Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NHL hockey unequal point values

Posted by Rita 
NHL hockey unequal point values
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 09:37AM

I was wondering if any of the math geeks had done any calculations on how the OTs/SO in the NHL makes some games worth 3 points and what effect that has had on teams making the playoffs, or not. I never had enough free time to go through the seasons to figure it out, but that might change in about 2 months!

I'm guessing not much difference, since they haven't changed it and you don't hear a lot of complaining by the teams. But then again, this is a league run by Gary Bettman.

It just seems so wrong that a team that loses a game still gets a point while the winning team gets 2. I'd be okay with dividing the points up 0.5/1.5 or making all games worth 3 points such that if you won in regulation you got all 3, and OT/SO games were worth 1 pt to the loser and 2 pts to the winner.

This is something that bothers me, especially as the playoffs draw closer and I'm hoping that the Carolinas and Floridas don't get in but the Buffalos of the NHL world do.

Re: NHL hockey unequal point values
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2009 09:56AM

Unfortunately international soccer has used a non-zero-sum point system for years (3 points for a win, 1 for a tie); it means two teams are both better off splitting a pair of games than tying both. I guess for hockey the best plan is for two teams to split a pair of games, with each team winning in OT/SO.

International hockey actually uses a zero-sum version of the NHL madness (you get 3 points for winning in regulation), whose most annoying feature is considering a decision in overtime equivalent to a shootout.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.196.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 10:01AM

There are only two acceptable ways of doing this:

1. The right way: ties, no shootout and either no overtime or no points for an overtime loss

2. The barely tolerable wrong way: all wins the same value, all losses 0 points, break a tie by infinite overtime, shootout, fashion show...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 06, 2009 11:17AM

Well, 2 will never happen, and 1 won't either (again).

Given the reality of the NHL that there will be shootouts, I do agree with Rita that the best situation is probably:
3 points for a regulation W
2 points for a OT/SO W
1 point for an OT/SO L
0 points for a regulation L

(note: if you want to move OT W/L along with regulation instead of with SO, that's fine)

I haven't done the math (nor will I), but I just wanted to add that I heard a radio color person recently refer, derisively, to "loser points". A term I enjoy and wish to spread around.

I'd also like to add the flip side "fake winner points", for wins occurring in a SO, but that's not quite as catchy.

Okay, I lied, one quick bit of "math" (if it even qualifies as that): a quick peak at the NHL standings shows that the order of points is pretty similar to the order of wins. And there are no gross deviations (a team with several less wins being ahead due to a lot of OTLs). But that doesn't give any insight into the effect of SOWs, which aren't listed separately.

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.196.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 11:26AM

I love the metric "Loser Points" (LP), where:

LP = OTL + SOW

That simplifies the standings, which can then be

W, L, T, Pts, LP, PLP

with Post-Loser Points (PLP),

PLP = Pts + LP

The question then is whether there's any difference in the standings between Pts and PLP.

My advice on shoot-outs, after throwing up, is that the compromise between hockey fans who loathe it and casual hockey fans and infants who love it is to have it count as a tie-breaker. So, a game ending in overtime is a tie. The team winning a shootout gets 1 SOW, which counts for no points. If teams are tied in points at the end of the year, the first tie-breaker is SOW.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2009 11:40AM

DeltaOne81
Given the reality of the NHL that there will be shootouts, I do agree with Rita that the best situation is probably:
3 points for a regulation W
2 points for a OT/SO W
1 point for an OT/SO L
0 points for a regulation L

This is exactly the International/European system.

Note that Hockey East experimented with shootouts back in the 90s, and the point system they used was

5 points for a regulation/OT W
3 points for a SO W
2 point for an SO L
0 points for a regulation/OT L

which seems fine to me, and also makes shootouts worth less compared to games. (The results are not far from Greg's "tiebreaker" scenario.)

The other advantage to a plan like this is for a college hockey conference is that you could actually do weekend playoff series without infinite overtime, as first-to-eight-points series. (So you could win the series with two wins, a win and a SOW, a win and two SOL, or two SOW and a SOL. This is equivalent to an first-to-four-points series in the "standard" points scheme, where WLT and TTT tied series are settled by one or three shootouts, respectively...)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 11:42AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 12:29PM

jtwcornell91
The other advantage to a plan like this is for a college hockey conference is that you could actually do weekend playoff series without infinite overtime

Yeah, but infinite overtime can be pretty awesome.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 12:46PM

Rita
I was wondering if any of the math geeks had done any calculations on how the OTs/SO in the NHL makes some games worth 3 points and what effect that has had on teams making the playoffs, or not. I never had enough free time to go through the seasons to figure it out, but that might change in about 2 months!
My gut feeling is that it must work out basically the same in the long run, but that doesn't make the system not stupid.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 01:30PM

jtwcornell91
The other advantage to a plan like this is for a college hockey conference is that you could actually do weekend playoff series without infinite overtime,
I'm sorry but this is not an advantage. Playoff games are not supposed to end in ties or artificial constructs.

