Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell lacrosse in 2011

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell lacrosse in 2011
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 09:07AM

Two encouraging articles in today's Ithaca Journal:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Cody Bremner played hockey for Nanaimo and comes in as a two-sport guy. We'll see how that pans out.

Re: Cornell lacrosse in 2011
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2010 10:40AM

Bremner is certainly an intriguing guy. Would be great if he could follow in the tradition of great Canadian attackmen.

2011 should be an exciting season; I just hope the team doesn't listen to the hype. We seem to do best when not much is expected.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 11:49AM

Al DeFlorio

Cody Bremner played hockey for Nanaimo and comes in as a two-sport guy. We'll see how that pans out.

Unfortunately, the hockey/lacrosse combo is almost impossible to do now. Back in our day Al, the NCAA hockey final would be something like March 18 and the first lacrosse game in early April. Cornell's first lacrosse game was still April 1 in 1971 when the NCAA lacrosse tournament was added, with our second game April 14.
Now we've got NCAA hockey regionals the last weekend in March and lacrosse starting in February. Since we haven't heard Bremner's name regarding hockey recruiting, perhaps he's decided to concentrate solely on lacrosse. Anybody out there have additional info?

Date: June 05, 2010 05:30PM

jkahn
Al DeFlorio

Unfortunately, the hockey/lacrosse combo is almost impossible to do now. Back in our day Al, the NCAA hockey final would be something like March 18 and the first lacrosse game in early April. Cornell's first lacrosse game was still April 1 in 1971 when the NCAA lacrosse tournament was added, with our second game April 14.
Now we've got NCAA hockey regionals the last weekend in March and lacrosse starting in February. Since we haven't heard Bremner's name regarding hockey recruiting, perhaps he's decided to concentrate solely on lacrosse. Anybody out there have additional info?
I'm pretty sure it won't happen. I think Harry Orr was the last to pull it off. In an internet forum somewhere, someone posted Bremner was hoping for a hockey "scholarship" before deciding on a college. Guess it didn't happen.

Date: June 05, 2010 10:43PM

I just hope Tambroni is part of the picture in 2011. IL reports today that he's on Maryland's short list.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 11:11PM

Al DeFlorio
jkahn
Al DeFlorio

I'm pretty sure it won't happen. I think Harry Orr was the last to pull it off. In an internet forum somewhere, someone posted Bremner was hoping for a hockey "scholarship" before deciding on a college. Guess it didn't happen.

Or the lacrosse scholarship paid more. At least he knows what his major will be. Or is "lacrosse" the name of the town?

According to Heisenberg, nobody on the Clippers this year will be playing NCAA hockey next winter.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 11:28PM by Swampy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2010 12:24PM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio
jkahn
Al DeFlorio

Or the lacrosse scholarship paid more. At least he knows what his major will be. Or is "lacrosse" the name of the town?

Of course, the English he used to state the point is, well...

earned a scholarship to attend Cornell in lacrosse.

Posted by: peterg (---.bgdmlaw.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 01:59PM

Per the Ithace Journal a few minutes ago, Coach Tambroni is not a candidate for the Maryland job.

Ithaca Journal

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 03:05PM

peterg
Per the Ithace Journal a few minutes ago, Coach Tambroni is not a candidate for the Maryland job.

Ithaca Journal

I rarely use it, but that deserves: banana

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 04:08PM

peterg

Ithaca Journal
He sounds genuinely happy to be living and working in Ithaca. I second Jason's use of the banana. banana

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: June 07, 2010 05:30PM

Josh '99
peterg

Ithaca Journal
He sounds genuinely happy to be living and working in Ithaca. I second Jason's use of the banana. banana

Since my son loves the banana, I'll go with two bananabanana

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 08:08PM

scoop85
Josh '99
peterg

Ithaca Journal

Since my son loves the banana, I'll go with two bananabanana

bananacheerbananacheerbanana

Date: June 09, 2010 11:26AM

Both Fiore and Noble named to IL's Freshmen first-team for 2010

Date: June 09, 2010 12:49PM

scoop85
A nice feather in the cap for both of them. I wonder whether Bronzino would also have made the cut if he hadn't spent so much of the season injured.

