRIS CRUZ!! 2 run home run!! Cornell wins 3-1 in 11 innings!!!

A mildly inspiring note from Cornell's game report.

Cruz then left little doubt when he crushed a fastball over the wall in right, igniting the crowd as Dartmouth right fielder David Turnbull gave up his pursuit along the warning track. The only retrieval of this ball was by a young fan who later gave the ball back to Cruz.

Date: May 21, 2012 03:30PM

FYI, Regionals start on June 1.

Date: May 21, 2012 04:11PM

ugarte

Brackets will be unveiled Monday, May 28 at 12 noon EDT on ESPNU. 64 teams, 16 regionals, double elimination.

Date: May 21, 2012 04:48PM

nyc94
ugarte

Brackets will be unveiled Monday, May 28 at 12 noon EDT on ESPNU. 64 teams, 16 regionals, double elimination.
To get to Super Regionals. The 16 regional winners are paired off to play best-of-3 series with the 8 winners going to the actual CWS in Omaha.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2012 12:27PM

UNC's regional starts Friday

1. UNC
2. ECU
3. St Johns
4. Cornell
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2012 12:29PM by phillysportsfan.

Date: May 28, 2012 02:34PM

phillysportsfan
UNC's regional starts Friday

1. UNC
2. ECU
3. St Johns
4. Cornell
The last time Cornell was in the tournament we took a game off of St. John's. Also, we didn't advance out of the regional.

Date: May 31, 2012 08:36PM

Cornell-UNC was supposed to be tomorrow evening but, due to weather concerns, has been moved up to 50 minutes after the 11am ECU-St. John's game.

The linked article has links to free UNC video and free Cornell audio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 08:47PM by ugarte.

Date: June 01, 2012 01:57PM

ugarte
Cornell-UNC was supposed to be tomorrow evening but, due to weather concerns, has been moved up to 50 minutes after the 11am ECU-St. John's game.

St. John's just beat East Carolina 11-3. I imagine the Cornell game should start by 3 PM EDT.

Date: June 01, 2012 01:59PM

nyc94
ugarte

St. John's just beat East Carolina 11-3. I imagine the Cornell game should start by 3 PM EDT.

Date: June 01, 2012 02:02PM

Not to be too pessimistic, but what's the conventional wisdom on how badly we're going to get our asses handed to us?

- Steve Worona

Date: June 01, 2012 02:20PM

UNC is the #6 team in the nation and we are the 4th seed in our bracket so...

On the other hand, the pitching staff is the team's strength so if the starter is on his game we can keep it close and if we keep it close...

Here is the video link: [ulive.cbssports.com] No ellipses.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: June 01, 2012 02:50PM

the ncaa site still says 4pm anyone found it yet?

Date: June 01, 2012 02:53PM

The link I posted just started broadcasting.

Date: June 01, 2012 03:00PM

T1: 6-3, 3-1, K (Cornell goes down in order, no good swings, really.)
B1: 8, 3UA, Single, 6-3 (The flyout to center, the single and the groundout to end the inning were all hit well. The pitcher's been a bit wild.)
T2: ww*, K, single, 5-3 (Got a baserunner; the inning-ender was hit better than the single. First solid contact.)
B2: BB, single, E1 (bases loaded), 6 (INSANE DIVING CATCH!), RBI 6-4 (RBI), 3UA (UNC takes a 1-0 lead. Pitcher still wild. Lucky to be this close.)
T3: 8, E4 (bounced the throw, ball went into the dugout, runner on 2d), WW, 3 (The error was a tough play but a terrible throw.)
B3: D9, single, 5-3 (runner moves up), 4-3 (We may win because baseball is funny but UNC is clearly a better team.)
T4: K, Kc, 7 (Cruz caught a bad break; called out on ball 4)
B4: L3, WW, single, stolen base, RBI triple**, RBI single, single, RBI single**, RBI single, (pitching change), 3UA (The well-hit balls started to drop and KABLOOEY. Cornell is down 5-0.)
T5: WW, infield single, single, 8, single 9-2 (Great throw from the RF; play wasn't close.)
B5: E3, [a walk and three outs] (No runs scored; I was out of my office)
T6: single, 2-run HR!, (pitching change), (game suspended for expectation of severe weather)

OK, I'm probably not going to be able to pay attention anymore and won't know when the game resumes.

