Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schoellkopf Field to get new video scoreboard

Posted by Ken711 
Schoellkopf Field to get new video scoreboard
Posted by: Ken711 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 01:26PM

A new large video scoreboard is being constructed over the summer in time for this season's football season, as well as for the 2011-12 lacrosse programs.

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Schoellkopf Field to get new video scoreboard
Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 02:41PM

I hope that the football team gets to use it but I fear that the first highlight will be during lax season.

Date: June 19, 2011 02:50PM

ugarte
I hope that the football team gets to use it but I fear that the first highlight will be during lax season.

Actually, Andy Noel was interviewed on Sidelines last week and said it will be completed in early August to allow time for practice and preparation, so we should be in good shape for the football season.

[www.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 04:42PM

Ken711
ugarte

Actually, Andy Noel was interviewed on Sidelines last week and said it will be completed in early August to allow time for practice and preparation, so we should be in good shape for the football season.

[www.cornell.edu]
I think you missed ugarte's point.;-)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 04:50PM

I just hope we can keep it functional if we host any lax regionals.

Date: June 19, 2011 05:10PM

Al DeFlorio
Ken711
ugarte

[www.cornell.edu]
I think you missed ugarte's point.;-)

Sorry... I missed the "highlight" point. :-}

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2011 08:42AM

Who's paying? Haven't seen any news stories about it. It's a good idea. This kind of thing is also a lightning rod for profs and departments feeling the pinch.

Date: June 20, 2011 09:39AM

billhoward
Who's paying? Haven't seen any news stories about it. It's a good idea. This kind of thing is also a lightning rod for profs and departments feeling the pinch.

Noel said it was paid for by football and lacrosse supporters.

Date: June 20, 2011 03:59PM

I was about to say something snippy like the football supporters didn't see the need for a tens column for the Home Score ... but maybe things are finally looking up for them. We've had a decade (several decades) of dashed hopes with new coaches. Kent Austin may be the difference-maker.

Posted by: RedDog (---.dhcp.plbg.ny.charter.com)
Date: June 21, 2011 08:53AM

I believe Austin was a driving force behind raising funds for the project.....

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 21, 2011 04:05PM

To incite applause in the crowd, can we get a graphic of two seemingly gloved hands clapping slowly? Please?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2011 03:02PM

Scersk '97
To incite applause in the crowd, can we get a graphic of two seemingly gloved hands clapping slowly? Please?

BRUIT!!!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 22, 2011 05:58PM

jtwcornell91
Scersk '97

BRUIT!!!

Had to read it closely. For a minute I thought you were advertising a cologne. whistle

Date: August 17, 2011 03:43PM

Time lapse of the new video scoreboard going up can be seen at:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: August 17, 2011 05:26PM

Ken711
Time lapse of the new video scoreboard going up can be seen at:

[www.facebook.com]

Wow, it's incredible seeing the process of going from no scoreboard to no scoreboard zoom by like that!

Worst. Timelapse. Ever.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 05:27PM by Jordan 04.

Date: August 17, 2011 06:07PM

More photos of the new video scoreboard construction and football practice.

[www.cornellbigred.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2011 10:35PM

Huggy bear is immortalized.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: August 18, 2011 01:20PM

Maybe they can play a different game on the scoreboard to attract spectators. :-)

Posted by: CUontheslopes (207.99.17.---)
Date: August 19, 2011 11:38AM

Hey - I'm very pleased to have a replay board. Sneeze and miss a goal in lacrosse and you have no idea what happened. Over the last few years, the school has done a great job with Schoellkopf: new addition to the fieldhouse, new turf, new video board. It's a great place to see a game. Now if only we had something to cheer about on the football side of things. It kills me to see such a huge stadium so empty...

Date: August 19, 2011 11:47AM

CUontheslopes
Hey - I'm very pleased to have a replay board. Sneeze and miss a goal in lacrosse and you have no idea what happened. Over the last few years, the school has done a great job with Schoellkopf: new addition to the fieldhouse, new turf, new video board. It's a great place to see a game. Now if only we had something to cheer about on the football side of things. It kills me to see such a huge stadium so empty...

I agree having followed Cornell football for over 40 years. Developing a consistent winning program will surely help, something I hope Coach Kent Austin will establish.

Re: Schoellkopf Field to get new video scoreboard - how good?
Date: September 19, 2011 07:37AM

So how was the scoreboard in person? Did you need sunscreen? Does this by chance give Cornell the ability stream more ads?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 07:38AM by billhoward.