Date: June 09, 2010 01:34PM

Josh '99
scoop85
A nice feather in the cap for both of them. I wonder whether Bronzino would also have made the cut if he hadn't spent so much of the season injured.
And let's not forget Mock who scored 15 goals in five tournament games (two Ivy and three NCAA).

Posted by: CornellCommodore (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 02:57PM

It also seems that in two years, we'll be getting a Maryland All-Metro attackman, after a year at Deerfield. Hopefully this kid, John Hogan, can put to as good a use as Pannell did. He'll be a FR when Pannell is a SR, Mock, Gillum and Fiore are JRs. Sounds like a good team to me.

Baltimore Sun All-Metro

Date: June 10, 2010 03:36PM

CornellCommodore
It also seems that in two years, we'll be getting a Maryland All-Metro attackman, after a year at Deerfield. Hopefully this kid, John Hogan, can put to as good a use as Pannell did. He'll be a FR when Pannell is a SR, Mock, Gillum and Fiore are JRs. Sounds like a good team to me.

Baltimore Sun All-Metro

Hogan is a middie, not an attackman

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:56PM

scoop85
CornellCommodore

Baltimore Sun All-Metro

so this begs the question - is he going to Deerfield for his grades or to develop his lacrosse? i don't see us as having too many mids on the roster ... in fact i think we could use as many as we can get. this is the first PG year i can remember under Coach T, any thoughts?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 09:28PM

Rob Pannell did a postgrad year at Deerfield.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2010 10:12PM

billhoward
Yes, but Pannell wasn't committed to Cornell when he went to Deerfield, he went there to do the postgrad year because he wasn't happy with his college choices beforehand; only had one scholarship offer, at Quinnipiac.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 01:20AM

ben03
scoop85
CornellCommodore

Baltimore Sun All-Metro

so this begs the question - is he going to Deerfield for his grades or to develop his lacrosse? i don't see us as having too many mids on the roster ... in fact i think we could use as many as we can get. this is the first PG year i can remember under Coach T, any thoughts?
I suspect it is grades. A friend's son here in Syracuse had to go to Onondaga CC for a semester, to prove his ability to do the work, but was then guaranteed admission in the spring. He turned out to be a high scoring attackman.

Date: June 11, 2010 03:07PM

Josh '99
billhoward
Yes, but Pannell wasn't committed to Cornell when he went to Deerfield, he went there to do the postgrad year because he wasn't happy with his college choices beforehand; only had one scholarship offer, at Quinnipiac.

thanks Josh ... you hit it on the head. what i meant to say was i don't recall sending a kid for a PG year after committing under Coach T.

Date: June 12, 2010 10:30PM

Andrew West, senior goalie for Connecticut class M champion Darien, is headed for Cornell next fall. Inside Lacrosse article here: [insidelacrosse.com]

Darien sophomore Case Matheis scored nine goals and eleven points in the championship game. Hope he and West are good buddies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 10:31PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: June 14, 2010 06:29AM

The really, really, REALLY pre-season Inside Lacrosse media poll for the 2011 season: [insidelacrosse.com]

With a few comments here: [insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: June 14, 2010 08:30AM

Al DeFlorio
The really, really, REALLY pre-season Inside Lacrosse media poll for the 2011 season: [insidelacrosse.com]

With a few comments here: [insidelacrosse.com]
I like this quote:

6) Duke

Losing, in essence, two senior classes will lead to some struggles, particularly early.

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2010 10:16PM

David Mitchell begat Ryan Hurley begat ? You and I don’t know that answer, but Jeff Tambroni does. Someone will put a bushel load of Rob Panell passes in the net next year, but who?

Truer words have never been spoken. I don't see Mock taking Hurlery's spot, but someone will.

