Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Tamboni to Penn State

Posted by laxman 
Tamboni to Penn State
Posted by: laxman (---.kbw.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 04:01PM

Inside lax just broke the story. How hurtful? Why?

Re: Tamboni to Penn State
Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: June 17, 2010 05:08PM

I saw this post and assumed it was in jest. Sorry to say it appears to be true. It's stunning and disappointing, but no one should be "hurt" by his decision. PSU must have made an incredibly lucrative offer to Tambroni, and he had to look out for what's best for his family. I'm sure he agonized over the decision, as all indications are that he had a great love for Cornell and the Ithaca community.

Let's just hope that whether it's Ben DeLuca or someone else taking over, he is able to maintain the program among the elite. The good news is the next coach will have great talent to work with.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 05:11PM

Yep, reported by the Cornell Sun, too.

Disappointing, but only for the team. I can't begrudge a guy a chance to take a bucket of money when someone throws it at him.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 05:56PM

wow :-/

Stunned.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 06:19PM

Josh '99
wow :-/

Stunned.

I'm slaughtered by this news.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 06:24PM

Is Penn State any good at LAX? I only follow college LAX come tourney time, I don't really recall much about them. I wonder what their budget is versus Cornell's LAX budget. I'm sure he has his reasons but at first blush does this seem like a step forward or backward?

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 06:45PM

RatushnyFan
Is Penn State any good at LAX? I only follow college LAX come tourney time, I don't really recall much about them. I wonder what their budget is versus Cornell's LAX budget. I'm sure he has his reasons but at first blush does this seem like a step forward or backward?

From the IL article:

The Nittany Lions made the NCAA Tournament twice under Thiel but never advanced past the first round, falling to Towson 11-6 in 2003 and fell to Maryland 14-10 in 2005. The squad finished 2-11 in 2010.

There are some EXCELLENT comments at that article already, btw. The one by "Dan Freshman" especially sums up my feelings perfectly.

This is more stunning than Tierney to Denver. Pietramala leaving was hurtful too, but that was understandable. It just doesn't make sense at first gloss. One IL commenter mentioned that Tambroni's wife was an All-American at Penn St. and wonders if part of the deal is to get her a coaching job at her Alma Mater, while elevating DeLuca. PSU got rejected by Lars Tiffany at Brown last week, so they make a run at the biggest Ivy name next?

Who knows, maybe Tambroni was becoming frustrated on the recruiting trail always running into scholarship and admission roadblocks to really scoring the top-line talent he finds. But this just smells of a money throwing event by another BCS school with near-limitless resources. If "big-time" college money has now hit college lax enough to draw a coach like that away from a situation he had set up in Ithaca, then I'm throwing my hands up now.

Goddammit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 06:46PM by RichH.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 06:58PM

The Colonial Conference? #40 on LaxPower rankings? Ouch.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 07:16PM

RichH
Who knows, maybe Tambroni was becoming frustrated on the recruiting trail always running into scholarship and admission roadblocks to really scoring the top-line talent he finds. But this just smells of a money throwing event by another BCS school with near-limitless resources. If "big-time" college money has now hit college lax enough to draw a coach like that away from a situation he had set up in Ithaca, then I'm throwing my hands up now.

Goddammit.

If frustrated, then why pull out of the Maryland job? I'm totally shocked. I thought his next job would be Syracuse.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 07:49PM

Especially puzzling, and disappointing, after this in last Tuesday's Ithaca Journal:

"It's a great tradition down there, a great package with the compensation and coaching an extremely talented group of kids," he [Tambroni] said. "When it came to Maryland versus Cornell, and this is no disrespect to Maryland, I think I'm in a good place here. There's lots to be said for employee satisfaction.

"Our administration does a great job of taking care of our program. For me personally and my family, I think Maryland versus Cornell was made a little bit easier on our enjoyment of Ithaca and the people at Cornell."

So much for "employee satisfaction."

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 08:24PM

I guess there's awfully big piles of money down in State College.

Tough loss. Best of luck to him.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 09:49PM

I find that I am having a hard time being truly upset by this. Jeff Tambroni is a great human being and an amazing coach. He would have continued to grow a successful program at Cornell, but he also now has the opportunity to build a great program at Penn State and presumably he was given an offer he couldn't refuse. I wish Jeff and his family all the best in their new adventure.

Is Cornell lacrosse going to suffer as a result of Tambroni's decision to leave? Maybe. Is the program doomed to fail? No way! There has been no official announcement at this point, but I would be truly shocked if Andy Noel named someone other than Ben DeLuca as the new head coach. DeLuca has been a key player in the current success of this program and he has the credentials to be a head coach. Just as Tambroni stepped in to take over from Dave Petramala, DeLuca will seamlessly take over from Tambroni. He is an outstanding recruiter, a tremendous coach and a person who has first-hand knowledge of what it takes to succeed as a Cornell lacrosse player. Knowing the relationships between the key players in this drama, I can only believe that this is a win-win for everyone associated with Cornell lacrosse. Jeff Tambroni gets a new challenge. Ben DeLuca gets a shot at a head coaching position -- at his alma mater. And Cornell Athletics doesn't have to stress over the hiring process.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 10:28PM

I'm sick. I've learned that you can never underestimate the ability of people to disappoint you, but I guess Coach Tambroni owes none of us anything, in fact we owe him, but still....
It's interesting that he said the Maryland program did not match the Cornell program in his mind, but can he truly say the Penn State program does????
Follow the money. It's really a shame that a school like Cornell can't pay more than Penn State. Who's endowment is bigger?
At the end of the day, is it really the university and the athletic department that we should be pissed at?
Just searching for answers.
Truly happy that DeLuca is here but I hope we don't blow it with him as well.

