Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Football: Battle of the 'nells

Posted by Scersk '97 
Football: Battle of the 'nells
Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2007 02:14PM

Cornell  38
Bucknell 14
I, for one, would like to read impressions of the game beyond the Cornell writeup and the non-existent Times wrap. Looking at the box, we seem to have, ahem, dominated. Type away!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 02:17PM by Scersk '97.

Re: Football: Battle of the 'nells
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2007 03:16PM

You're right; we did dominate. Siwula kept finding holes to pick up a few yards, and Bucknell just didn't seem able to make a big stop when they needed to stay in the game. Bucknell had a decent second quarter and was definitely within striking distance, but they had issues holding onto the football.

Surprisingly large crowd for the game considering the Novemberish weather. Athletics pulled out every promotion in the book to get students to come, and most people stayed at least until halftime... rolleyes

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2007 04:39PM

Webcast started out OK, but turned into the "strobe" effect in the second quarter and for most of the second half. iBNsports was very responsive to emails. Asked them about "full screen" and was told the quality of the source material wasn't good enough to show in the larger format. Was told the "strobe" problem might be "bandwidth issues" at my end, but I had no problems switching over to watch the archived videos from 2006.

How did others find the webcast?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2007 05:26PM

Al DeFlorio
I never got it to work. The live stats worked fine, but the video would not play. I reinstalled the latest Windows Media and did all the other obvious things, but got nothin'.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 16, 2007 05:31PM

Al DeFlorio

About the same as you. The first quarter was fine, but it got really choppy for the rest of the game.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2007 05:51PM

The whole game was broadcast live on SlopeTV.com and was replayed later last night.

Date: September 16, 2007 06:18PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
I never got it to work. The live stats worked fine, but the video would not play. I reinstalled the latest Windows Media and did all the other obvious things, but got nothin'.
Did you click on the "Bucknell" button listed under "2007?" The iBNsports staff was very responsive during the game.

Can you get either of the 2006 highlights videos to work?

Date: September 16, 2007 06:26PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Did you click on the "Bucknell" button listed under "2007?" The iBNsports staff was very responsive during the game.

Can you get either of the 2006 highlights videos to work?

I tried the Bucknell button during the game with no effect. Now, the archive clip runs fine.

For the 2006 highlights, the iBN intro plays but not the game video.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 06:27PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2007 10:09PM

I had no trouble getting the game in Internet Explorer through a 10mpbs wireless connection. No strobing or any other issues for the duration of the game, except for some programming issues during halftime. Not so much luck with Firefox.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2007 07:05AM

Worked ok on my end, with same transmission issues as noted by others.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2007 10:12PM

I tried to join the party shortly before half-time. I just missed the field goal attempt that hit the uprights. Broadband cable connection. Windows XP. Firefox. The audio came through smoothly, but to call the video stroboscopic or choppy would be generous. I got a fresh, still shot of the backfield between plays every ten or fifteen seconds or so. I tried SlopeTV, getting on as their half-time show started. It took me a little longer than it might have, since I had already forgotten from an earlier attempt that they cause Firefox to crash. I quickly decided that watching the announcer sway back and forth as he commented on national games I didn't care about wasn't worth the time, so I abandoned them both.

Date: September 19, 2007 01:56AM

metaezra
I had no trouble getting the game in Internet Explorer through a 10mpbs wireless connection. No strobing or any other issues for the duration of the game, except for some programming issues during halftime. Not so much luck with Firefox.
Hmm. I've been so weaned from IE I didn't event think to try it. bang Microsoft sucks -- except when it works.

Date: September 19, 2007 06:10PM

Thank you, ebilmes, for providing your impressions of the game and not dithering on about the webcast.

Date: September 19, 2007 09:11PM

Scersk '97
Thank you, ebilmes, for providing your impressions of the game and not dithering on about the webcast.
Hard to "provid[e] impressions of the game" when you're seeing "a fresh, still shot of the backfield between plays every ten or fifteen seconds or so." Sorry you regard sharing experiences with others as "dithering." Next time try tuning in and forming your own "impressions of the game."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2007 09:12PM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: September 20, 2007 11:44AM

Well, since we're parsing, I would've liked to have read "impressions," i.e., things I couldn't get from traditional media outlets--reports on the crowd, gripes about the opposing fans, appraisals of the tailgating. As far as watching the game goes, I had other things to do at that time, which is why I looked around for recaps and came to the forum to read what people had to say about the game.

Maybe I haven't posted in a while, and maybe I don't post as much as I used to, but, as I've said in the past, this kind of gratuitous thread drift bugs me. If people want to bitch about the webcast, they can do so in another topic. It's very easy to start a new one.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 11:57AM

Scersk '97
Maybe I haven't posted in a while, and maybe I don't post as much as I used to, but, as I've said in the past, this kind of gratuitous thread drift bugs me.

Scersk, eLF... eLF, Scersk. There, now you've met :-P

Date: September 20, 2007 12:34PM

DeltaOne81
Scersk '97
Maybe I haven't posted in a while, and maybe I don't post as much as I used to, but, as I've said in the past, this kind of gratuitous thread drift bugs me.

Scersk, eLF... eLF, Scersk. There, now you've met :-P

Which is, perhaps, why I haven't posted in a while... bang

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 08:09PM

Kite Hill was "sold out" for tailgating passes well before game time - at least I was told it was sold out when I got there about an hour before kickoff. The Kite Hill scene was as good as I have seen it in years (leaving aside the wonderful crowds for lacrosse last spring), with parties all over the lot. CFA, the radion station or someone set up one of those enclosed inflatable mesh sided "bouncing rooms" (I don't know how else to describe it) and there were lots of young children there. Lots of grills, plenty of beverages, and a lot of wandering from tailgate to tailgate. It was a fun crowd.

To my astonishment, on walking up the ramp into the tunnel to enter the crescent, the fans ahead of me came to a stop and there we stood, inching forward, while an usher - I'm not kidding - stopped each person coming up the tunnel and asked to see a ticket. On presenting a ticket, the fan was instructed where the seat was. Cornell with actual reserved seating for a football game. Incredible. If Cornell actually paid someone one to serve as an usher in a stadium where there has not been real reserved seating in the memory of anyone that I know in Ithaca that, to my mind, would be doubly incredible. Excellent nut use of resources if that is the case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login