Re: Schoellkopf Field to get new video scoreboard - how good?
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2011 10:34PM

Tom Fleischman of The Ithaca Journal wrote

And of course, the university debuted its new video scoreboard, a 40-foot-high, 38-foot-wide behemoth with a 18-by-31 video screen as its centerpiece. It showed game action and replays, panned the stands, found the "Fan of the Game," quizzed the attendees on Cornell trivia and generally provided an alternate form of entertainment.
Of the 73 photos accompanying the article, #16 shows the scoreboard, and it appears in the distant background of a few of the last photos.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 10:38PM by David Harding.

Posted by: CornellChris (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 04:17PM

Yes, there were a few ads. Both Ciao Pizza & Pasta (with which I wasn't familiar) & Time Warner got text ads at the bottom of the scoreboard throughout the game. They also played one actual commercial a couple times during breaks in the action. I'm totally blanking on the product, but it's an ad you would have seen on TV. Overall, nothing too annoying.

They're still working out the kinks. For example, I don't think they know how a "kiss cam" is supposed to work, but they'll get there. Standard graphics like the clapping Mickey Mouse hands, crazy dancing bobble head characters, and the "noise meter" were all present.

It really does add to the gameday experience though. I was surprised how much it enhanced my enjoyment of the game (although winning obviously helps).

Date: September 22, 2011 01:09PM

Strongly, strongly disagree.

The scoreboard, as currently controlled, detracts from the gameday experience by presenting a loud, annoying sideshow of crap, including the "kiss cam," Clarkson-style clapping hands, and everything else that makes me puke. If they could keep it to replays and information on the players, I'd have no problem with it.

And commercials? Fuck me. I was more than pleased when a commercial came on while I was making my way through the "Motto Cheer." To my mind, a perfect example of how overzealous use (or uses) of the scoreboard make it tougher to be an involved, spirited fan.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2011 01:31PM

Scersk '97
And commercials? Fuck me. I was more than pleased when a commercial came on while I was making my way through the "Motto Cheer." To my mind, a perfect example of how overzealous use (or uses) of the scoreboard make it tougher to be an involved, spirited fan.

Dude, not that I don't agree with you in principle, but entire football head coaching tenures at Cornell have been briefer than you making your way through the "Motto Cheer."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.nmmlaw.com)
Date: September 22, 2011 02:21PM

Scersk '97

The scoreboard, as currently controlled, detracts from the gameday experience by presenting a loud, annoying sideshow of crap, including the "kiss cam," Clarkson-style clapping hands, and everything else that makes me puke. If they could keep it to replays and information on the players, I'd have no problem with it.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Ok is some of the sideshow stuff annoying? Sure, but it's outweighed 1000x over by being able to see a replay. I can't tell you how many times (particularly in lacrosse) I'd wished I'd been able to see a replay. How many times at a lax game have you seen the net flutter, cheered and then turned to the person next to you to ask, "What just happened?"

For kids and lukewarm fans, all the silly stuff improves their experience. They generally like it. The more we can do to get those tepid fans into the stadium the better. For me, I'm just happy to have a replay.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 22, 2011 03:39PM

CUontheslopes
For kids and lukewarm fans, all the silly stuff improves their experience. They generally like it. The more we can do to get those tepid fans into the stadium the better. For me, I'm just happy to have a replay.
No! We must sneer derisively as possible at the lukewarm fans for their foolish, foolish opinions and drive them form our midst!

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2011 03:42PM

KeithK
We must sneer derisively as possible at the lukewarm fans for their foolish, foolish opinions and drive them form our midst!

That would make an awesome forum thread title.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (60.169.86.---)
Date: September 22, 2011 09:06PM

Beeeej
KeithK
We must sneer derisively as possible at the lukewarm fans for their foolish, foolish opinions and drive them form our midst!

That would make an awesome forum thread title.

Or a University motto.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 10:42AM

"I would found an institution where the rest of you can pound sand."

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: September 23, 2011 03:22PM

Trotsky
"I would found an institution where the rest of you can pound sand."
Pretty sure that's the motto at Cato.

Posted by: CornellChris (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2011 11:37PM

Scersk '97

I obviously disagree, but I respect any opinion that believes "it should be about the game." However, we had a great crowd (although half of it leaving at halftime during an entertaining game was... curious). I do think that everyone in attendance, including those less "die hard" than you and me, had a wonderful time, and the scoreboard is partially to thank for that. I think a lot of those people will come back for a non-Homecoming game this season, and that makes me happy. The players deserve a crowd.

To your point though, they did use the scoreboard to flash "player cards" with student-athlete pictures and pertinent info. I think we can both agree that this, at least, is an appropriate use of the technology.

Date: September 25, 2011 10:18PM

CornellChris
To your point though, they did use the scoreboard to flash "player cards" with student-athlete pictures and pertinent info. I think we can both agree that this, at least, is an appropriate use of the technology.