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 10:34PM

seriously Coach T?!? PSU ... really???

my first reaction is that i'm more than shocked b/c of his professed "love" of CU (and GB) and all that is Cornell lax.

second, his publicly professed "love" of CU (and GB) and all that is Cornell lax.

third ... the one thing anyone who knows this guy is that despite what he tells the world, his ego is HUGE! i'm shocked but not surprised that he would jump ship ... but to PSU?!?!? really ... i mean c'mon they're terrible. they've never been more than a one-hit-wonder in college lax.

best of luck, i guess ... here's to hoping we can find a solid replacement. would have been a great pick up Tillman but it looks like we were a day late and a dollar short on that one.

LGR!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 10:48PM by ben03.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 01:08AM

The Ithaca Journal has more player interviews, including confirmation of Tambroni's wife's interest in resuming coaching field hockey.

"Don't really have a reaction right now," said Pannell, who was named 2010 USILA Attackman of the Year as a sophomore. "Kind of in shock a little bit. Kind of upset, but coach Tambroni, he has his reasons for doing it. I'm behind him and support his decision."

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: June 18, 2010 07:40AM

Once I learned that his wife was a PSU grad, and that she will apparently return to coaching field hockey there in some capacity, the entire picture crystallized. Total speculation on my part, but I don't think he takes that job under different circumstances.

I wish him all the best, and if DeLuca is elevated to the top job I think we'll be just fine.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 07:49AM

In some ways not unlike the Tierney deal at Denver, where his son was apparently part of the package.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 08:07AM

From Syracuse Post-Standard:

A source said that about 10 days ago Tambroni turned down the job at Penn State, as did another Central New York product, LaFayette native Lars Tiffany, the head coach at Brown. Tambroni then reacted to a report that he was a finalist for an opening at Maryland by saying he had been contacted by the school but did not agree to an interview.

That job went to John Tillman, the former Harvard head coach and ironically a Cornell alum. The source said Penn State, upon hearing the deal the Terps offered Tillman, went back to Tambroni with a substantially sweetened proposal.
It will be interesting to see what his wife does. She was never a great coach at CU and it must have been hard to not coach and stay in Ithaca.

I hope our two high profile coaching losses will turn some of those heads who think we can easily compete nationally in any sport. The same kind of pressures we have getting and keeping coaches are reflected in recruiting. Those who think Coach Schafer could easily get those blue chip recruits need to look at this. It makes you think about how fortunate we are to have him and some others as long time coaches.

I have to believe his wife was the deciding factor, but who am I to say. Obviously money was involved, but Maryland must have offered more. Maybe his wife, money, and the chance to build, while not being under the Baltimore gun, were just too much.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 09:44AM

I hope our two high profile coaching losses will turn some of those heads who think we can easily compete nationally in any sport. The same kind of pressures we have getting and keeping coaches are reflected in recruiting.

Sadly, the same could be said about most top-performing faculty/staff at Cornell. I still was shocked when one of my favorite tenured professors bolted for an endowed chair at Michigan State.

His parting email (posted without comment)
Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: June 18, 2010 09:50AM

Here's Tambroni's email blast to the lax mailing list:

To the Cornell Lacrosse community:

This was one of the more difficult emails I have written during my 10 years as Head Coach of Cornell. I am writing, however, to inform you that I have recently accepted an offer to become the Head Coach of Penn State’s lacrosse team.

I would like to thank Vice President Dr. Susan Murphy and Mr. Andy Noel for the opportunity to coach one of the greatest traditions in all of sport. Dr. Murphy and Mr. Noel’s leadership has been instrumental in the success of our program and their passion for Cornell Lacrosse has been undeniable.

I also wanted to thank you for embracing my family and me over the past 10 years. We did not know what to expect when we walked on campus 10 years ago but we will be leaving Cornell with the utmost respect and heartfelt love for the Cornell Lacrosse family. I will cherish every day of my tenure as head coach and could not have been more proud to walk the sidelines as the Richard M. Moran Head Coach of Lacrosse. The Cornell Lacrosse family is a special group (one of a kind) and I am hopeful that my family and I will always be welcome.

We have given all that we could over the past ten years and have become life long Cornell fans. Cornell will be in GREAT hands when it names its next head coach and I am confident that Coach Ben DeLuca ’98, who has had so much to do with our success, will be given that chance. Ben has sacrificed a greater part of his adult life in an attempt to make Cornell a better place to play.

I wish you the best of luck and will always root alongside my wife and kids for Cornell. It was an incredible honor to be a small part in the great tradition of Cornell Lacrosse. I am confident that it will continue to grow stronger than ever.

From the bottom of our collective hearts (my wife Chelle and our 3 daughters Carissa, Madison and Ella) would like to say - THANK YOU!

Jeff

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 10:03AM

As an ILRie, I see this as an HR problem. If we maintain our current policies, Cornell will merely be a funnel for other institutions who are willing to pay higher salaries for more achieved faculty. A lot of our funding are wasted in the unnecessarily-bureaucratic nature of this institution, and the administration moves too slowly to correct these structural errors. I really hope someone wakes up in Day hall next semester and do something about this rather than just sitting behind a desk, answering phone calls from 9 to 4, and then taking home a $200k paycheck.

Re: His parting email (posted without comment)
Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 02:40PM

As an ILRie, I see this as an HR problem. If we maintain our current policies, Cornell will merely be a funnel for other institutions who are willing to pay higher salaries for more achieved faculty.

