Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Kevin Boothe

Posted by Trotsky 
Kevin Boothe
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 08:40PM

It was a kick to hear "Cornell" during the lineup rundown on SNF tonight. Boothe (77) is the Giants' starting center (though listed as a guard on several sites).

Re: Kevin Boothe
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 08:58PM

Trotsky
It was a kick to hear "Cornell" during the lineup rundown on SNF tonight. Boothe (77) is the Giants' starting center (though listed as a guard on several sites).
He's an injury replacement at center. Guard is his best position. Though, honestly, he's not a very good NFL lineman.

That said, I still love to see Cornell in the lineup announcements too.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.nmmlaw.com)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:35AM

The coaches actually think he's quite a good NFL lineman. He's incredibly valuable because he can play all 5 positions. He has done so this year with little to no notice and done fairly well. Watching the game last night it was a bit painful to see him at center, though. As others have mentioned, his best fit is at guard.

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: December 12, 2011 03:09PM

ugarte might not, but the Giants seem to like him

WSJ article

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 12, 2011 03:25PM

peterg
ugarte might not, but the Giants seem to like him

WSJ article
I guess that isn't one of the many articles where a coaching staff says "our current starter isn't very good."

Posted by: Robb (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 04:57PM

He made a heads-up play late in the game last night, snapping when a Cowboy jumped offside even though Manning wasn't close to ready and the snap went over his head. My first thought was, "Man, Boothe does suck," but then they called the penalty and all was forgiven.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 12, 2011 06:23PM

CUontheslopes
The coaches actually think he's quite a good NFL lineman. He's incredibly valuable because he can play all 5 positions. He has done so this year with little to no notice and done fairly well. Watching the game last night it was a bit painful to see him at center, though. As others have mentioned, his best fit is at guard.
So he's essentially a utility guy. Not someone you ideally want as a starter but a valuable piece who can fill in wherever needed. He's not going to make the Pro-Bowl in that role but it's a pretty good way to make a living.

Posted by: CAS (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 08:27AM

I've met Kevin and he's a great guy, and a big supporter of the Cornell football team. Good lineman too!

Date: December 13, 2011 09:34AM

KeithK
CUontheslopes
So he's essentially a utility guy. Not someone you ideally want as a starter but a valuable piece who can fill in wherever needed. He's not going to make the Pro-Bowl in that role but it's a pretty good way to make a living.

No that's not what I said at all. He's smart enough and physically talented enough to play all 5 spots without notice. He would have started at G, except the Giants' O-line was ravaged by injury and they needed him to move around to different spots to fill in. No one else could do it, so he was too valuable to just start at G because he was a better back up at the other 4 line spots that than were the second string guys on the depth chart. That's pretty impressive. Pro Bowler, no, but he'd start on most teams.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 04:00PM

KeithK
CUontheslopes
More Renaissance lineman than backup. Does "utility infielder" smack more of backup than "so good you don't want him to start an any position just in case we need him at any position"? In the NFL the proof would be where his paycheck ranks among the offensive line.

Date: December 13, 2011 04:37PM

billhoward
KeithK
CUontheslopes
More Renaissance lineman than backup. Does "utility infielder" smack more of backup than "so good you don't want him to start an any position just in case we need him at any position"? In the NFL the proof would be where his paycheck ranks among the offensive line.
In 2010 he signed a 1 year contract for ~$1.2 million. Signing bonus of "candy on the receptionist's desk at his agent's office." He signed a new 2 year deal in July, terms undisclosed.

In other words, "veteran journeyman."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 05:49PM

ugarte
Signing bonus of "candy on the receptionist's desk at his agent's office."

Isn't that a Van Halen video?

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2011 08:14AM

NY Times reports Kevin will probably start at guard tomorrow vs the Jets, sliding over after playing center for several games. Truly a versatile lineman.