Date: June 14, 2010 11:35PM

semsox
David Mitchell begat Ryan Hurley begat ? You and I don’t know that answer, but Jeff Tambroni does. Someone will put a bushel load of Rob Panell passes in the net next year, but who?

Truer words have never been spoken. I don't see Mock taking Hurlery's spot, but someone will.

i don't necessarily know that won't be the case ... Mock stepped up big time in the NC$$'s

with that said, i'll put money's on "i don't have a clue ... "

Date: June 15, 2010 09:48AM

ben03
semsox

i don't necessarily know that won't be the case ... Mock stepped up big time in the NC$$'s

Quint thinks it might be Mock: [insidelacrosse.com]

Date: June 15, 2010 11:50AM

Al DeFlorio
ben03
semsox

Certainly Mock will be a big part of the picture next year -- but who get's the third attack spot? We've got returnees like Austin, Gilbane, Taylor and Gamble -- maybe one of them will step-up. Or perhaps Lau or Gillum move back to attack from the midfield. And then there's guys from the incoming class like Entenmann and Bremner. However it shakes out, there seems to be enough top-end talent to have a dynamic attack.

Date: June 15, 2010 12:45PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio
ben03
semsox

Certainly Mock will be a big part of the picture next year -- but who get's the third attack spot? We've got returnees like Austin, Gilbane, Taylor and Gamble -- maybe one of them will step-up. Or perhaps Lau or Gillum move back to attack from the midfield. And then there's guys from the incoming class like Entenmann and Bremner. However it shakes out, there seems to be enough top-end talent to have a dynamic attack.
Seemed to me Hurley's height was a big advantage for his catch-and-shoot style at the crease. Made it easier for Pannell to feed him.

Date: June 15, 2010 02:35PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
ben03
semsox

Seemed to me Hurley's height was a big advantage for his catch-and-shoot style at the crease. Made it easier for Pannell to feed him.
Move Lang to attack, if you really want size there?

Date: June 15, 2010 03:25PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
ben03
semsox

I'm more worried about midfield than attack. That was this past season's #1 soft spot. Lang and Lau were the two best dodgers at midfield, although Lang has to learn to hold onto the ball better while dodging. I'm hoping Bremner will bring Canadian-style finishing skills to the table next year, but we'll have to wait and see--as with all freshmen.

Date: June 15, 2010 05:24PM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
scoop85
Al DeFlorio
ben03
semsox

I'm more worried about midfield than attack. That was this past season's #1 soft spot. Lang and Lau were the two best dodgers at midfield, although Lang has to learn to hold onto the ball better while dodging. I'm hoping Bremner will bring Canadian-style finishing skills to the table next year, but we'll have to wait and see--as with all freshmen.

Agreed, the midfield must be more dynamic next season; it was held in check during the ND game and really hampered the attack.

Date: June 15, 2010 07:05PM

Harvard coach and Cornell alum John Tillman reportedly replacing Dave Cottle at Maryland: [insidelacrosse.com]

I guess we owe Maryland one for Richie Moran.

Date: June 15, 2010 08:46PM

Al DeFlorio
Harvard coach and Cornell alum John Tillman reportedly replacing Dave Cottle at Maryland: [insidelacrosse.com].

>>> UM is expected to make the news official on Wednesday. It's believed to be a long-term deal. Calls to Tillman and to UM senior associate athletics director Michael Lipitz have not been returned.

A bit top-heavy on administrators.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2010 05:29PM

Al DeFlorio
Harvard coach and Cornell alum John Tillman reportedly replacing Dave Cottle at Maryland: [insidelacrosse.com]

Same citation:

Tillman comes to College Park after three years returning Harvard lacrosse to national prominence....During his three seasons at Harvard, Tillman compiled an overall record of 20-19, including an 8-5 mark in 2009, which was the Crimson's highest win total since 1999.

