Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[NHL] Hockey Needs Relegation

Posted by Beeeej 
[NHL] Hockey Needs Relegation
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2007 02:45PM

Slate's Nate DiMeo explains why the NHL needs English Premiership-style relegation: [www.slate.com]

Awesomely funny. And frighteningly, maybe not so far off the mark.

(Ob. ECACH content: photo of Yann Danis at top of article.)

Re: [NHL] Hockey Needs Relegation
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2007 02:52PM

Amusing. Would be entertaining. Good luck slipping that into the next CBA ;)

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2007 04:02PM

After the complete collapse of the union two years ago, I honestly think that owners can get whatever they want the next time around. Of course, relegation is something that half of the teams in the league would hate, so it won't happen.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: October 11, 2007 04:16PM

Relegation makes zero sense because the AHL teams are all affiliated with NHL teams and carry the players. So if the Wolfpack get called up to the NHL, the Rangers would just pull all of their players out of the team so they didn't have to compete with them. This doesn't even get in to the issues of arena size etc.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 11, 2007 04:24PM

Jacob '06
Relegation makes zero sense because the AHL teams are all affiliated with NHL teams and carry the players. So if the Wolfpack get called up to the NHL, the Rangers would just pull all of their players out of the team so they didn't have to compete with them. This doesn't even get in to the issues of arena size etc.
In order to implement a relegation scheme the AHL would need to drop affiliation agreements with NHL clubs. (The article does acknowledge this in passing.) The NHL could decide to do this unilaterally (subject to any contractual obligations in the affiliation agreements). The question then is whether an unaffiliated AHL league could be financially successful. On this I'm skeptical even with a reduced NHL. The NHL clubs would presumably still form development agreements with the ECHL so the AHL would stuck in between with limited talent and the quality of play would suffer.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 11, 2007 05:14PM

This is the worst idea I've ever heard.

You think fans in Rochester are willing to pay big league bucks just to watch the NHL play?

Sure they sold out the Sabres vs. Devils in 2003 because it was Brian Gionta's homecoming and the Devils were the defending champs, but the following season when the Sabres tried to play the Lightning in Rochester, they couldn't draw over 10,000. And the Lightning were the defending champs (sorry Ari) and their coach, John Tortorella, coached the Amerks to the 1996 Calder Cup Championship.

Fans from small league markets who are used to paying $10-15 to see hockey won't stand for paying the rates owners need to sustain the league and the market. Soccer's popularity in Europe doesn't translate to Hockey's in North America.

Posted by: cth95 (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2007 08:47PM

I like the last two for the panel to choose the initial teams, although those of our younger members might not get the joke.

Date: October 12, 2007 12:09AM

KeithK
Jacob '06
In order to implement a relegation scheme the AHL would need to drop affiliation agreements with NHL clubs. (The article does acknowledge this in passing.) The NHL could decide to do this unilaterally (subject to any contractual obligations in the affiliation agreements). The question then is whether an unaffiliated AHL league could be financially successful. On this I'm skeptical even with a reduced NHL. The NHL clubs would presumably still form development agreements with the ECHL so the AHL would stuck in between with limited talent and the quality of play would suffer.

NHL teams could still agree to loan players under contract to AHL teams on a year by year basis.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 11:15AM

Over/under on number of days until someone on USCHO suggests promotion and relegation between Hockey East and the ECAC?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 12, 2007 12:15PM

What it comes down to is the only AHL franchises which might have a chance of being promoted are those which have near-NHL caliber arenas and can pull in the corporate-box crowd that the big NHL teams pull in. That narrows it down to Philly, Toronto, Houston, Milwaukee, Chicago, and San Antonio and maybe Norfolk, Hartford, or Hamilton. The rest of the AHL ain't moving up to the NHL.

I like the idea of getting rid of some teams, but relegation won't fly.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 12, 2007 02:39PM

I agree, but have you ever been to Copps Coliseum, RICOH Coliseum or Norfolk Scope? They make the Carrier Dome look like a palace. Just because they can hold 15,000 (Scope holds 8800 for hockey) doesn't make them NHL quality. Copps doesn't have any luxury boxes, or really enough parking for that matter. Hartford definitely considering the Whalers played at the Civic Center. Houston, Milwaukee, Chicago, San Antonio, Philly all play in big league arenas, or in the case of the Phantom what was a big league arena.

Lake Erie Monsters play at the Quicken Loans arena, which would work considering the Cav's play there. I like the Knickerbocker Arena (Times Union Center).

But look at teams like Syracuse, Binghamton, Lowell, Portland, Providence, Springfield, and Worcester who play in arenas half as nice as Lynah.

More than half the teams don't even have video replay capabilities, the ice isn't of high enough quality, the benches don't have space between them, the boards aren't big enough, and the locker rooms suck.

I can't even imagine what a Flyer player might do in a game if he was pissed off about something like that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 02:05PM by amerks127.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2007 07:38PM

amerks127
Hartford definitely considering the Whalers played at the Civic Center.

The HCC isn't today's NHL quality (and I say this as a long lost Whalers fan). A big point in trying to keep them was the need for a brand new arena with luxury boxes (HCC has sky boxes), because 'the Mall' wasn't cutting it anymore, and that was 10 years ago.

You could get away with it for a couple years I guess, but its not up to snuff to support the capacity of revenue generating features you'd need to have a successful NHL team over any modest period of time.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 14, 2007 07:53AM

Agreed with Amerks127 and DeltaOne81. This is why I used the term "near-NHL caliber" although I didn't realize the SCOPE was so small.

I know the Spectrum isn't as up to date as modern arenas, too. When the Phantoms play their important games, they're at the Wacko. The Wings no longer play at the Spectrum either. It's pretty much there for concerts, the Kixx, and a bunch of Phantoms games.

Not to mention that the two Philly teams are both owned by Comcast. Conflict of interest anyone?

Date: October 14, 2007 09:58PM

amerks127
But look at teams like Syracuse, Binghamton, Lowell, Portland, Providence, Springfield, and Worcester who play in arenas just barely nicer than Lynah.

let's not lose our heads now. They may be bigger, they may have a few more ammenities, but none of these arenas are nicer than Lynah.:-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2007 09:58PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: October 15, 2007 02:06PM

Edited for your approval.

Date: October 15, 2007 02:57PM

excelent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login