Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

POLES...not polls

Posted by TimV 
POLES...not polls
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 06, 2009 10:01AM

The polls thread in the hockey forum got me thinking. Besides Derkac and Moyer, what's doing on the lacrosse defensive side since we're missing Gradinger and Dorne?

Re: POLES...not polls
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: January 06, 2009 10:48AM

That's a good question. It's kind of scary.

If you believe the positions listed at the official Cornell Athletics site(not always advisable), here are the players on the current roster who are most likely to play with six-foot sticks.

Baker
Decker
Derkac
Feely
Gilbert
Howe
Kamedulski
Livadas
MacDonald
Moyer
Weyl

No matter how you distribute them among the four available starting slots at close defense and long-stick midfield, you end up without much experience or physical presence. Only three of the players above have ever logged significant minutes outside of garbage time.

If I had to guess, the four players most likely to start at D and LSM will emerge from this group of six, in rough order: Moyer, Derkac, MacDonald, Feely, Livadas, Howe. (Maybe include Baker as a dark horse.) And here's the freaky part. In an ideal world in which everyone played the position they were physically and mentally best suited to play, every single one of those six guys might end up being a long-stick midfielder, not a close defenseman.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 06, 2009 01:17PM

Thanks HH.

If your considering physical size as the difference between an LSM and close defense I'm less worried- Ivy attackmen tend to be fast rather than big. If they have the speed they'll learn the slides and the rest is just practice practice practice. Hopefully there are some ball handlers.

Myers wasn't in goal for the alumni game in Sept, I'm hoping he continues the play he showed during the summer.

I'm SO tired of watching the reruns of THE OSU coast to coast goal...not that i blame him as much as the middie that didn't pick up the goalie on the rush.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: January 08, 2009 09:37AM

Agreed. There's so much to playing good defense. Quick feet. Understanding space and slides. Consistent technique. Teamwork and listening. Courage (blocking shots).

But I do think we should be concerned about the physical thing. Like you say, size isn't all there is to it. It's more about having a physical presence and attitude. Being willing and able to dish out punishment when necessary with the body and the stick and, at times, demeanor. (Example: Speaking of goalies taking the ball coast-to-coast, anyone remember which Cornell player gleefully decked Brown's Jordan Burke after he cleared the ball past the midfield stripe and into the area? It was Dorne.) I think it's fair to say that the current group of defensemen and long-stick midfielders may be lacking in this department. I hope they prove me wrong. The funny thing is that Cornell's short-stick midfielders may have more of that search-and-destroy mentality -- like Calvert for example.

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 03:08PM

I got a chance to play against Max Dorne in High School, and he was an absolute beast. His HS was perennially in the top 10 nationally, and I believe they had 7 players on the Duke roster during the rape scandal.

Does anyone know why he left the team?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 03:58PM

Cornell11
I got a chance to play against Max Dorne in High School, and he was an absolute beast. His HS was perennially in the top 10 nationally, and I believe they had 7 players on the Duke roster during the rape scandal.

Does anyone know why he left the team?
Back problems caused both Dorne and Gradinger to "retire" from lacrosse.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2009 05:56PM

Whoops. Wrong thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2009 05:56PM by ugarte.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login