Wow. A .500 record, no tournament appearances and a fifth place finish in a seven team league. That's a return to national prominence???wtf

I appreciate the win over Princeton, but...rolleyes

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2010 09:22PM

TimV
Al DeFlorio

Same citation:

Tillman comes to College Park after three years returning Harvard lacrosse to national prominence....During his three seasons at Harvard, Tillman compiled an overall record of 20-19, including an 8-5 mark in 2009, which was the Crimson's highest win total since 1999.

Wow. A .500 record, no tournament appearances and a fifth place finish in a seven team league. That's a return to national prominence???wtf

Maybe they meant "relevance"?

Also, "return to"? Have they ever been nationally prominent?

Date: June 16, 2010 09:55PM

Josh '99
TimV
Al DeFlorio

Same citation:

Twelve national championships between 1881 and 1915.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 05:10AM

Al DeFlorio
Josh '99
TimV
Al DeFlorio

Same citation:

Twelve national championships between 1881 and 1915.

OK, then have they ever been relevant?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 07:22PM

TimV

I'd have taken Tillman in a second...

Posted by: ebilmes (---.eastfowl1.iit.edu)
Date: July 20, 2010 08:51PM

Apparently one of Cornell's recruits is playing for Sweden in the world championships.

[www.heraldnet.com]

Date: September 08, 2010 01:20PM

Cornell will scrimmage against Villanova and Hofstra in the Colleluori Classic at Ridley High School in Folsom, PA, on October 9th. Details here: [insidelacrosse.com]

Date: September 08, 2010 05:38PM

Figures. I'll be out of town that day. cuss

Posted by: Weder (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2010 01:37PM

Cornell and Virginia will play in the second game of the Face-off Classic on March 12 in Baltimore.
[cornellbigred.com]

Date: October 01, 2010 06:00PM

It will be intersting to see how much more attention the publication will pay to us now that they can use us to pimp their event,

Date: October 02, 2010 10:27AM

TimV
It will be intersting to see how much more attention the publication will pay to us now that they can use us to pimp their event,

True, we've always been the ugly stepchild on IL, as we've never before played in one of their events.

Date: October 08, 2010 07:54AM

DeLuca appears on CU's interview series, Sidlines. It's the first time I've seen him interviewed at length, and I am rather impressed. He exudes leadership qualities, and I am even more convinced that the lax program is in the right hands.

Date: October 08, 2010 09:41AM

scoop85
DeLuca appears on CU's interview series, Sidlines. It's the first time I've seen him interviewed at length, and I am rather impressed. He exudes leadership qualities, and I am even more convinced that the lax program is in the right hands.

I'd have been happier if he'd included Ned Harkness in his list of the great Cornell coaches in whose footsteps he is following, but that's not too surprising, as DeLuca's time at Cornell coincided with the three head coaches he mentioned.

Some interesting stuff in this Inside Lacrosse fall ball update on Penn State. The reader comments about Tambroni at the bottom of the page are especially interesting.

[insidelacrosse.com]

Date: October 08, 2010 12:03PM

Al DeFlorio
scoop85

I'd have been happier if he'd included Ned Harkness in his list of the great Cornell coaches in whose footsteps he is following, but that's not too surprising, as DeLuca's time at Cornell coincided with the three head coaches he mentioned.

Some interesting stuff in this Inside Lacrosse fall ball update on Penn State. The reader comments about Tambroni at the bottom of the page are especially interesting.

[insidelacrosse.com]

Al, I took it as DeLuca discussing the lineage that he was a part of, certainly not intending to slight Harkness.

Date: October 08, 2010 01:08PM

scoop85
Al DeFlorio
scoop85

[insidelacrosse.com]

Al, I took it as DeLuca discussing the lineage that he was a part of, certainly not intending to slight Harkness.
I think that's what I wrote;-), but I'd still have been happier if he'd included Harkness. Schafer certainly would have, and Harkness wasn't a direct part of his "lineage." Look, I'm not holding it against him or anything, I just think the Cornell lacrosse family should never forget that the lacrosse resurrection, like the hockey resurrection, started with Ned. Before Ned, both were striving to attain mediocrity.

