Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Maryland 70 Cornell 62

Posted by phillysportsfan 
Maryland 70 Cornell 62
Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 06:46PM

[www.cornellclubdc.org]

Tickets still available from Cornell Club Washington, DC. They have over 100 people going already and at $21 tickets are cheaper than buying them through Maryland
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 12:55AM by phillysportsfan.

Re: cornell basketball at maryland, tickets from Cornell still available
Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2011 03:25PM

Based on this, more than 100 Cornell fans would make up a significant percentage of the crowd in College Park.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 09:57PM

Some advice about the College Park crowd. They are... how can I put this... they can be, uh.

Date: December 19, 2011 04:17AM

Weder
Based on this, more than 100 Cornell fans would make up a significant percentage of the crowd in College Park.

Yeah especially since game is when school isnt in session

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 11:31AM

phillysportsfan
Weder
Yeah especially since game is when school isnt in session
From Maryland Athletics [www.umterps.com]: "In 2007-08, 341,050 fans came to the 19 home games at Comcast Center, setting a school record for per-game average at 17,950. Last year, Maryland ranked seventh in the nation in home attendance and welcomed its two-millionth fan in the seven seasons the Terrapins have played in their sparkling new home."

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2011 10:27AM

Maryland Athletics is selling tickets to the game at the 60% discounted price of $12, but it's apparently today only:

[pacmail.em.marketinghq.net]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KenP (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 07:11PM

I've got my tickets. Anyone else from ELF going to be there?

Date: January 01, 2012 02:00PM

Yes I will be there. I am not expecting a win as it will probably be like the last 4 road games, close but not enough. Although Maryland has been asking for a loss, squeaking by at home against a bunch of average to below average teams. They really could use a win here, tough to go into Ivy play 5 straight losses with no road wins yet. That long losing steak going into Ivy play last year really hurt them, never really recovered until it was too late
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 02:01PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 03:07PM

Maryland game will be webcast on espn3.

Date: January 02, 2012 10:45AM

KenP
I've got my tickets. Anyone else from ELF going to be there?
What is the etiquette of Cornell basketball fans wearing a hockey jersey to an away game? Is it bad because it's a reminder to our opponent that hoops is not Cornell's winter sport most winters? I'm thinking that's why we all have Cornell sweatshirts. Plus there's the Rick Reilly column, Jersey Rules. No. 1 says don't wear jerseys past age 29. Also note:

>>> Jersey Rule No. 8: Absolutely no cutesy wrong-color jerseys. No pink Yankees jerseys. No camouflage Cowboys jerseys. And no new University of Maryland jerseys. They look like an explosion at a Benjamin Moore store.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 09:49PM

Anyone actually get redcast to work tonight? All I got was music. flipd

Date: January 03, 2012 09:56PM

Chris '03
espn3 video was perfect; team came from 23 down early in the game to tie it in the second but lost in the end, 70-62.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2012 10:01PM

Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
espn3 video was perfect; team came from 23 down early in the game to tie it in the second but lost in the end, 70-62.

Did we actually tie it? I thought we only got within one on several occasions.

Coming out party for Devin Cherry, who was injured early in the season. He, along with Miller and Cancer, gives us an dynamic Freshman trio.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 10:43PM

Date: January 04, 2012 12:50AM

ugarte
Hey Harvard, welcome to the 13 seed.

yeah this should put an end to all the ESPN Harvard hype

Date: January 04, 2012 12:56AM

Chris '03

apparently there was a fire at Hits 103.3

Date: January 04, 2012 01:09AM

Amazing how this team doesnt quit, they really could have packed it in after 15-0 and when the lead got to 23. Now if they could only win a tight road game. You would think they could win one of these by dumb luck with as many close road games as they have had.

