Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Just out......#25 in basketball

Posted by toddlose 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell's seeding in the tournament
Posted by: YankeeLobo (71.216.241.---)
Date: March 01, 2010 02:40PM

Lunardi's latest Bracketology has Cornell as a 12 seed vs Temple in New Orleans, which probably means that an 11 seed is about as good a seed as we can possibly get. Most likely we'll be a 12.

That loss vs Penn really cost us. Since there are a lot of good teams in college basketball this year, we'll most likely be facing a very strong team in the first round, a Tennessee/Temple type.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 03:33PM by YankeeLobo.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 01, 2010 02:54PM

YankeeLobo
Lunardi's latest Bracketology has Cornell as a 12 seed vs Temple in New Orleans, which probably means that an 11 seed is about as good a seed as we can possibly get. Most likely we'll be a 12.

That loss vs Penn really cost us. We'll most likely be facing a VERY good team in the first round.

I put no stock in the predicted matchups since so much will change, but that'd be some crap luck. The team against whom we are least likely to sneak under the radar.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2010 03:02PM

Yeah playing against Dunphy would not be a good thing but I dont see us flying under the radar no matter what we do since the national media keeps pointing us out. All an opposing coach has to do is show his team the Kansas tape and say look these guys almost broke Kansas' 50+ home winning streak, dont underestimate them

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2010 09:54PM

phillysportsfan
Yeah playing against Dunphy would not be a good thing but I dont see us flying under the radar no matter what we do since the national media keeps pointing us out. All an opposing coach has to do is show his team the Kansas tape and say look these guys almost broke Kansas' 50+ home winning streak, dont underestimate them
Kansas made Temple look like a high school team on the Owls' home court.

Date: March 01, 2010 11:25PM

True but that was just one game, just as Cornell's loss to Penn does not define what kind of team Cornell is. Although from looking at Temple's schedule they seem to have a few weird loses including St Johns at home but they did beat Villanova and are leading a very tough A10 conference this year

Re: Just out......#25 in basketball
Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 03, 2010 01:59PM

In the spirit of noting all Cornell shout-outs, Jay Bilas referenced Cornell, unprompted, during an interview on Tony Kornheiser's show yesterday. During a discussion on what it takes to win in the tournament, Bilas talked about front court size and called out Cornell and their "7 footer" who can score and defend and get fouled in the paint. He said he believed that gives Cornell as much of a chance to win a first round game as a higher-ranked, but undersized, team like Butler.

Date: March 03, 2010 03:37PM

Jordan 04
During a discussion on what it takes to win in the tournament, Bilas talked about front court size and called out Cornell and their "7 footer" who can score and defend and get fouled in the paint. He said he believed that gives Cornell as much of a chance to win a first round game as a higher-ranked, but undersized, team like Butler.
It does if Cornell tries to get the ball to Foote. Against Penn he took two shots from the field and had one free-throw attempt. That's called wasting a 7-footer on offense.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 03:58PM

Jordan 04
In the spirit of noting all Cornell shout-outs, Jay Bilas referenced Cornell, unprompted, during an interview on Tony Kornheiser's show yesterday.
Presumably Kornheiser just hadn't mentioned Cornell yet, because it seems safe to assume he would have eventually. B-]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 04:07PM

Josh '99
Presumably Kornheiser just hadn't mentioned Cornell yet, because it seems safe to assume he would have eventually. B-]

Today he was too busy lecturing gays on how to react to their victory in DC.

The best thing about Tony is the constant reminder not to go back to Long Island. :)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 09:13PM

Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
During a discussion on what it takes to win in the tournament, Bilas talked about front court size and called out Cornell and their "7 footer" who can score and defend and get fouled in the paint. He said he believed that gives Cornell as much of a chance to win a first round game as a higher-ranked, but undersized, team like Butler.
It does if Cornell tries to get the ball to Foote. Against Penn he took two shots from the field and had one free-throw attempt. That's called wasting a 7-footer on offense.

True, but the next night @ Princeton he became a key focus late in the game, as mandated by Princeton's defense on the perimeter. Hopefully those games were a learning experience.