Date: October 08, 2010 02:06PM

Ned Harkness has been gone a long time. Yes, it would have been politic to have invoked the great one's name. Even smart thinkers sometimes forget one or two points when they're on camera and you're not doing multiple takes. If you mention too many names, you start sounding like a Nascar driver: "The Taco Bell Verizon Wireless Home Depot Preparation-H US Army Goodies Headache Powder Dodge Charger was running good until we got too much push from the tahrs up in turn four but praise the Lord he was with us today and we didn't hit the wall all the hard and plus the Team Penske Racing crew built us a right safe car."

Posted by: dag14 (173.170.230.---)
Date: October 08, 2010 04:13PM

DeLuca actually responded to the question he was asked by his interviewer and the context was the fact that he had been recruited by Moran, played for Petro and Tambroni and then coached with Tambroni -- what was it like to be the next in line in that tradition? As a Cornell lacrosse player and coach, I am sure that Ben DeLuca is well aware of the role that Ned Harkness played in the history of the program.

Date: October 08, 2010 05:28PM

dag14
DeLuca actually responded to the question he was asked by his interviewer and the context was the fact that he had been recruited by Moran, played for Petro and Tambroni and then coached with Tambroni -- what was it like to be the next in line in that tradition? As a Cornell lacrosse player and coach, I am sure that Ben DeLuca is well aware of the role that Ned Harkness played in the history of the program.
Look, you're making more of this than I ever intended. The interview did not start with a question. The interviewer began by saying: "Richie Moran, Dave Pietramala, and Jeff Tambroni, those are tough acts to follow." DeLuca then went on to talk about being recruited by Moran, playing for Pietramala, etc. All I'm saying is that I'd have been happier if Ben had said "and don't forget Ned Harkness in your list of 'tough acts.' With that, I give up.

Date: October 11, 2010 06:00PM

Princeton's hot-shot freshman (now sophomore) middie, Mike Chanenchuk, fractured his collarbone in this weekend's fall-ball scrimmages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 06:01PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (155.247.88.---)
Date: October 15, 2010 09:52AM

Speaking of hot-shot Princeton freshman middies, look out for Tom Schreiber from St. Anthony's. With his talent and Chris Bates' offensive philosophies, that young man might be set up to have a freshman year like no Ivy midfielder we've ever seen. Barring injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get more than 60 points.

Date: October 22, 2010 07:11AM

Cornell "fall ball check-in" at Inside Lacrosse: [insidelacrosse.com]

"Happy" to see this quote from Coach DeLuca:

“When you talk about being the head coach of Cornell, it’s unbelievable when you consider Ned Harkness to Richie Moran to Dave Pietramala and Jeff Tambroni,” DeLuca said. Those are Hall of Fame-caliber coaches. It’s very humbling to be mentioned in the same breath as those men.”banana

Date: October 22, 2010 08:56AM

Al DeFlorio
Cornell "fall ball check-in" at Inside Lacrosse: [insidelacrosse.com]

"Happy" to see this quote from Coach DeLuca:

“When you talk about being the head coach of Cornell, it’s unbelievable when you consider Ned Harkness to Richie Moran to Dave Pietramala and Jeff Tambroni,” DeLuca said. Those are Hall of Fame-caliber coaches. It’s very humbling to be mentioned in the same breath as those men.”banana

I was going to post the link with a shout-out to Al about the Harkness reference -- but you beat me to it :-D

Date: October 22, 2010 10:02AM

Interesting item from the article about goaltending changes:

>>> In net, junior Brian O’Donnell (Philadelphia, PA) has catapulted himself from a walk-on last season to the second string keeper this fall. Coaches have called O’Donnell one of the “unsung heroes” of the team for his work ethic and commitment. After then-freshman AJ Fiore (Ithaca, NY) narrowly beat out then-junior Mat Martinez for the starting nod last spring, Martinez has since left the team, leaving O’Donnell to be Fiore’s first backup.

