Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

A new home for the Big Red Bands

Posted by David Harding 
A new home for the Big Red Bands
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 12:56AM

The Cornell Chronicle announces that the Cornell bands will get a dedicated 6400 square foot, three story building "behind the Schoellkopf Crescent." Groundbreaking will be in 2012, "[T]he design phase is ongoing." Does anyone know more than the story says, such as where behind the crescent? (Google Maps areial of the area)

Re: A new home for the Big Red Bands
Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 01:06AM

At the luncheon to kick off the fundraising campaign during Homecoming, band alumni were told that it would be just to the north-northeast of the Schoellkopf Garage, where the trucks and equipment can be seen in that map. There was even a "Future Home of the Big Red Bands" banner on the fence during the tailgate.

Posted by: billhoward (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 09:52AM

Not that Cornell doesn't need a place to park trucks, but that's a very nice piece of land there, something you might not even notice in your four years at Cornell. The truck / maintenance garage seems kind of ramshackle; too bad Cornell can't spruce that up, too. I wasn't sure if the garage was being replaced to make way for the band facility or they're sited next to each other.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 10, 2011 12:07PM

Pardon my naievete, but bands?

There's more than one?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 12:13PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

There's more than one?

it's what the band(s) like to call themselves to make a distinction between the pep and marching

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.fcsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 10, 2011 03:50PM

The new building will be built on the slab that the current garage sits upon. The current slab is much larger than the garage itself. The ground floor of the new building will house the maintenance garage and the upper floor will house the band(s).

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 10, 2011 03:55PM

David Harding
The Cornell Chronicle announces that the Cornell bands will get a dedicated 6400 square foot, three story building "behind the Schoellkopf Crescent." Groundbreaking will be in 2012, "[T]he design phase is ongoing." Does anyone know more than the story says, such as where behind the crescent? (Google Maps areial of the area)

Off topic but why does the heating plant look blurred out in the Google satellite image?

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: October 10, 2011 03:56PM

imafrshmn
Jeff Hopkins '82

There's more than one?

it's what the band(s) like to call themselves to make a distinction between the pep and marching

Right. Not everyone in the Pep Band chooses to be in the Marching Band, and vice versa. Each organization has different priorities and offers different experiences when it comes to music selection, instrumentation, travel, frequency of events, athletics/coach communication, uniforms, and uh...the existence of marching. They also have their own set of member-elected student management & conductors.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 10, 2011 04:30PM

RichH
imafrshmn
Jeff Hopkins '82

There's more than one?

Right. Not everyone in the Pep Band chooses to be in the Marching Band, and vice versa. Each organization has different priorities and offers different experiences when it comes to music selection, instrumentation, travel, frequency of events, athletics/coach communication, uniforms, and uh...the existence of marching. They also have their own set of member-elected student management & conductors.

I always thought the pep band was a subset of the marching band. Live and learn.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: October 10, 2011 04:52PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
imafrshmn
Jeff Hopkins '82

There's more than one?

I always thought the pep band was a subset of the marching band. Live and learn.

When you were in school, that was true. I believe the Pep Band became a more independent organization in the late 1980s.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2011 04:53PM

nyc94
Off topic but why does the heating plant look blurred out in the Google satellite image?
Cornell's nuclear enrichment program is for peaceful purposes only.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2012 08:41PM

Sun article on Big Red Band Building.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 10:08PM

Trotsky
nyc94
Cornell's nuclear enrichment program is for peaceful purposes only.
"Where is it?"

"I have no idea! There's this blurry... oh, there it is."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login