It is an HR problem or an athletic policies problem?

A lot of our funding are wasted in the unnecessarily-bureaucratic nature of this institution, and the administration moves too slowly to correct these structural errors. I really hope someone wakes up in Day hall next semester and do something about this rather than just sitting behind a desk, answering phone calls from 9 to 4, and then taking home a $200k paycheck.

I'm not certain if there's a structural error in athletics funding. Cornell as an institution clearly does not want to devote the resources that the Big 10 or the ACC have pledged to athletics. That's why the Ivy League was created, after all. And frankly, I agree with these policies. I don't think Cornell gets all that much more out of having a Cornell-caliber lacrosse team as opposed to a UVa-caliber lacrosse team. To pay Tambroni half a million dollars a year (or Donahue a million dollars a year) would be a waste of money, in my opinion, relative to the faculty, student aid, or research support the University should be investing. Of course, if you would like to provide the multi-million dollar endowment to see Tramboni stay here, that's another story.

I don't disagree with you that there are some major structural errors with Cornell's administration. But it's a lot more complicated than it appears at first glance. Witness what happened last week -- the provost starts talking about moving AEM out of the Ag School to better not only business education on campus but also the Ag School's appeal to students interested in natural resources and the environment, and then boom! -- $25 MM to keep AEM in the Ag School.

I highly doubt anybody in Day Hall is making $200k a year just to answer phone calls. The senior administration really hustles.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 04:07PM

mnagowski
the provost starts talking about moving AEM out of the Ag School to better not only business education on campus but also the Ag School's appeal to students interested in natural resources and the environment
Off-topic, but I'm interested in this end of the story, because what you wrote doesn't make any sense to my mind without backing context. Can you provide a link? I was unable to find anything that didn't relate to the $25M donation.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 04:07PM

mnagowski

As an ILRie, I see this as an HR problem. If we maintain our current policies, Cornell will merely be a funnel for other institutions who are willing to pay higher salaries for more achieved faculty.

It is an HR problem or an athletic policies problem?
Maybe it's an athletics HR problem? I saw a previous post where it mentioned that good professors also leave for more alluring jobs so it could be a systematic HR comp policy that's affection turnover rates. I don't have studies but better employment policies definitely helps retention.

A lot of our funding are wasted in the unnecessarily-bureaucratic nature of this institution, and the administration moves too slowly to correct these structural errors. I really hope someone wakes up in Day hall next semester and do something about this rather than just sitting behind a desk, answering phone calls from 9 to 4, and then taking home a $200k paycheck.

I'm not certain if there's a structural error in athletics funding. Cornell as an institution clearly does not want to devote the resources that the Big 10 or the ACC have pledged to athletics. That's why the Ivy League was created, after all. And frankly, I agree with these policies. I don't think Cornell gets all that much more out of having a Cornell-caliber lacrosse team as opposed to a UVa-caliber lacrosse team. To pay Tambroni half a million dollars a year (or Donahue a million dollars a year) would be a waste of money, in my opinion, relative to the faculty, student aid, or research support the University should be investing. Of course, if you would like to provide the multi-million dollar endowment to see Tramboni stay here, that's another story.

I don't disagree with you that there are some major structural errors with Cornell's administration. But it's a lot more complicated than it appears at first glance. Witness what happened last week -- the provost starts talking about moving AEM out of the Ag School to better not only business education on campus but also the Ag School's appeal to students interested in natural resources and the environment, and then boom! -- $25 MM to keep AEM in the Ag School.

I highly doubt anybody in Day Hall is making $200k a year just to answer phone calls. The senior administration really hustles.
I agree that spending too much on an athletics program does not make Cornell a better institution as a whole, but the sports fan in me that wants that reality. Quite frankly, we can just take Columbia's stance and focus completely on academics and ignore most of the athletics stuff - I guess it's a give and take situation where we have to chose one over the other. I was just trying to say that maybe we can cut some of the unnecessary structure to pay for a few good professors/coaches. A few more valuable faculty and coaches can go a long way for recruiting better students.

On the other hand, the example you cited about the AEM program has to do with alumni influence. Since people were educated in this somewhat segregated system before, they would want to keep it that way. The world is unfair and those would have more resources have more influence over decisions, so that is part of the risk that goes into making major structural changes.

Lastly, you're right about the $200k example, I was exaggerating. smashfreak I just wished people at Day had a bit more guts to make changes rather than sticking to the status quo. It's an oft observe shortfall of groups and bureaucracies.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 04:12PM

ajh258
A lot of the problem is one of the very things that many of us love about Cornell: Ithaca. Unless Cornell is willing to fund the founding of 3 or 4 other tier B and C colleges in the immediate vicinity, top-notch faculty/coaches with, uh... shall we say "less-achieved" spouses will always have an easier time finding an ideal situation elsewhere. No one flees from Cornell to Dartmouth: when they leave for a better offer, they go to cities.

Date: June 18, 2010 05:00PM

Kyle Rose
ajh258
A lot of the problem is one of the very things that many of us love about Cornell: Ithaca. Unless Cornell is willing to fund the founding of 3 or 4 other tier B and C colleges in the immediate vicinity, top-notch faculty/coaches with, uh... shall we say "less-achieved" spouses will always have an easier time finding an ideal situation elsewhere. No one flees from Cornell to Dartmouth: when they leave for a better offer, they go to cities.
Happy Valley is a city?:-D

Posted by: mnagowski (---.cluster-g.websense.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 05:29PM

Kyle Rose
mnagowski
the provost starts talking about moving AEM out of the Ag School to better not only business education on campus but also the Ag School's appeal to students interested in natural resources and the environment
Off-topic, but I'm interested in this end of the story, because what you wrote doesn't make any sense to my mind without backing context. Can you provide a link? I was unable to find anything that didn't relate to the $25M donation.