The HE system is the best if you feel the need to award points for ties. Zero sum, minimal advantage for the SOW. Greg's suggestion is even better. Of course, just allowing ties (what's the frickin' big deal?) is by far the best option.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 02:03PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
The other advantage to a plan like this is for a college hockey conference is that you could actually do weekend playoff series without infinite overtime,
I'm sorry but this is not an advantage. Playoff games are not supposed to end in ties or artificial constructs.

The HE system is the best if you feel the need to award points for ties. Zero sum, minimal advantage for the SOW. Greg's suggestion is even better. Of course, just allowing ties (what's the frickin' big deal?) is by far the best option.

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 02:47PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
*applause*

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:13PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
Why not, playoffs with first to 3 points can be very exciting, especially when the second game is tied.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 05:18PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
jtwcornell91
Why not, playoffs with first to 3 points can be very exciting, especially when the second game is tied.
It's exciting when a team that won the first night can play for a tie? Maybe we should just go back to two game total goals series.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 07:16PM

Trotsky
I love the metric "Loser Points" (LP), where:

LP = OTL + SOW

Well, except, that's a misnomer. Because a SOW is not a loss, even by traditional hockey standards, by which it would have been a tie. You could call them 'non-winner points' but that's not nearly as catchy or degrading.

What about 'fake points' & 'phony wins'? Such that 'fake points' = 'loser points' (OTL) + 'phony wins' (SOW)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 07:22PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 07:21PM

For regular season games, I don't see anything wrong with a tie. Why does everything these days have to have a "winner"?

As long as the NHL is going to resolve all ties, why don't they go right to the shoot out? There isn't any difference (at least with the current point system) between winning in OT v. winning in the SO.

Yeah, 4 v.4 provides more open ice and presumably more goal scoring opportunities, but with the way the call penalties, there are plenty those in regulation time.

I get the loser point criticism, but if the NHL is insistent in its desire to decide tie games by the stupid (IMHO) shootout method, I don't mind the losing team getting a share of the points as long the total amounts given out for a game do not exceed what a regulation win is worth.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 07:30PM

The real NHL standings:
[www.examiner.com]

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 08:05PM

DeltaOne81
The real NHL standings:
[www.examiner.com]

Thanks. Maybe if Sid the Kid and the Pens don't make the playoffs, maybe Bettman will realize that the OTL/SOW system is a crap.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2009 09:47PM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
KeithK
jtwcornell91
It's exciting when a team that won the first night can play for a tie? Maybe we should just go back to two game total goals series.
Actually yes. I've posted about this before, but the most exciting 0-0 game I've seen was in 1989. We were at Clarkson and won the first game. The second was the 0-0 tie. We won by getting to 3 points first. It was very exciting, especially seeing Clarkson pull their goalie to try and win the game. So yes a tie can be very exciting.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 09:50PM

Jim Hyla
Actually yes. I've posted about this before, but the most exciting 0-0 game I've seen was in 1989. We were at Clarkson and won the first game. The second was the 0-0 tie. We won by getting to 3 points first. It was very exciting, especially seeing Clarkson pull their goalie to try and win the game. So yes a tie can be very exciting.

For that matter, every team with a 1-goal lead is playing for a tie from that point on.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 09:51PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 06, 2009 10:25PM

Screw it. Let's just go with 10 points for a win, zero points for a loss, and zero points for a tie. THAT would make for some exciting hockey when it's tied late in the 3rd period...

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 12:22AM

It seems like some SCRABBLE fans also have something to gripe about with regards to points, tiles and acceptable words (no, not the %$#^& ones ;-) ).

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:00PM

Yet another way to present NHL point standings.

And yes, the fact that some games are worth 2 points and other games worth 3 points still bugs me. wtf. At least this proposal takes into account conference games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 11:41AM

Anything to expose the stupidity of tiephobia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login