Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 30- Iowa State 16, Wrestling

Posted by jkahn 
Cornell 30- Iowa State 16, Wrestling
Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 01:19PM

Match starts at 141 with Nevinger (CU) getting a forfeit
Kyle Dake pins his opponent at 149, Cornell leads 12-0
D. J. Meagher pinned by his opponent, lead now 12-6
Eifert beaten 9-4, lead now 12-9
Lewnes beaten 7-6 by #1 ranked and undefeated Reader, match tied 12-12
Bosak gets pin, Cornell leads 18-12
Simaz wins 14-6 (major dec.), leads 22-12
Lane beaten 9-1 (major dec.), lead now 22-16
Perrelli wins 10-2 (major dec.), leads 26-16, match clinched
Grey wins 19-8 (major dec.), final 30-16

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 03:07PM by jkahn.

Re: Cornell - Iowa State Wrestling
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 01:25PM

Getting caught in a headlock twice in a match and then pinned on the second one is pretty rough for Meagher.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 03:53PM

Jacob '06
Getting caught in a headlock twice in a match and then pinned on the second one is pretty rough for Meagher.
Both times he was on offense but came in sloppy and got countered. Meagher is clearly the better wrestler but not so much better that he could afford to be careless. The first time he gave up back points, the second time the pin. I appreciate that he was aggressive but he has to have better balance. Lewnes and Bosak gave up takedowns the same way, much to my disappointment (though Bosak more than made up for it.) Lewnes came back strong in his match and I think he should feel confident that a rematch would be another down-to-the wire finish but, to be honest, Reader looked like the stronger of the two (not technically, just physically stronger.)

This was a convincing win but it should have been bigger. Aside from Reader ISU didn't seem like a very strong team.

Was I the only person getting frustrated with the broadcast team? Among the errors: MD is 8 or more points, not "7 or more"; it was not Grey's first match this season; they spent the entire second period of the Eifert match (IIRC) talking as if it were the third period (claiming locked up RT, acting as if the match was over when the buzzer sounded). And just casually wrong about so many minor things throughout the match. Yeesh.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2011 04:23PM

ugarte
Jacob '06
Both times he was on offense but came in sloppy and got countered. Meagher is clearly the better wrestler but not so much better that he could afford to be careless. The first time he gave up back points, the second time the pin. I appreciate that he was aggressive but he has to have better balance. Lewnes and Bosak gave up takedowns the same way, much to my disappointment (though Bosak more than made up for it.) Lewnes came back strong in his match and I think he should feel confident that a rematch would be another down-to-the wire finish but, to be honest, Reader looked like the stronger of the two (not technically, just physically stronger.)

This was a convincing win but it should have been bigger. Aside from Reader ISU didn't seem like a very strong team.

Was I the only person getting frustrated with the broadcast team? Among the errors: MD is 8 or more points, not "7 or more"; it was not Grey's first match this season; they spent the entire second period of the Eifert match (IIRC) talking as if it were the third period (claiming locked up RT, acting as if the match was over when the buzzer sounded). And just casually wrong about so many minor things throughout the match. Yeesh.

Meagher's match was frustrating. He was fortunate the first time not to be pinned; the second time was over so quickly it seemed like a blink of an eye.

Dake certainly didn't look ill today.

What about the ISU coach going off on Ward (I think it was Ward). I'm old-school but that looked abusive.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 05:26PM

ugarte
Jacob '06

Agree completely on the announcers - couldn't keep track of of period it was, and even had trouble with the match score. I thought Bosak's pin was a quick call. It was good to win by more than 12 so we can say the forfeit didn't matter.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2011 09:45PM

ithacat
What about the ISU coach going off on Ward (I think it was Ward). I'm old-school but that looked abusive.
The coach was pissed off because his wrestler - a top 15 guy - was gassed early in the second period. The wrestler had already gotten a stall point for dragging himself back to center after going out of bounds and called a time out himself to catch his breath. He just wasn't trying very hard against Simaz, which is a crazy way to approach the match. I didn't think it was abusive; I didn't see any profanity (and I was looking) just a whole lot of "get your head in the game" stuff.

jkahn
I thought Bosak's pin was a quick call.
The guy wasn't really arching his back, just rocking back and forth. He probably touched both blades down more than once. That said, I was surprised at the whistle too. If the whistle hadn't blown it might have taken Bosak another three or four seconds to get the pin...

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2011 11:00PM

ugarte
ithacat
The coach was pissed off because his wrestler - a top 15 guy - was gassed early in the second period. The wrestler had already gotten a stall point for dragging himself back to center after going out of bounds and called a time out himself to catch his breath. He just wasn't trying very hard against Simaz, which is a crazy way to approach the match. I didn't think it was abusive; I didn't see any profanity (and I was looking) just a whole lot of "get your head in the game" stuff.

I didn't mean verbally abusive -- he put his hands on him multiple times, appeared to push his chin up, grabbed his singlet, and seemed a bit too aggressive. I watched the replay and the camera missed the beginning of the conference. I'm sure he was just being supportive.

Ward was the only one replaced in their later match against Binghamton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login