Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA lacrosse selection criteria

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
NCAA lacrosse selection criteria
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 05:39PM

Here's a thread started by hymie on laxpower describing apparent changes in the NCAA's selection criteria for lacrosse:

[network.laxpower.com]

Reads like whom you play still trumps all else.

Re: NCAA lacrosse selection criteria
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 12:07AM

Blech. Meaningless dribble. They just threw more criteria at it so they could make up whatever they want to get Syracuse and Hopkins in.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 09:27AM

>>> Selection Criteria. The men’s lacrosse committee will select and seed teams based on the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.3.3
• eligibility and availability of student-athletes.

Translation: If Hopkins' stud midfielder comes back from a strained knee late in the season and helps them to be on the bubble, they're in. If the ghost of Frank Resetarits comes back from injury to put Albany on the bubble, the committee in its wisdom - knowing northern schools really aren't yet at the caliber of the traditonal lacrosse powers, but maybe with another decade of grooming they might - can help Albany avoid an embarrassing potential first round loss by omitting them.

More seriously: The committee probably, almost certainly, is made up of well-meaning officials plus the elders-in-walkers who've gotten their reward after 30 years of lax committee obscurity. And they should have some room to maneuver to allow in a borderline team that they know has the chance to do well, or at least survive the first round. I think this has the potential to benefit northern schools more because we get a later start and develop momentum later on account of it being freakin' snowy until around March. Artificial turf and big field houses have done away with some of the disadvantages of being a Yankee lacrosse power. I was down in Virginia last weekend on college visits to some D-III powerhouses and flowers were already coming up.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 09:33AM

billhoward
I was down in Virginia last weekend on college visits to some D-III powerhouses and flowers were already coming up.
A criterion is needed that gives a team selection credits in inverse proportion to when flowers come up on its campus.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 12:35PM

billhoward
More seriously: The committee probably, almost certainly, is made up of well-meaning officials plus the elders-in-walkers who've gotten their reward after 30 years of lax committee obscurity.

Agreed. I humbly admit they are likely entirely well meaning people dealing with shitty criteria. But they also have their own personal built-in biases, as we all do.

And they should have some room to maneuver to allow in a borderline team that they know has the chance to do well, or at least survive the first round.

No, play by the same rules as everyone else. The NHL/MLB/NFL/NBA commish can't get a team into the playoffs because their star was out half the season and they didn't win enough games.

I think this has the potential to benefit northern schools more because we get a later start and develop momentum later on account of it being freakin' snowy until around March.

To darn bad ;). Play your early games away in the south, build a dome, or simply become Syracuse. Or, get a 'last 8' criteria or something (SoS weighted even) that gives credit for late-season surges. Then its the rule everyone's playing by. But fuzzy judgments aren't called for or needed. College hockey and every professional sport everywhere prove it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 12:48PM

Other advantages: Doesn't Syracuse graduate around say April 15? No classes the last month and a half of the season.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 02:27PM

DeltaOne81
No, play by the same rules as everyone else. The NHL/MLB/NFL/NBA commish can't get a team into the playoffs because their star was out half the season and they didn't win enough games.
Bud Selig certainly *could* try a stunt like this - best interest of the game clause and all. (Lord knows he has had more than his share of stupid ideas.) But such a move would be very obvious - standings printed in the local paper are pretty hard to miss. There would be such outrage from the fan and media community and the sport would presumably lose dollars as a result. In lax they've got the fig leaf of a convoluted selection criteria that is enough to make the majority of fans not see how absurd and biased the rules are. Plus, I doubt there's enough of a dollar effect for the powers that be to care that much. The bias certainly doesn't hurt revenues/interest from Maryland/irginia area lax fans.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 09:39PM

Good to see they're going backwards. Average RPI of wins? Average RPI of losses? If they're hell bent on subjectivity, the only way this is at all helpful is if the committee is made up of non-lacrosse types and the teams are coded. That way a bunch of folks who don't follow lax can seed the tournament blindly. Then they could fudge without (or at least with very limited) bias. Tell them to pick the top 16 teams and rank them. Then tell them the autobids. Of course it's much more likely they'd just get an objective system that doesn't treat SOS as the be all and end all before they do something like this.

In sum, congratulations UVA, SU, JHU, Duke, Maryland, Navy, etc. you've been invited to the 2009 tournament. The rest of you can fight for the other 10 or so spots.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 10:38AM

Syracuse has classes???

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 10:41AM

I don't think those two teams will need any help this year.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 03:46PM

billhoward
Other advantages: Doesn't Syracuse graduate around say April 15? No classes the last month and a half of the season.

Syracuse graduation is 2 weeks before ours. (or maybe 1... but not earlier than 2.)

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: February 23, 2009 05:47PM

Flyers1037
billhoward

Syracuse graduation is 2 weeks before ours. (or maybe 1... but not earlier than 2.)
Let me see if I can find that...

Ah - Saturday, May 9, 2009

:-D

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 11:18PM

Robb
Flyers1037
billhoward

I would think that what really counts is end of classes and end of exams. For SU, it's April 28 and May 6. respectively. For Cornell it's May 2 and May 15.

Posted by: Flyers1037 (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:37AM

Robb
Flyers1037
billhoward

Actually, it was really hard. panic That's why you had to do all the work for me and I just got to click a link. No typing involved, thanks for that! banana

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login