Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Stony Brook/Quinnipiac/UPenn Hoops

Posted by CornellFan 
Stony Brook/Quinnipiac/UPenn Hoops
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2007 10:18AM

(1) Here is a short video clip of a Ryan Wittman three pointer from the game at Stony Brook. Good to be back in the win column.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

(2) The Quinnipiac game is on MSG network at 12 tomorrow.

(3) Anyone notice that Penn lost by 30 yesterday to Florida Gulf Coast? The Quakers scored an NCAA record, 6 points in the first half. Yes, just 6 points.

Re: Stony Brook/Quinnipiac/UPenn Hoops
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2007 03:27PM

CornellFan
(3) Anyone notice that Penn lost by 30 yesterday to Florida Gulf Coast? The Quakers scored an NCAA record, 6 points in the first half. Yes, just 6 points.
How the hell did they do that? Did they just brick every shot? Even if you were throwing the game I think you'd get double digits by accident.

Edit: "(AP) Penn shot just 5.9 percent and committed 23 turnovers." Yeah, that'll do it.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2007 03:33PM by KeithK.

They're making the hoop smaller this year...(wish you were here...)
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2007 06:37PM

Hartford's women's team missed 23 straight field goal attempts against UConn yesterday, but they did outdo Penn by pouring in seven points in the second half.

Re: They're making the hoop smaller this year...(wish you were here...)
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: December 31, 2007 10:24AM

Al DeFlorio
Hartford's women's team missed 23 straight field goal attempts against UConn yesterday, but they did outdo Penn by pouring in seven points in the second half.
And despite the one point difference, scoring 7 in a half against UConn is much more impressive than scoring 6 against Florida Gulf Coast.

Is Penn still your pick to win the Ivies, CornellFan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 10:24AM by ugarte.

Re: They're making the hoop smaller this year...(wish you were here...)
Date: December 31, 2007 10:51AM

My preseason pick was Penn. My feeling right now is that there are five Ivy teams that are just about even (Penn, Yale, Cornell, Brown and Columbia). I think the winner of the Ivy League will probably have 3-4 losses. It is going to be a war this year.

On Cornell...

We haven't played terribly. Losses to Syracuse and Ohio on the road are acceptable. SU is well.... SU. Ohio is a very good 8-4 team, having knocked off St. Johns, New Mexico State and Maryland. No shame in losing in Athens, Ohio.

Bucknell was a tough loss, but it was on the road after an 18 day layoff, while the Bison were fresh off a game at Wake Forest. The Bison are also pretty good basketball team.

The loss to Colgate was the only "bad" loss of the season, but it was without Jason Hartford or Jeff Foote. Its tough to win games when your only big players are 6'7" and down. Also, I should mention that Colgate is looking pretty good. They are off to a 7-5 start and might compete in the Patriot League.

My problem with Cornell is our inability to put opponents away. We have an explosive offensive and have held big double digit leads on Colgate, Ohio, Binghamton, Lehigh, Stony Brook etc, but have allowed these teams to creep back into games.

If we can't put teams away... we are not going to win the League.

It is very simple actually.... once we build our typical 10-14 point lead, Steve has to instruct the kids to stop shooting three-pointers before we go Ice Age. Once we have the commanding lead, we need to transition the offense into attacking the basket, drawing fouls, getting high percentage shots. Guys like Robinson, Gore, Dale, and Wittman are great attacking the basket and shooting free throws.

I'd rather risk drawing offensive charges in the lane then heaving up three after three when we are already up by 12.

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
And despite the one point difference, scoring 7 in a half against UConn is much more impressive than scoring 6 against Florida Gulf Coast.

Is Penn still your pick to win the Ivies, CornellFan?

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 12:32PM

Anybody watching the game? The refs seem a little bit whistle happy. Quinnipiac seems to be doing a pretty good job shutting down the 3-pointers, but the Red are performing admirably inside.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: December 31, 2007 12:38PM

metaezra
Anybody watching the game? The refs seem a little bit whistle happy. Quinnipiac seems to be doing a pretty good job shutting down the 3-pointers, but the Red are performing admirably inside.
Not until I get home. Please don't post spoilers in a thread title.

Date: December 31, 2007 12:52PM

Cornell had a 9 point lead, but Q trimmed it down to 4 at half.

Ka'ron Barnes (now an ESPN production assistant) is at the game doing some commentary with Barry Leonard.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 02:21PM

Not a bad outcome. A character building overtime win over a team that had already lost to Brown...

Date: December 31, 2007 02:41PM

Yes, Brown also beat Quinnipiac, but also in overtime. Great win in a game where our frontline carried the day. Great game by Foote and Tyler.