* Do you know your Phil Rizzuto trivia?
** Cruz dove and almost came down with these two but couldn't pull off what would have been great plays.

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 04:39PM by ugarte.

Date: June 01, 2012 04:39PM

Rain delay

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 05:07PM

ugarte
T1: 6-3, 3-1, K (Cornell goes down in order, no good swings, really.)
B1: 8, 3UA, Single, 6-3 (The flyout to center, the single and the groundout to end the inning were all hit well. The pitcher's been a bit wild.)
T2: ww*, K, single, 5-3 (Got a baserunner; the inning-ender was hit better than the single. First solid contact.)
B2: BB, single, E1 (bases loaded), 6 (INSANE DIVING CATCH!), RBI 6-4 (RBI), 3UA (UNC takes a 1-0 lead. Pitcher still wild. Lucky to be this close.)
T3: 8, E4 (bounced the throw, ball went into the dugout, runner on 2d), WW, 3 (The error was a tough play but a terrible throw.)
B3: D9, single, 5-3 (runner moves up), 4-3 (We may win because baseball is funny but UNC is clearly a better team.)
T4: K, Kc, 7 (Cruz caught a bad break; called out on ball 4)
B4: L3, WW, single, stolen base, RBI triple**, RBI single, single, RBI single**, RBI single, (pitching change), 3UA (The well-hit balls started to drop and KABLOOEY. Cornell is down 5-0.)
T5: WW, infield single, single, 8, single 9-2 (Great throw from the RF; play wasn't close.)
B5: E3, [a walk and three outs] (No runs scored; I was out of my office)
T6: single, 2-run HR!, (pitching change), (game suspended for expectation of severe weather)

OK, I'm probably not going to be able to pay attention anymore and won't know when the game resumes.

* Do you know your Phil Rizzuto trivia?
** Cruz dove and almost came down with these two but couldn't pull off what would have been great plays.

I actually remember hearing that live, and I've told the story while playing golf, when asked where someone else's shot landed.
This is not an exact quote, but close:
Healy (reading from Rizzuto's scorecard, explaining what a batter did in his previous at bats): ".... and he (pause) Scooter, what does WW mean?"
Rizzuto: "Wasn't watching"

Date: June 01, 2012 05:34PM

Through the first 5 innings we played great defense and had decent pitching, but for one 4-run inning. We didn't hit as effectively as UNC so they were not called upon to play great defense. They got great pitching but for one home run. Hence the 5-2 score. I just got a text from CU Athletics indicating they hope to resume at 5:45.

Date: June 01, 2012 06:01PM

dag14
Through the first 5 innings we played great defense and had decent pitching, but for one 4-run inning. We didn't hit as effectively as UNC so they were not called upon to play great defense. They got great pitching but for one home run. Hence the 5-2 score. I just got a text from CU Athletics indicating they hope to resume at 5:45.

5-3 now, bottom of the 6th coming up

Date: June 01, 2012 06:03PM

I dispute that we had great pitching. Our starter was wild, UNC had mostly hitters counts and was putting good "wood" on the ball all game. I can think of maybe two swinging strikes in the first 5 innings. I'm glad that we're coming back, though. Both teams are in the bullpen and our best pitcher is probably our closer. This is still a game.

Date: June 01, 2012 06:11PM

UNC starts the bottom of the 6th with three straight singles and take a 6-3 lead. Bleh. I'm going home.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 06:44PM

dag14
I just got a text from CU Athletics indicating they hope to resume at 5:45.

Is this something you can sign up for?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 01, 2012 06:54PM

jtn27
dag14
I just got a text from CU Athletics indicating they hope to resume at 5:45.

Is this something you can sign up for?

Just go to cornellbigred.com, multimedia tab, and click on text updates. Not that hard to find, but here's the link.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2012 07:08PM

really the difference in the game is plate discipline, cornell continues to swing at bad pithes in hitters counts and UNC is taking advantage of that to throw offspeed when behind in the count.

a couple of miscues by the infield, but all in all a pretty solid effort

Date: June 01, 2012 07:25PM

Sorry; I may not have been clear. UNC had the great pitching. Ours was "decent." In that our starter didn't completely suck. Our defense kept us in the game early, however. Now we need to win tomorrow.