Posted by: sjact (---.sprjan.com)
Date: January 04, 2012 09:37AM

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 10:29AM

Most true fans are now quite thankful to have him on the team. Many, if not most, have been asking to move him back to center, because with Baas in there the run game has been terrible.

Date: January 04, 2012 02:03PM

Most true fans are now quite thankful to have him on the team. Many, if not most, have been asking to move him back to center, because with Baas in there the run game has been terrible.
And his jiggly butt.

Date: January 04, 2012 02:08PM

The Giants are last in the league in yards per carry. I don't care how many NYG executives sing Kevin Boothe's praises.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: January 05, 2012 07:47AM

ugarte
The Giants are last in the league in yards per carry. I don't care how many NYG executives sing Kevin Boothe's praises.

And you're implying that it's his fault? Everyone realizes that they have been terrible on the run, but the "NYG executives" implied that without his ability to fill in many different spots, things would have been a lot worse. And I'm sure Boothe cares a lot more about what the "executives" feel about him, than how you feel.:-}

Date: January 05, 2012 01:00PM

Jim Hyla
ugarte

And you're implying that it's his fault? Everyone realizes that they have been terrible on the run, but the "NYG executives" implied that without his ability to fill in many different spots, things would have been a lot worse. And I'm sure Boothe cares a lot more about what the "executives" feel about him, than how you feel.:-}
I'm not implying that the rushing numbers are his "fault" - I am STATING that he is part of the problem. If the Giants want to sing the praises of a patchwork line - or to thank the lunchbucket guy who is being forced to play out of his depth - they're free to do so. No reason ELF should swallow the bs just because he's an alum.

I expect he doesn't care about my opinion but I don't care that he doesn't care about my opinion.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:16PM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte

I'm not implying that the rushing numbers are his "fault" - I am STATING that he is part of the problem. If the Giants want to sing the praises of a patchwork line - or to thank the lunchbucket guy who is being forced to play out of his depth - they're free to do so. No reason ELF should swallow the bs just because he's an alum.

I expect he doesn't care about my opinion but I don't care that he doesn't care about my opinion.
It's so hard to evaluate offensive line play with any kind of quantitative precision that I'm personally more likely to believe a team official's comments about an OL than about another player. In Boothe's defense, I would point out:

1) Football Outsiders, which probably does the best publicly available analysis, does put the Giants' OL in the lower echelon in run blocking, but also points out that the team's running backs have done even worse than the line's play should have managed. The Eagles' line was only marginally better in this ranking, but have fared a lot better in public perception because LeSean McCoy had such a fantastic season. Put him behind the Giants' line and we're probably not even having the conversation. Compare this to last season, when the Giants' overall rushing performance outpaced their line yardage; I think you could conclude that Bradshaw and Jacobs took a pretty big step backward from last season.

2) From that same link (the first one), it should be pointed out that the Giants had the sixth-best pass-blocking line this year, and that Boothe deserves a share of the credit for that even as he deserves a share of the blame for the underwhelming run blocking.

3) Also from the same link, it's worth noting that the Giants did a bit better on runs to the left and middle (where Boothe has mainly played) than on runs to the right.

4) As far as I can tell from flipping through the official game books on NFL.com, Boothe wasn't flagged for a single penalty all season.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:33PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte

It's so hard to evaluate offensive line play with any kind of quantitative precision that I'm personally more likely to believe a team official's comments about an OL than about another player. In Boothe's defense, I would point out:

1) Football Outsiders, which probably does the best publicly available analysis, does put the Giants' OL in the lower echelon in run blocking, but also points out that the team's running backs have done even worse than the line's play should have managed. The Eagles' line was only marginally better in this ranking, but have fared a lot better in public perception because LeSean McCoy had such a fantastic season. Put him behind the Giants' line and we're probably not even having the conversation. Compare this to last season, when the Giants' overall rushing performance outpaced their line yardage; I think you could conclude that Bradshaw and Jacobs took a pretty big step backward from last season.