[www.metaezra.com]

Date: June 18, 2010 05:32PM

Kyle Rose
ajh258

The dual-career problem is a really good point. Sometimes I wish that Ithaca was a Madison or Charlottesville-sized city with better employment options that didn't revolve around the higher-education industry. Want to start a high-tech firm in Ithaca, Kyle?

Date: June 18, 2010 05:36PM

Lastly, you're right about the $200k example, I was exaggerating. I just wished people at Day had a bit more guts to make changes rather than sticking to the status quo. It's an oft observe shortfall of groups and bureaucracies.

I think Day Hall would have the guts to make more changes if they controlled more of the money. Right now everything but Arts and Engineering is like a separate little financial fiefdom, and you get bizarre outcomes like the Hotel School hiring yet another professor of hospitality marketing while the Arts college continues to cut already bare-bones programs in theatre or foreign languages. The budget model Day Hall is proposing would hopefully change some of this.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2010 05:40PM

Redscore
It's interesting that he said the Maryland program did not match the Cornell program in his mind, but can he truly say the Penn State program does????
Follow the money. It's really a shame that a school like Cornell can't pay more than Penn State. Who's endowment is bigger?

Maybe Cornell thinks there are more appropriate things to spend endowment return on than a coach's salary?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 10:57PM

Team budgets and coaches' salaries are public records at state universities, so sooner or later we'll know the package that lured him away.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 11:33PM

Tambroni confirms to the The Ithaca Journal that it was all about an opportunity for his wife:

Jeff Tambroni said his decision to leave Cornell for Penn State was not motivated by money or any "flaw or fault" with his Ivy League home of 12 years -- it was simply about family.

"It was an agonizing decision to say the least," Tambroni said Friday, after he was named Penn State's men's lacrosse coach Thursday night in a stunning move.

Tambroni's wife, Michelle, was a standout field hockey player at Penn State in the early 1990's. From 1997 to 2002, she coached Cornell's program but has been idle since while raising the couple's three children.

She'll have an opportunity to contribute to Penn State's field hockey program in some capacity with the move, although there's no specific role for her at the moment.

"It felt like it was a chance for our family, for my wife and I to both pursue our goals," Tambroni said.

Date: June 19, 2010 12:38AM

David Harding

"It felt like it was a chance for our family, for my wife and I to both pursue our goals," Tambroni said.

well i guess we know who wears the pants in that family ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 12:38AM by ben03.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 02:51AM

mnagowski

Lastly, you're right about the $200k example, I was exaggerating. I just wished people at Day had a bit more guts to make changes rather than sticking to the status quo. It's an oft observe shortfall of groups and bureaucracies.

I think Day Hall would have the guts to make more changes if they controlled more of the money. Right now everything but Arts and Engineering is like a separate little financial fiefdom, and you get bizarre outcomes like the Hotel School hiring yet another professor of hospitality marketing while the Arts college continues to cut already bare-bones programs in theatre or foreign languages. The budget model Day Hall is proposing would hopefully change some of this.

From what you said and the metaezra article about the AEM donation, it's clear that Day doesn't have the guts to say no to money. This is really pathetic. Although the donation was sizable, are the marginal gains really worth further delineating other departments in different schools? How does a new building on the ag quad or hiring more finance professors compare to the broader cuts that other academic departments have to suffer? What happened to "...any person...any study"? I guess as long as "any"="business" or "finance," it's still true.

Additionally, it's a shame that some alumni are more concerned about "protecting their turf" than doing what's best for the University. I'm not asking for communism here but is it really that awful to integrate and optimize? Our country was founded upon the "Join or Die" ideal and these wealthy alumni should know that you don't run a successful business by simply throwing more money at a deteriorating systems.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 02:52AM by ajh258.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 07:31AM

A sad day. Its becoming increasingly clear that if we want to compete on a national level in athletics, the athletic dept. is going to have to increase the endowments for some key coaching positions, e.g. basketball and lacrosse so we don't just become a coaching conduit for other schools. It's incredibly frustrating to lose coaches to other schools. I understand the money was probably key and an opportunity for his wife to coach, but damn you Cornell, fire the field hockey coach to keep Tambroni. Who the hell cares about field hockey? Go ahead, jump on me. I don't care and I don't care about women's athletics in the slightest. Obviously no one else at Cornell does either since field hockey draws about 14 non-family fans a match. After Donahue's departure, I consoled myself with the notion that at least we wouldn't lose Tambroni because lacrosse isn't a big money sport like basketball. Turns out I was wrong. The Ivy League really really really needs a TV contract of some sort to get SOME money into the athletic budgets so we could get a little bit more $$$ to keep our coaches.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 19, 2010 08:12AM

CUontheslopes
A sad day. Its becoming increasingly clear that if we want to compete on a national level in athletics, the athletic dept. is going to have to increase the endowments for some key coaching positions, e.g. basketball and lacrosse so we don't just become a coaching conduit for other schools. It's incredibly frustrating to lose coaches to other schools. I understand the money was probably key and an opportunity for his wife to coach, but damn you Cornell, fire the field hockey coach to keep Tambroni. Who the hell cares about field hockey? Go ahead, jump on me. I don't care and I don't care about women's athletics in the slightest. Obviously no one else at Cornell does either since field hockey draws about 14 non-family fans a match.
As unpopular as most of the women's teams are spectator-wise, spectators are the least important aspect of collegiate athletics. Sports are about the players' personal development: giving a team a crappy coach simply so that coach's husband will remain on-campus is about the most insulting notion I can imagine.

