Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hoops-NIT Brackets Announced-Red No. 9 Seed

Posted by CornellFan 
Hoops-NIT Brackets Announced-Red No. 9 Seed
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: August 19, 2008 02:36PM

[cornellbigred.com]

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Hoops-NIT Brackets Announced-Red No. 9 Seed
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2008 10:38PM

For those assuming that's a link to a post on CornellFan's blog, it's not; it's a link to a PDF file of the bracket that will automatically download.

Anyway, what are your informed thoughts on whether we have a shot at making it to the Garden? Whether I go to North Dakota or not, I'll still be here on Wednesday for the semis. :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 10:39PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: CornellChris (---.c3-0.wsd-ubr4.qens-wsd.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: August 20, 2008 12:36AM

I'd say we have a decent enough chance of advancing. We were certainly placed in the most favorable region. We could beat any one of these three teams... but they could also easily beat us.

St. John's, a once proud program, has fallen on hard times and I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible for them to turn it around. Last year they lost to teams like Niagara, Tulane, and Ohio, which would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. Lately it seems like they're losing players left and right for one reason or another, and nobody seems to make it to senior year. Still, they're a Big East team and, no matter how far they've fallen, you have to respect that.

Boston College might be a tougher foe, even though they too were disappointing last season. However, unlike St. John's, I actually think B.C. can/will turn it around. They finished dead last in the ACC, but it is the ACC after all. They did a fair job of taking care of business out of conference.

Loyola actually might be our toughest test. Remember how bad they whooped Penn last season? They would have to get past B.C. first though (unless we BOTH lose).

Honestly, it could go either way. This is a very winnable bracket, but you can't predict any victories when the competition is from the Big East & ACC.

-Chris

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 09:28AM

Andy Katz had this to say yesterday on his blog:

"The NIT Season Tip-Off announced its matchups Tuesday (with seeds)...Clearly this wasn't done in a traditional NCAA tournament style, since top-seeded Purdue isn't playing 16-seed Mississippi Valley State. But the gist in seeding is to increase the likelihood of the favorites getting to New York. Cornell in the East, Davidson in the South and UAB in the West are the three potential upset teams."

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2008 06:33PM

CornellFan
Andy Katz had this to say yesterday on his blog:

"The NIT Season Tip-Off announced its matchups Tuesday (with seeds)...Clearly this wasn't done in a traditional NCAA tournament style, since top-seeded Purdue isn't playing 16-seed Mississippi Valley State. But the gist in seeding is to increase the likelihood of the favorites getting to New York. Cornell in the East, Davidson in the South and UAB in the West are the three potential upset teams."

aren't all of the lower seeds potential upsets? Cornell, Davidson, and UAB might be the most likely to pull an upset, but all the lower seeds can potentially pull one off.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 20, 2008 06:54PM

Dpperk29
aren't all of the lower seeds potential upsets? Cornell, Davidson, and UAB might be the most likely to pull an upset, but all the lower seeds can potentially pull one off.
You know what that means. "Potential upset" means one that is technically an upset (lower seed wins) but would not be surprising.

The #65 team in the March tournament could beat the #1 team too. It's possible. But it's definitely not a "potential upset" that you can identify in advance.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2008 08:42PM

KeithK
Dpperk29
You know what that means. "Potential upset" means one that is technically an upset (lower seed wins) but would not be surprising.

The #65 team in the March tournament could beat the #1 team too. It's possible. But it's definitely not a "potential upset" that you can identify in advance.

Um, excuse me but I think Dpperk29 is correct. #65 beating #1 is a potential upset. Not one that I'd bet on, but potential it has. All upsets were potential upset before they became the "upseter". Yes, we can read into it that he means more likely, but why don't we ask our sports reporters to use correct English? Putting it another way, can we have a "non-potential upset"? Does that mean an upset that is really surprising? After all, those do occur from time to time.

To me, potential upset means exactly what it says, potential. And yes, it would be nice if hockey season were starting, so we could argue about that and not grammar. By the way, I did get to order my season tickets today. Does that count as the season starting?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 20, 2008 09:03PM

Yes, literally speaking any lower seed is a potential upset. But that's not what the idiom "potential idiom" means. You may not like this idiom (and I'm not enthralled with it either). But that's still the idiom.

Maybe I should've read Dpperk29's comment as a comment on the silliness of the idiom.

Date: August 20, 2008 09:35PM

KeithK
Maybe I should've read Dpperk29's comment as a comment on the silliness of the idiom.

the down side to pursuing a degree in engineering is you tend to look at everything a little too technically. it ruins some otherwise very entertaining movies and tv shows...

and I agree with Jim (apparently pigs have developed a way to fly without assistance), how long until hockey season starts?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 09:40PM

Dpperk29
KeithK

the down side to pursuing a degree in engineering is you tend to look at everything a little too technically. it ruins some otherwise very entertaining movies and tv shows...
Now I'm really confused. Do you mean me or you? :-D

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 10:35PM

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.” -- Damon Runyon

Date: August 21, 2008 07:43PM

KeithK
Dpperk29
KeithK

Now I'm really confused. Do you mean me or you? :-D

I think it applies to both of us... though I didn;t know you were an engineer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login