Date: June 01, 2012 08:37PM

dag: I reread your post; you were clear I just read too quickly.

upprdeck
really the difference in the game is plate discipline, cornell continues to swing at bad pithes in hitters counts and UNC is taking advantage of that to throw offspeed when behind in the count.

a couple of miscues by the infield, but all in all a pretty solid effort

Fine line between "bad plate discipline" and "being overmatched." Johnson has a pretty, slow curve that he throws for strikes and that our guys didn't even seem to bother trying to swing at. Apparently he got promoted to the rotation after another starter got injured and he's been damn good. 6-1, WHIP of just under 1 and 63 Ks in 51.1 innings coming into today.

Anyway, the final score was 7-4, bad guys. The Cornell recap hasn't been posted, but here's the UNC recap. The ECU Pirates are up next, tomorrow at 1. No idea about free audio/video.

Out of curiosity I took a look at how the Ivy team represented itself in the Softball tournament and the answer was "not bad at all." Harvard went 2-2, with wins over Maryland and #23 Texas Tech. Both losses were to regional host and #16 seed Washington.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 08:51PM by ugarte.

Date: June 01, 2012 09:05PM

Cornell recap. Much more detailed.

Date: June 02, 2012 11:53AM

my point was more they had multiple chances with good counts and guys on base to do damage and then swung at bad pitches. we had enough hits but not that many solid ones. better pitching probably forced the guys into mistakes, but we only hit about 280 as a team so just to stay in the game was a big deal.

Date: June 02, 2012 11:55AM

redcast is free again today.. might also be on espn3 but UNC looks to be one of the regionals with little coverage,.

Date: June 02, 2012 02:08PM

Cornell leads ECU 4-2 after 4 innings. They batted around; runners advancing one base at a time to score 4 runs in the inning.

Posted by: ugarte (---.sub-174-255-112.myvzw.com)
Date: June 02, 2012 04:50PM

ECU wins 10-6.

Great season, Big Red. We'll get 'em next year.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2012 05:57PM

Bah. East Carolina isn't even a real place.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2012 12:37AM

ugarte
ECU wins 10-6.

Ah, crap. At the same time, doesn't this qualify as the shortest Cornell Athletics offseason ever? We made it to June this year.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2012 01:20AM

RichH
ugarte
ECU wins 10-6.

Ah, crap. At the same time, doesn't this qualify as the shortest Cornell Athletics offseason ever? We made it to June this year.
In baseball, yes.
But Cornell is always at the IRA in June, and sometimes at Henley even later.
This year, as happens occasionally, Cornell track stars have made it to the NCAA meet, which is next week. women men

Date: June 08, 2012 06:07PM

One final baseball note: UNC lost twice to St. Johns and didn't advance out of the regional that they hosted. St. John's just took an extra-innings lead against Arizona in the first game of the SuperRegional.

Meanwhile, Stony Brook, another surprise entrant in the SuperRegionals, is tied 4-4 with LSU in game 1 in a game delayed by rain.

This has been your Irrelevant New York-centric College Baseball Update.

Date: June 09, 2012 08:34PM

Another last baseball note: Brian Billigen has signed with the Diamondbacks. No details other than to say that he is very excited.

Date: June 11, 2012 01:06PM

St. John's lost that lead then lost Game 2.

Stony Brook, on the other hand, lost a crazy game one: blowing 9th, 10th and 11th inning leads on solo HRs before losing the game in the 12th. Stony Brook then dominated LSU in games 2 and 3 to move on to the CWS for the first time. Neat.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: June 11, 2012 02:32PM

ugarte
St. John's lost that lead then lost Game 2.

Stony Brook, on the other hand, lost a crazy game one: blowing 9th, 10th and 11th inning leads on solo HRs before losing the game in the 12th. Stony Brook then dominated LSU in games 2 and 3 to move on to the CWS for the first time. Neat.

I enjoyed watching Stony Brook taking it to LSU.

Good luck to them in Omaha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login