After Donahue's departure, I consoled myself with the notion that at least we wouldn't lose Tambroni because lacrosse isn't a big money sport like basketball. Turns out I was wrong. The Ivy League really really really needs a TV contract of some sort to get SOME money into the athletic budgets so we could get a little bit more $$$ to keep our coaches.
I think you've got that backward: someone would have to pay a TV station $$$ to carry the Ivy League's crappy games. Tell me: did you fail basic economics, or simply skip that class?

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2010 10:24AM

Even if the athletic department had an unlimited budget, Cornell simply is not going to give a head coach a salary that is out of step with what the tenured faculty are making.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 10:47AM

Kyle Rose
CUontheslopes
A sad day. Its becoming increasingly clear that if we want to compete on a national level in athletics, the athletic dept. is going to have to increase the endowments for some key coaching positions, e.g. basketball and lacrosse so we don't just become a coaching conduit for other schools. It's incredibly frustrating to lose coaches to other schools. I understand the money was probably key and an opportunity for his wife to coach, but damn you Cornell, fire the field hockey coach to keep Tambroni. Who the hell cares about field hockey? Go ahead, jump on me. I don't care and I don't care about women's athletics in the slightest. Obviously no one else at Cornell does either since field hockey draws about 14 non-family fans a match.
As unpopular as most of the women's teams are spectator-wise, spectators are the least important aspect of collegiate athletics. Sports are about the players' personal development: giving a team a crappy coach simply so that coach's husband will remain on-campus is about the most insulting notion I can imagine.

After Donahue's departure, I consoled myself with the notion that at least we wouldn't lose Tambroni because lacrosse isn't a big money sport like basketball. Turns out I was wrong. The Ivy League really really really needs a TV contract of some sort to get SOME money into the athletic budgets so we could get a little bit more $$$ to keep our coaches.
I think you've got that backward: someone would have to pay a TV station $$$ to carry the Ivy League's crappy games. Tell me: did you fail basic economics, or simply skip that class?

Wait, did Kyle and I just agree about something?

Date: June 19, 2010 02:26PM

Kyle Rose
CUontheslopes

Did you skip basic civility or are you just a jackass? I could give a rat's ass about women's field hockey (as could 99.99% of Cornellians) and I frankly don't care what you think is insulting. I'm all for women's field hockey and I'm all for having as many varsity sports as practicable. That said, I'd much rather have Tambroni still here and keep a sport in which we have risen to national promenade clicking. Obviously Cornell didn't think his wife was too bad of a coach since they hired her once. I agree on the narrow point that just because a team doesn't draw fans doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. However, the converse is also true. Sports which make money and pay the athletic department's budget should get precedence. Do you think Duke wouldn't give Mrs. K a job if it kept Coach K in town? Lacrosse makes money. Period. Do what it takes to keep it going.

As far as a tv station goes, Versus carries Ivy football and Ivy basketball in the wake of Cornell's recent success would not be an impossible sell at all. Cornell basketball is a hot ticket and has some cache value. Now's the perfect time to try to get a contract. Any, even limited amount of exposure would help. You know what you'd have to pay people to put on tv? ANY women's field hockey game.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 02:32PM

CUontheslopes
Kyle Rose
CUontheslopes

Did you skip basic civility or are you just a jackass? I could give a rat's ass about women's field hockey (as could 99.99% of Cornellians) and I frankly don't care what you think is insulting. I'm all for women's field hockey and I'm all for having as many varsity sports as practicable. That said, I'd much rather have Tambroni still here and keep a sport in which we have risen to national promenade clicking. Obviously Cornell didn't think his wife was too bad of a coach since they hired her once. I agree on the narrow point that just because a team doesn't draw fans doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. However, the converse is also true. Sports which make money and pay the athletic department's budget should get precedence. Do you think Duke wouldn't give Mrs. K a job if it kept Coach K in town? Lacrosse makes money. Period. Do what it takes to keep it going.

As far as a tv station goes, Versus carries Ivy football and Ivy basketball in the wake of Cornell's recent success would not be an impossible sell at all. Cornell basketball is a hot ticket and has some cache value. Now's the perfect time to try to get a contract. Any, even limited amount of exposure would help. You know what you'd have to pay people to put on tv? ANY women's field hockey game.

I'm guessing lacrosse makes Cornell very little money if it makes it any. I also would venture a guess that the ivy league is paying versus to broadcast the football games, not the other way around.

EDIT: Heres an article about the struggles to find sponsorship for Ivy games on Vs. I guess the schools aren't necessarily paying for the coverage, but it sounds like they aren't actually receiving any money either. [thedp.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 02:37PM by Jacob '06.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2010 05:26PM

The Ivy League does encompass the New York, Boston and Philadelphia TV markets. That's 3 of the top 10 markets covered by 8 teams. If the Pac10+2 is excited about adding the SLC TV market, it's reasonable that if athletics were given more priority, then the League could score a sizable TV contract.

Date: June 19, 2010 05:44PM

Jacob '06
CUontheslopes
Kyle Rose
CUontheslopes

I'm guessing lacrosse makes Cornell very little money if it makes it any. I also would venture a guess that the ivy league is paying versus to broadcast the football games, not the other way around.