Yes. But to address CUontheslopes, who seems grateful that good (replays) has come along with the bad ("kiss cam" ), one wonders why we have to take the good with the bad. I blame the Nintendo generation and their enablers.

Enormous screens corrupt absolutely something something.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2011 10:18PM by Scersk '97.

Date: September 26, 2011 10:45AM

Scersk '97
CornellChris

Yes. But to address CUontheslopes, who seems grateful that good (replays) has come along with the bad ("kiss cam" ), one wonders why we have to take the good with the bad. I blame the Nintendo generation and their enablers.

Enormous screens corrupt absolutely something something.

My comment is not that I'm pleased to take the good with the bad, but rather that I'm willing to accept the cheesy graphic because I get instant replays. No serious fan of any sport is going to argue that replay does not enhance the fan experience. And as for the "bad," well there are some people (read: kids) who like that and if it puts a few more people in the stands, then just avert your eyes when it comes on - simple enough.

This board is just absurd sometimes with how it bashs the non-purists. I mean for God's sake, they can't even sell out Lynah anymore - maybe if the faithful weren't often so hostile to the "facetimers" a few more of them might turn into loyal fans. A full stadium's better than a half empty one, even if a few of those people like the kiss cam. Rant complete.

Date: September 26, 2011 11:47AM

The DAK scoreboard clapping hands and noise-o-meters are absurd but not as bad as a stadium or arena that isn't full. I for one would trade Lynah and its traditional scoreboard with the missing pixels (burned out bulbs) for the Quinnipiac rink or BU's rink. In an instant. Well, maybe not if you have to take the thundersticks as part of the deal.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 12:13PM

billhoward
I for one would trade Lynah and its traditional scoreboard with the missing pixels (burned out bulbs) for the Quinnipiac rink or BU's rink.

HERESY!!! :-O

Date: September 26, 2011 12:28PM

CUontheslopes
And as for the "bad," well there are some people (read: kids) who like that and if it puts a few more people in the stands, then just avert your eyes when it comes on - simple enough.

Actually, if it were just visual pollution, I wouldn't care so much. It's the noise. You have to understand who I am a bit to understand why I'm peeved: 4-year bandie and pep bandie, doctorate in musicology (dissertation on opera history), and audio purist.

To my mind, there were already enough sources of sound to provide the correct noise profile for a football game, so I detest the audio intrusions from the scoreboard, including piped-in rock music, commercials, and idiotic cheer prompts. That is, we already have fans, cheerleaders, and a (well-known and respected) band, so why do we need more noise?

Now, I understand the notion that probably goes through every well-meaning functionary's mind when approached about this stuff— "More noise will be even better!"—but that's not what happens. In my experience, piped-in noise creates docile fans who don't react to the game. And, as I mentioned above, we already have enough prompts. My directive to the fans: listen to the cheerleaders and band and react. We do it at Lynah, why not at Schoellkopf?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 12:29PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 26, 2011 02:26PM

- Cheerleaders?

- Forget it, he's rolling.

Date: September 26, 2011 04:08PM

Scersk '97
CUontheslopes
And as for the "bad," well there are some people (read: kids) who like that and if it puts a few more people in the stands, then just avert your eyes when it comes on - simple enough.

Actually, if it were just visual pollution, I wouldn't care so much. It's the noise. You have to understand who I am a bit to understand why I'm peeved: 4-year bandie and pep bandie, doctorate in musicology (dissertation on opera history), and audio purist.

To my mind, there were already enough sources of sound to provide the correct noise profile for a football game, so I detest the audio intrusions from the scoreboard, including piped-in rock music, commercials, and idiotic cheer prompts. That is, we already have fans, cheerleaders, and a (well-known and respected) band, so why do we need more noise?

Now, I understand the notion that probably goes through every well-meaning functionary's mind when approached about this stuff— "More noise will be even better!"—but that's not what happens. In my experience, piped-in noise creates docile fans who don't react to the game. And, as I mentioned above, we already have enough prompts. My directive to the fans: listen to the cheerleaders and band and react. We do it at Lynah, why not at Schoellkopf?

I find the absolute most annoying part of any Cornell football game to be the band splitting up into sections and playing from different parts of the stadium. It comes across as them being more interested in themselves than the game. It's distracting and annoying. The pep band on the other hand is much more into the game on a regular basis.

Date: September 26, 2011 09:03PM

When Cornell sends the band on the road, as it did to Yale, they provide all the decibels and entertainment Cornell fans could want. The only thing missing was a W at the end of the game.

Yes, when the band splits up and plays from different sections, there is an element of "hey, look at me, I'm showing off." Still, it's entertaining.