2) From that same link (the first one), it should be pointed out that the Giants had the sixth-best pass-blocking line this year, and that Boothe deserves a share of the credit for that even as he deserves a share of the blame for the underwhelming run blocking.

3) Also from the same link, it's worth noting that the Giants did a bit better on runs to the left and middle (where Boothe has mainly played) than on runs to the right.

4) As far as I can tell from flipping through the official game books on NFL.com, Boothe wasn't flagged for a single penalty all season.

Nice analysis Josh. I just hope you didn't jinx Boothe ;-). The pessimist in me is envisioning a hold penalty on a potential game winning drive. worry. The lack of a running game and inability of the Giants RBs to be able to consistently convert short yardage 3rd down plays has been very frustrating.

Date: January 05, 2012 05:38PM

Rita
Josh '99
ugarte
Jim Hyla
ugarte

Nice analysis Josh. I just hope you didn't jinx Boothe ;-). The pessimist in me is envisioning a hold penalty on a potential game winning drive. worry. The lack of a running game and inability of the Giants RBs to be able to consistently convert short yardage 3rd down plays has been very frustrating.
Very much so, though that's one flaw that I'm less likely to attribute to Boothe because the Giants have been crap at converting 3rd-and-short and 4th-and-short for years.

Posted by: BigRedBrouhaha (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 05:55PM

[espn.go.com]

Dan Graziano at espn seems to think that the Giants line got better once Diehl moved to left tackle and the "suprising" Boothe got in the mix.

Date: January 08, 2012 09:53PM

I was watching "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Live" so I didn't see the Giants game but from what I've read... good day for Boothe and the OL.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 10:27PM

ugarte
I was watching "Clifford the Big Red Dog: Live" so I didn't see the Giants game but from what I've read... good day for Boothe and the OL.

We found our running game banana. It was ATL that couldn't convert on short yardage situations. It fun seeing those shoes (cleats) on the falcons feet.

Did Clifford end in time for you to get home for "Tebow Time"? I'm not sure how he does it, but man, Tim Tebow...wtf....

Date: January 08, 2012 10:30PM

Rita
Did Clifford end in time for you to get home for "Tebow Time"? I'm not sure how he does it, but man, Tim Tebow...wtf....
I saw the first half then had to go out again. I got home right after the OT ended. On some Broncos board is a thread titled "Tebow is not the answer" and somebody posted "Ahem." as Demaryius Thomas crossed the 15.

Date: January 08, 2012 10:44PM

ugarte
Rita
I saw the first half then had to go out again. I got home right after the OT ended. On some Broncos board is a thread titled "Tebow is not the answer" and somebody posted "Ahem." as Demaryius Thomas crossed the 15.

I didn't know that "Cop at Lynah" followed the Broncos too. bolt

Date: January 09, 2012 11:34AM

Well, I haven't jinxed it YET anyway... everyone on the Giants' offensive line took a holding penalty yesterday except for Boothe.

Date: January 09, 2012 09:07PM

Josh '99
Well, I haven't jinxed it YET anyway... everyone on the Giants' offensive line took a holding penalty yesterday except for Boothe.

I heard an interesting and surprising stat on Sirius NFL radio today. In this weekend's game there were 6 offensive holding penalties called and 5 of them were against the giants. I hope in Green Bay we get one of the crews that turned a blind eye to offensive holding.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:12PM

ugarte

That's what DVRs are for. Best invention ever.

Date: January 12, 2012 11:19AM

jtn27
ugarte

As someone who DVRs live sports on a fairly regular basis, I can confidently say that it's a pain in the ass to avoid being spoiled even when it's something that not a lot of people pay attention to, because you have to make sure that anybody who knows you might be interested in a given result also knows not to tell you what happened. For a local NFL team's playoff game? Almost impossible to avoid it. What are the odds that ugarte didn't see someone in a Giants jersey looking celebratory on his way home from Clifford? I'd guess pretty slim. Which isn't to say he couldn't watch it anyway, of course, but sporting events are much less gripping viewing when you already know what's going to happen.