All those chucked 3's at the beginning really killed them, would be nice for this team lose their identity as a 3pt shooting team, that was Donahue's style. We dont run a good enough half court offense to get enough good open looks like we did under Donahue and we dont have the players anymore. Only Ferry is a good 3pt shooter, Wrobo was but has had a rough year. We got 2 guards that can beat guys off the dribble in Cancer and Cherry and 2 guys solid around the basket with Eitan and Miller, we should not be chucking 3's. Next year we wont have any good consistent 3pt shooters, maybe this recruit Cressler?

Hard to knock Ferry as he has been a consistent 3pt shooter all season but that is all he does well. 1-9 is not acceptable especially since we win this game if he has a decent night. His 3's in transition are also a real killer, gives the opponent the ball right away and kills any momentum we have.

solid game from Eitan, he is very quick around the basket and beat Len a few times. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble

Biggest positive out of this game was the breakout game for Cherry. I was really impressed, he can make jump shots and beat guys off the dribble to get to the basket. Definitely should see a lot of him around Ivy play.

With Cherry's emergence interested to see what this team can do now that Ivy play is here. Have to be excited for the future though, Cancer, Miller, Cherry for 3 more years + 2 more years of Peck and 2 good big men recruits in Bunce and Harmon

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 01:39AM

ugarte
Should be able to hit the +1 button multiple times when it involves Harvard sucking

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 04, 2012 07:31AM

phillysportsfan
Amazing how this team doesnt quit, they really could have packed it in after 15-0 and when the lead got to 23. Now if they could only win a tight road game. You would think they could win one of these by dumb luck with as many close road games as they have had.

All those chucked 3's at the beginning really killed them, would be nice for this team lose their identity as a 3pt shooting team, that was Donahue's style. We dont run a good enough half court offense to get enough good open looks like we did under Donahue and we dont have the players anymore. Only Ferry is a good 3pt shooter, Wrobo was but has had a rough year. We got 2 guards that can beat guys off the dribble in Cancer and Cherry and 2 guys solid around the basket with Eitan and Miller, we should not be chucking 3's. Next year we wont have any good consistent 3pt shooters, maybe this recruit Cressler?

Hard to knock Ferry as he has been a consistent 3pt shooter all season but that is all he does well. 1-9 is not acceptable especially since we win this game if he has a decent night. His 3's in transition are also a real killer, gives the opponent the ball right away and kills any momentum we have.

solid game from Eitan, he is very quick around the basket and beat Len a few times. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble

Biggest positive out of this game was the breakout game for Cherry. I was really impressed, he can make jump shots and beat guys off the dribble to get to the basket. Definitely should see a lot of him around Ivy play.

With Cherry's emergence interested to see what this team can do now that Ivy play is here. Have to be excited for the future though, Cancer, Miller, Cherry for 3 more years + 2 more years of Peck and 2 good big men recruits in Bunce and Harmon

Good analysis. Opponents do not respect our inside game enough to pack-it-in, so we don't get nearly as many open looks from 3 as we did with our "Big 3" teams.

Posted by: mountainred (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 09:28AM

phillysportsfan
ugarte

yeah this should put an end to all the ESPN Harvard hype

Don't trust ESPN to be logical, but Harvard's resume is based almost exclusively on the Florida State win that is not holding up real well.

Date: January 04, 2012 09:28AM

ugarte
Doesn't anyone feel a band of brothers bonding with Harvard this year as an Ivy team that might have one, maybe two, wins in it come NCAA tournament time? Penn and Princeton carried the Ivy League banner for years, we did it for a couple, and now Harvard has the chance. Not saying I feel warm and fuzzy about the Cantabs myself.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 09:30AM by billhoward.

Date: January 04, 2012 09:41AM

billhoward
ugarte
Doesn't anyone feel a band of brothers bonding with Harvard this year as an Ivy team that might have one, maybe two, wins in it come NCAA tournament time? Penn and Princeton carried the Ivy League banner for years, we did it for a couple, and now Harvard has the chance. Not saying I feel warm and fuzzy about the Cantabs myself.
Yes. I'll be rooting for them. A rising tide lifts all yachts.

