Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schoellkopf Field's new artificial turf [no, not Lehman's 2004 graduation speech]

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
Schoellkopf Field's new artificial turf [no, not Lehman's 2004 graduation speech]
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 05:35PM

Check out the slideshow:
[www.cornellbigred.com]

Not sure how I feel about those end zones.....

Re: Schoellkopf Field's new artificial turf [no, not Lehman's 2004 graduation speech]
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2008 06:51PM

Ben Rocky '04
Check out the slideshow:
[www.cornellbigred.com]

It all looks a lot better than what we have now. Lacrosse is better on this as well. The surface plays more like grass than does the old surface. Ground balls don't speed off like before.

Re: Schoellkopf Field's new artificial turf [no, not Lehman's 2004 graduation speech]
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 08:08PM

I heart the end zones. dribble

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2008 11:35PM

Ben Rocky '04
Love 'em. That's what end zones are supposed to look like.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 12:00AM

I think the field looks sharp. Now, if something could be done about landscaping the rest of the bowl, installing a new scoreboard, adding some color to the bleachers, and updating the concourses & restrooms I'd be pretty happy.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 03:33AM

I haven't been back to a game in awhile so I forgot, what did the old endzones look like? Regardless, I like the new ones.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

I like the End Zones, but I don't like...
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: July 02, 2008 09:22AM

The C. It should be rotated 180 degrees to look right from the press box side, where the TV cameras (occasionally) are. doh

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: July 02, 2008 10:32AM

Josh '99
Ben Rocky '04
Love 'em. That's what end zones are supposed to look like.
I like the color; I don't love the font (too chunky) or letter size (too big). Still, the field as a whole looks great.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2008 11:26AM

The photos don't do it justice. It's really searing and not anything I would consider Cornell red. It's almost magenta. Or at least far closer to magenta than I'd like. But holy hell, it's bright.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: July 02, 2008 11:41AM

French Rage
I haven't been back to a game in awhile so I forgot, what did the old endzones look like? Regardless, I like the new ones.

The most recent incarnation was a plain, green, blank nothing. The school name, for some reason was placed beyond each end zone. I hated that.

[www.cornellbigred.com]

In addition, the "C" orientation was also facing the Crescent with the last turf:

One of the turf installations before that one had red block "CORNELL" in the green end zones and the "C" oriented to the Press Box.

I admit to being in love with the new end zones. Love the color, too. I wonder if FieldTurf resists fading more. It was kinda sad to see the green fade and the red "C" turn pink.

I assume the lacrosse & field hockey lines can be added later?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 12:00PM

RichH
Perhaps my happiness about the new end zones (other than admittedly not having seen the red in person to judge the color) is because I thought this old design looked unbelievably stupid.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 12:31PM

I'm actually only taking issue with 'BIG RED' instead of 'CORNELL' in the end zones. I like the font of the C in the middle, and the fake green looks way better than the faded stuff we had.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 02:33PM

Thank god there's no Huggie Bear.

Date: July 02, 2008 02:37PM

Ben Rocky '04
I'm actually only taking issue with 'BIG RED' instead of 'CORNELL' in the end zones. I like the font of the C in the middle, and the fake green looks way better than the faded stuff we had.
It looks like the north end zone says "BIG RED" and the south end zone says "CORNELL".

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 05:21PM

Scersk '97
Thank god there's no Huggie Bear.

I had the same reaction.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 06:34PM

Josh '99
It looks like the north end zone says "BIG RED" and the south end zone says "CORNELL".

Posted by: CKinsland (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 05:09PM

CowbellGuy
The photos don't do it justice. It's really searing and not anything I would consider Cornell red. It's almost magenta. Or at least far closer to magenta than I'd like. But holy hell, it's bright.

I've got to agree...my thought was "That's going to hurt to look at in bright sunlight" (it was a dim day when I was there). The person I was with and I were speculating that they hadn't sanded the field yet and that would dim the colors slightly...but this seems to be incorrect.

The colors are really, really strong.

CK

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2008 01:06PM

I assume as much.

That said, I was hoping with the new turf the grid iron lines wouldn't be present in the spring. That's probably too much to ask for, though.

Date: July 07, 2008 06:35PM

mnagowski

I assume as much.

That said, I was hoping with the new turf the grid iron lines wouldn't be present in the spring. That's probably too much to ask for, though.

Maybe there won't be field hockey lines since they have their own stadium?idea

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2008 09:01AM

Contrasting color end zones look cool, sort of, in football but they're confusing in sports where the playing surface extends more than 100 yards. Our local high school has blue end zones. Combine that with faded yellow markers for lacrosse and you can't tell from the stands if the player is in or out of bounds.

