Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard fires squash coach

Posted by profudge 
Harvard fires squash coach
Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: April 20, 2010 05:01PM

See article at Harvard coach thrown out causes controversy

Is Winning that important ?

Re: Harvard fires squash coach
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 20, 2010 08:13PM

profudge
See article at Harvard coach thrown out causes controversy

Is Winning that important ?

I discovered this article this afternoon in my office's copy of the Globe. It was on page 1 of the sports section (below the fold). It's an interesting read. At least to me, since I live 1 mile from #1 Trinity and got my MS at #4 (and better than Harvard in squash!) Rochester, two schools that were singled out in the article as "how can we let schools like these best Hahvahd in squash!!?" Of all the humiliation.

Alumni who have publicly criticized Bajwa generally have blamed him for the decline of Harvard’s men’s team. Though Bajwa helped West capture the individual championship last season, his men’s team ranked fifth nationally behind Trinity, Yale, Princeton, and Rochester.

To many longtime Crimson racqueteers, seeing the Harvard men supplanted as the nation’s dominant team by a non-Ivy institution like Trinity has been all but humiliating. Trinity has captured the last 12 national titles, after the Harvard men won 14 of the previous 16 championships. Even worse for some Harvard squash loyalists was the Crimson men finishing behind Rochester, a school the Cambridge racquet elite once considered a walkover.

“When we’re losing to colleges that didn’t even have squash teams that long ago, it’s understandable that people would think, ‘We used to be No. 1. Why are we No. 5? What’s going on with this program?’ ’’ Kaplan said.

Even the online comments to the story are amusing:

The National Championship? Shouldn't that be the "international" championship? When was the last time Trinity had a domestically born or trained player on it's "playing" roster?

Unnecessary "quotes" aside, doesn't this sound familiar from Crimson boosters?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 08:16PM by RichH.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.wireless.ubc.ca)
Date: April 20, 2010 08:23PM

Damn immigrants, coming into our country, taking our squash championships...

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 20, 2010 09:31PM

Must be the off season. I am reading an article about a squash coach. popcorn

BTW, the videos on the right hand side of the page include a press conference with the new BC basketball coach.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2010 11:46PM

Lauren '06
Damn immigrants, coming into our country, taking our squash championships...
Dey tuk er jerbs!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 09:56AM

The Trinity roster does look like something from a bad house party movie. "When 5 guys from Greenwich, CT meet 5 guys from Pakistan, ANYTHING can happen!"

All they're missing is Long Duc Dong.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2010 09:57AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2010 05:07PM

So, hire him. We have an international student population.rock

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2010 11:39PM

Trotsky
The Trinity roster does look like something from a bad house party movie. "When 5 guys from Greenwich, CT meet 5 guys from Pakistan, ANYTHING can happen!"

LOL. So does anyone under the age of 30 get the last reference?

As an alum of Camp Trin-Trin (1991, did well enough there that Cornell accepted me for grad school), it is pretty amazing what the squash team has done. I do recall being shown the squash courts on a campus tour, but didn't see a match. When I was on campus, it was the men's hockey team (which played its home games at Kingswood-Oxford prep school) that was very good.

I am quite shocked (though I shouldn't be, it is SUCKS after all) by some of the comments in that article. I haven't been following the admission trends at Trinity but when I was there, they weren't *that* lax. I knew several people that were IVY league material that wanted the small campus/class size that Trinity and the other "little ivies" offered.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 07:58AM

Rita
Trotsky

"No more yanky my wanky. The Donger need food!"

Then again, I'm not under 30.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 02:59PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Rita
Trotsky

Anyone under 30 with basic cable has seen those movies way more than they care to. And then Molly Ringwald went on to ruin "The Stand".

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 06:10PM

French Rage
Jeff Hopkins '82
Rita
Trotsky

Anyone under 30 with basic cable has seen those movies way more than they care to. And then Molly Ringwald went on to ruin "The Stand".
I don't think that really gets to the heart of the issue, though. Molly Ringwald acted exactly like Molly Ringwald should've been expected to act: the same as she did in every other thing she'd ever been in. If that wasn't what they wanted, then the casting director ruined "The Stand."

(Other actors in this category: Danny Trejo, R. Lee Ermey, Jason Mewes.)

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 11:51PM

Rita
Trotsky

As an alum of Camp Trin-Trin (1991, did well enough there that Cornell accepted me for grad school), it is pretty amazing what the squash team has done. I do recall being shown the squash courts on a campus tour, but didn't see a match. When I was on campus, it was the men's hockey team (which played its home games at Kingswood-Oxford prep school) that was very good.

I am quite shocked (though I shouldn't be, it is SUCKS after all) by some of the comments in that article. I haven't been following the admission trends at Trinity but when I was there, they weren't *that* lax. I knew several people that were IVY league material that wanted the small campus/class size that Trinity and the other "little ivies" offered.

My sister graduated from Camp Trin-Trin in '07 and worked in the admissions office while there. They are not need blind and very much care about legacies so they will take students who can pay full price/legacy students over a more academically qualified student who might need financial aid. The standards were getting more and more lax over her time there - it definitely doesn't have the feel of a baby ivy anymore.

Date: April 23, 2010 08:32AM

French Rage
And then Molly Ringwald went on to ruin "The Stand".
Thou shalt not speak ill of Molly Ringwald. And the thing that ruined The Stand was the last 300 pages. But this is not the literature thread. Just lay off cute redheads.

Date: April 26, 2010 01:45PM

Trotsky
French Rage
Thou shalt not speak ill of Molly Ringwald. And the thing that ruined The Stand was the last 300 pages. But this is not the literature thread. Just lay off cute redheads.
Who said anything about cute redheads? We were talking about Molly Ringwald.

Date: April 26, 2010 03:05PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

We'll have a truce. I won't criticize the plasticine, insectoid stick figures of today if you don't criticize the natural, radiant women of yesteryear.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2010 03:13PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

We'll have a truce. I won't criticize the plasticine, insectoid stick figures of today if you don't criticize the natural, radiant women of yesteryear.

I'm sure you two can find common ground. Christina Hendricks?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 26, 2010 03:35PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

I'm sure you two can find common ground. Christina Hendricks?
Can't argue with Christina Hendricks.

And I don't have any problem with the natural, radiant women of yesteryear, I just happen to think Molly Ringwald is funny-looking. Even in her proto-goth makeup, Ally Sheedy was still the cute one in The Breakfast Club.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 10:42PM

Josh '99

And I don't have any problem with the natural, radiant women of yesteryear, I just happen to think Molly Ringwald is funny-looking. Even in her proto-goth makeup, Ally Sheedy was still the cute one in The Breakfast Club.

Yes, we have found common ground. However, Molly Ringwald was the cute girl in Breakfast Club. Ally Sheedy was the seductive girl in Breakfast Club, albeit only before her ill-advised makeover.

Of course, now they all look about 12 years old, so its moot.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 09:16PM

Trotsky
Josh '99

Yes, we have found common ground. However, Molly Ringwald was the cute girl in Breakfast Club. Ally Sheedy was the seductive girl in Breakfast Club, albeit only before her ill-advised makeover.

Of course, now they all look about 12 years old, so its moot.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.cheer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login