Date: January 04, 2012 10:00AM

scoop85
phillysportsfan

Good analysis. Opponents do not respect our inside game enough to pack-it-in, so we don't get nearly as many open looks from 3 as we did with our "Big 3" teams.

Pretty dead on. The ESPN3 announcers were (rightfully) getting on the offense for not moving during long stretches of the game. Eitan should touch the ball on each possession, if for no other reason than slowing our tendency to shoot a quick 3-pointer.

My memory (quickly checked on the play-by-play) is that Cornell twice had the ball and the chance to tie or take the lead in the second half and each time missed a three. One on the always infuriating three in transition. smashfreak

Date: January 04, 2012 10:03AM

Trotsky
billhoward
ugarte

To each their own but not me. There is something sleazy about Amaker that I just don't like. Plus, Harvard sucks.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 04, 2012 11:11AM

phillysportsfan
Amazing how this team doesnt quit

I had to check to make sure I wasn't in the "sports cliches" thread by mistake. :-D (I kid, I keeeed)

Date: January 04, 2012 12:42PM

Trotsky
billhoward
ugarte

How many Ivy games have been played? Is it that clear-cut that we're already crowning them and slotting their regional seeding?

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: January 04, 2012 01:56PM

billhoward
ugarte
Nope. I want the Sweet 16 to feel special for at least a decade... unless Cornell is winning the league again in which case another run would be nice.

Harvard's reputation doesn't hinge on the FSU win. They've also beaten Utah, BC* and St. Joe's. The former two aren't good BCS teams, but St. Joe's has been very good this year. Even the bottom of the BCS conferences are big wins for Ivy schools. But a loss to 7-6 Fordham? Even on the road, and even though they beat Georgia Tech too, that is death to a seed for a mid-major champ.

RichH: As for whether Harvard should be written in pen for the Ivy title, probably not - they choked last year, after all - but that wasn't my point anyway. If anyone was going to get a better seed than 13, it would be Harvard. If Harvard doesn't win the Ivy League, whoever goes in their stead is looking at a 14 or worse, depending on how the league schedule unfolds.

Date: January 04, 2012 02:07PM

It's Amaker's suit. The man has never owned a Harris Tweed in his life. There's a contract-release option if forced to wear penny loafers or anything that came from Freeport, Maine.

Date: January 04, 2012 03:01PM

ugarte
billhoward
ugarte
Nope. I want the Sweet 16 to feel special for at least a decade... unless Cornell is winning the league again in which case another run would be nice.

Harvard's reputation doesn't hinge on the FSU win. They've also beaten Utah, BC* and St. Joe's. The former two aren't good BCS teams, but St. Joe's has been very good this year. Even the bottom of the BCS conferences are big wins for Ivy schools. But a loss to 7-6 Fordham? Even on the road, and even though they beat Georgia Tech too, that is death to a seed for a mid-major champ.

No Ivy squad should ever apologize for beating a BCS team, but Utah is brutally bad and BC (sorry Coach D) isn't much better. If you don't trust me, the all-powerful RPI says those are two of Harvard's three least impressive wins this season. The St. Joe win (at home) will could well be the Crimson's best when the season ends and that won't get you a ton of love from the seeding committee. Throw in one more loss anywhere along the way, and a 12/13 seed is about as good as it gets.

Date: January 04, 2012 04:06PM

mountainred
ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

No Ivy squad should ever apologize for beating a BCS team, but Utah is brutally bad and BC (sorry Coach D) isn't much better. If you don't trust me, the all-powerful RPI says those are two of Harvard's three least impressive wins this season.
The point about Coach D was what I was going to say before I forgot to follow up on my footnote. I have no idea how long they'll let him hang in since Skinner had some success and they still canned him.

The Utah and BC games will look better in RPI when they play their conference schedule. That isn't actually a good point but rather a thing about RPI that is dumb.