Date: January 12, 2012 02:40PM

Josh '99
jtn27
ugarte

As someone who DVRs live sports on a fairly regular basis, I can confidently say that it's a pain in the ass to avoid being spoiled even when it's something that not a lot of people pay attention to, because you have to make sure that anybody who knows you might be interested in a given result also knows not to tell you what happened. For a local NFL team's playoff game? Almost impossible to avoid it. What are the odds that ugarte didn't see someone in a Giants jersey looking celebratory on his way home from Clifford? I'd guess pretty slim. Which isn't to say he couldn't watch it anyway, of course, but sporting events are much less gripping viewing when you already know what's going to happen.
I'm pretty good about avoiding information when I need to but the Giants game wasn't a priority for me. I'm DVRing the Saints on Saturday; if I get spoiled someone will pay dearly.

Date: January 12, 2012 02:44PM

ugarte
Josh '99
jtn27
ugarte

I'm pretty good about avoiding information when I need to but the Giants game wasn't a priority for me. I'm DVRing the Saints on Saturday; if I get spoiled someone will pay dearly.

You might want to stay out of the hockey chatroom on Saturday night then. Football chatter tends to spill over into the hockey banter.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2012 05:25PM

Rita
ugarte

You might want to stay out of the hockey chatroom on Saturday night then. Football chatter tends to spill over into the hockey banter.

This is ugarte we're talking about. He's as devoted a Cornell hockey fan as I know, but if he gets home at 7pm on Saturday, I expect he'll head straight for the Saints on DVR and check his CHN app for the hockey score during commercials.

If it were next Saturday, and it was a choice between the Saints on DVR or following the Harvard game live, I might not be so sure.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 12, 2012 05:30PM

Beeeej
Rita
ugarte

This is ugarte we're talking about. He's as devoted a Cornell hockey fan as I know, but if he gets home at 7pm on Saturday, I expect he'll head straight for the Saints on DVR and check his CHN app for the hockey score during commercials.

If it were next Saturday, and it was a choice between the Saints on DVR or following the Harvard game live, I might not be so sure.

I just didn't want to accidently be a spoiler and have to be checking my back and surroundings more than I already do in Miami. ;-)

Date: January 12, 2012 06:00PM

Rita
Beeeej
Rita
ugarte

I just didn't want to accidently be a spoiler and have to be checking my back and surroundings more than I already do in Miami. ;-)
Let's be clear: I turn on the Saints game on DVR and then erect a cone of silence. No news, twitter, texts, email, contact with the outside world until fast-forwarding through commercials and in between hohum plays catches me up to live action. I love Cornell hockey but I was a Saints fan for over a decade before college. And this is the playoffs.

This weekend, I'm not watching the Saints live because despite my devotion to the Saints, I remain a dad. Since I can't fob off the kid on my working wife (women's lib: ptui!) I'm bringing him to his first basketball game: FDU at St. Francis (where I pray they don't give football score updates) to write about it for the Mid-Majority's 800 Games Project. Having to only half-watch the game while I corral my kid is going to be the point of the article. I don't half-watch playoff football.

Date: January 13, 2012 01:59PM

ugarte
Let's be clear: I turn on the Saints game on DVR and then erect a cone of silence. No news, twitter, texts, email, contact with the outside world until fast-forwarding through commercials and in between hohum plays catches me up to live action. I love Cornell hockey but I was a Saints fan for over a decade before college. And this is the playoffs.
I applaud the thoroughness of your plan.

Date: January 13, 2012 07:25PM

Josh '99

Kareem McKenzie was on Sirius/XM's Moving the Chains today. In discussing the giant's o-line, hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan had some nice praise for Boothe's line play and his versatility (though no compliments on his physique).