Date: March 03, 2010 09:23PM

Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04

True, but the next night @ Princeton he became a key focus late in the game, as mandated by Princeton's defense on the perimeter. Hopefully those games were a learning experience.
I was speaking of last weekend's game at Newman against Penn, not the loss at the Palestra.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 09:58PM

Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04

I was speaking of last weekend's game at Newman against Penn, not the loss at the Palestra.
I don't sweat the individual performances or strategic quirks when we win by 20.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2010 10:34PM

Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04

They shot 43% from 3-point range at home against Penn. Those aren't the nights I want them dumping it into Foote on a regular basis. Also, I didn't watch the game, but perhaps Foote took fewer shots because the defense collapsed on him leaving shooters open at the 3-point line?

Date: March 03, 2010 11:05PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04

I don't sweat the individual performances or strategic quirks when we win by 20.
If Bilas is right about "front court size" and needing to "score and defend and get fouled in the paint" in order to "win in the tournament"--and I believe he is--then Cornell had better work the ball inside as they did against teams like Syracuse, Kansas, Alabama, Davidson, and St. John's. My point is there's no advantage to having a 7-footer who can "score and get fouled in the paint" if the offense doesn't get the ball to him there. I don't see that as a "strategic quirk," I see it as a strategic necessity in order to have a chance to win an NCAA game. If Foote can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Kansas's Cole Aldrich and win the MVP at the Holiday Festival, it just puzzles me when we go long stretches and sometimes entire games not taking advantage of his size and ability in the paint.

Date: March 03, 2010 11:19PM

Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04

If Bilas is right about "front court size" and needing to "score and defend and get fouled in the paint" in order to "win in the tournament"--and I believe he is--then Cornell had better work the ball inside as they did against teams like Syracuse, Kansas, Alabama, Davidson, and St. John's. My point is there's no advantage to having a 7-footer who can "score and get fouled in the paint" if the offense doesn't get the ball to him there. I don't see that as a "strategic quirk," I see it as a strategic necessity in order to have a chance to win an NCAA game. If Foote can go toe-to-toe with the likes of Kansas's Cole Aldrich and win the MVP at the Holiday Festival, it just puzzles me when we go long stretches and sometimes entire games not taking advantage of his size and ability in the paint.

I agree, it is weird how Foote disappears in some games when Dale, Wrobo do not try to get the ball inside to him. But I guess when they are making the 3's you just keep shooting until they go cold. But I do not think strategy will prevent them from winning a first round game, Donahue will have ready. I know this is irrelevant but ESPN still has us as a 12 seed, but now playing Georgetown instead of Temple, that would be a bad matchup with Georgetown's athleticism
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 11:20PM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 08:53AM

phillysportsfan
Al DeFlorio
ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04
Al DeFlorio
Jordan 04

I agree, it is weird how Foote disappears in some games when Dale, Wrobo do not try to get the ball inside to him. But I guess when they are making the 3's you just keep shooting until they go cold. But I do not think strategy will prevent them from winning a first round game, Donahue will have ready. I know this is irrelevant but ESPN still has us as a 12 seed, but now playing Georgetown instead of Temple, that would be a bad matchup with Georgetown's athleticism
I think I may have been misunderstood. I didn't mean that "not passing to Foote" is a strategic quirk. I meant "not passing to Foote when everything else is clicking, leading to a blowout" is a strategic quirk. It would be strange if Coach Donahue yelled to the team "stop doing that thing that is working and force the ball down to Foote!"

I agree that to beat the best teams Cornell will need Foote involved in the offense. I also think that how Cornell uses Foote against Penn is a bad barometer for how Cornell will utilize him against a better team.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 09:18AM

ugarte
I think I may have been misunderstood. I didn't mean that "not passing to Foote" is a strategic quirk. I meant "not passing to Foote when everything else is clicking, leading to a blowout" is a strategic quirk. It would be strange if Coach Donahue yelled to the team "stop doing that thing that is working and force the ball down to Foote!"

I agree that to beat the best teams Cornell will need Foote involved in the offense. I also think that how Cornell uses Foote against Penn is a bad barometer for how Cornell will utilize him against a better team.

Would you please stop elevating the level of this thread? cuss

Date: March 04, 2010 10:24AM

ugarte

I'm concerned with the trend that has Foote averaging five shots per game in the last six Ivy games, one of which was a loss and another two were three-point wins decided in the final minute. None of those three, nor the game at Harvard, were "blowouts" where "everything else" was "clicking." The Penn game that I cited (with two Foote field goal attempts) just happened to be the most recent of the six--and of the season.

I'd also point out that in the two NCAA games played by Wittman, Dale, Foote and company, Cornell has shot a combined 6 for 26 (23%) from behind the arc in the first half, and 30% overall. That's not a formula for wining a tournament game.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login