Date: January 04, 2012 05:55PM

ugarte
mountainred
ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

No Ivy squad should ever apologize for beating a BCS team, but Utah is brutally bad and BC (sorry Coach D) isn't much better. If you don't trust me, the all-powerful RPI says those are two of Harvard's three least impressive wins this season.
The point about Coach D was what I was going to say before I forgot to follow up on my footnote. I have no idea how long they'll let him hang in since Skinner had some success and they still canned him.

The Utah and BC games will look better in RPI when they play their conference schedule. That isn't actually a good point but rather a thing about RPI that is dumb.

I think Coach D gets a mulligan for this season based on the surprising success he had last year and the Eagles' turning over their entire roster this year. But he better produce significantly better results next season because losses to Harvard, BU, Holy Cross and UMass won't stand for very long.

Date: January 04, 2012 06:19PM

mountainred
ugarte
mountainred
ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

I think Coach D gets a mulligan for this season based on the surprising success he had last year and the Eagles' turning over their entire roster this year. But he better produce significantly better results next season because losses to Harvard, BU, Holy Cross and UMass won't stand for very long.
Not good to be picked to finish last in the league in the pre-season poll, either.

Date: January 04, 2012 11:52PM

RichH
Trotsky
billhoward
ugarte

How many Ivy games have been played? Is it that clear-cut that we're already crowning them and slotting their regional seeding?

Will never root for Harvard, hate them. Would like to see Harvard find a way to not make the NCAA's this year
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 11:56PM by phillysportsfan.

Date: January 04, 2012 11:55PM

mountainred
ugarte
mountainred
ugarte
billhoward
ugarte

I hope he can turn it around quick next year, would hate to see Donahue get fired in 2 years

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:06PM

ugarte

This isn't going to help.

[scores.espn.go.com]

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:26PM

nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]
Only appropriate reaction: banana

On an even better note, we're now 10-12, 5-3 in Ivy play. Johnny Gray had a very good weekend and His 'Ski-ness is scoring again.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:33PM

nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]
Hopefully we can find a way to welcome them to the NIT

Date: February 12, 2012 02:42PM

css228
nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]
Hopefully we can find a way to welcome them to the NIT

Yes it would be funny to see Harvard find a way to not win the IVy title again but unless we can win it I cant really root for any of the other teams. Would also be nice to see Mangano and Rosen graduate with 0 Ivy titles

Date: February 12, 2012 02:47PM

Ben
nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]

On an even better note, we're now 10-12, 5-3 in Ivy play. Johnny Gray had a very good weekend and His 'Ski-ness is scoring again.

Yes great weekend, Yale game was probably their best game all season, offense was finally running smoothly and consistently the last 2 games. Gray has been on a tear, scoring double digit points the last 6 games.

Date: February 12, 2012 05:02PM

Princeton fans rushed the court after they beat Harvard. That's just wrong for so many reasons. Kids these days!

Date: February 12, 2012 08:05PM

Yeah Harvard shouldnt have even been ranked

Posted by: Ben (158.143.104.---)
Date: February 12, 2012 08:25PM

phillysportsfan
It's not just that. It's that they've beaten Harvard at Jadwin every year since 1989, they have 26 Ivy titles to Harvard's one, and as many Final Fours as Harvard has NCAA tourney appearances. It's ridiculous.

Date: February 12, 2012 09:01PM

Ben
phillysportsfan
It's not just that. It's that they've beaten Harvard at Jadwin every year since 1989, they have 26 Ivy titles to Harvard's one, and as many Final Fours as Harvard has NCAA tourney appearances. It's ridiculous.
Harvard was a ranked team. I can see the kids getting excited. And it has to feel good to stick a shiv in Harvard.

Now that Harvard is hurting it doesn't pain me to say that the FSU win looks a lot better than it used to. FSU beat UNC and Duke this year. At the same time, Fordham is tied for last in the A10, so that loss looks particularly bad.

