Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Syracuse to the ACC

Posted by Cornell95 
Syracuse to the ACC
Posted by: Cornell95 (---.sub-174-254-183.myvzw.com)
Date: September 18, 2011 12:28PM

I gather that SU has accepted an invitation to join the ACC
Implications abound in several sports, our interest is most tightly bound to lacrosse

Good or bad for Syracuse lacrosse
Good for our strength of schedule assuming non-conf games don't dry up?
Can the ACC handle an increase in ugly uniforms?

Re: Syracuse to the ACC
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 09:27PM

Holy crap. I was so wrapped up in what a kick in the teeth this would be for Big East basketball I didn't even think about what this would mean for lax. I wonder if the ACC will try to pull in a sixth program to get a tournament and an AQ. Not that they need it.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 10:37PM

ugarte
Holy crap. I was so wrapped up in what a kick in the teeth this would be for Big East basketball I didn't even think about what this would mean for lax. I wonder if the ACC will try to pull in a sixth program to get a tournament and an AQ. Not that they need it.

Rumor has it that Rutgers and UConn are the next to leave the BE sinking ship. So Rutgers would bring the number up to six, and UConn is a natural to add DI lax (they already have a club team that plays in the MCLA).

The wild card, I think, is Texas, which in turn is tied to Oklahoma. The latter seems to be leaning to the Pac 12, in which case Texas goes there too. Texas apparently was talking to the ACC, but this afternoon's New York Times reports that's over. Were UT to go to the ACC, that could squeeze out one of the two BE schools.

I really love how the Times article says, "There are worries over the size of the league, the academic reputation of Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma," as if this consolidation has to do with anything but money. I mean are average SAT scores at the likes of Oregon State, Washington State, or Utah significantly different from those of the three aforementioned schools?

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 11:22PM

Another story on Syracuse going to the ACC in Laxpower. There's a bit of pretentiousness in some of the statements by SU officials.

One is the statement from SU's Chancellor and President, Nancy Cantor, who said, "We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC." It's a safe bet her appointment is not in the Geography Department.

Another is athletics director Daryl Gross' statement, "As 'New York's College Team,' we plan to compete at the highest level across all of our sports and help to enhance this great conference."

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: September 18, 2011 11:39PM

Swampy
Another story on Syracuse going to the ACC in Laxpower. There's a bit of pretentiousness in some of the statements by SU officials.

One is the statement from SU's Chancellor and President, Nancy Cantor, who said, "We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC." It's a safe bet her appointment is not in the Geography Department.

Another is athletics director Daryl Gross' statement, "As 'New York's College Team,' we plan to compete at the highest level across all of our sports and help to enhance this great conference."

There are plenty of Syracuse alums in the NYC area, so that's the point the chancellor is making. All of this conference hopping is a chase for TV dollars, and the ACC is interested in Syracuse because of the potential audience in New York, not Central New York.

And that "New York's College Team" nonsense is a marketing line that Syracuse has been using for a few years now.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2011 07:36AM

Swampy, when you mix the Will Rogers warm-and-funny pills with the Don Rickles mean-and-funny pills, the outcome is awesome. You made my day. Wouldn't it be nice if the Times (sorry, The Times) could be this concise rather than head off to navel-gazing phrases such as " ... and raises troubling questions about the nature of college sports in an academic environment ... "

>>> I really love how the Times article says, "There are worries over the size of the league, the academic reputation of Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma," as if this consolidation has to do with anything but money.

>>> One is the statement from SU's Chancellor and President, Nancy Cantor, who said, "We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC." It's a safe bet her appointment is not in the Geography Department.

Beeej's post on The Shame of College Sports, a likely candidate for the 2011 National Magazine Award in the Typing category, ties in nicely: [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2011 09:28PM

Weder
Swampy

There are plenty of Syracuse alums in the NYC area, so that's the point the chancellor is making. All of this conference hopping is a chase for TV dollars, and the ACC is interested in Syracuse because of the potential audience in New York, not Central New York.

And that "New York's College Team" nonsense is a marketing line that Syracuse has been using for a few years now.
And they have been promoting themselves in NYC. If I remember correctly, the follow-up game to SU @ USC this past Sat, is USC vs SU @ NYC.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2011 11:47PM

Jim Hyla
Weder
Swampy

And they have been promoting themselves in NYC. If I remember correctly, the follow-up game to SU @ USC this past Sat, is USC vs SU @ NYC.

Future games at MetLife:
2012 -- Southern Cal
2013 -- Penn State
2014 -- Notre Dame
2016 -- Notre Dame

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (216.2.63.---)
Date: September 20, 2011 11:34AM

ugarte
I wonder if the ACC will try to pull in a sixth program to get a tournament and an AQ. Not that they need it.

How many teams do you need to get the auto bid to the men's D1 Lax tournament? 4?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 01:18PM

Ben Rocky '04
ugarte
I wonder if the ACC will try to pull in a sixth program to get a tournament and an AQ. Not that they need it.

How many teams do you need to get the auto bid to the men's D1 Lax tournament? 4?
Six.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: September 21, 2011 10:40AM

It definitely makes SU's schedule even tougher than it usually is. They lose Big East cupcakes Providence, St John's and Rutgers and replaces them with Duke, Maryland, and UNC (they already play UVA.) AND adds a chance to play two of these again in the ACC tournament.

I like your observation about strength of schedule - it can only help us- even if we lose the head-to-head game. I can't explain it but it's always worked for Hopkins.wtf

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (216.2.63.---)
Date: September 21, 2011 11:32AM

smashfreak #facepalm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login