Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Betting lines for Cornell-Duke

Posted by CornellFan 
Betting lines for Cornell-Duke
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: January 02, 2008 03:47PM

Anyone know the line on Cornell-Duke?

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Betting lines for Cornell-Duke
Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 02, 2008 05:48PM

No odds, but according to TeamRankings, Duke should win by 31.4

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2008 01:15AM

I took a glance at what I could find on Google and I don't see any lines for anything further in advance than tomorrow (1/3, technically today since I'm writing this after midnight). Could be that if there'll be a line, it won't be posted until Friday.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 03, 2008 12:31PM

I've never understood the point of betting the spread on games that are this lopsided. Seems to me that in a more evenly matched game the likely margin of victory is more rationally related to relative team strengths, because both teams will compete hard throughout. In a lopsided game like this it seems less rational. You're betting not only on relative strengths but the likelihood of the better team putting in reserves for significant amounts of time or simply coasting because they know the game is in hand.

Just an idle comment.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: January 03, 2008 05:03PM

KeithK
I've never understood the point of betting the spread on games that are this lopsided.
Agreed, but bettors factor that into their decision, and the line isn't fixed. If the betting is Cornell-heavy, that line will tighten up quickly. As I'm sure you know, the line is designed to get equal money bet on both sides so there is no risk to the book and all the money is made on the vig (and volume).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 03, 2008 05:15PM

Yeah, I understand why the bookies take the bets. If they do their job setting the spread they'll make money, as you say. My point is that it seems like the betting line is less likely to be a good predictor of reality in this type of game than in a closely matched one. So it's harder to make a rational decision about which bet is the right one.

Then again, I'd guess that "rational" bettors (the ones that are trying to make money in net by winning 60% of their bets) probably don't bet on these games.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2008 03:08PM

KeithK
Then again, I'd guess that "rational" bettors (the ones that are trying to make money in net by winning 60% of their bets) probably don't bet on these games.
"Rational" bettors put their money in the stock market. Oh, wait...

Posted by: jaybert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2008 11:37AM

anyone get a line?

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2008 12:49PM

I found an early line for Duke -29.0 and an over/under of 158.

[www.vegasinsider.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2008 11:38PM

The initial line isn't supposed to predict reality, it's supposed to predict the betting pattern. It then immediately gets pulled into true by the betting volume.

My problem is with lines on games like, say, Duke-Cornell, where one team is obscure. How do they put together the initial line on such a game? Presumably, betting will be much lighter than on games involving two nationally-known teams, so I would think the bookie is at far greater risk of a skew and thus a risk of actually losing money.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 12:02AM

While you're absolutely right, Greg, that the betting line on games like this must be harder to set, and less likely to predict reality, I would have to imagine that there are enough games like this each year that the bookies have enough data on games like this to make a pretty good guess on how the betting would go. Afterall, if they couldn't set them profitably, they wouldn't set them at all. The fact that they apparently still do so much means they've reasonably figured it out.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 12:21AM

With light betting the bookies' exposure is much less, too.

Posted by: jaybert (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 10:09AM

David Harding
With light betting the bookies' exposure is much less, too.

Anyone find a money line on this game?

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 11:17AM

Trotsky
The initial line isn't supposed to predict reality, it's supposed to predict the betting pattern. It then immediately gets pulled into true by the betting volume.

My problem is with lines on games like, say, Duke-Cornell, where one team is obscure. How do they put together the initial line on such a game? Presumably, betting will be much lighter than on games involving two nationally-known teams, so I would think the bookie is at far greater risk of a skew and thus a risk of actually losing money.
If the betting starts to skew, the bookie both move the line in order to balance the ledger and lay off the money, hedging against the lopsided betting to keep from getting squeezed if a line moves quickly from, say 10 to 12 and the favorite wins by 11, giving wins to early bettors on the favorite and late bettors on the dog.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 04:15PM

Just put in my bet. Got Cornell +29.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 04:44PM

CM cWo 44
Just put in my bet. Got Cornell +29.

What site do you use?

Posted by: MOBalum (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 08:19PM

Nicely done. Hope ya made a bundle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login