Date: February 12, 2012 09:06PM

Ben
phillysportsfan
It's not just that. It's that they've beaten Harvard at Jadwin every year since 1989, they have 26 Ivy titles to Harvard's share of one, and as many Final Fours as Harvard has NCAA tourney appearances. It's ridiculous.
FYP
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 12:19AM by css228.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2012 12:03AM

Ben
Princeton fans rushed the court after they beat Harvard. That's just wrong for so many reasons. Kids these days!

Storming the court has moved past sharks and is now jumping humpback whales. But ESBN keeps showing it, so what do you think is going to keep happening?

Date: February 26, 2012 12:17AM

Ben
nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]

Harvard loses to Penn 55-54 at home. They are now 10-2, Penn is 9-2. Harvard finishes their season at Columbia and Cornell next weekend.

Date: February 26, 2012 12:34AM

nyc94
Ben
nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]

Harvard loses to Penn 55-54 at home. They are now 10-2, Penn is 9-2. Harvard finishes their season at Columbia and Cornell next weekend.
As hard as this is having grown up with a Princeton alum for a mother, go Penn! Let's help em send Harvard to the NIT (this might be the first time in my life I have ever uttered those words)

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 26, 2012 09:43AM

css228
nyc94
Ben
nyc94
ugarte

[scores.espn.go.com]

As hard as this is having grown up with a Princeton alum for a mother, go Penn! Let's help em send Harvard to the NIT (this might be the first time in my life I have ever uttered those words)

Love Amaker's class about the late game charge call (from the linked NYT story): "Amaker said he needed to watch a replay before making an extensive comment. “We didn’t get the call,” he said. "Par for the course.”"
Dude, you are 24-4 and whining that the refs have been against you all season? He really has done the impossible and turned me into a Penn fan. I feel a little dirty for just saying that.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: February 29, 2012 01:20PM

What's the tiebreaker if they both finish 12-2? A single game playoff?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: February 29, 2012 01:24PM

French Rage
They share the Ivy title and play one game (probably at Levein or Lee) for the NCAA autobid.

Date: February 29, 2012 03:36PM

Ben
French Rage
They share the Ivy title and play one game (probably at Levein or Lee) for the NCAA autobid.
At least one analyst has said that he thinks if that happens, and Penn wins, the Ivies will be a two-bid conference. He also thought that if Harvard drops one to Cornell or Columbia, they'd still be right around the tournament bubble.

Date: February 29, 2012 05:13PM

ugarte
Ben
French Rage
At least one analyst has said that he thinks if that happens, and Penn wins, the Ivies will be a two-bid conference. He also thought that if Harvard drops one to Cornell or Columbia, they'd still be right around the tournament bubble.

Further evidence that the world will come to an end in 2012.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 29, 2012 05:37PM

nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!

Date: February 29, 2012 08:01PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!
As much as I want the Ivy's to get more respect, Harvard isn't good enough for an at large bid. They lost to FORDHAM. If a Cornell team played the same schedule and had the same record it wouldn't come close to being nationally ranked,

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 29, 2012 08:52PM

css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!
As much as I want the Ivy's to get more respect, Harvard isn't good enough for an at large bid. They lost to FORDHAM. If a Cornell team played the same schedule and had the same record it wouldn't come close to being nationally ranked,

I disagree. If Cornell had the exact same season Harvard has had this year we would be ranked the same as Harvard (which I think is not good enough to make the tournament as an at-large bid, considering the losses to Fordam, Penn, and Princeton). It's not like there is a pro-Harvard bias in college basketball circles that gives them an advantage, nor is there an anti-Cornell bias (there might an anti-Ivy bias though). Now Duke on the other hand...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 09:01PM by jtn27.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2012 09:09PM

jtn27
I disagree. If Cornell had the exact same season Harvard has had this year we would be ranked the same as Harvard (which I think is not good enough to make the tournament as an at-large bid, considering the losses to Fordam, Penn, and Princeton). It's not like there is a pro-Harvard bias in college basketball circles that gives them an advantage, nor is there an anti-Cornell bias (there might an anti-Ivy bias though). Now Duke on the other hand...

