Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Nice motivational story on Cornell QB Jeff Mathews

Posted by Ken711 
Nice motivational story on Cornell QB Jeff Mathews
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2011 09:39AM

No wonder he had the motivation to keep getting up after taking all those sacks last fall.

[www.vcstar.com]

Re: Nice motivational story on Cornell QB Jeff Mathews
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2011 10:47AM

Ken711
No wonder he had the motivation to keep getting up after taking all those sacks last fall.

[www.vcstar.com]
Except that her accident was because of bad driving, not distracted driving. But if she convinces others not to do it, very good.

Date: July 16, 2011 11:49AM

The QB should be a very competitive position this fall. Even though Jeff was the starter, he will be pushed by the transfer from Cal., and Vick the transfer from U. of NH, as well as the freshman Sam Wood.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 12:05PM by Ken711.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.nmmlaw.com)
Date: July 18, 2011 05:28PM

Wait - we got a QB transfer from Cal, as in UC Berkely? Who knew...UNH isn't too bad either, but a transfer from Cal could be a difference maker in the Ivy League for sure.

Date: July 18, 2011 07:10PM

CUontheslopes
Wait - we got a QB transfer from Cal, as in UC Berkely? Who knew...UNH isn't too bad either, but a transfer from Cal could be a difference maker in the Ivy League for sure.

His name is Beau Sweeney. He wasn't a starter at Cal Berkeley, was probably their 3 QB on the depth chart, but was highly rated coming out of HS. Decided he wanted a chance for more playing time and still get a great degree.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: July 18, 2011 10:32PM

Jim Hyla
Ken711

[www.vcstar.com]
Except that her accident was because of bad driving, not distracted driving. But if she convinces others not to do it, very good.

I also think that many people would benefit from hearing about the importance of wearing seat belts. I don't know if she was wearing one (the article below is strangely silent on the matter) but the driver was wearing one and escaped without serious injury.

[www.heraldtribune.com]

I lost a freind who was 23 when she fell asleep at the wheel. She didn't believe in using seat belts.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 10:35PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 10:43PM

CUontheslopes
He could have transferred to Harvard and made a positive difference in the team GPA, too.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2011 09:08PM

Ken711
CUontheslopes

His name is Beau Sweeney. He wasn't a starter at Cal Berkeley, was probably their 3 QB on the depth chart, but was highly rated coming out of HS. Decided he wanted a chance for more playing time and still get a great degree.

Pretty impressive profile. 3-star kid out of HS with offers from Oregon, Arizona, Arizona St, & Colorado. Comes from a good football family: dad played for the Cowboys; grandfather was head coach with Montana St, Washington St, and Fresno St.

Date: July 19, 2011 09:24PM

ithacat
Ken711
CUontheslopes

Pretty impressive profile. 3-star kid out of HS with offers from Oregon, Arizona, Arizona St, & Colorado. Comes from a good football family: dad played for the Cowboys; grandfather was head coach with Montana St, Washington St, and Fresno St.

Thw Ivys have had mixed success with transfers from D1 programs. Andrew Hatch (LSU) Harvard and Patrick Witt (Nebraska) Yale haven't exactly set the Ivy League on fire. However, Penn had great success winning two Ivy Championships with QB transfer Gavin Hoffmann (Northwestern).

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 09:30PM

Would be really sweet if Coach Austin can bring Cornell football back. We've had so much success in many of our other programs. Why not football!

Date: July 19, 2011 09:44PM

CAS
Would be really sweet if Coach Austin can bring Cornell football back. We've had so much success in many of our other programs. Why not football!

I couldn't agree more. May take another good recruiting class or two perhaps. Go Big Red!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2011 09:45PM by Ken711.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: July 20, 2011 10:37AM

Ken711
CAS

I couldn't agree more. May take another good recruiting class or two perhaps. Go Big Red!

"Clear eyes, full hearts... We'll work on that."