Date: October 22, 2010 12:23PM

Quint's very preseason rankings, and other musings: [insidelacrosse.com]

Re: Cornell lacrosse in 2012
Date: December 08, 2010 11:11PM

Didn't think this deserved a separate thread, but here's a couple of names for 2012.

Inside Lacrosse No. 40 Young Gun Junior Henry West, Midfield, Darien (Conn.) verbally committed to Cornell. West, who played with both Laxachusetts and the Connecticut Chargers, scored 30 goals and 24 assists last spring. He also considered Johns Hopkins, Maryland and Penn State.

Inside Lacrosse No. 48 Young Gun Junior Johnny Edmonds, Attack/Midfield, Ward Melville (N.Y.) verbally committed to Cornell

[insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: CAS (---.dsl.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: December 09, 2010 11:18AM

Congrats to Coach DeLuca in his successful recruiting of these two Top 50 Young Guns. Looking forward to seeing them in Cornell uniforms!

Re: Cornell lacrosse in 2012
Date: December 09, 2010 10:12PM

ithacat
Didn't think this deserved a separate thread, but here's a couple of names for 2012.

Inside Lacrosse No. 40 Young Gun Junior Henry West, Midfield, Darien (Conn.) verbally committed to Cornell. West, who played with both Laxachusetts and the Connecticut Chargers, scored 30 goals and 24 assists last spring. He also considered Johns Hopkins, Maryland and Penn State.

Inside Lacrosse No. 48 Young Gun Junior Johnny Edmonds, Attack/Midfield, Ward Melville (N.Y.) verbally committed to Cornell

[insidelacrosse.com]
Henry's older brother Andrew is a frosh goalie on this year's Cornell team.

Posted by: Weder (144.142.12.---)
Date: February 05, 2011 09:41PM

Ben DeLuca

talks about Saturday's scrimmage against Colgate. Didn't catch a score, but it sounds like it was a mixed performance from Cornell.

Date: February 11, 2011 07:56AM

Syracuse Post-Standard interview with Coach DeLuca.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 10:40PM

Jim Hyla
Syracuse Post-Standard interview with Coach DeLuca.
For a moment I thought I was in the middle of the New York Times thread in the hockey forum.

Date: February 13, 2011 11:18AM

Some insights from the Hopkins crowd on yesterday's scrimmage are in this laxpower forum thread:

[network.laxpower.com]

Scroll down the page about one-third of the way.

Date: February 13, 2011 02:05PM

A poster who goes by jhu72 seemed to take it as a good sign that Hopkins was able to stay right with us. How 'bout that?:-D

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 03:18PM

He also goes on to say that Cornell is not a top 5 team, but probably in the lower end of 6-10. I can't really argue with that...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 03:21PM by Redscore.

Date: February 13, 2011 04:06PM

Nor can I. I'm actually happy about it.

Date: February 14, 2011 05:59PM

Quint's season preview video is here: [video.insidelacrosse.com]

Date: February 15, 2011 08:53AM

Season preview for #4 Cornell is here at Inside Lacrosse: [insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: February 15, 2011 09:46AM

Why are the saying "#4 Cornell? For the most recent polls I could find (1/31) we are #7 in the Media Poll and #8 in the Coaches Poll.

Date: February 15, 2011 10:02AM

KenP
Why are the saying "#4 Cornell? For the most recent polls I could find (1/31) we are #7 in the Media Poll and #8 in the Coaches Poll.
Cornell is #4 in the Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook pre-season rankings:

[insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: Red_laxfan77 (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 03:40PM

I heard that Mumford didn't play any defense in either the Colgate and Hopkins scrimmage. In the team roster, he is no longer listed. What's up?

Posted by: semsox (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2011 08:10AM

Red_laxfan77
I heard that Mumford didn't play any defense in either the Colgate and Hopkins scrimmage. In the team roster, he is no longer listed. What's up?

Laxpower Cornell thread is claiming a knee injury knocked him out for the year. Not sure why this would remove him from the roster though unless it's some sort of eligibility related thing...