Nailed it

Date: February 29, 2012 09:23PM

jtn27
css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!

I really think the media wants Harvard to get in because it makes for a sexy story. Remember that Harvard was the favorite heading into the game in Ithaca despite being a clearly inferior team (evidenced by their 32 point loss). Anyone whod watched a basketball game involving both teams could have told you that Cornell team was the FAR superior team. There may not be a pro-Harvard bias, but there's definitely for a bias for a good story and lets face it what's the better story, Cornell dominant Ivy League power who can play with the best in the country, or replacing that with Harvard. The media loved the Cornell story, but Harvard making that same run is the media's wet dream.

Date: March 01, 2012 12:43AM

css228
jtn27
css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!

I really think the media wants Harvard to get in because it makes for a sexy story. Remember that Harvard was the favorite heading into the game in Ithaca despite being a clearly inferior team (evidenced by their 32 point loss). Anyone whod watched a basketball game involving both teams could have told you that Cornell team was the FAR superior team. There may not be a pro-Harvard bias, but there's definitely for a bias for a good story and lets face it what's the better story, Cornell dominant Ivy League power who can play with the best in the country, or replacing that with Harvard. The media loved the Cornell story, but Harvard making that same run is the media's wet dream.
The media doesn't pick the bracket, the polls don't matter and the Committee has shown very little interest in the past about "cool storylines" when filling out the last four in. Bracketologists have Harvard as an 9/10 because they performed well against a tough schedule.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to take this switch and flense my back for saying something nice about Harvard.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:49AM

css228
jtn27
css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!

Put it together with Jeremy Lin and you'll need a pretty large box of tissues.

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: March 01, 2012 07:59AM

If there's a bias it simply is the media wanting Harvard to fill the roll as the this year's Cornell-like cinderella story to hype up the March Madness excitement.

Date: March 01, 2012 08:24AM

KenP
If there's a bias it simply is the media wanting Harvard to fill the roll as the this year's Cornell-like cinderella story to hype up the March Madness excitement.
I prefer my Kaiser filled with pastrami.;-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2012 02:19PM

css228
jtn27
css228
Jeff Hopkins '82
nyc94
ugarte
Ben
French Rage

Bid inflation!

I'm confused; are we talking about this Cornell-Harvard game from 2009-10? I could see how one would confuse it for something that had just happened recently, given that Jeremy Lin had 8 turnovers.

Date: March 01, 2012 03:55PM

css228

The media (which basically means ESPN) may want Harvard to get in, but ESPN is not the selection committee and they are are they responsible for the polls. You can spout conspiracy theories all you want, but I don't buy it. If Harvard makes the tournament as an at large bid it will have nothing to do with the media.

Date: March 01, 2012 05:11PM

jtn27
css228

The media (which basically means ESPN) may want Harvard to get in, but ESPN is not the selection committee and they are are they responsible for the polls. You can spout conspiracy theories all you want, but I don't buy it. If Harvard makes the tournament as an at large bid it will have nothing to do with the media.

But then how are they going to get any exposure for the NCAA Tournament? Nobody's going to pay attention without ESPN pulling strings in the selection process. **]

Date: March 01, 2012 05:26PM

ugarte
Bracketologists have Harvard as an 9/10 because they performed well against a tough schedule.

How tough was it? Seriously, I have no idea from looking at it. How does it compare with Cornell's 2010 schedule?

Re: Maryland 70 Cornell 62
Date: March 01, 2012 05:54PM

[url=]The smack is being talked[/url]. Stay humble, Harvard.

