Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Princeton Tennis Rules Violation

Posted by David Harding 
Princeton Tennis Rules Violation
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2010 12:29AM

From the New York Times:

N.C.A.A. Penalizes Princeton for a Major Rule Violation

Princeton University committed a major rule violation when a booster paid $33,000 toward the educational expenses of a tennis player, the N.C.A.A. announced Wednesday. It was the first time in 36 years that the N.C.A.A. found an Ivy League institution guilty of committing a major infraction.

The case involved a Princeton alumnus and former member of the men’s tennis team who helped pay a female tennis player’s tuition in the 2007-8 academic year and the fall of 2008. The alumnus and the student were not named. In addition to being publicly reprimanded, Princeton is required to vacate all tennis matches that the student won, in either singles or doubles, during the 2007-8 academic year and through part of the 2008 fall semester, when the violation was discovered. ...

Re: Princeton Tennis Rules Violation
Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 11, 2010 02:57AM

[sports.espn.go.com]

How many of your peers do you trust?

Let's put it this way: There is more honor in politics. Here's the breakdown:

• Eight said flat-out no, they do not trust their peers.

"No, not at all. Maybe some of it is hearsay, but I don't trust them at all.''

• Five said they trust fewer than 10 of their colleagues.

"How many? Five,'' one coach said. Five percent? "No, five total,'' he said. "And those five are my assistants.''

How often during the recruitment of a player does someone -- a coach, a parent, someone else -- ask for something in return? How does it happen?

Here's where it really gets ugly. This hasn't happened to every coach (12 said they've faced it directly), but all 20 of them know it goes on.

"It happened to me this morning,'' one coach said. "I had a guy try to hand me a résumé, get them a job.

What is the biggest problem facing college basketball?

Finally, 100 percent consensus: It's agents and runners. Not only are they sullying the game, but they're also changing the way players look at their college careers.

That's no news flash. Agents have long been considered the boogeyman of college athletics. What's interesting? How they're doing business:

• Loans or lines of credit: "Say you've got a top-10 kid but you don't have a lot of money,'' one coach explained. "The agent will get a line of credit through his financial adviser for you in your name. When your kid goes pro, you pay it back.''

• Prepaid debit cards: Slightly different than a loan, these allow an agent to offer a constant stream of cash by giving a prospect or a prospect's family member a card with a cash value that can be constantly stuffed with more money, not unlike an actual bank account. The kicker: As of now, the NCAA has no way of tracking the transaction.

"That's the latest one I've heard,'' said one coach.

• Tying in to a summer league program: Numerous coaches said that agents now have ties to specific summer league teams and that the people serving as coaches are actually already agents' runners.

Another coach, who recently coached a top-five draft pick, said that every agent who came to sign his player offered the same thing: "If you sign with me, I'll deliver you this guy and that guy. Every single one of them is tied to an AAU team. Every one. They cook the deal with the AAU coach. He gets the kid on campus and then cuts a cut.''

• Hiring parents as "consultants": Shoe companies sponsor virtually every summer league team. The team wears the shoe company's gear and plays in the shoe company's sanctioned events.
"What's happening at Kentucky, all these one-and-dones, that's not good for our game,'' another added.

Kind of funny that this happened in such a minor sport as women's tennis. There was a great article linked above from earlier in the summer about all the problems with recruiting in college basketball.

Seems kind of minor compared to the crap Calimari is pulling down at UK right now with Enes Kanter from Turkey who got $100K to play for a Turkish professional team. It is only a matter of time before that UK win over Cornell gets vacated

[www.ivyleaguesports.com]

Robin Harris, the executive director of the Council of Ivy Group Presidents, which is the governing council of the Ivy League athletic conference, said that, based on the facts of the case, "the Ivy League does not anticipate conducting any further investigation or imposing any sanctions" beyond those announced by the NCAA.

"During the review of this violation, the University and Ivy League concluded that although the alumnus' contributions in support of the student-athlete's educational expenses violated NCAA rules, the violation was isolated and inadvertent, it did not provide the tennis team with a recruiting advantage, and the alumnus had no intention of providing the team with an advantage," Harris said.

Why is it that every time some violation occurs the league goes out of its way to say they will complete no further investigations, they do not really think it is a major problem, etc
I question their ability to complete these investigations because look at Harvard. With Harvard the league came out and said they did their own investigation and found no problems. Then the NCAA looks at it and Harvard reports a secondary violation.

And speaking of the Ivy league office, did they ever make a decision on what to do with that extra million+ we earned by playing 2 extra games in the NCAA's. Seems kind of insane that that money is not ours and that the league has any control over that extra money.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2010 02:59AM by phillysportsfan.

Re: Princeton Tennis Rules Violation
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2010 07:41AM

Calipari is an absolute slimeball -- the posterboy for what's bad about big-time "college" athletics

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login