Posted by: semsox (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2011 06:19PM

semsox
Red_laxfan77

Laxpower Cornell thread is claiming a knee injury knocked him out for the year. Not sure why this would remove him from the roster though unless it's some sort of eligibility related thing...

Unfortunately it looks like there was something more. IL reporting he's left the team, confirming it with the University. Disappointing, as everything I heard about him led me to believe he would be an asset to the team.

[insidelacrosse.com]

Date: February 23, 2011 09:48AM

Inside Lacrosse has Cornell as the cover story of its March issue. Additional pictures taken at the photo shoot are here:

[insidelacrosse.com]

Date: February 23, 2011 10:16AM

semsox
semsox
Red_laxfan77

Unfortunately it looks like there was something more. IL reporting he's left the team, confirming it with the University. Disappointing, as everything I heard about him led me to believe he would be an asset to the team.

[insidelacrosse.com]
Latest relevant posting on LaxPower forum:

"Wow, IL has not done a good job reporting about Mumford. First, they have him playing in their scrimmages and now they have it as if he just quit. From what I understand, he had a significant enough knee injury, to keep him out for the season including the scrimmages that they said he did a good job in. They make it sound as if he just up and quit."

Perhaps only The Shadow knows.

Date: February 23, 2011 11:18PM

Al DeFlorio
semsox
semsox
Red_laxfan77

[insidelacrosse.com]
Latest relevant posting on LaxPower forum:

"Wow, IL has not done a good job reporting about Mumford. First, they have him playing in their scrimmages and now they have it as if he just quit. From what I understand, he had a significant enough knee injury, to keep him out for the season including the scrimmages that they said he did a good job in. They make it sound as if he just up and quit."

Not The Shadow, but Brian Delaney in today's Ithaca Journal:

"Depth did take a hit this month. Junior Peter Mumford, a highly regarded close defenseman from Onondaga Community College, suffered a torn ACL and partial tear of his MCL and has left the team. Sophomore Kyle Ewanouski, junior T.J. Weyl, senior Chris Livadas and freshman Tom Freshour are next in line."

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 12:12AM

Al DeFlorio
Inside Lacrosse has Cornell as the cover story of its March issue. Additional pictures taken at the photo shoot are here:

[insidelacrosse.com]
Do any of you care as much about lacrosse jersey styles as about hockey uniform styles?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 12:47AM

David Harding
Al DeFlorio

[insidelacrosse.com]
Do any of you care as much about lacrosse jersey styles as about hockey uniform styles?

Not since the "Butt C" became standard.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 07:37AM

Al DeFlorio
The Shadow only knows what evil lurks in the heart of men.

Oh, and the weed of crime bears bitter fruit. If anybody was curious.

Date: February 24, 2011 07:42AM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

And don't forget: "Crime does NOT pay!"

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 07:54AM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

Except on Wall Street

Date: February 25, 2011 12:25AM

I noticed that in the magazine article, there were no names identifying the players in the pictures, consistent with the Cornell "Team First" philosophy. They also discussed The coaching staff's capably recruiting lesser acclaimed players not on Inside Lacrosse's blue chip lists and being successful with them.

Date: February 25, 2011 09:33AM

Towerroad
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio

Except on Wall Street
... where many lacrosse players (all colleges) gravitate. Continuing their competitive nature.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 09:17PM by billhoward.

Date: February 25, 2011 07:48PM

RichH
David Harding
Al DeFlorio

[insidelacrosse.com]

Not since the "Butt C" became standard.

These look like a return to the style worn before the butt-C jerseys.

Re: Cornell lacrosse in 2011 - final four chances
Date: April 13, 2011 09:12AM

If you can extrapolate your best single-game performance into the playoffs, ten teams would declare themselves worthy of being the NCAA champion. After the 11-6 demolition of Syracuse on the road Tuesday night, Cornell has good reason to see itself getting back to Baltimore this year.

No. 2 Notre Dame is 9-0 with one-goal wins over Denver and (on Sunday) Georgetown; they close at Syracuse and at North Carolina. If they stay unbeaten, they deserve the #1 ranking and seeding going in.