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 02:42PM

CAS
If by bringing Cornell football back you mean into league contention then sure, it should be possible. But football is hamstrung by the fact that you can't even hope for any kind of national prominence or exposure like you can in other sports.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2011 03:02PM

Just want us to be competitive in the Ivies. Beat the teams on our schedule. Finish the season with a win over Penn for the Ivy championship.
Look at all our recent success in wrestling, lax, hockey, and hoops. The one hole is football. Let's bring it back!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2011 05:17PM

CAS
Just want us to be competitive in the Ivies. Beat the teams on our schedule. Finish the season with a win over Penn for the Ivy championship.
Look at all our recent success in wrestling, lax, hockey, and hoops. The one hole is football. Let's bring it back!
Right. I don't want Cornell to become Ohio State. And this shouldn't be too much to hope for.

Posted by: Swampy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 09:09PM

Al DeFlorio
CAS
Right. I don't want Cornell to become Ohio State. And this shouldn't be too much to hope for.

Yeah, but you have to admit it would be a real trip to do something in football like the basketball team in the Sweet 16 year.

Date: July 20, 2011 09:14PM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio
CAS

Yeah, but you have to admit it would be a real trip to do something in football like the basketball team in the Sweet 16 year.

I'll be happy to see the Big Red win an Ivy League football championship outright, something that's never happened before.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 21, 2011 03:42PM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio
CAS

Yes it would. Too bad it's impossible. Cornell could go undefeated in football, winning every game by 20 points and we still wouldn't get any real exposure because 1) we play A Div 1-AA scheudle (or FCBFCBFS or whatever) and 2) we can't play in the postseason.

Posted by: Red bird (72.158.101.---)
Date: February 19, 2013 05:24PM

Yes, she was wearing a seat belt, and it was due to distracted driving! It amazes me how quickly people can comment on a topic they know nothing about. The car rolled 4 times and the driver wasn't free and clear of injury.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2013 06:08PM

Red bird
Yes, she was wearing a seat belt, and it was due to distracted driving! It amazes me how quickly people can comment on a topic they know nothing about. The car rolled 4 times and the driver wasn't free and clear of injury.

Maybe I was wrong, but this quote from the article made me think that it was poor driving skills.

As the two realized they were about to pass the necessary exit, West swung the steering wheel to the right to try and make the off-ramp.

The car began to topple, so West flipped the steering wheel in the opposite direction which made the car even more unstable and caused it to roll to the left four times.

Read more: [www.vcstar.com]
- vcstar.com

She saw that she missed the exit and tried to compensate, but blew it. At least, that's how it seemed from reading the article.

Posted by: ugarte (63.115.136.---)
Date: February 20, 2013 11:12AM

Jim Hyla

She saw that she missed the exit and tried to compensate, but blew it. At least, that's how it seemed from reading the article.
That's what distracted driving is. She wasn't paying attention to where she was and overreacted to almost missing (missing, really) her exit.

I mean, obviously it wasn't "good" driving but the difference between "distracted" and "bad" is what caused the situation: she wasn't trying to cut someone off or weaving or speeding. She was paying attention to a phone call instead of the mile marker and was surprised by the exit.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2013 11:15AM

KeithK
Yes it would. Too bad it's impossible. Cornell could go undefeated in football, winning every game by 20 points and we still wouldn't get any real exposure because 1) we play A Div 1-AA scheudle (or FCBFCBFS or whatever) and 2) we can't play in the postseason.

In fact, Penn had teams that did just that in the 80's, and just as you say they were completely ignored.

Which to be honest is a good thing, because the "ESPN college sports" (football, basketball) are a cesspool.

All I want from Cornell football and basketball is .500-ish competence punctuated by one or two runs at the conference title per decade. Basically, Colgate hockey.
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 11:19AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 10:40AM

Trotsky
All I want from Cornell football and basketball is .500-ish competence punctuated by one or two runs at the conference title per decade. Basically, Colgate hockey.
So: Free pizza for students who attend.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 11:14AM

billhoward
Trotsky
So: Free pizza for students who attend.
Works for me. It's depressing to see the Crescent with only 600 people in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login