If there's one thing the band could work on, it's clarity on the part of the announcer. For decades there have been games where I have been unable to fathom what the announcer said. Legibility comes and goes: "And now, the Big Red Marching Band forms a [muphlbl garble] in honor of [sceeeeeech] by playing [redacted]." Sometimes it's the PA system but in Yale Bowl the Yale announcer came through perfectly. Even though he had nothing to say and the band followed to perfection. I'm not sure if the Yale band formed a very limp "Y" Saturday or a fallopian tube and either is a possibility when the Yale team swarmed up the base of the Y. (Look, we all see inkblots differently.) The Yale halftime act had something to do with Romeo and Juliet, so it could go either way.

[clear]
Yale band forming a, probably, letter Y

Sorry to diss this one part of the band. I love seeing them at games, or the pep band, or even a couple of band alums with a pair of trumpets and a cowbell. Nothing like a 30-piece pep band showing up at Princeton for lacrosse and they're only band at the stadium. I hope potential Princeton lax recruits take notice of which school and which band cares more. We love you, Big Red Band.
[clear]
Big Red band at Yale

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 09:28PM

billhoward
For decades there have been games where I have been unable to fathom what the announcer said. Legibility comes and goes: "And now, the Big Red Marching Band forms a [muphlbl garble] in honor of [sceeeeeech] by playing [redacted]."
I'd be happy if they'd just drop the unnecessary and pretentious "And now..."

Date: September 27, 2011 12:02PM

Robb
- Cheerleaders?

- Forget it, he's rolling.
Too bad there is no rec'd on this board.

Date: September 27, 2011 01:05PM

billhoward
Yes, when the band splits up and plays from different sections, there is an element of "hey, look at me, I'm showing off." Still, it's entertaining.

It's annoying, distracting and self-absorbed. No one but the band (or perhaps some of you band alums) likes it. I'd take 1,000 clap meters before I had to hear annoying blare of trumpets serenading each other across the stadium without regard for what was going on in the game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 01:17PM

CUontheslopes
billhoward

It's annoying, distracting and self-absorbed. No one but the band (or perhaps some of you band alums) likes it. I'd take 1,000 clap meters before I had to hear annoying blare of trumpets serenading each other across the stadium without regard for what was going on in the game.
I disagree, there is someone, me.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 01:52PM

CUontheslopes
without regard for what was going on in the game.
I suspect that anything that distracts from the game is probably in the interest of improving attendance.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 05:59PM

CUontheslopes
billhoward

I think some band traditions have arisen from all the years of football mediocrity and needing to make their own fun at games.

Posted by: rmandel (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 08:23PM

I live in Atlanta, and both the Georgia Tech and Georgia bands split up and roam around the stadium right after halftime. It is just something that "real" marching bands do.

Date: September 28, 2011 09:10AM

rmandel
I live in Atlanta, and both the Georgia Tech and Georgia bands split up and roam around the stadium right after halftime. It is just something that "real" marching bands do.
It's Atlanta. They're foraging for food.

Date: September 28, 2011 09:11AM

imafrshmn
I think some band traditions have arisen from all the years of football mediocrity and needing to make their own fun at games.

Hmm.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 09:12AM by Trotsky.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:39PM

For the sake of ECAC hockey, this was a band practice, not a game at Brown, right? There is nobody in the opposite stands.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 07:21PM

billhoward
For the sake of ECAC hockey, this was a band practice, not a game at Brown, right? There is nobody in the opposite stands.

The only time I saw them skate, it was after a game, and it took them a while to make their way to the ice and lace up. Even though it was announced during the game, most fans at Brown leave before or immediately after the final buzzer.

Date: September 29, 2011 01:53AM

imafrshmn

Ding, ding, ding! Some games are best appreciated from the top of the Biotech Building.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 29, 2011 09:04AM

Scersk '97
Ding, ding, ding! Some games are best appreciated from the top of the Biotech Building Chapter House.
FYP.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:02AM

Robb
Scersk '97
Ding, ding, ding! Some gamessports are best appreciated from the top of the Biotech Building Chapter House.
FYP.
FYP.

Date: September 29, 2011 11:00AM

RichH
billhoward

The only time I saw them skate, it was after a game, and it took them a while to make their way to the ice and lace up. Even though it was announced during the game, most fans at Brown leave before or immediately after the final buzzer.
I have seen them skate under those circumstances, after the game, in their band uniforms. They were bad musicians and worse skaters, but IMHO it was a very cool thing to do and I wish they'd continue the tradition.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 11:02AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2011 09:32AM

At least it doesn't have any flying animals.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2011 10:02AM

Yes, but can anybody tell me where I'm supposed to get on my feet?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2011 04:43PM

Jim Hyla

At least it doesn't have any flying animals.

Needs more Space Bears.

ETA: also, what's with the students walking around campus Charlie Chaplin style? Does that inspire people these days?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 05:26PM by jtwcornell91.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login