Maybe it's all about branding.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: July 10, 2008 11:07AM

There are so many reasons to be happy about this FieldTurf installation. Looks much better. Will help recruiting. No friggin' huggy bear. No more feeling like Cornell is being left behind by the competition. One less set of lines as a distraction (field hockey). Nice "C" at the 50 yard line.

But I still feel kind of sad every time I look at the pictures. I'll never be comfortable with black as a third color in any Cornell uniform or logo. Hate it. I can cope with black making an appearance in the occasional lame uniform redesign because I always hold out hope that it might change back to something more traditional in a year or two. But seeing the black highlights institutionalized in the end zones -- where we'll have to see it during every football and lacrosse game, no matter how old-school uniforms may become in the future -- is depressing.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 11:13AM

Hillel Hoffmann

I'll never be comfortable with black as a third color in any Cornell uniform or logo.
Amen, Hillel.

That has irritated me ever since some buffoon decided Cornell's colors weren't sufficient for its uniforms. Unis were red and white in the first half of the sixties and for some time thereafter, and looked great. Five Cornell teams won NCAA championships wearing those simple colors from 1967 through 1977. There was never any reason to mess them up with black--or, even worse, blue. Dopes.

Date: July 10, 2008 02:40PM

Al DeFlorio
Hillel Hoffmann

I'll never be comfortable with black as a third color in any Cornell uniform or logo.
Amen, Hillel.

That has irritated me ever since some buffoon decided Cornell's colors weren't sufficient for its uniforms. Unis were red and white in the first half of the sixties and for some time thereafter, and looked great. Five Cornell teams won NCAA championships wearing those simple colors from 1967 through 1977. There was never any reason to mess them up with black--or, even worse, blue. Dopes.
I dunno. As an accent color (not as a primary color), I don't have a problem with it. What does the fact that Cornell teams won championships in red and white have to do with the aesthetic merits of black?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 10, 2008 05:45PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
Hillel Hoffmann

Amen, Hillel.

I dunno. As an accent color (not as a primary color), I don't have a problem with it. What does the fact that Cornell teams won championships in red and white have to do with the aesthetic merits of black?

You don't fuck with tradition.drunk

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2008 08:30PM

Josh '99
I dunno. As an accent color (not as a primary color), I don't have a problem with it.

Simple test: Imagine the Cornell hockey sweater with black accents.

If that seems like a crime to you (and I hope it does), then consider that us geezers felt that same sense of violation of tradition when other Cornell teams adopted jerseys with black accents.

Date: July 11, 2008 09:58AM

I assume the upset is about the black around the block C and Big Red. Well, this old geezer says, so what. It is an accent not a basic color change and I bet it makes the white outline around the C clearer, especially when viewed from the top of the stadium. Maybe it is also better when viewed on TV. All in all, I like the new turf. Now, about those hockey jerseys....:-)

Date: July 11, 2008 11:21AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Josh '99
I dunno. As an accent color (not as a primary color), I don't have a problem with it.

Simple test: Imagine the Cornell hockey sweater with black accents.

If that seems like a crime to you (and I hope it does), then consider that us geezers felt that same sense of violation of tradition when other Cornell teams adopted jerseys with black accents.
It does, but I also think it would look awful on a Cornell hockey jersey whereas I think it works better on football/lacrosse/basketball gear.

Date: July 11, 2008 12:04PM

Put me down as an ixnay on the black.

To me the lack of black makes the red seem much more Carnelian as well.

Date: July 11, 2008 04:31PM

mnagowski

Wait... ew. The word "RED" has a black border, but the word "BIG" doesn't? That looks fucking stupid.

Date: July 11, 2008 04:45PM

Josh '99
mnagowski

Wait... ew. The word "RED" has a black border, but the word "BIG" doesn't? That looks fucking stupid.

Don't be silly. I Photoshopped it. Check out the blog.

EDIT: Okay. Now I Photoshopped the whole thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2008 04:56PM by mnagowski.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 10:44AM

>>> I'll never be comfortable with black as a third color in any Cornell uniform or logo.

Is there a chance we're just getting old and crotchety? It took a decade to get used to baggy basketball shorts and now the boxer-brief looking basketball shorts of the sixties/seventies look kind of weird, and the baggy shorts are now just shorts, not baggy shorts.

But yes, I'd rather the uniforms be red, white, no black.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2008 11:55AM

billhoward
>>> I'll never be comfortable with black as a third color in any Cornell uniform or logo.

Is there a chance we're just getting old and crotchety?
Sounds to me that Hillel--like me--didn't like the introduction of black (or blue or whatever) trim when it was done back in the 70s (Blackman may have done it first with football unis). So I don't think "old" has anything to do with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login