Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[Wrestling] Bad news: Adam Frey has cancer

Posted by ugarte 
[Wrestling] Bad news: Adam Frey has cancer
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:53AM

Cornell wrestler Adam Frey has started a website to provide updates on his condition and treatment and to help solicit donations to defray what may end up being huge medical expenses.

He was unlucky enough to get into a terrible auto accident, but fortunate enough to have the tumors detected during his trip to the hospital after the accident.

In his words:

Adam Frey
Hello, my name is Adam Frey and I am a wrestler at Cornell University.

On the Tuesday after Easter (March 25, 2008), I decided to get up a little earlier to make a nice stop at McDonald’s and get some food before heading off to a full day of classes. On my way to class on a winding part of the road that I drive on every day, I saw a car coming straight at me. I veered right to miss it and then swerved left, causing my car to fishtail on gravel, roll and hit a tree at about 55 MPH.

After finding myself in the bed of my vehicle and still in the front seat, I started to pray. My whole body was numb except for an incredible pain in my neck. After realizing I was not paralyzed, I exited the car and called my roommate to come pick me up. My stuff was scattered as far as 50 feet out the back of the car from the roll and my car is totaled.

Upon arriving to the hospital, I waited for what seemed like forever to finally get seen. Before undergoing a routine CAT scan to check for internal bleeding and head trauma, the doctor told me that I must be one tough SOB to walk away from something like that and I should be dead. As soon as I felt everything would be over and I would just have a story to tell and maybe a job to pick up to get another car, I received my results.

The head and neck were fine except for whiplash, but another problem loomed. Here I was informed of three tumors on my lung, liver and between my kidneys. At the age of 22, and with never smoking, chewing, doing drugs, and being as healthy as anyone in wrestling shape, I have cancer.

It is obviously a hard pill to swallow, but as my coach always tells me, “It is what it is.” There is no hiding, no running, nothing. I have to do something that I have done all my life: fight.

With the help of the big man upstairs and my family and friends, I feel like I have the best support group out there. Those in the wrestling community have really come through and everyone has blessed me with their love and support even as this task looms. I hope to one day wrestle again, I hope to beat this disease, and I hope that you all can be a part of this piece of my life. I can promise to never give up and to be as tough as I can be.

With that said, thank you for reading my story and I hope to keep you guys updated with my blog and my treatment. I will keep all of you in my prayers and let us all hope for the best.

God Bless,
Adam Frey

Adam just came off of a tumultuous season that started with problems making weight and finished in an NCAA tournament appearance and what may have been the fastest pin in the tournament (he decked a guy in 22 seconds).

He goes in tomorrow for a biopsy and I wish him the best in his care and recovery. There is a link on the site with instructions for making donations if you care to do so.

Re: [Wrestling] Bad news: Adam Frey has cancer
Posted by: ebilmes (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2008 03:07PM

My heart goes out to Adam and his family. From looking at the comments on his website, he'll have the benefit of strong support from the Cornell and wrestling communities.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 10, 2008 02:30PM

From his blog, Adam Frey is currently undergoing chemo for what turned out to be testicular cancer:

Adam Frey
The doctor came in and really broke the news. I am not in an early stage. In fact, I am in the most advanced stage testicular cancer comes in, Stage III. If this had ept growing for two more months, it would not be life as much as quality of life. My odds got cut back 10-20%, and the real kick was being told that, if I had smoked, shot heroine, and basically treated my body like a warzone and not a temple, the odds of survival would be about the same. It is still between 60-70, but it irks me knowing that this thing could not have been prevented, and because I am so young, is not affected by diet, exercise, good living habits, ect. I was told I would be less prone to infection, but the news about healthy livings affect now, it just bugged me. I was told that later down the road it does matter, so for everyone who lives right, continue, hopefully it will pay off in the end.

His blog also has a more amusing story about having to bank some sperm in case the chemo makes him sterile.

And for crazy wrestling-related information:

Adam Frey
The other thing that is amazing is how large my tumor actually was. It is about 10-12 pounds which means this year instead of making 141, I was making 129-131 and sometimes wrestling 149. I guess the mystery of why it was so hard for me to make weight was finally revealed. I was carrying an extra 1.5 weight classes in my gut, literally.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2008 04:10PM

I have a cousin who survived testicular cancer and has since fathered a child. Here's hoping Adam has the same good fortune.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login