Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NFL brain injury Congressional inquiry

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
NFL brain injury Congressional inquiry
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 07:44PM

I was watching last night's edition of PBS's The Newshour tonight and caught clips of the testimony of a neurologist who has investigated former NFL players who have developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). As she was speaking, they showed a picture of a brain scan from a former NFL player who developed CTE and noticed the name Thomas McHale at the bottom of the image. This prompted a search where I found this: [www.sciencedaily.com]

Was I the only one here unaware of this tragic end for Tom?

Re: NFL brain injury Congressional inquiry
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:45PM

Al DeFlorio
I was watching last night's edition of PBS's The Newshour tonight and caught clips of the testimony of a neurologist who has investigated former NFL players who have developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). As she was speaking, they showed a picture of a brain scan from a former NFL player who developed CTE and noticed the name Thomas McHale at the bottom of the image. This prompted a search where I found this: [www.sciencedaily.com]

Was I the only one here unaware of this tragic end for Tom?
No, I'm unaware as well. I hope they clean it up.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 12:09AM

I wrote about this a little while back when Tom's story was featured in the New Yorker:

[www.metaezra.com]

The big concern with football -- other than whether or not we will ever win an outright Ivy title again -- is just how violent of a sport it is -- and how dangerous it can be for a player's long-term health. This week's New Yorker documents Tom McHale, a Cornell and NFL alum, who suffered from "ridiculously abnormal" brain trauma due to repeated football-induced concussions, and ultimately died of substance abuse at the age of 45.

I, for one, would really love to see an emphasis on tackling below the waist at all levels of the sport. Everybody just loves to smash their helmets into each other for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 12:10AM by mnagowski.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 29, 2009 09:41PM

mnagowski
I wrote about this a little while back when Tom's story was featured in the New Yorker:

[www.metaezra.com]

The big concern with football -- other than whether or not we will ever win an outright Ivy title again -- is just how violent of a sport it is -- and how dangerous it can be for a player's long-term health. This week's New Yorker documents Tom McHale, a Cornell and NFL alum, who suffered from "ridiculously abnormal" brain trauma due to repeated football-induced concussions, and ultimately died of substance abuse at the age of 45.

I, for one, would really love to see an emphasis on tackling below the waist at all levels of the sport. Everybody just loves to smash their helmets into each other for some reason.

Unfortunately, in a sport where every inch of extra yardage is so important, emphasizing tackling below the waste (except in some open field situations, and against the biggest backs) just won't happen. Yards and wins are less replaceable than safeties and receivers.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:16AM

BCrespi
mnagowski

[www.metaezra.com]

Unfortunately, in a sport where every inch of extra yardage is so important, emphasizing tackling below the waste (except in some open field situations, and against the biggest backs) just won't happen. Yards and wins are less replaceable than safeties and receivers.
That being the case, and the NFL making as much money as they do, there's no excuse not to *at least* mandate the use of the best helmets and mouth guards available to prevent concussions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login