Date: March 01, 2012 06:41PM

jtn27
css228

Like the NCAA doesnt care about ratings? Which is why you get a crappy major team over a deserving mid major all the time,

Date: March 01, 2012 06:49PM

css228
jtn27
css228

Like the NCAA doesnt care about ratings? Which is why you get a crappy major team over a deserving mid major all the time,

Harvard is neither a major nor mid-major team. They might make a good Cinderella story but they have a non-existant fan base. The NCAA will get better ratings by inviting a team with a large fan base.

Date: March 01, 2012 06:52PM

Ben
[url=]The smack is being talked[/url]. Stay humble, Harvard.[/quote]

Ooohhh.... That's bulletin board material. Coach Courtney will be sure to let the team know about this (that is if Coach Courtney knows how to use Twitter).

Date: March 01, 2012 07:24PM

jtn27
css228
jtn27
css228

Harvard is neither a major nor mid-major team. They might make a good Cinderella story but they have a non-existant fan base. The NCAA will get better ratings by inviting a team with a large fan base.
They are an appealing name for a neutral fan to get behind though. They'll definitely get neutrals to watch.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2012 08:14PM

jtn27
Ben
[url=]The smack is being talked[/url]. Stay humble, Harvard.[/quote]

Ooohhh.... That's bulletin board material. Coach Courtney will be sure to let the team know about this (that is if Coach Courtney knows how to use Twitter).[/quote]

Whatever it was, it's been taken down.

Edit: never mind, page wasn't loading.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 08:15PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 08:21PM

nyc94
ugarte
Bracketologists have Harvard as an 9/10 because they performed well against a tough schedule.

How tough was it? Seriously, I have no idea from looking at it. How does it compare with Cornell's 2010 schedule?

According to the Bradley-Terry:
Harvard 2012, through February 29: SOS 148.95, ranked 127th
Cornell 2010, through March 14 (Selection Sunday): SOS 247.20, ranked 101st

Date: March 01, 2012 10:51PM

kingpin248
nyc94
ugarte

According to the Bradley-Terry:
Harvard 2012, through February 29: SOS 148.95, ranked 127th
Cornell 2010, through March 14 (Selection Sunday): SOS 247.20, ranked 101st
And Cornell was 39 and Harvard is sitting at 47 in the overall B-T rankings. Interestingly, that means that Harvard should be the 12 seed and we should have been a 9. I'd rather be a 12.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 02, 2012 01:32PM

css228
jtn27
css228
jtn27
css228

They are an appealing name for a neutral fan to get behind though. They'll definitely get neutrals to watch.

This. Like it or not Harvard still has a more recognizable name, so they're always getting the media hype, even in seasons where we beat them by 30+. And ESPN likes the lazy story (you know, where a far superior QB doesn't get the Heisman because he didn't have enough "Heisman moments", i.e. 30 seconds of clips we can just show you instead of actually analyzing why he is better because God forbid our "college football experts" do some fucking work) so they're going to want to focus on the more recognizable team with good academics that you already have heard about in the Facebook movie instead of alerting you to the fact that a better team with good academics happens to exist.

Also, does anyone know if Harvard and Penn tie the RS this year will Harvard fans rush the court again. Or is rushing the court for a RS title tie before you lost the playoff game really something you only do once?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 01:44PM

To be honest, Cornell has had a lot of good insider press out of Bristol over the years. This is not in any way to suggest that ESPN is not a cancer that should be nuked from orbit, to be sure.

Date: March 02, 2012 01:52PM

French Rage
css228
jtn27
css228
jtn27
css228

This. Like it or not Harvard still has a more recognizable name, so they're always getting the media hype, even in seasons where we beat them by 30+. And ESPN likes the lazy story (you know, where a far superior QB doesn't get the Heisman because he didn't have enough "Heisman moments", i.e. 30 seconds of clips we can just show you instead of actually analyzing why he is better because God forbid our "college football experts" do some fucking work) so they're going to want to focus on the more recognizable team with good academics that you already have heard about in the Facebook movie instead of alerting you to the fact that a better team with good academics happens to exist.