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: January 21, 2012 01:46PM

This video is somewhat interesting. It's four Giants beat writers/media people, two of whom are Cornell alums, discussing how important Boothe has been to the team this year. It's a twenty minute video, but the part about Boothe is only the first 3 or 4 minutes.

[www.giants.com]

Date: January 23, 2012 02:35PM

Also here:

[espn.go.com]

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere. If so, my apologies.

Re: Kevin Boothe - Cornellian Super Bowl winners
Date: January 23, 2012 03:39PM

Probably asked and answered previously, but how many Cornellians have Super Bowl rings?

George Seifert was a less the successful football coach at Cornell but he got rings coaching the 49ers. Kevin Booth was with the Giants in 2008, so he has one and is working on a second. Ed Marinaro and the Vikings were always bridesmaids in the Super Bowl (SB 7 and 9).

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 03:45PM

billhoward
Probably asked and answered previously, but how many Cornellians have Super Bowl rings?

George Seifert was a less the successful football coach at Cornell but he got rings coaching the 49ers. Kevin Booth was with the Giants in 2008, so he has one and is working on a second. Ed Marinaro and the Vikings were always bridesmaids in the Super Bowl (SB 7 and 9).

I believe Derrick Harmon has one with the 49ers.

edit: You didn't limit the question to players so there must be an executive, assistant coach, doctor, or towel boy that attended Cornell and has a Super Bowl ring.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 03:49PM by nyc94.

Date: January 23, 2012 03:49PM

billhoward

I don't think Seifert counts as a Cornellian. Derrick Harmon, on the other hand, was on the 49ers when they won in the 1984 season (Jan. 1985). Most Cornell alumni who played in the NFL did so before the SuperBowl era, so I think he's actually the only one besides Boothe who has a SuperBowl ring.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 23, 2012 04:30PM

Well, sure. Most Cornell football was played in the pre-Super Bowl era. There is a glimmer of hope now with Kent Austin.

Date: January 23, 2012 04:33PM

billhoward
Well, sure. Most Cornell football was played in the pre-Super Bowl era. There is a glimmer of hope now with Kent Austin.

...that most Cornell football will henceforth be played in the SuperBowl era?

I don't think we needed to hire Kent Austin to make that happen.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 06:07PM

billhoward
Cornell still plays football? Who knew?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 09:54PM

Ithaca Journal has a piece on Kevin with praise from teammates. Also:

Any questions about his demeanor and his willingness to do anything asked of him were answered in the following exchange:

"Do you have a favorite position?"

"No; wherever my next position is going to be."

"Do you know where your skill set is best?"

"No; wherever the coaches put me, I guess."

"Do you think you would like to try wide receiver?"

"I don't think that would be in our best interest."

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 03:46PM

Boothe was one of 4 Giants featured in a short article in today's WSJ, Smaller Stars Shine in Giants' Galaxy. Kudos to the writer for highlighting Boothe's intelligence on the football field without employing the usual "He's an Ivy Leaguer!" crutch.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 05:49PM

Jordan 04
Boothe was one of 4 Giants featured in a short article in today's WSJ, Smaller Stars Shine in Giants' Galaxy. Kudos to the writer for highlighting Boothe's intelligence on the football field without employing the usual "He's an Ivy Leaguer!" crutch.

...and here in the NY Daily News: [www.nydailynews.com]

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2012 06:11PM

I'm really happy for Kevin Boothe, just love players like that who do whatever it takes.... Having said that, Go Pats but I hope Boothe has a good game.

Date: January 29, 2012 09:27PM

Redscore
I'm really happy for Kevin Boothe, just love players like that who do whatever it takes.... Having said that, Go Pats but I hope Boothe has a good game.
Looking forward to the game, too - two of my favorite teams. Grudge rematch is a good angle but so too would be having a team from each coast. Much of America can't stand either team even as the Bill Belichick wardrobe for many represents aspirational attire.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: January 29, 2012 09:45PM

billhoward
Redscore
Looking forward to the game, too - two of my favorite teams. Grudge rematch is a good angle but so too would be having a team from each coast. Much of America can't stand either team even as the Bill Belichick wardrobe for many represents aspirational attire.
Forgive my ignorance, but besides people from Washington, Philly, and Dallas....who hates the Giants?

