Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

new CU athletics website

Posted by Ben Rocky '04 
new CU athletics website
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (216.2.63.---)
Date: September 20, 2011 11:25AM

CornellBigRed.com

I like the large amount of the deeper red: it seems very close to what I believe Carnelian is supposed to look like. It is a much simpler overall layout, which I appreciate. What are your thoughts?

Re: new CU athletics website
Posted by: ajh258 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2011 12:18PM

Crowded and ugly. If you look on the men's ice hockey page, it's clear that the site wasn't set up properly for all the old data. I liked the old one better without the "flashiness."

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: September 20, 2011 04:30PM

ajh258
Crowded and ugly. If you look on the men's ice hockey page, it's clear that the site wasn't set up properly for all the old data. I liked the old one better without the "flashiness."

Agreed -- very busy and hard on the eyes

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 06:58PM

ajh258
What old data are you talking about?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 10:29PM

The first time I brought it up I got a very clean, concise guide to buying tickets for Cornell sports events, even for MSG. That was great.

The base pages themselves are way too busy for my taste, and the font sizes and pitches jangle it all up.

OTOH, in all honestly, has anyone ever seen a good athletic department web site?

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2011 03:04AM

Jim Hyla
ajh258
What old data are you talking about?
I'm talking about the old articles. Go to the men's hockey page and scroll to the article about season ticket sales. You can see that the teaser is cut off because the first paragraph is longer than what the page is set up to display. Even if these things do work, I still prefer the old site's layout.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 03:05AM by ajh258.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2011 02:46PM

Trotsky
OTOH, in all honestly, has anyone ever seen a good athletic department web site?
This one, obviously:

[web.archive.org]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 12:18PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
This one, obviously:

[web.archive.org]

And of course:

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2011 07:30PM

There's less text than ever before but still more than a Tweet. I suspect we'll ge used to it. I'm not sure if its easier or harder to see at a glance who won and lost the last couple days and who's playing this weekend in what sports.

Can you find other things quickly? Go to a sport's landing page, say football, and try to find the schedule in the places you'd normally look. It's there but off by itself and in a different, lighter face. Took me about a minute to spot it after false starts under Results and 2011 Quick Facts. Actually, the schedule is also under Quick Facts but QF is a four-page PDF that hasn't been updated since before the start of the seasons. That's lame.

This is a carryover nit from the old site. I'm going to the Yale game Saturday (quaint custom, going in person rather than watching a webcast, of which there is none because of Versus coverage) if the rain lets up. There's no information for the fans other than the start time and a link to the Yale ticket office. It would be nice to know when the tailgating lots open, what is the Cornell lot, does it cost to park, and is there any Cornell Club tent. Answers are 9 am, Lot D, pay to park for the first time this year, no. It would be nice to see some more communication between the athletics dept site and other constituences such as the alumni association. For students, it would be good to know if there are student ticket prices. I don't think for Yale Bowl we need info on whether the game is sold out.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2011 09:19PM

billhoward
There's less text than ever before but still more than a Tweet. I suspect we'll ge used to it. I'm not sure if its easier or harder to see at a glance who won and lost the last couple days and who's playing this weekend in what sports.

Can you find other things quickly? Go to a sport's landing page, say football, and try to find the schedule in the places you'd normally look. It's there but off by itself and in a different, lighter face. Took me about a minute to spot it after false starts under Results and 2011 Quick Facts. Actually, the schedule is also under Quick Facts but QF is a four-page PDF that hasn't been updated since before the start of the seasons. That's lame.

This is a carryover nit from the old site. I'm going to the Yale game Saturday (quaint custom, going in person rather than watching a webcast, of which there is none because of Versus coverage) if the rain lets up. There's no information for the fans other than the start time and a link to the Yale ticket office. It would be nice to know when the tailgating lots open, what is the Cornell lot, does it cost to park, and is there any Cornell Club tent. Answers are 9 am, Lot D, pay to park for the first time this year, no. It would be nice to see some more communication between the athletics dept site and other constituences such as the alumni association. For students, it would be good to know if there are student ticket prices. I don't think for Yale Bowl we need info on whether the game is sold out.
Have you ever talked to anyone and suggested it? Sometime they do listen.

Date: September 25, 2011 08:52AM

Jim, yes, I've spoken to both alumni affairs and athletics about this last year or the year before. Both have a lot on their plates and it hasn't happened yet. "Customer-centric" makes me think of a Dilbert spoof and cringe, but slowly Cornell is coming around to the idea that alumni, students and fans are customers, not just tuition-payers and donors. Maybe I'll do it again shortly but right now both hands are busy picking Yale Bowl splinters out of my butt.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 12:22PM

billhoward
Jim, yes, I've spoken to both alumni affairs and athletics about this last year or the year before. Both have a lot on their plates and it hasn't happened yet. "Customer-centric" makes me think of a Dilbert spoof and cringe, but slowly Cornell is coming around to the idea that alumni, students and fans are customers, not just tuition-payers and donors. Maybe I'll do it again shortly but right now both hands are busy picking Yale Bowl splinters out of my butt.
Is there an emoticon for that? No wait, maybe I don't want to see it.

Date: September 25, 2011 10:14PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward
Is there an emoticon for that? No wait, maybe I don't want to see it.

[clear]
Yale Bowl, 2011

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login