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: April 13, 2011 12:51PM

As a special treat to readers on the heels of Cornell's big win, Inside Lacrosse is running its Big Red feature story from the March issue of the magazine, reported and written by Terry Foy.

Very nice article about the multi-year effort to make Cornell a top-caliber program.

Date: April 13, 2011 01:38PM

KenP
As a special treat to readers on the heels of Cornell's big win, Inside Lacrosse is running its Big Red feature story from the March issue of the magazine, reported and written by Terry Foy.

Very nice article about the multi-year effort to make Cornell a top-caliber program.
A very good story [edit: an excellent story with a lot of sources and details], but what a clumsy online intro to the print story and a heavy-handed suggestion that you really should subscribe to the magazine. Maybe IL ran the Cornell story online because no new helmets or gloves came out this week.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 02:28PM by billhoward.

Posted by: Robb (130.76.221.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 02:15PM

billhoward
No. 2 Notre Dame is 9-0 with one-goal wins over Denver and (on Sunday) Georgetown; they close at Syracuse and at North Carolina. If they stay unbeaten, they deserve the #1 ranking and seeding going in.
It will get a little messy if Syracuse beats Notre Dame!

If only we'd taken care of Army...

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: April 13, 2011 03:08PM

Robb
billhoward
It will get a little messy if Syracuse beats Notre Dame!

If only we'd taken care of Army...

Injuries made Cornell shorthanded in the Army game, as they did Syracuse last night. Cornell also has improved steadily as the season has progressed.

Hopefully, the seeding committee takes such things into account.

Date: April 13, 2011 05:31PM

billhoward
KenP

A very good story [edit: an excellent story with a lot of sources and details], but what a clumsy online intro to the print story and a heavy-handed suggestion that you really should subscribe to the magazine. Maybe IL ran the Cornell story online because no new helmets or gloves came out this week.

But if you want clumsy, how about this clumsy quote from Tierney:

“At the time that David took over, the biggest thing was recruiting,” Tierney says. “It had changed drastically in the mid-’90s. You had to get into kids’ homes and it was an energy thing. They took advantage of the advantages Cornell has over the other Ivy League schools. You have to ask them how much of [their plan] came from looking at Princeton, but maybe that’s the nature of the rivalry — you have two schools that look at each other and are in awe of the other.”

Yeah, I guess the reason we are successful is because of you? And is that a backhand reference to the state schools? What about all the advantages Princeton has had with their financial aid. Maybe I'm glad, in many ways, he's far away.

Date: April 13, 2011 06:58PM

I noticed in the print edition a subtle tribute to Cornell's emphasis on "Team" - no photo in the article identified any of the players by name.

Date: April 13, 2011 09:45PM

My neighbor is deeply involved in Princeton athletics. He talks about the unfair advantage of Cornell state schools. I talk about the unfair advantage of Princeton having the nation's second-largest endowment per student (after Stanford) and Class of '52 Field for lacrosse (4,000 seats, surrounded by woods, modern facilities).

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 14, 2011 12:32AM

State schools have nothing to do with it, look what Harvard has been doing with basketball recruiting, lowering their standards enough to get guys who most of the other schools in the league couldnt get in

Date: April 14, 2011 08:07AM

billhoward
My neighbor is deeply involved in Princeton athletics. He talks about the unfair advantage of Cornell state schools. I talk about the unfair advantage of Princeton having the nation's second-largest endowment per student (after Stanford) and Class of '52 Field for lacrosse (4,000 seats, surrounded by woods, modern facilities).

It's just a rationalization for their failures.

Date: April 15, 2011 01:22AM

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 01:24AM by ben03.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 15, 2011 11:25AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

I think it is more like jealousy. Our Ice Cream is vastly superior to theirs.

Date: April 15, 2011 11:29AM

Towerroad
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward

I think it is more like jealousy. Our Ice Cream is vastly superior to theirs.

Princeton's in New Jersey! Princeton's in New Jersey!

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login