EDIT: Heres an article about the struggles to find sponsorship for Ivy games on Vs. I guess the schools aren't necessarily paying for the coverage, but it sounds like they aren't actually receiving any money either. [thedp.com]
a f
Having talking to the higher ups in athletics dept., I can tell you that lacrosse makes a fair amount of money, which is not surprising given the crowds it sometimes draws - 7,000+ for Syracuse. Pton drew 12,000 plus a few years back and I believe over 10,000 last year. Not too shabby. Men's basketball, hockey, lacrosse (and in good attendance years) and football make money.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 06:03PM

CUontheslopes
Jacob '06
CUontheslopes
Kyle Rose
CUontheslopes

a f
Having talking to the higher ups in athletics dept., I can tell you that lacrosse makes a fair amount of money, which is not surprising given the crowds it sometimes draws - 7,000+ for Syracuse. Pton drew 12,000 plus a few years back and I believe over 10,000 last year. Not too shabby. Men's basketball, hockey, lacrosse (and in good attendance years) and football make money.

Here are the attendance figures for this year:
army- 519
binghamton- 321
virginia- 1640
Yale- 217
Harvard- 2986
Syracuse- 7235
Brown- 2125

15043 total

Assuming that every single one of those tickets was a full price $10 adult ticket (unlikely) ticket sales brought them in a whopping $150,430. I assume thats maybe enough to pay a coach or two?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 06:56PM

Jacob '06
CUontheslopes
Having talking to the higher ups in athletics dept., I can tell you that lacrosse makes a fair amount of money,

15043 total

Assuming that every single one of those tickets was a full price $10 adult ticket (unlikely) ticket sales brought them in a whopping $150,430. I assume thats maybe enough to pay a coach or two?
There are other potential sources of revenue. They might count concessions sold at games. There might be a payout for making it to the tournament (not sure if lax works that way or not). More importantly, I would bet that they include alumni donations when determining whether a program earns money or not, since what matters to the AD is whether the program is a a drain on the sports budget or not.

As usual with college athletics it all depends on how you count the various colors of money.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2010 09:31PM

KeithK
Jacob '06
CUontheslopes
Having talking to the higher ups in athletics dept., I can tell you that lacrosse makes a fair amount of money,

15043 total

There are other potential sources of revenue. They might count concessions sold at games. There might be a payout for making it to the tournament (not sure if lax works that way or not). More importantly, I would bet that they include alumni donations when determining whether a program earns money or not, since what matters to the AD is whether the program is a a drain on the sports budget or not.

As usual with college athletics it all depends on how you count the various colors of money.
But when you add in all the equipment, travel ,and everything else, I don't think any CU sports make a lot of money. Certainly the whole department loses money. I'm with Kyle on all this, WTFhelp, CU athletics exists for the student athlete first, fans second, and money last. It's why the Ivies generally have more D1 sports than any other universities. If we start going the way of the money schools, which seems like some want, we would drop sports. That would be a shame. As much a hockey fan as I am, I enjoy reading the CU athletic website and their posting about all the sports. I'm proud of the fact that we can compete nationally in some sports, and field teams in so many sports. Having gone to UMich, and living in Syracuse, I understand what happens when you go big time. I don't want it.

Some seem to think we can keep all we have and still compete in all ways with the big boys. Won't happen, can't happen. If we can get great coaches who form strong ties to the U like Schafer, Moran, Koll, and maybe DeLuca, we will be successful. Those coaches respect what the Ivys stand for, enjoy their work, enjoy living here, and likely will stay. A coach like Donahue, who has big time aspirations, will leave.

I'm reading the book "Enough" by John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard Funds. It's out in paperback; I'd recommend it to everyone.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 10:47PM

I don't disagree with you Jim. I was just suggesting that it could be true that Cornell lacrosse makes money, depending on how you do the accounting. Even if it is in the black it doesn't mean that we should ditch all of the "minor" sports in favor of pouring cash into lacrosse or basketball or hockey. (Well, maybe hockey :-D).

Date: June 19, 2010 11:27PM

It strikes me as more insulting to call Michelle Tambroni a "crappy coach" than it is to suggest Cornell attempt to find a role for her within the current field hockey program in order to retain her husband.

(But if Kyle has personal knowledge of her coaching abilities, than I do apologize).

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 11:59PM

mnagowski
Wait, did Kyle and I just agree about something?
It happens. It's weird at first but you should remember that it is just as weird for him.

Jordan 04
It strikes me as more insulting to call Michelle Tambroni a "crappy coach" than it is to suggest Cornell attempt to find a role for her within the current field hockey program in order to retain her husband.

(But if Kyle has personal knowledge of her coaching abilities, than I do apologize).
Kyle wasn't commenting on Ms. Tambroni at all. He was responding to the general "fuck the things that aren't important to me" attitude in CUontheslopes' post, in which he was essentially indifferent to how good a coach she was as long as Jeff stuck around.

Luke 05
The Ivy League does encompass the New York, Boston and Philadelphia TV markets. That's 3 of the top 10 markets covered by 8 teams. If the Pac10+2 is excited about adding the SLC TV market, it's reasonable that if athletics were given more priority, then the League could score a sizable TV contract.
That would be important if the people who live in those cities but didn't go to an Ivy league school gave a fraction of a shit about Ivy league sports. They don't. Most Ivy League graduates grow out of the obsession that we all have.

Date: June 20, 2010 12:56AM

Kyle Rose has a vitally important point about the difficulty Cornell, Dartmouth, and other world class rural universities have attracting faculty when the spouse has a significant career also. (So long as the divorce rate stays around 50%, there's hope for Cornell.) I fantasize about what Ithaca would be like if Corning Glass was headquartered here.