Date: January 29, 2012 09:59PM

Ben
billhoward
Redscore
Forgive my ignorance, but besides people from Washington, Philly, and Dallas....who hates the Giants?
This is the New York Giants.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: January 29, 2012 11:00PM

billhoward
Ben
billhoward
Redscore
This is the New York Giants.
I wasn't aware that we had jumped back to 1928...

Date: January 31, 2012 10:44AM

I'll eat a little bit of crow. The resident OL expert at FO likes Boothe as a pass-blocker but says he doesn't get any push on the run. That's better than I gave him credit for. A lot, actually, because the last time I watched the Giants regularly I thought he was a rag doll.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.28.---)
Date: February 01, 2012 08:37AM

Not specifically related to Boothe or Cornell, but an NY Times article touting additional Ivy League connections on the Giants coaching staff.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 11:18AM

Another nice article about Kevin Boothe.

Date: February 01, 2012 11:31PM

Here's a list of all the Cornell players to ever play in the NFL (sorry if something like this was already posted elsewhere). As was already mentioned, Kevin Boothe and Derrick Harmon were the only two to make it to the Super Bowl.

[www.databasefootball.com]

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2012 10:26PM

I will just say the Kevin is damn lucky the Giants won because he would make a very nice scapegoat...GO GIANTS!!

Date: February 06, 2012 12:27AM

snert1288
I will just say the Kevin is damn lucky the Giants won because he would make a very nice scapegoat...GO GIANTS!!
You said it for every Cornell fan. And so much for the idea that any publicity is good if they get your name right.

Date: February 06, 2012 08:22AM

Scapegoat? For what? A phantom holding call?

There wouldn't have been an individual scapegoat. The offense stalled out multiple times on drives, either punting or settling for 3. And the defense was mediocre until the last 20 minutes.

Posted by: snert1288 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 09:49AM

Phantom or not that penalty erased alot of momentum. In addition, he had an offsides in the 4th quarter on a 3rd down in NE's side of the field. That drive was not going great for the giants, but they were moving into FG range and ended up having to settle for a punt. But none of it matters now.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2012 12:24PM

Meh, I would've blamed Josh:

Josh '99

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: February 06, 2012 05:12PM

Josh '99

Yeah, it's like I said to my friend when the announcer reported that BenJarvus Green-Ellis has never fumbled. "Good, the Giants have the law of averages going for them! He's overdue."

Or was that regression towards the mean?

Date: February 06, 2012 06:37PM

Swampy

Yeah, it's like I said to my friend when the announcer reported that BenJarvus Green-Ellis has never fumbled. "Good, the Giants have the law of averages going for them! He's overdue."

I was watching with a Patriots fan. I looked at her and said "You are fucked." Someone may have gotten the word to Belicheck. I'd have to read the play-by-play again but I don't think Law Firm got another carry.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2012 07:38AM

Swampy
Josh '99

As the resident statistics professor, can I just say: doh There's no such thing as the "Law of Averages" (the closest thing is the Law of Large Numbers, which says that if e.g., 20% of trials succeed, the fraction of successes in a large number of trials should be close to 20%), And Regression to the Mean doesn't say that someone who's committed no penalties is more likely to commit one than someone who has. It says that someone who's been very successful in the past is more likely to underperform relative to their past performance (as opposed to in absolute terms) than someone who hasn't.