Posted by: MOBalum (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 03:54PM

Great job by the Red of not giving up after turning a 15-ish point lead into an 8-point deficit. Last two minutes of regulation were very well-disciplined leading to good shot selection and Q fouls, then a similar job after falling behind in the middle of the OT.

Nothing flashy from Cornell, and for a 7-footer I don't think Foote is too exciting but he can still develop. Nice showing for the team on the telly. Let's hope for a similar result for the next TV game, yes?

Date: December 31, 2007 04:20PM

Foote is definitely not an offensive threat. But he is a very good defender in the post and even gave Syracuse some problems. He should get better and better. Even Andrew Naeve was pretty bad on the offensive end as a freshman and sophomore. I am pretty sure Naeve shot below 50% his first three years of college ball. And that is terrible for a 6'10" kid.

Foote has 2 more years to further develop his offense. Further, he should be more effective against smaller and less athletic Ivy competition.

Posted by: MOBalum (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 04:42PM

CornellFan
Foote is definitely not an offensive threat. But he is a very good defender in the post and even gave Syracuse some problems. He should get better and better.

Absolutely - I don't blame him for not scoring more as the offense does not go through him. Maybe he'll develop post moves, maybe not. I just see a guy that big and want instant rebounds and putbacks. Those instincts aren't there yet.

EDIT: As I look at the box score, he had 5 boards and 10 points on 3-5 shooting in only 22 minutes. So perhaps he's a quiet beast and I just missed it. My apologies to the Foote family.

CornellFan
Foote has 2 more years to further develop his offense. Further, he should be more effective against smaller and less athletic Ivy competition.

Very true.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 04:45PM by MOBalum.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.dsl.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 08:31PM

CornellFan

That game was about 2 minutes down the road from the hockey games. We considered going to see some of it, but they were charging $8 for the cheapest seats and $30 for courtside seating. Still might have been worth it to see that horrible effort.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 09:29PM

ebilmes
CornellFan
We considered going to see some of it, but they were charging $8 for the cheapest seats and $30 for courtside seating. Still might have been worth it to see that horrible effort.

Wait... you went to Florida for hockey but were unwilling to put up $8?

Date: January 01, 2008 09:40AM

Penn next plays Miami (Fl.), I think tomorrow night.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2008 10:42AM

Chris '03
ebilmes
We considered going to see some of it, but they were charging $8 for the cheapest seats and $30 for courtside seating. Still might have been worth it to see that horrible effort.

Wait... you went to Florida for hockey but were unwilling to put up $8?
Probably because they couldn't watch the whole game.

Returning to basketball, I don't know what happened in OT because I forgot to program extra time into the recording and it ran out with .6 seconds remaining but during regulation I was impressed with Kreefe and Tyler, Wittman (once he started setting his feet) and Dale's distribution but not shot selection. Foote played very well on D but his footwork on offense is horrible. Robinson was borderline invisible until hitting the shot that tied the game, but as redemptive moments go, that isn't a bad one.

I'm very happy with this win - I think we beat a better team yesterday. Even while building the big lead at the beginning of the game I never felt like we'd be able to run away. They pass the ball around too well and defended the perimeter very tight.

More than anything, seeing the team play to the final buzzer was a pleasure.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2008 02:30PM

KeithK
CornellFan
How the hell did they do that? Did they just brick every shot? Even if you were throwing the game I think you'd get double digits by accident.

Edit: "(AP) Penn shot just 5.9 percent and committed 23 turnovers." Yeah, that'll do it.

Talk about degrees-of-precision overkill: the scoring summaries reported shooting to the nearest tenth of a point.

Posted by: BillCharlton (---.dsl.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2008 11:10PM

CornellFan
Anyone notice that Penn lost by 30 yesterday to Florida Gulf Coast? The Quakers scored an NCAA record, 6 points in the first half. Yes, just 6 points.

That record didn't last long. Tonight Savannah State shot 1 for 23 (4.3 percent) and scored four points in the second half at Kansas State.

Savannah State at Kansas State

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 08, 2008 01:06PM

BillCharlton
CornellFan
Anyone notice that Penn lost by 30 yesterday to Florida Gulf Coast? The Quakers scored an NCAA record, 6 points in the first half. Yes, just 6 points.

That record didn't last long. Tonight Savannah State shot 1 for 23 (4.3 percent) and scored four points in the second half at Kansas State.

Savannah State at Kansas State
I love this bit from the Sportsline story: "...leading one fan to yell: "I'm not even going to make fun of you anymore!" late in the game."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2008 10:40PM

BillCharlton
CornellFan

We had our shot at the record tonight but let NJIT get nine in the first half.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login