If lacrosse makes money, I bet it's with the help of the endowed coaching positions. Both the heading coaching position and Ben DeLuca's former associate head coach position are endowed. If that's not part of the P/L, lacrosse could be in the black. Adding concession stand revenues to ticket sales is more like a rounding error on the head coach / asst coach salaries.

When Steve Donahue left, Andy Noel (or was it David Skorton?) said that a top coach's salary has to be in harmony with the salaries of top faculty who are at the pinnacles of their professions. It would be interesting if an alumnus was willing to raise the ante on a Jeff Tambroni or Mike Schafer to $250K or $350K. Would Skorton say, $250K yes, $350K no way? I suspect he would.

Some couples (real world people, not coaches) have a deal that this move is for his career and the next one is for hers. In academia it might mean that a rising star prof at Lafayette takes his next job at Columbia or Penn not Cornell or Dartmouth so the spouse has better career opportunities. Re the Tambronis, "We know who wears the pants in this family" is one way to see it. The other is that both are committed to each other and their joint success.

In Tom Wolfe's "I Am Charlotte Simmons," the 1999 book about a poor Carolina girl on scholarship at a Harvard-with-a-touch-of-Duke institution near Philadelphia, the DuPont U president believes that you don't make money on sports and you don't get more contributions in winning years, but somehow the prestige a successful program exudes makes it all worthwhile in ways you and the world appreciate but can't calculate. Cornell wouldn't be Cornell without hockey, basketball, lax, wrestling and even football, and the freaks of nature such as Colin Greening and his 3.95 GPA.

Date: June 20, 2010 08:38AM

ugarte
Jordan 04

Kyle wasn't commenting on Ms. Tambroni at all. He was responding to the general "fuck the things that aren't important to me" attitude in CUontheslopes' post, in which he was essentially indifferent to how good a coach she was as long as Jeff stuck around.
QFT.

Date: June 20, 2010 09:49AM

Ok, then it appears quite the straw man since I read CUontheslopes specifically speaking of retaining Tambroni, which would mean giving his wife, an all-American field hockey player and previous coach at this level, a coaching job in that sport. I didn't get the sense that if Tambroni was married to a blind monkey who had never picked up a field hockey stick in her life, that CUontheslopes would have been advocating handing her the head coaching job in order to retain Jeff.

In the end, it seems pretty simple: Penn State likely offered more a good bit more money, was able to offer Tambroni's wife a spot on the coaching staff, and Cornell, likely unable but even if able to match the financial package, saw a perfectly competent replacement in DeLuca such that "playing politics" with the field hockey coaching position was unnecessary.

Best of luck to all 3 new coaches.

Date: June 20, 2010 01:05PM

Jordan 04
Ok, then it appears quite the straw man since I read CUontheslopes specifically speaking of retaining Tambroni, which would mean giving his wife, an all-American field hockey player and previous coach at this level, a coaching job in that sport. I didn't get the sense that if Tambroni was married to a blind monkey who had never picked up a field hockey stick in her life, that CUontheslopes would have been advocating handing her the head coaching job in order to retain Jeff.
Really? Because what Kyle - and I - read was this:
CUontheslopes
I understand the money was probably key and an opportunity for his wife to coach, but damn you Cornell, fire the field hockey coach to keep Tambroni. Who the hell cares about field hockey?
In a subsequent post he hailed her adequacy (it would be a stretch to call it a ringing endorsement since he didn't care enough about women's lax to look up her resume until he got called out) but in a prior post, Jim Hyla stated that he didn't think much of her as a coach.
Jim Hyla
It will be interesting to see what his wife does. She was never a great coach at CU and it must have been hard to not coach and stay in Ithaca.
That's the context in which you should read Kyle's response to CUots, not with the hindsight of the discussion that followed. Discussion, I'll point out, in which CUots hasn't budged from caring more about getting to watch a winning lacrosse team than about any of the other priorities Cornell - as a school and as an athletics department - is supposed to have.

Team Kyle.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 07:39PM

Elie and I interviewed both Larry Quant, Associate Director of Athletics for Financial Operations and Anita Brenner, Associate Athletic Director during our junior and senior years for various reasons. They told us (on the record) that Athletics runs over $1 million operating budgets each year. Even if lacrosse turns a small profit, it gets lost in the larger Athletics budget.

The university made up the difference in years past, but considering the financial state of Cornell right now...well let's just assume there isn't any extra dough to pass around for raises. It's also my understanding that larger donations have essentially dried up, unless your last name is Weill, Tata or Dyson.

Date: June 20, 2010 08:31PM

Jordan 04
Ok, then it appears quite the straw man since I read CUontheslopes specifically speaking of retaining Tambroni, which would mean giving his wife, an all-American field hockey player and previous coach at this level, a coaching job in that sport.
What does that mean? Brian McCutcheon: 'nuff said.

And what Charles said above.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 05:23PM

While I deeply regret the loss of Tambroni my respect for him has risen. I think he probably told it like it was, the opportunity for his spouse first and money second were the driving factors. There are things in life that are important than beating Harvard, taking care of your mate is very high on the list. Taking care of your children is as well. I suspect he was looking at the same 50k+/yr tuition that many of us have had to pay and wanted the money to provide for his children. Yes, I know that if he stayed at CU his kids would have received a big discount but maybe he wanted more options for them.

Cornell does have a "What will my spouse do" problem. Upstate NY has been an economic backwater for decades and New York in general is not a place business are knocking down the door to move to, quite the contrary. If Corning moves it will be out of state not up Rt 13.

Good Luck Jeff, you have my gratitude for the great seasons you and the team had.

Date: June 22, 2010 11:57AM

Good points and you made them well enough without having to suggest there are more important things than beating Harvard.

