Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Sun's Glossary of Cornell Sports Terms

Posted by David Harding 
Cornell Sun's Glossary of Cornell Sports Terms
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2017 11:41PM

The Cornell Sun's Glossary of Cornell Sports Terms is not too bad, but completely dominated by names of coaches.

Re: Cornell Sun's Glossary of Cornell Sports Terms
Posted by: Ken711 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2017 10:58AM

Archer: David ’05. A student athlete himself back in the day and a man who has bled Red for years now, Archer is entering his fifth year as the head football coach of his alma mater. When Archer was hired in 2013, he became the youngest Division I head coach in the nation. Be on the lookout for that breakthrough season for the Red sometime in the near future.

Define near future.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2017 06:44AM

Holocene epoch (if ever)?

whistle

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.108.---)
Date: August 15, 2017 10:34AM

I.C.: Ithaca College, the school on the other hill. Division III kingpin in just about every sport. Nicknamed the Bombers, possibly because of an affinity for cheap Ithaca bars.

Is that really true? Honest question.

Noel: Andy. Current Cornell Athletic Director. Daily Sun favorite. Who doesn’t love Andy?

Guess they don't read this forum...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 10:34AM by CU2007.

Posted by: Weder (192.72.255.---)
Date: August 15, 2017 04:50PM

CU2007
I.C.: Ithaca College, the school on the other hill. Division III kingpin in just about every sport. Nicknamed the Bombers, possibly because of an affinity for cheap Ithaca bars.

Noel: Andy. Current Cornell Athletic Director. Daily Sun favorite. Who doesn’t love Andy?

Guess they don't read this forum...

IC isn't as strong in football and baseball as it used to be, but it finished 10th in the Division III Directors' Cup standings last year.

(Aside: Anyone know if they've ever expressed any interest in adding hockey? With so many DIII teams in New York, I've always wondered why they don't have it.)

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2017 12:37AM

Weder
CU2007

IC isn't as strong in football and baseball as it used to be, but it finished 10th in the Division III Directors' Cup standings last year.

(Aside: Anyone know if they've ever expressed any interest in adding hockey? With so many DIII teams in New York, I've always wondered why they don't have it.)
They already have 25 varsity sports for a student body of ~6,600. You can only spread your resources so far. There is a club ice hockey team that competes in the Upstate New York Club Hockey League.
The IC website devotes an inconclusive page to the origin of the name.

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: August 21, 2017 02:57PM

David Harding
The Cornell Sun's Glossary of Cornell Sports Terms is not too bad, but completely dominated by names of coaches.

Am I missing something? No Harkness?

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2017 04:58PM

Swampy
David Harding

I think deities fall under their own category.

:-D

Posted by: Swampy (---.163.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: August 22, 2017 03:30PM

Johnny 5
Swampy
David Harding

I think deities fall under their own category.

:-D

Ah, that also explains why no Pop Warner. But how do we explain George Seifert? Surely his record at Cornell makes him mortal, even though some in the San Francisco Bay Area think he at least qualifies as a demigod. Also, what about obvious mortals like Ben Deluca? Has he been the victim of some Stalinesque purge of history enacted by Andy Noel? And what about Petro, Tamboroni, and don't forget Dick Bertrand.

To change the subject slightly, wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall at the interview for the next football coach when they ask, "George Seifert's teams won two Superbowls and finished first in the NFC West 6 out of 8 times. But he couldn't win here, so what makes you think you can?"

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 23, 2017 08:31PM

The Sun's glossary might be the start of a larger glossary added to over time. The Sun editors in the Class of 2018 were born 3 years after Seifert won his second/last Super Bowl, in 1996. Their parents may have attended Cornell after Seifert coached on the Hill. When I was on campus in the seventies, I thought Cornell's football exploits of the early 1950s (like beating Michigan) were ancient history and not of interest (then).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 08:32PM by billhoward.

Posted by: rss77 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2017 10:38AM

Ithaca College had a varsity ice hockey team back in the 1960s and 1970s and played at Lynah Rink. They dropped the sport back sometime in mid-70s. I remember an acquaintance of mine at Cornell showing me the article in the Cornell Sun of IC's decision (He played on the ice hockey team at IC and transferred to Cornell for academic reasons as he did not play on CU's team). Rumor had that at one time IC was considering building a rink of their own but decided not after the City announced they were building the rink at Cass Park.

Posted by: jkahn (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2017 09:31PM

rss77
Ithaca College had a varsity ice hockey team back in the 1960s and 1970s and played at Lynah Rink. They dropped the sport back sometime in mid-70s. I remember an acquaintance of mine at Cornell showing me the article in the Cornell Sun of IC's decision (He played on the ice hockey team at IC and transferred to Cornell for academic reasons as he did not play on CU's team). Rumor had that at one time IC was considering building a rink of their own but decided not after the City announced they were building the rink at Cass Park.
The Cornell freshmen team used to play IC's varsity. I recall a 21 or 22-0 score.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2017 12:42PM

jkahn
rss77
The Cornell freshmen team used to play IC's varsity. I recall a 21 or 22-0 score.

Who won?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2017 10:59PM

Swampy
jkahn
rss77

Who won?
In 66 probably the freshmen.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: August 28, 2017 01:26PM

Trotsky
Swampy
jkahn
rss77

Who won?
I think Swampy's question was rhetorical, but yes, Cornell won. It was hard for the frosh to get competitive teams to play. There'd be mostly Jr. B teams from Canada on the schedule, such as the Dixie Beehives. In '69-'70 I saw Carlo Ugolini score 4 goals in 51 seconds, perhaps against Dixie. Two of them were unassisted where he won the faceoffs and proceeded to skate through the opponent and score.

Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 30, 2017 10:10AM

rss77

Wonder if they've ever considered adding it back. Could play in the conference with Utica, Nazareth, Elmira etc. All relatively local.

Date: September 03, 2017 11:30PM

jkahn
Trotsky
Swampy
jkahn
rss77

Who won?
I think Swampy's question was rhetorical, but yes, Cornell won. It was hard for the frosh to get competitive teams to play. There'd be mostly Jr. B teams from Canada on the schedule, such as the Dixie Beehives. In '69-'70 I saw Carlo Ugolini score 4 goals in 51 seconds, perhaps against Dixie. Two of them were unassisted where he won the faceoffs and proceeded to skate through the opponent and score.
Unassisted? Carlo would have told the refs he passed between the legs to himself and deserved an assist on the goal. His teammates ribbed him about trying to pick up assists. But he was a talented player.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: September 05, 2017 02:00PM

billhoward
jkahn
Trotsky
Swampy
jkahn
rss77

Who won?
Unassisted? Carlo would have told the refs he passed between the legs to himself and deserved an assist on the goal. His teammates ribbed him about trying to pick up assists. But he was a talented player.
It was John Fumio who always was looking for assists. He'd skate over to the scorer's box, even in freshmen games, and claim he touched the puck.

Date: September 07, 2017 02:15PM

jkahn
billhoward
jkahn
Trotsky
Swampy
jkahn
rss77

Who won?
It was John Fumio who always was looking for assists. He'd skate over to the scorer's box, even in freshmen games, and claim he touched the puck.
Can we agree they both felt underappreciated when they got a +1 but not an A? Fumio was most incensed when he deflected a puck into the net with his mouth, and the ref ruled it was a high stick. No goal, no assist, fewer teeth.

If Sun editors are reading this thread, they're wondering why anyone cares about some jock who's old enough to be their grandfather. Sort of like you and me waxing rhapsodic the Fifth Down game, which I always thought fell into the category of "neat but ancient history." My class ('74) this year just had its first legacy grandchild.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login