Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schadenfreude - Harvard hoops skirts the rules, says NYT

Posted by billhoward 
Schadenfreude - Harvard hoops skirts the rules, says NYT
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2008 09:41AM

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys if this story is true in The New York Times on the front sports page of Sunday's (3/2/2008) paper. (The paper no longer requires a paid online subscription so the story is open to all.)

New York Times
... the group of six recruits expected to join the [Harvahd] team next season is rated among the nation’s 25 best. This is partly because Harvard Coach Tommy Amaker ... has set his sights on top-flight recruits. It is also because Harvard is willing to consider players with a lower academic standing than previous staff members said they were allowed to. Harvard has also adopted aggressive recruiting tactics that skirt or, in some cases, may even violate National Collegiate Athletic Association rules.

Harvard’s efforts in basketball underscore the increasingly important role that success in high-profile sports plays at even the most elite universities. In the race to become competitive in basketball, Harvard’s new approach could tarnish the university’s sterling reputation.

Two athletes who said they had received letters from Harvard’s admissions office saying they would most likely be accepted have described tactics that may violate N.C.A.A. rules, including visits from a man who worked out with them shortly before he was hired by Harvard to be an assistant coach.

Re: Schadenfreude - Harvard hoops skirts the rules, says NYT
Posted by: Nathan Chicowdy 92 (66.28.239.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:04PM

One thing the article did not mention was the fact that (maybe it's not a fact - please correct me if I'm wrong), coupled with the recent tuition waiver for students of modest means, Harvard's decision to lower its academic standards for basketball players essentially is an end around the Ivy prohibition against athletic scholaships.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:37PM

Here's an interesting take on the NYT article.

[collegebasketball.rivals.com]

I like the part about Harvard being the UNLV of eastern Mass.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:55PM

I almost did not get past the first sentence:

Harvard has never won an Ivy League title in men’s basketball and has not reached the N.C.A.A. tournament since 1946.

And I thought Cornell Hoop's two-decades-old dry spell was bad.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 03:28PM

Nathan Chicowdy 92
One thing the article did not mention was the fact that (maybe it's not a fact - please correct me if I'm wrong), coupled with the recent tuition waiver for students of modest means, Harvard's decision to lower its academic standards for basketball players essentially is an end around the Ivy prohibition against athletic scholaships.
Seems to me that the tuition waiver can be viewed as an end run on the prohibition against athletic scholarships, independent of any fudging the Academic Index they might be doing.

Edit: And to think I used to like Tommy Amaker because he was doing a good job at Seton Hall. (Now I like him because he destroyed Michigan's basketball program and now it's starting to look like he's going to destroy Harvard's too. upto )
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2008 03:32PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 03:32PM

Josh '99
Nathan Chicowdy 92
One thing the article did not mention was the fact that (maybe it's not a fact - please correct me if I'm wrong), coupled with the recent tuition waiver for students of modest means, Harvard's decision to lower its academic standards for basketball players essentially is an end around the Ivy prohibition against athletic scholarships.
Seems to me that the tuition waiver can be viewed as an end run on the prohibition against athletic scholarships, independent of any fudging the Academic Index they might be doing.
The former thought is shortsighted because of its focus on athletics at the expense of the more important mission of the university (and universities in general), but to the extent that Harvard is undermining the Academic Index Amaker should be ashamed.

That said, I'm not sure that we can afford to be too high-and-mighty here. The subtext of the article is not that Harvard is admitted athletes that fail to meet the minimum Ivy League academic criteria (though it may be recruiting them) but that they fail to meet HARVARD's traditional Academic Index. In other words, Harvard is possibly now taking guys who in the past could only have gone to Cornell.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:03PM

Josh '99
(Now I like him because he destroyed Michigan's basketball program and now it's starting to look like he's going to destroy Harvard's too. upto )

Destroying HARVARD's basketball program.

DESTROYING Harvard's basketball program.

Destroying Harvard's BASKETBALL program.

Destroying Harvard's basketball PROGRAM.

Nope, no matter how I try, that thought just does not compute. screwy

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:12PM

Robb
Josh '99
(Now I like him because he destroyed Michigan's basketball program and now it's starting to look like he's going to destroy Harvard's too. upto )

Destroying HARVARD's basketball program.

DESTROYING Harvard's basketball program.

Destroying Harvard's BASKETBALL program.

Destroying Harvard's basketball PROGRAM.

Nope, no matter how I try, that thought just does not compute. screwy
Josh must have meant the women's program. Though how Amaker managed to screw that up is beyond me.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:47PM

min
I almost did not get past the first sentence:

Harvard has never won an Ivy League title in men’s basketball and has not reached the N.C.A.A. tournament since 1946.

And I thought Cornell Hoop's two-decades-old dry spell was bad.

I totally hear what you're saying, but when you realize that Cornell's two most recent league titles and NCAA appearances sandwich only 2 other schools (yes I know Yale split it once), there are several Harvards in this league.

Date: March 03, 2008 11:40PM

Nathan Chicowdy 92
Everyone else at Harvard of modest means gets a free ride so you can give a free ride to 12 guys in baggy shorts who jump up in the air every 30 seconds? I kind of like that. Would that it were contagious in Ithca.

BTW the Michigan Daily, culling public records, reported that Amaker was making $170K a couple years back (and if I recall, the women's coach was at parity). (Plus shoe contracts and so forth.) Harvard is probably paying him even more notwithstanding no positive winning record since his Seton Hall days.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:46PM

I'd guess he isn't making as much money on the side at Harvard as he did at Michigan.

Date: March 03, 2008 11:53PM

ithacat
Here's an interesting take on the NYT article.

[collegebasketball.rivals.com]

I like the part about Harvard being the UNLV of eastern Mass.

Like the part about Jerry Tarkanian at 77 being willing to come out of retirement to coach the Cantabs if Amaker goes elsewhere. Maybe there's some place for Jimmy the Greek as well. He hasn't said anything controversial in more than a decade.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 05:00PM

The League is planning to investigate.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 03:56PM

Harvard loses its prize center recruit Ben-eze. Report says it may improve their academic index.

[sports.espn.go.com]

Date: March 11, 2008 05:12PM

A Yalie chimes in on the ESPN story about hoops recruit Ben-Eze going elsewhere than Cambridge.

Yale grad
Not going to Harvard is a terrible choice. If you are a good player, but not one of 20 or so best in the country then wasting an opportunity to go to Harvard is absurd. I am an alum of Yale and the prestige of the degree opens doors unimaginable. People throw jobs at you and the alumni of sports teams at Ivies are very tight. I am an athletic alum and, trust me, it's tighter than any frat. If this kid is NBA material, that's one thing. If not, HUGE BLUNDER.

... and they teach you phrasing not seen since William F Buckley departed these shores golden.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2008 08:04AM

billhoward
A Yalie chimes in on the ESPN story about hoops recruit Ben-Eze going elsewhere than Cambridge.

Yale grad
Not going to Harvard is a terrible choice. If you are a good player, but not one of 20 or so best in the country then wasting an opportunity to go to Harvard is absurd. I am an alum of Yale and the prestige of the degree opens doors unimaginable. People throw jobs at you and the alumni of sports teams at Ivies are very tight. I am an athletic alum and, trust me, it's tighter than any frat. If this kid is NBA material, that's one thing. If not, HUGE BLUNDER.

... and they teach you phrasing not seen since William F Buckley departed these shores golden.

And also Bushisms.dribble

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login