Let's hope for more Cornell private sector spinoffs that employ MBAs and HR people and lawyers and analysts.

Let's hope the divorce rate stays aorund 50% and we catch big-city professors at Penn and Georgetown on the rebound, looking for a change of scenery.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.par.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 12:04PM

Well, the obvious answer is high-speed rail.

Date: June 22, 2010 01:10PM

I certainly don't want to diminish the unrivaled joy in a Cantab smack down.

Date: June 22, 2010 04:16PM

billhoward
Good points and you made them well enough without having to suggest there are more important things than beating Harvard.

Let's hope for more Cornell private sector spinoffs that employ MBAs and HR people and lawyers and analysts.

Let's hope the divorce rate stays aorund 50% and we catch big-city professors at Penn and Georgetown on the rebound, looking for a change of scenery.

I grew up outside of Albany and Rochester in the 50's and 60's when NY was the largest, wealthiest state in the Union. Sometime in the early 60's Nelson Rockefeller decided to create a European Welfare State in NY and raised personal and business taxes. I lived outside of Rochester when Xerox Exec's finally decided to move their HQ from Rochester to Stamford because the tax savings were so large. When I arrived as a newly minted Freshman in 1970 Morse Chain and NCR were large employers in Ithaca. They left.

The reality is that unless you use massive amounts of electricity upstate NY is not an economically attractive place to locate or expand your business, quite the opposite. High taxes, dis-functional State Govt, and balkanized local govt, and strong unions have lead to a steady decline particularly upstate. New York is one of the slowest growing states in the union. Between 1960 and 2000 NY ranked between 35th and 50th in population growth in the country. I live in Mass and we in Taxachusetts are a beehive compared to moribund NY.

Don't get me wrong, I love NY and remain a Yankees fan but I do grieve for the disastrous policies that have slowly eroded the Empire State. So I think the prospects for significant others employment in the area is particularly bleak, particularly if they are professionals or have specialized skills.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 11:50PM

billhoward

As long as they're either under 25 or not looking for a significant relationship with a person of their own age, Ithaca should suit them just fine. :p

Date: June 23, 2010 01:24AM

Some might see revisionist history here. Xerox' decision to leave had a lot to do with Rochester being Rochester and the difficulty of luring top-caliber employees. "Rochester is a great place to raise a family" is the last thing a newly minted MBA wants to hear. The Northeast is not much of a place to expand a manufacturing business, not just Rochester.

Morse Chain is now BorgWarner and they're in a new facility on Warren Road by the airport although they are as big as in 1970. A tiny stub of NCR remains today in Ithaca after about 3 changes of ownership but it's not significant in terms of employemnt.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 08:09AM

billhoward
Some might see revisionist history here. Xerox' decision to leave had a lot to do with Rochester being Rochester and the difficulty of luring top-caliber employees. "Rochester is a great place to raise a family" is the last thing a newly minted MBA wants to hear. The Northeast is not much of a place to expand a manufacturing business, not just Rochester.

Morse Chain is now BorgWarner and they're in a new facility on Warren Road by the airport although they are as big as in 1970. A tiny stub of NCR remains today in Ithaca after about 3 changes of ownership but it's not significant in terms of employemnt.

Yes, Rochester in the early 70's was a mixed blessing.

I lived in Webster (home of Xerox) at the time of the move and a few of my friends parents were some those exec's. Taxes were a major consideration. The quote I heard more than once was to the effect "The company can cut my pay and in Ct (no personal income tax at the time) I will take home significantly more and with what the company will save it will easily pay for the move". It was a win win situation for the company and exec's. At the time the top marginal tax rate was quite high in NY.

I don't want to claim that tax policy is the sole contribution to economic migration but it is a significant factor. NY and in particular upstate would not have sunbelt rates of growth under a different tax and regulatory regime but they might not be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of growth either. If you want instruction in the effects of different tax and regulatory attitudes compare the growth rates of Maine, Mass. and Vermont compared to New Hampshire. NH has been eating Massachusetts lunch for decades.

I made a call on a small company (~75 people) in Western NY and was talking with the President. I asked him how the company came to be where it was. He told me about how he had grown up in the area and founded the company there and that is why it was were it was. He then said "Nobody in their right mind would choose to locate in NY."

It took decades to run NY's economy down and it will take decades to recover even if wise growth encouraging policies (less policies actually) are enacted which is unlikely. So, Cornell will continue to have problems attracting faculty and staff from outside of the area.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 05:44PM

Tambroni. Tambroni. Can ex-coaches make the Spelling Guide, or is it just players, current coaches, and diseases? smashfreak

Date: June 24, 2010 12:16AM

TimV
Tambroni. Tambroni. Can ex-coaches make the Spelling Guide, or is it just players, current coaches, and diseases? smashfreak
It took all of my willpower to keep from correcting the spelling. I thought it was hilarious that it lasted unchanged for so long. I had to see how long it would last without comment.

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 08:36AM

Watch - people will now talk about Dave's "Zambroni."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 12:01PM

TimV
I thought it was an "Olympria".

Date: June 24, 2010 01:51PM

In basketball, let's leave it at moving pick.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2010 02:23PM

Josh '99
TimV
I thought it was an "Olympria".
I'd go with "Orympia" myself...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: July 05, 2010 07:49AM

From Inside Lacrosse, Tambroni to name Toner and Doctor as assistants.

Re: Tamboni to Penn State - first fall practice
Date: September 18, 2010 04:41PM

Just saw this on LaxPower

Thought this would be of interest to our lacrosse fans.

Sounds like these kids are in for a whole new world ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login