Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bill Courtney Basketball Coach

Posted by CornellFan 
Bill Courtney Basketball Coach
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:29PM

Re: Bill Courtney Basketball Coach
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:27PM

Seems like a good choice.

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 10:09PM

Risky. High rewards though if it works out. Radical departure in every way possible from Donahue.

Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 10:27PM

By radical departure do you mean in pedigree I assume?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 08:37AM

CornellFan
Radical departure in every way possible from Donahue.
Come now. Neither of them are Asian.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 10:28AM

I think this is a great pick. He is a long time assistant, has moved steadily up the conference ladder - a sign of good reviews from head coaches on the way up - and is black.

I actually am indifferent to the last one but I wanted someone's eyes to bug out for just a second.

Welcome to Cornell, Coach Courtney.

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 11:16AM

Sort of surprised they did not go with someone with Ivy experience but from the 3 candidates I think Courtney makes the most sense, the Wisconsin guy was too old and the Temple guy had 6 years experience vs Courtney who has been an assistant for 15 years

Also here is an interesting quote:
[www.mytimesdispatch.com]

While Cornell had to like Courtney’s recruiting ability – “I think I just sold the person who I was and how hard I would work for them,” he said – Courtney was attracted to the job in part because of the patience Andy Noel showed with Donahue.

Noel became the AD in 1999 and hired Donahue in 2000. Donahue struggled in his first four seasons, going 32-76, 15-41 in the Ivy. He had losing overall records the next two seasons, despite going 8-6 in the Ivy each year. But in 2006-07, he improved to 16-12, 9-5. Then he won the Ivy the next three seasons, dominating the league.

“That definitely shows the character [Noel] has,” Courtney said of the willingness to stick with Donahue.

Press conference today at 3pm
[cornellbigred.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 11:29AM by phillysportsfan.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:11PM

phillysportsfan

Noel became the AD in 1999 and hired Donahue in 2000. Donahue struggled in his first four seasons, going 32-76, 15-41 in the Ivy. He had losing overall records the next two seasons, despite going 8-6 in the Ivy each year. But in 2006-07, he improved to 16-12, 9-5. Then he won the Ivy the next three seasons, dominating the league.

“That definitely shows the character [Noel] has,” Courtney said of the willingness to stick with Donahue.

Let's keep some perspective here. CU isn't exactly the place that DEMANDS excellence on the basketball court. We alumni have never required rolling heads if we finish near the bottom of the pack of the basketball standings, because until recently, that's where we've finished most of the time. This was a program still hungover from the disaster that was Al Walker, so as long as the coach wasn't making a public ass out of himself, it was a step forward. Donahue seemed to be a breath of fresh air in terms of treatment of student-athletes and public relations, and that's really all anybody could have wanted back then...Noel had other things to worry about than challenging the P's dominance on the hardwood and conducting a search every 3 years for that post.

A few losing basketball seasons? Never a reason to sharpen the axe in Ithaca. Cornell Alumni care more about success from their football and lacrosse coaches (with hockey in a different stratosphere) than they do basketball. This run was an extraordinary confluence of crazy recruiting gets that took 5 years to start falling into place.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 12:22PM by RichH.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:17PM

Reading the story I count five different jobs as assistant (or associate) coach in fifteen years, including a couple very short stints. Is this typical of college basketball coaches? Seems like a lot of movement.

I'm not saying this is a problem. It just seemed noteworthy to me.

Date: April 23, 2010 12:21PM

KeithK
Reading the story I count five different jobs as assistant (or associate) coach in fifteen years, including a couple very short stints. Is this typical of college basketball coaches? Seems like a lot of movement.

It isn't that noteworthy, especially since he was moving up the chain. Coaching careers for the ambitious tend to be pretty itinerant. That said, I wouldn't count on Courtney staying here forever, Carrill-style.

Date: April 23, 2010 12:24PM

ugarte
KeithK

It isn't that noteworthy, especially since he was moving up the chain. Coaching careers for the ambitious tend to be pretty itinerant. That said, I wouldn't count on Courtney staying here forever, Carrill-style.

I dont expect Courtney to stay forever either, if Donahue didnt who will? But if Courtney does leave that means he had enough success here to get a better job

Date: April 23, 2010 12:36PM

phillysportsfan
ugarte
KeithK

I dont expect Courtney to stay forever either, if Donahue didnt who will? But if Courtney does leave that means he had enough success here to get a better job
Or the exact opposite. I'd bet that Donahue raised the bar on what a Cornell basketball coach can achieve. Not that we need to dominate the Ivies, but if we slip back to the back of the pack for a couple of years, I think there will be more pressure on Noel than there was when Donahue started.

That said, I continue to believe that if you look at Donahue's track record, he was showing signs of improvement in his first three years and Noel never had any reason to consider replacing him.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 01:08PM

phillysportsfan
ugarte
KeithK

Someday we might find an alum who happens to be a great coach. That's probably the only way a very successful coach will stick around long term (and no guarantee either).

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 23, 2010 01:45PM

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Our last assistant Kevin App is going to Army, will be interesting who Courtney brings in as assistants, probably needs to get some guys with Ivy experience

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: April 23, 2010 02:59PM

Press conference is up

Date: April 25, 2010 06:46PM

[wvbr.com]

Listen to Sports Roundup tonight at 7:40 PM for a discussion about the future of Cornell Men's Basketball with the Ithaca Journal's Brian Delaney.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2010 07:49PM

KeithK
phillysportsfan
ugarte
KeithK

Someday we might find an alum who happens to be a great coach. That's probably the only way a very successful coach will stick around long term (and no guarantee either).

Well it will help to have great basketball alums who go on to get great basketball experience before coming back to coach. Thanks to Donahue's time in Ithaca, the chances of that happening are much greater now.

Date: April 25, 2010 11:20PM

Swampy
KeithK
phillysportsfan
ugarte
KeithK

Well it will help to have great basketball alums who go on to get great basketball experience before coming back to coach. Thanks to Donahue's time in Ithaca, the chances of that happening are much greater now.

Yeah thats a good point, although it is kind of funny to think of any of the Big 3, Dale, Foote or Wittman as a coach although I could see Jacques as a coach

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2010 12:15PM

ugarte
I think this is a great pick. He is a long time assistant, has moved steadily up the conference ladder
I work in a sea of VaTech alums (this is not pleasant during football season) and they were all very positive about him.

Date: April 29, 2010 03:10PM

Louis Dale
Bill Courtney had his first workouts with the guys today..I watched and was thoroughly impressed. Can you say Cornell wins 4th Ivy in a row?

Source:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login