On the other hand, in the context of sports superstition, it makes perfect sense that pointing out a streak of luck jinxes the player and risks doom. uhoh

See, science and religion can coexist. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: February 07, 2012 10:30AM

Tom Lento
Meh, I would've blamed Josh:

Josh '99

I knew I shouldn't have said that. bang

Date: February 07, 2012 10:43AM

jtwcornell91
As the resident statistics professor, can I just say: doh There's no such thing as the "Law of Averages"
Get yer elitist "science" outta my folk wisdom! I'll bet you ride the SUBWAY!

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 10:13AM

snert1288

On the NFL Network's Sound FX last night they made it quite clear that the holding call was bogus. First, the head ref questioned the ref who threw the flag, because he didn't agree. Then after they made the call and pushed the ball back, the refs continued to question it amongst themselves. Coughlin (predictably) went nuts. Finally, the refs asked Wilfork (the supposed victim of the hold) later in the game if it was a legitimate hold, and he said no. Wilfork admitted that he fell spinning out of the block and said, "it was a bad call." Boothe's teammates and coaches knew it was a bad call. He never would have been considered a scapegoat for that.

The false start was a legitimate penalty. Smart move by the patriots to move suddenly laterally, causing him to flinch even though no one on their D line encroached.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 11:21AM

I stumbled upon a nice human interest story -- Boothe's wife is a fellow Cornellian from Waltham, MA, and her father is a long-time Patriots season ticket holder.

Date: February 09, 2012 04:23PM

snert1288

On the NFL Network's Sound FX last night they made it quite clear that the holding call was bogus. First, the head ref questioned the ref who threw the flag, because he didn't agree. Then after they made the call and pushed the ball back, the refs continued to question it amongst themselves. Coughlin (predictably) went nuts. Finally, the refs asked Wilfork (the supposed victim of the hold) later in the game if it was a legitimate hold, and he said no. Wilfork admitted that he fell spinning out of the block and said, "it was a bad call." Boothe's teammates and coaches knew it was a bad call. He never would have been considered a scapegoat for that.

The false start was a legitimate penalty. Smart move by the patriots to move suddenly laterally, causing him to flinch even though no one on their D line encroached.

Here's a video from Sound FX with the so-called "hold." [www.nfl.com]

Date: February 09, 2012 04:57PM

jtn27
snert1288

Heard about that this morning; that's great stuff.

It's shame TWC doesn't carry NFL Network. I only found out today about what is clearly the greatest show on television.

Date: February 09, 2012 05:34PM

Jordan 04
jtn27
snert1288

Heard about that this morning; that's great stuff.

It's shame TWC doesn't carry NFL Network. I only found out today about what is clearly the greatest show on television.

FYI: The show will be replayed on the NFL Network on Saturday 2/11 at 8 pm. It will be followed by the 90 min replay of the Superbowl.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2012 12:59PM

Subject: Pro Bowl Vote for Kevin Boothe
Date: November 6, 2012 11:29:07 AM EST
To: <cfa-membership-l@cornell.edu>
Reply-To: Pete Noyes <ppn2@cornell.edu>

Hello Family and Friends!

I'm reaching out to everyone to see if we can vote Kevin into the NFL's 2013 Pro Bowl (which for our non football friends is the NFL's All-Star game)! Click the following link, and vote as many times as you would like!! Feel free to forward the link to anyone you feel would be interested! We really appreciate all your votes and hope that with your help Kev can reach this next milestone in his career!

Pro Bowl Ballot

Much love to you all!

Love, Rosalie Boothe

Pete Noyes
Coordinator of Football Alumni Relations
Cornell University
Schoellkopf Hall-Campus Road
Ithaca, NY 14853
Office: 607-255-3486
Home : 607-273-6494
Fax : 607-255-4088

Date: November 07, 2012 10:30AM

Just voted 10x for him.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 04:22PM

Boothe signed a one-year deal to remain with the Giants.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 05:24PM

nyc94
Boothe signed a one-year deal to remain with the Giants.

And he was on an episode of Cake Boss ealier this fall where they were making a cake for Coughlin's charity and played with a couple players at the Giant's practice facility.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login