Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lacrosse conferences born

Posted by Hillel Hoffmann 
Lacrosse conferences born
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: June 10, 2008 03:31PM

After years of rumors, a Big East lacrosse conference will be announced this week. The seven member teams will be Georgetown (formerly of the ECAC), Notre Dame (GWLL), Providence (MAAC), Rutgers (ECAC), St. John's (ECAC), Syracuse (ending years of playing as an independent) and Villanova (CAA). Syracuse is expected to continue its annual game with Cornell. To those who care about the overall health of the sport at the collegiate level, the most promising aspect of the Big East's formation is the implied institutional commitment from Providence and Villanova. The Big East launches next season.

Last month, another new Division I men's conference was born: the Northeast Conference. Member teams will be Mount St. Mary's (grabbed from the MAAC), Quinnipiac (GWLL), Robert Morris (CAA), Sacred Heart (CAA), Wagner (MAAC) and D-I newbies Bryant. The NEC will debut in 2011.

Both conferences have enough members to earn their champions an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

The dispersal of CAA, ECAC, GWLL and MAAC teams will spark a frenzy of shopping and courtship as the teams left behind seek new conference affiliations.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 03:40PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Re: Lacrosse conferences born
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 07:02PM

Wow. Cool. One down, one to go. Now if only we could do something about the ACC.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 07:19PM

Wow, I'm surprised that SU was willing to forego their status as an independent (and its accompanying ability to pick and choose their schedule so as to virtually guarantee an at-large bid) in favor of conference schedule commitments to six schools.

Hillel, how will this affect the tournament picture, both next year and a few years down the road after the NEC starts play? Does it seem more likely that the schools who are now unaffiliated after the breakup of those four conferences will get pulled into existing conferences, or that we might see new conferences formed? (Including, I suppose, the possibility that Penn State and Ohio State might push for more Big Ten schools to take up lacrosse, with both now unaffiliated?)

There seem to be enough schools left over that the remnants of the CAA, ECAC and MAAC could form two more new conferences, with one picking up the Northern refugees (Hofstra, Hobart, UMass, Fairfield, Canisius, Manhattan,
Siena and Marist) and another picking up the new Southern unaffiliateds (Drexel, Delaware, Towson, Loyola, VMI, Saint Joe's - this actually seems pretty likely, with six being what you need for an autobid). The NEC might grab a couple of those, and I could see America East being interested in one or two as well, but there doesn't seem to be any overriding reason for the Ivy League, ACC, Patriot League or Big East to move beyond schools that they're already affiliated with in other sports.

The schools who are most out in the cold seem to be Denver, Air Force and Bellarmine. Unless they can find some more Western schools, they're going to have a tough time landing a conference. Air Force maybe has some cachet (especially in a sport that Army and Navy also play), but Denver's is basically limited to hockey AFAIK and Bellarmine has none at all. (Out of all these schools, they're the only one I actually had to look up to find out what state they're in.) Their best bet among existing schools would seem to be to sell PSU and OSU on a new, non-Big Ten conference and grab one more of the unaffiliated schools.

Sorry for the rambling. blush

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 07:23PM

DeltaOne81
Wow. Cool. One down, one to go. Now if only we could do something about the ACC.
What can you do about them, really, though? There's no reason for them to change (from their perspective), and even if you were to somehow force them to abandon their conference because it's not big enough, they'd still just put together the same schedules as they do now.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 07:26PM

Josh '99
DeltaOne81
What can you do about them, really, though? There's no reason for them to change (from their perspective), and even if you were to somehow force them to abandon their conference because it's not big enough, they'd still just put together the same schedules as they do now.

I know, just dreaming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login