Also, does anyone know if Harvard and Penn tie the RS this year will Harvard fans rush the court again. Or is rushing the court for a RS title tie before you lost the playoff game really something you only do once?

ESPN might want Harvard to make the tournament but if Penn wins the auto-bid and Harvard makes it as an at-large, it will lead to claims that the quality of the tournament has been watered down because of the inclusion of two teams from an inferior conference. While ESPN might not care about this, the selection committee certainly will and will want to avoid it. In fact, ESPN will probably play both sides by having some of their analysts say what a great story Harvard is and some others say Harvard is undeserving.

Date: March 02, 2012 02:02PM

French Rage
Of course they'll rush the court. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Princeton - PRINCETON, THE IVY BASKETBALL POWERHOUSE -- fans rushed the court after they beat Sucks earlier this year. It has gone too far.

Also, if they clinch, it'll be on Saturday against us. I doubt that they're bringing a big contingent of fans.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 02:03PM by Ben.

Posted by: mountainred (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 06:09PM

Ben
French Rage
Of course they'll rush the court. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Princeton - PRINCETON, THE IVY BASKETBALL POWERHOUSE -- fans rushed the court after they beat Sucks earlier this year. It has gone too far.

Also, if they clinch, it'll be on Saturday against us. I doubt that they're bringing a big contingent of fans.

They'll bring all of their fans. So, yeah, we are in agreement, not many making the trip.

And while ESPN would love the lazy story of Harvard and Lin because that's how they roll in Bristol, the identity of the Ivy rep in this year's tournament won't move the ratings dial a bit. The NCAA doesn't care who the Cinderellas are, as long as they have a few in the first weekend and as long as they have the decency to lose in the round of 16 because they are lousy for ratings.

Date: March 02, 2012 06:39PM

Ben
French Rage

If they had the gaul to rush our court it'd be an ugly scene. I know I wouldn't take it well.

Date: March 02, 2012 07:38PM

css228
Ben
French Rage

If they had the gaul to rush our court it'd be an ugly scene. I know I wouldn't take it well.

Date: March 02, 2012 10:50PM

Trotsky
css228
Ben
French Rage

Can't believe I did that. *gall

Date: March 03, 2012 07:17AM

Harvard requires OT to get past Columbia last night.doh

Date: March 03, 2012 11:57AM

FYI. Cornell/Harvard on ESPN3 tonight.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 01:18PM

Al DeFlorio
Harvard requires OT to get past Columbia last night.doh

They were "lincredibly" lucky. :-(

Date: March 04, 2012 10:24AM

I was sitting behind the Harvard Crimson reporter at the game last night. Before the game even started, he had written part of his story about Harvard winning. I know it worked out for him, but I found the arrogance to be appalling. (Although, to be fair, when I called him out on it he told me he had written 3 versions, including one for a Cornell win. I guess the 3rd version was a Harvard win plus a Penn loss.)

Date: March 04, 2012 11:53PM

jtn27
I was sitting behind the Harvard Crimson reporter at the game last night. Before the game even started, he had written part of his story about Harvard winning. I know it worked out for him, but I found the arrogance to be appalling. (Although, to be fair, when I called him out on it he told me he had written 3 versions, including one for a Cornell win. I guess the 3rd version was a Harvard win plus a Penn loss.)
That's not arrogance, that's effort. Give him an A for effort. [insert Harvard joke here]

Date: March 06, 2012 09:46PM

Princeton beat Penn. But on the plus side, now we get to see Harvard get embarrassed in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 09:46PM by jtn27.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: March 06, 2012 09:49PM

jtn27
Princeton beat Penn. But on the plus side, now we get to see Harvard get embarrassed in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Typical. The one time I root for Penn to do anything useful....

Date: March 06, 2012 09:59PM

Time to root for Sucks to lose by 40 in the first round.

Date: March 06, 2012 10:21PM

css228
Time to root for Sucks to lose by 40 in the first round.

Well, if anyone knows first round losses in the NCAA's, it's Sucks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login